BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Texas does have laws that prohibit price gouging on essential items during emergencies. A $99 Pmag isn't an essential item.
Texas law on Price Gouging

While I choose not to do business with CTD for my own reasons, I don't have a problem with them or anyone else selling their own damn property for whatever price they want. I don't whine PRICE GOUGING!!! when someone on the EE lists a gun or other item for more that I think its worth......I just move on.

Cheaper Than Dirt did cancel AR orders the day after Sandy Hook because their website didn't show actual live inventory. It would accept orders for guns, but orders exceeded their actual inventory. CTD wasn't the only retailer to experience this. If your local gun dealer has a website shell for Gallery of Guns it shows guns in inventory at Davidsons, a distributor in Arizona.....not at your LGS.

During the Obama panics the one place you could find ammo in any caliber was Cheaper Than Dirt or Cheaper Than Dirt Guns. You would pay double for a box of ammo, but when WalMart/Academy/Cabelas & your local gun store didn't have jack squat on the shelf you could get it at CTD. Waiting until a panic to stock up on AR's/magazine/ammo proves that poor planning can be expensive. And for those that say their local gun store didn't raise prices? If you are out of stock it doesn't really matter what the price is does it?

Anyone that paid $99 for an AR magazine deserves to pay $99 for an AR magazine. And I really doubt that CTD sold too many of those $99 AR mags.........meaning they didn't actually profit. Sure, advertising a $99 AR magazine made them look stupid, but it isn't gouging, predatory, illegal or unethical.

Some of you guys must love Bernie Sanders.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As far as  I can see it, there is a fine line between free-market and predatory. I don't know about the rest of the uncivilized world, but in Florida they have laws against those practices. Places trying to charge five dollars for a gallon of water, 100%< mark-up on generators, etc.  As far as I'm concerned, the second amendment and shooting industry in general has been in a time of crisis since the '89 fiasco was passed. (Ok, '34 & '68 were worse, but  they didn't cause trends like 89 dId.)

Texas does have laws that prohibit price gouging on essential items during emergencies. A $99 Pmag isn't an essential item.

While I choose not to do business with CTD for my own reasons, I don't have a problem with them or anyone else selling their own damn property for whatever price they want. I don't whine PRICE GOUGING!!! when someone on the EE lists a gun or other item for more that I think its worth......I just move on.

Cheaper Than Dirt did cancel AR orders the day after Sandy Hook because their website didn't show actual live inventory. It would accept orders for guns, but orders exceeded their actual inventory. CTD wasn't the only retailer to experience this. If your local gun dealer has a website shell for Gallery of Guns it shows guns in inventory at Davidsons, a distributor in Arizona.....not at your LGS.

During the Obama panics the one place you could find ammo in any caliber was Cheaper Than Dirt or Cheaper Than Dirt Guns. You would pay double for a box of ammo, but when WalMart/Academy/Cabelas & your local gun store didn't have jack squat on the shelf you could get it at CTD. Waiting until a panic to stock up on AR's/magazine/ammo proves that poor planning can be expensive. And for those that say their local gun store didn't raise prices? If you are out of stock it doesn't really matter what the price is does it?

Anyone that paid $99 for an AR magazine deserves to pay $99 for an AR magazine. And I really doubt that CTD sold too many of those $99 AR mags.........meaning they didn't actually profit. Sure, advertising a $99 AR magazine made them look stupid, but it isn't gouging, predatory, illegal or unethical.

I agree with all of this, but what do you say to their practice of cancelling standing orders, claiming "out of stock" only to relist the same item the same day at a much higher price?
It happened to a lot of us after Sandy Hook, including those of us who had orders placed before the shootings.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
As far as  I can see it, there is a fine line between free-market and predatory. I don't know about the rest of the uncivilized world, but in Florida they have laws against those practices. Places trying to charge five dollars for a gallon of water, 100%< mark-up on generators, etc.  As far as I'm concerned, the second amendment and shooting industry in general has been in a time of crisis since the '89 fiasco was passed. (Ok, '34 & '68 were worse, but  they didn't cause trends like 89 dId.)
View Quote

What is the 89 ban you are referring too? I'm a bit young to know about that (I was only 8) so I want to research that some more.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 6:01:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree that there the government should not have any more power (than what it already does) in regulating the price of gun products. Otherwise they would jack up the price to make sure you couldn't afford it. That was the goal behind the NFA. Hell, we are already paying an 11% federal tax on guns and ammo.

I think the free market approach has and still is playing out with CTD. While not illegal, it was still dishonest. People were repulsed by the dishonest tactics so now they use their free market rights to not shop at CTD and they use their free speech rights to speak out against that dishonesty as seen in this thread. 4 years later, CTD is still reaping the consequences.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 6:04:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 6:41:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The 89 Ban, or 89 Importation Ban, was when evil "Assault Rifles" that had certain features were banned from being imported into the country. They could still be made and sold here, (of course domestic gun companies had no problem with a law blocking competition at the time) but any imported gun had to have a certain number of US made parts or basically have the "evil features" removed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the 89 ban you are referring too? I'm a bit young to know about that (I was only 8) so I want to research that some more.

The 89 Ban, or 89 Importation Ban, was when evil "Assault Rifles" that had certain features were banned from being imported into the country. They could still be made and sold here, (of course domestic gun companies had no problem with a law blocking competition at the time) but any imported gun had to have a certain number of US made parts or basically have the "evil features" removed.

The 89 import ban was a Daddy Bush executive order to the ATF, never went through Congress. Ban FN FAL's, HK's forced thumb hole stocks on AK's.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 6:59:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I agree with all of this, but what do you say to their practice of cancelling standing orders, claiming "out of stock" only to relist the same item the same day at a much higher price?
It happened to a lot of us after Sandy Hook, including those of us who had orders placed before the shootings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the first time I've heard of CTD cancelling orders placed BEFORE Sandy Hook. After Sandy Hook several retailers had problems with orders exceeding inventory. That's possible because few gun retailers have accurate accounting of live inventory. Their software would let you order 500 widgets when only ten were in stock.
And CTD didn't immediately relist gun inventory the same day.........it's pretty common knowledge that they removed all gun listings almost immediately....and it was like that for several days. There are threads here on this forum where arfcommers were wondering if they removed guns from their website because of political correctness (ala Dicks). In reality it was because their software and systems couldn't handle thousands of orders when they may have only had 100's of guns.

Every firearms dealer sources inventory from multiple distributors. Each of those distributors has different pricing. That alone doesn't explain why CTD would relist with a higher price, but good business sense does. A successful business does not markup based on their cost, they markup based on anticipated replacement/reorder cost. (you don't sell Colt 6920's for $999 today, when your reorder cost is $1100 each. If the product isn't available, then the retailer may need to raise prices on current inventory simply to stay in business.

Stop and think about the mom and pop gun dealers who went belly up since January 2012. They went belly up not because of demand, but because of limited or nonexistent supply. Distributors allocate inventory to their largest and most profitable accounts first. Academy/Cabelas/WalMart will get guns that aren't available to the little guys.

<----little guy kitchen table FFL who is on a four year old waitlist to get .22LR bulk packs from RSR.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm talking bulk ammo, not just guns.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Is there a relationship with CTD and Defender Outdoors? I saw some ammo online and went to purchase it.  The price was much higher in the store.  I asked and was told the online prices are different because its not the same store.  I then asked if its the same people as CTD and was told not all of them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:48:01 PM EDT
[#11]
IBTL & Nuke

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 11:05:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Wow, is that all someone with a masters degree makes in architecture?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I meet all of your criteria, can type much faster than that, have a Master of Architecture, and a great memory. I live in Dallas but wouldn't mind moving to Ft. Worth. Could you start me around $75,000 annually?

I also just graduated in May. I make significantly less than $75k right now, and I'll make significantly more than $75k in the future. But that's about what it would take, right now, for me to take a job at CTD.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 11:54:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I also just graduated in May. I make significantly less than $75k right now, and I'll make significantly more than $75k in the future. But that's about what it would take, right now, for me to take a job at CTD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I meet all of your criteria, can type much faster than that, have a Master of Architecture, and a great memory. I live in Dallas but wouldn't mind moving to Ft. Worth. Could you start me around $75,000 annually?

Oh, I see. That's not bad at all.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 11:55:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that the orgins of 922r?
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 5:14:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ATF regulations from the 89 Import Excutive Order was where 922r comes from.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 9/2/2016 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#17]

this last pic is perfect  
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
... Oh and for those of you who were being snarky about $50 an hour, if you were being sarcastic you don't need to read any further. If you're being serious and have any openings at $40/hr or higher within 20 mi of Conroe (or work from home), please pm me.
View Quote

I'm not within 20 miles of Conroe, I'm in the Austin area...  lots of openings around where I'm at over $40/hr.  In IT that is entry level crap money these days.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top