Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2017 12:39:45 PM EDT
Cross posting here, from my original thread "Manufacturing companies (employment) in Waco,TX" in GD...

OK GD, here's the deal...
Will be finalizing things here (now in AZ) with the sale of my CA home, for my move to Waco, and need to find work at some point.

A brief history:
I've got 20 years under my belt from the now previous employer, which was a small commercial job shop - metal stamping, forming, laser cutting, etc.
My function was operations manager, having grown to that position from entry level office data entry, billing, packing, shipping etc.

We did things very old school in this company. No computers for managing or running of the company like one might find in a typical manufacturing environment these days. We actually walked the shop floor and got involved a bit in what was going on. Records were all on paper, and we we very good at running things this way as a small 6 person open office. Hell, we lived and died by post it notes and note pads, but we found that they never needed rebooting or suffered from a data loss, and information and job history was immediately accessible to everyone at all times. Very respected company in the manufacturing industry in SoCal.

We did have our own in house tool-making to support and service our press shop, using MasterCAM for very simple 2D layouts and tool-paths for laser and old wire EDM.

As most of our customers were smaller to medium companies that built a product of some sort, I'm kinda' interested in finding a position with that kind of company if not another small job shop.
Some of our active (daily/weekly work) customers to give you an idea:
Flat Out Engineering
Edelbrock
Magnuson
Carsound/Magnaflow
Pro Circuit
EPI/Rush Racing
TRD
Harley Davidson & Honda via Markland Industries
Dillon Precision
Mesa Tactical
McMillan USA
Ernie Ball/Music Man
Lace Pickups
Magtek
Stellar Solar
etc., etc., etc. - to ~500 active customers

Who's got some leads out there in ARFCOM land?
From my list above, you can assume my experience is in dealing with automotive and recreational vehicle accessory manufacturers in particular, along with other high end "toys" and leisure time activity products.

Thanks in advance,
A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck on the job hunt.
When will you be here?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:53:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good luck on the job hunt.
When will you be here?
View Quote
North Waco/China Spring area.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Any reason for Waco in particular?  Lot more opportunities elsewhere
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Any reason for Waco in particular?  Lot more opportunities elsewhere
View Quote
Seemed like it would nice overall, with lots potential for growth down the road - yet still kinda' country feeling.
Also seems to have quite a bit of shopping and other resources available and close to most of the area.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Well you'll be about an hour and fifteen minutes south of me
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Perhaps a lot of potential down the road, but if you were looking for "small" town feel with potential for growth I would think a town on the edge of a DFW suburb, maybe Buda/some other town between Austin and SA, etc. I've heard Waco is growing and I've heard it's falling apart, I don't know.

Waco is a weird spot.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#7]
American Vault

I've installed a ton of their equipment over the years, safes, pneumatic tube systems, deal drawers, SD boxes, built their vaults and installed their doors.  

Great product line.

To this day, Owner Steve Cunningham can be found daily in his jeans and work boots on the loading dock overseeing operations.

Not sure if they are hiring, but it would be worth dropping off a resume.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:52:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Look up Texas Hydralics.  Either in Waco, Temple, or in between.  Son worked there for several years while in college learning to be a welder.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't forget SpaceX over in McGregor just west of Waco.  Trane also has a plant out there but SpaceX would be the better of the two if you don't mind occasional long hours.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:11:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
American Vault

I've installed a ton of their equipment over the years, safes, pneumatic tube systems, deal drawers, SD boxes, built their vaults and installed their doors.  

Great product line.

To this day, Owner Steve Cunningham can be found daily in his jeans and work boots on the loading dock overseeing operations.

Not sure if they are hiring, but it would be worth dropping off a resume.
View Quote
Thanks, I'll look into them.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I believe L-3 Integration, or whatever it is called now, is in Waco.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:49:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I live in one of the burbs outside waco, and it's a great place. Only downside I see is Waco ISD scholastic scores suck pretty bad, and the interstate can randomly shut down for silly things.

Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:20:32 AM EDT
[#13]
http://www.tmiusa.com/

https://www.kormachine.com/
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:59:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, look into L3 Platform Integration. Makes their own airplane parts.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Bump for some changes...

Hello all. Slight change in plans here, and wondering about the Fort Worth area.

Any insight into desirable suburbs/neighborhoods, with low (and growing) to modest home prices?
Also of course, any tips on work based on my OP for the Fort Worth area.

Family has made some changes in their thinking, and no longer see Waco as the place to go. So now we are all looking more north to the Fort Worth area for better economics and job opportunities.

Thanks in advance,
A.W.D.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:21:39 AM EDT
[#16]
River Oaks isn't bad, on the right side of the boulevard. The schools suck.
Are you wanting Ft. Worth or something outside it?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
My preference is for more of an out in the country feeling with the accessibility of the metro/city area for work and everything else.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#18]
It gets a lot more country south of Burleson
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It gets a lot more country south of Burleson
View Quote
 I'm trying to keep people out of here.  https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4436-County-Road-424-Cleburne-TX-76031/28620726_zpid/?fullpage=true
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#20]
That's a nice place
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My preference is for more of an out in the country feeling with the accessibility of the metro/city area for work and everything else.

A.W.D.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A.W.D.
Everyone moved to Aledo and further West.
There may be something left.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Lockheed Martin is hiring lots of people for the increase in F-35 production. My buddy is in process with them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top