Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/6/2017 9:50:21 AM EDT
OK GD, here's the deal...
Will be finalizing things here (now in AZ) with the sale of my CA home, for my move to Waco, and need to find work at some point.

A brief history:
I've got 20 years under my belt from the now previous employer, which was a small commercial job shop - metal stamping, forming, laser cutting, etc.
My function was operations manager, having grown to that position from entry level office data entry, billing, packing, shipping etc.

We did things very old school in this company. No computers for managing or running of the company like one might find in a typical manufacturing environment these days. We actually walked the shop floor and got involved a bit in what was going on. Records were all on paper, and we we very good at running things this way as a small 6 person open office. Hell, we lived and died by post it notes and note pads, but we found that they never needed rebooting or suffered from a data loss, and information and job history was immediately accessible to everyone at all times. Very respected company in the manufacturing industry in SoCal.

We did have our own in house tool-making to support and service our press shop, using MasterCAM for very simple 2D layouts and tool-paths for laser and old wire EDM.

As most of our customers were smaller to medium companies that built a product of some sort, I'm kinda' interested in finding a position with that kind of company if not another small job shop.
Some of our active (daily/weekly work) customers to give you an idea:
Flat Out Engineering
Edelbrock
Magnuson
Carsound/Magnaflow
Pro Circuit
EPI/Rush Racing
TRD
Harley Davidson & Honda via Markland Industries
Dillon Precision
Mesa Tactical
McMillan USA
Ernie Ball/Music Man
Lace Pickups
Magtek
Stellar Solar
etc., etc., etc. - to ~500 active customers

Who's got some leads out there in ARFCOM land?
From my list above, you can assume my experience is in dealing with automotive and recreational vehicle accessory manufacturers in particular, along with other high end "toys" and leisure time activity products.

Thanks in advance,
A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Waco? I'm assuming you've been there but.......Waco?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Cat, Coke, Mars, Allergan, L3, SpaceX, Time, Marathon and some other smaller ones are the main manufacturing places.

I'm an engineer at Allergan, we don't do anything machining wise, we shop all that out. 

Contrary to Waco's rep, it's booming and is a pretty damn decent place to live. 
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:58:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Waco? I'm assuming you've been there but.......Waco?
View Quote
Yep, and that part is pretty settled.
Family and I are after a different kind of life in our escape from CA, and have been discussing it for a couple years now.

Taking the chance on fate and circumstances. I'm making the move first and the rest will be following next summer as mother and father in law retire. Brother in law plus my step daughter.
With the sale of my home here in CA, I'll be able to afford a pretty comfortable fresh start, and my cost of living will be dramatically lower that what I had t support in CA.

So, back to the topic, and any constructive input.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you know Chip and Joanna

Good luck with move
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thanks for that part in particular. It's encouraging.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:01:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do you know Chip and Johann << No, but would be fun to meet them. Maybe Chip would like help on "demo days?" :)

Good luck with move << Thank you!
View Quote
A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:06:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Waco is doing very well right now. Wife and I were just down there and surprised how much it changed in just the last 3 years. I honestly accredit that TV show with its recent surge in popularity.

Just avoid the Twin Peaks.

Welcome to Texas dude!
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Free bump.

The Twin Peaks is still sitting empty.

Once you are settled hit up the Texas Rangers museum.

Rudys is decent if your quickly passing through, but that is about the extent of my memory.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks for that part in particular. It's encouraging.

A.W.D.
View Quote
Sure thing! Wish I knew some of the smaller job shop type places so I could be of more help. Good luck with the search!

Best gunshop in town is probably Fun Guns for tactical type stuff, best gun range is in Axtell, Tx just north of Waco behind the BBQ place. They've started doing a big MG shoot out there every year now. Lanes out to 600yds I think? Paper/steel, tannerite sometimes if owner knows you. 
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

With the sale of my home here in CA, I'll be able to afford a pretty comfortable fresh start, and my cost of living will be dramatically lower that what I had t support in CA

A.W.D.
View Quote
Not Waco specific but general advice. The proceed$ from the CA home can buy a big place in TX.  I suggest when home shopping, buy enough home but not too much home. 

Set aside the extra $$ for future needs. College fund, retirement ect.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Free bump.

The Twin Peaks is still sitting empty.

Once you are settled hit up the Texas Rangers museum.

Rudys is decent if your quickly passing through, but that is about the extent of my memory.
View Quote
Already on our list of "must do."

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Isn't Coll Materials down there, making stuff for Axion Structural?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:17:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm an hour up the road and can't think of any place in Waco to work. When you do get here head north to West and get some kolaches. http://www.czechstop.net/

Also let me know when you get here and I'll come say hi.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not Waco specific but general advice. The proceed$ from the CA home can buy a big place in TX.  I suggest when home shopping, buy enough home but not too much home. 

Set aside the extra $ for future needs. College fund, retirement ect.
View Quote
Thanks, though have been looking at homes and studying for quite a few months now and dealing with a Waco area realtor as well.
Have actually settled on a new construction home in a new neighborhood. Having spent the last five years in my CA home remodeling, renovating and otherwise fixing things up, I need a break from all that and a relatively easy home life for this move and big change.

Will be doing an all cash deal for the new house, and not looking back at having a mortgage any time soon.

Circumstances of change give me an opportunity to start over and buy a new house in full. So taking advantage of that and gonna give it my best shot.
At least without a mortgage and no other credit debt, my cost to live will be relatively low.

Now or never!

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#15]
You might see if the chamber of commerce has a listing of business in Waco, if not email them and see what they can send you.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#16]
If you live south, like Lorena or Robinson, both good school systems, it puts Temple within a resonable commute.  I-35, though, can be a cruel mistress.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks, though have been looking at homes and studying for quite a few months now and dealing with a Waco area realtor as well.
Have actually settled on a new construction home in a new neighborhood. Having spent the last five years in my CA home remodeling, renovating and otherwise fixing things up, I need a break from all that and a relatively easy home life for this move and big change.

Will be doing an all cash deal for the new house, and not looking back at having a mortgage any time soon.

Circumstances of change give me an opportunity to start over and buy a new house in full. So taking advantage of that and gonna give it my best shot.
At least without a mortgage and no other credit debt, my cost to live will be relatively low.

Now or never!

A.W.D.
View Quote
Pretty much my exact story.. ended up in Wimberley though.

The buying the house part in cash was a little anticlimactic, there wasn't any actual cash and it was all done by electronic bank transfers..

If I did it again I would demand there at least be a briefcase full of cash at closing... for dramatic effect.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:55:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you live south, like Lorena or Robinson, both good school systems, it puts Temple within a resonable commute.  I-35, though, can be a cruel mistress.
View Quote
Will be north actually, essentially China Spring.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:57:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Pretty much my exact story.. ended up in Wimberley though.

The buying the house part in cash was a little anticlimactic, there wasn't any actual cash and it was all done by electronic bank transfers..

If I did it again I would demand there at least be a briefcase full of cash at closing... for dramatic effect.
View Quote
Yeah, mine too will be all electronic transfers and such, maybe one big check to someone from me, but the mortgage free aspect will come into its own after a few months or more of not making that payment.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:57:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

A.W.D.
View Quote
that's a good area
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You might see if the chamber of commerce has a listing of business in Waco, if not email them and see what they can send you.
View Quote
Good idea, thank you.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Cat, Coke, Mars, Allergan, L3, SpaceX, Time, Marathon and some other smaller ones are the main manufacturing places.

I'm an engineer at Allergan, we don't do anything machining wise, we shop all that out. 

View Quote
This is just about everything I can think of

Welcome to Waco, avoid anything close to Baylor at night if you don't like roaming hobos everywhere and avoid the obvious locales at night
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#23]
... Tiger Valley
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#24]
L3 PID is one place I would apply. I know it's larger, but it's better to be picky after you have regular income.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Post in the HTF.
Good luck in your move.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Welcome to Waco, avoid anything close to Baylor at night if you don't like roaming hobos everywhere and avoid the obvious locales at night
View Quote
Will do, though I'm very much a home-body, so avoiding those places should be easy for me.
I'll be safely locked away in my fortress of solitude - with beer, firearms, high speed internet and my Dobermann :)

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm an hour up the road and can't think of any place in Waco to work. When you do get here head north to West and get some kolaches. http://www.czechstop.net/

Also let me know when you get here and I'll come say hi.
View Quote
Slovacek's > Czech Stop

But seriously if anyone makes it up/down to us in West, anywhere that has kolaches/klobasnek (we call them all kolaches though, the latter is the meat variety) is good Westfest is Labor Day weekend if you're into the whole "let's get hammered when it's 105° outside and 100% humidity" thing
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:10:59 AM EDT
[#28]
I can't give any advice but welcome to Tejas homie.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:19:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Will do, though I'm very much a home-body, so avoiding those places should be easy for me.
I'll be safely locked away in my fortress of solitude - with beer, firearms, high speed internet and my Dobermann :)

A.W.D.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A.W.D.
To be completely fair though it's 100% worth fighting off a few hobos with a stick to go grab a beer and food at George's
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
... Tiger Valley
View Quote
OP will be very close to Chandler's and also  Central Texas Rifle and Pistol
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#31]
So OP you are bringing your whole family here to give us your damn ca gun laws and carb trash????

If ya'll really wanted to live the TX life you would have kept it in CA like it was 50 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
OP will be very close to...Central Texas Rifle and Pistol
View Quote
This one will be right down the road.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#33]
I picture the OP taking over the old Twin Peaks place and turning it into the Arfcom Bar & Grill
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So OP you are bringing your whole family here to give us your damn ca gun laws and carb trash????
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Uummm, no.
Our exodus is to escape "damn ca gun laws and carb trash," but thank you for your support.

Quoted:If ya'll really wanted to live the TX life you would have kept it in CA like it was 50 years ago.
We've all tried, but were outnumbered by idiots (liberals), illegals and corrupt government officials, but again - thank you for your support.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:05:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Slovacek's > Czech Stop

But seriously if anyone makes it up/down to us in West, anywhere that has kolaches/klobasnek (we call them all kolaches though, the latter is the meat variety) is good Westfest is Labor Day weekend if you're into the whole "let's get hammered when it's 105° outside and 100% humidity" thing
View Quote
I always preferred Gerik's Bakery.

When I was in Waco, I drove up to West every other day for kolaches.

I also gained 40 lbs.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#36]
don't forget Team has a job listings and people posting looking for work.  GD moves so quick it might get missed.

best of luck. wish I could do something similar.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:07:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If ya'll really wanted to live the TX life you would have kept it in CA like it was 50 years ago.
View Quote
A lot of the reason why Cali is fucked is because of all the trash that moves there from other states, including Texas. 
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I picture the OP taking over the old Twin Peaks place and turning it into the Arfcom Bar & Grill
View Quote
Don't know about that, though the family has some ideas about a BBQ catering business once they arrive and get established.

As well, I've been know to know my way around my smoker.
We made it as a side project at the previous employer. Works great!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I also gained 40 lbs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Slovacek's > Czech Stop

I also gained 40 lbs.
Gerik's actually closed a year or so ago I never was crazy about them though, they seemed to cook everything to the point it had a crust like regular bread
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Don't know about that, though the family has some ideas about a BBQ catering business once they arrive and get established.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/287441/IMG_20160124_102410524_HDR_-_Copy-273250.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/287441/IMG_20160124_134929709_-_Copy-273251.JPG

A.W.D.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/287441/IMG_20160124_102410524_HDR_-_Copy-273250.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/287441/IMG_20160124_134929709_-_Copy-273251.JPG

A.W.D.
You're gonna have some serious competition.....it's almost like every other person has a competition BBQ trailer
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:19:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You're gonna have some serious competition.....it's almost like every other person has a competition BBQ trailer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A.W.D.
Yeah, the family has some big ideas about all that, but I'm not quite convinced it's a very viable means of actually making a living for multiple people.
At least not yet, and not before a few years of hard work and learning the ropes - earning the reputation.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:21:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

A.W.D.
View Quote
There is a shop by the  airport, they always has a "hiring machinist" sign out front.
We used to do some work for another shop that was close to China spring, I will try and find out their name tomorrow.
My mother in law lived in China spring, real close to Lake Waco it is a nice area
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Speaking of BBQ, here's a good first stop once you hit town

Vitek's

Vitek's "Gut Pack"
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep, it's become a hot spot to move to.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yep, it's become a hot spot to move to.
View Quote
Kinda' counting on this in the years to come as well. Making the home I purchase now act as money in the bank for the future, and ideally the dream-home on some land.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Welcome to the United States.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:27:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
... Tiger Valley
View Quote
Was coming to post this...

Definitely Tiger Valley...
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#48]
OP, did you post this request over in the Texas HTF?  I'm sure someone there can give you up close and personal info.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#49]
2 openings at the O-I glass plant there.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#50]
RAM Aircraft at Waco Airport.  Lots of machining done there!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top