User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 5:34:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
GREAT NEWS!!!

first.  22 Mag and WRF are now legal on state lands!  Removed the word long rifle and smaller.  Just says 22 rimfire now.
And squirrel now continues thru Oct.  

new laws

Few others but that really tickles me.  

Wish I could find a law on hunting muskrat and beaver with a firearm.  If any one has one let me know.
View Quote

Where did you see that?
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 5:55:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Where did you see that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GREAT NEWS!!!

first.  22 Mag and WRF are now legal on state lands!  Removed the word long rifle and smaller.  Just says 22 rimfire now.

new laws

Wish I could find a law on hunting muskrat and beaver with a firearm.  If any one has one let me know.

Where did you see that?
under new laws 2016
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 5:57:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Where did you see that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GREAT NEWS!!!

new laws

Where did you see that?

New Laws and Regulations

The following became effective on July 1, 2016 (these changes are not included in the printed version of the 2016 Connecticut Hunting and Trapping Guide; however, updates have been made on the web version):

Junior Pheasant Hunter Training Days are now allowed on both state and private land. Originally, junior hunters could only hunt on private land for this special day.
The seasonal possession limit for snapping turtles harvested during the regulated season dates of July 15-September 30 was reduced from 30 to 10.
The “long rifle” limitation on the array of .22 caliber rimfire ammunition to be used for hunting on state-owned lands was removed.
The squirrel season begins on September 1 and continues through February 28 (excluding Sundays).
The woodchuck season is from March 15 through November 15 (excluding Sundays).
The coyote hunting season is from January 1 through December 31 (excluding Sundays).
The chukar partridge season was extended until the last day in February.
A season was established for Hungarian partridge which starts on the third Saturday in October and runs through the end of February. The daily bag limit for Hungarian partridge is two and the season bag limit is 10.
The quail season was extended through the last day in February on the following state-controlled field trial or dog training areas: Dr. John E. Flaherty Field Trial Area, Mansfield Hollow Dam, Nod Brook Management Area, and Sugarbrook Field Trial Area.
Non-toxic shot is now required for hunting coot and rail (it is already required for waterfowl hunting).
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 8:41:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm up in a tree as I type this, there has been a squirell pissing me off for 2 hours. Does that mean I can shut him up? Lol
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:55:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

New Laws and Regulations

The following became effective on July 1, 2016 (these changes are not included in the printed version of the 2016 Connecticut Hunting and Trapping Guide; however, updates have been made on the web version):

Junior Pheasant Hunter Training Days are now allowed on both state and private land. Originally, junior hunters could only hunt on private land for this special day.
The seasonal possession limit for snapping turtles harvested during the regulated season dates of July 15-September 30 was reduced from 30 to 10.
The “long rifle” limitation on the array of .22 caliber rimfire ammunition to be used for hunting on state-owned lands was removed.
The squirrel season begins on September 1 and continues through February 28 (excluding Sundays).
The coyote hunting season is from January 1 through December 31 (excluding Sundays).
A season was established for Hungarian partridge which starts on the third Saturday in October and runs through the end of February. The daily bag limit for Hungarian partridge is two and the season bag limit is 10.
The quail season was extended through the last day in February on the following state-controlled field trial or dog training areas: Dr. John E. Flaherty Field Trial Area, Mansfield Hollow Dam, Nod Brook Management Area, and Sugarbrook Field Trial Area.
Non-toxic shot is now required for hunting coot and rail (it is already required for waterfowl hunting).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
GREAT NEWS!!!

new laws

Where did you see that?

New Laws and Regulations

Cool.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:28:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:08:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes take him out.  I'm going to do some squirrel hunting/eradication on Wednesday
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm up in a tree as I type this, there has been a squirell pissing me off for 2 hours. Does that mean I can shut him up? Lol

Yes take him out.  I'm going to do some squirrel hunting/eradication on Wednesday

He actually ended up in a tree 10ft from me sitting on a branch watching the ground like I was, haha, he sat there like a statue. Just a little thing so it wasn't worth it for meat.

If you need a hand let me know
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 8:50:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I have a buddy taking me out first thing in the AM (we will be at the spot at 5am). Hopefully we have some luck!
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Good luck and have fun.  

I haven't been out for a few weeks.   Hoping to get a day off next week for early season duck.  I got a spot I scouted some woodducks last time I was out.  Plus a swamp I haven't checked this year.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 8:04:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I really don't need another hobby, but I'm getting more curious and interested in hunting.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 10:42:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I really don't need another hobby, but I'm getting more curious and interested in hunting.
View Quote

If you ever want to tag along on a hunt or scouting let me know.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#12]
No luck this morning, well I guess we had luck. I could hear a deer at first light about 40 yards away but as soon as legal shooting started someone let off about 20 shotgun rounds going after birds and it took off. I sat for a few hours then decided to get up and move (I forgot my harness so a tree stand wasn't an option). Where I heard the deer were fresh tracks that led to a game trail, found lots of prints, new and old, 2 scrapes and a few piles of scat that looked recent. My buddy brought me out to a new area this morning and it looks promising.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:11:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Early waterfowl opened today.    I'm off Monday so I should make it out.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Appreciate it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:04:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Skipping duck hunting.   Taking my 6yr old little girl out for her first time. Forgot they had no school.

I don't know who is more excited me or her.  

Going to grab some nontoxic shells amd walk to a pond and see if I can jump shoot a duck or two. If not squirrels are fun.  Got my electronic ear pro for her to wear.

Either way it should be fun.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:47:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Skipping duck hunting.   Taking my 6yr old little girl out for her first time. Forgot they had no school.

I don't know who is more excited me or her.  

Going to grab some nontoxic shells amd walk to a pond and see if I can jump shoot a duck or two. If not squirrels are fun.  Got my electronic ear pro for her to wear.

Either way it should be fun.
View Quote

Sounds like a good time
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 7:08:02 AM EDT
[#17]
still slinging arrows every night. need to start packing for last week of october. seems like  this month is flying by
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 10:47:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
still slinging arrows every night. need to start packing for last week of october. seems like  this month is flying by
View Quote

That's awesome! I'm excited for you, trip should be a blast.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the 1200 mile drive is gonna be the fun part
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's going to look like a trip to the grocery store compared to WY
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

http://heartfeltworkforce.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/asleep-at-the-wheel-commercial.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://heartfeltworkforce.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/asleep-at-the-wheel-commercial.jpg

yup
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone go bird hunting today?  I had to work but am now on vacation all week.  
Bringing my older daughter fishing tomorrow then hope to hunt all week.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Anyone go bird hunting today?  I had to work but am now on vacation all week.  
Bringing my older daughter fishing tomorrow then hope to hunt all week.
View Quote

I know someone was in Hebron last saturday
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#24]
As I was packing up my car on Monday after hunting with my youngest a game warden pulled up.

Nice guy, seemed nervous, looked way too young to be a trooper (or I'm just getting old).
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 3:53:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Do I need to take a class to be able to hunt in this state?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Do I need to take a class to be able to hunt in this state?
View Quote

Yes, firearms hunter safety for fire arms and bow hunter safety for bows. I don't think either one "covers the other".

The bow course is free, I don't believe the firearms course is but I think that is due to the cost of ammo.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 5:08:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't believe there is a state in the country that doesn't require a safety course
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I don't believe there is a state in the country that doesn't require a safety course
View Quote

The only exception is the landowner permit.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Anything that breaks up your pattern is gtg.
Most animals can not see a full spectrum of colors. Different species are drawn to certain wave lengths of light.
I've never used a scent-lok product, or variant.
My gear stays in a charcoal gear/laundry bag.
I don it after spraying it with odor neutralizer and them rubbing it on the ground. This is after getting out of the car or hunting cabin.

As said before, move slowly and keep the wind at your face.
View Quote

This. Deer can't see color. Deer will sit and stare at your orange, and then go about their relaxed business if you are still, quiet, and scent free. Camo is overated. Africans hunt in dull grey and green and have little availability to camo, And then they go kill 10 or 20 times the volume of game that we do.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:24:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Just saw this guy in Europe... would have loved to stalked him
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are several states that allow people who meet certain criteria to be exempted from the hunter safety course criteria. For example, Massachusetts exempts persons who held a hunting license in any state before 2007 from the requirement. Delaware exempts people born before 1 Jan 1967.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:45:11 AM EDT
[#32]
just got back from Illinois.  i  smoked a doe on the third morning but shoulder smacked a big shooter that night . im sure hes still alive

Link Posted: 11/13/2016 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, I found the deer I have been hearing move through my area before first light. I finally saw him Saturday. A small 4pt, with this being my first hunting season and shotgun opening on this property in a few days I am going after him before someone else does. I will be out tomorrow morning. Anyone else headed out to chase the illusive whitetail tomorrow?
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 7:31:52 AM EDT
[#34]
may get out this week sometime. not sure

id say probably not but id like to think there is hope
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 7:49:35 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Well, I found the deer I have been hearing move through my area before first light. I finally saw him Saturday. A small 4pt, with this being my first hunting season and shotgun opening on this property in a few days I am going after him before someone else does. I will be out tomorrow morning. Anyone else headed out to chase the illusive whitetail tomorrow?
View Quote

Good luck!

Link Posted: 11/25/2016 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Well I didn't kill it but this is the first time I have ever gutted, skinned and quarter a deer (I'm working I on processing it now).

My BIL works for a local PD and got me on their "deer hit list", if a deer gets hit I hear about it. I went this past Monday to pick up this button buck. It should be some good eats and I should net about 20lbs of meat (just a rough guess). His gut was busted so the back straps, front and rear quarters are all I got off him. It definitely better than letting the coyote or rot getting to this guy.

After a good wash into the deer/beer fridge it goes...

I love having a floor drain in the garage...

Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:45:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I almost forgot to add the video from the last time I went hunting. A doe busts me at 1:32.

Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:59:35 PM EDT
[#38]
You left the tongue.  Some of the best tasting meat on a mammal is found on the head.

Tongue, cheek/jowls and I forgot about neck.   Stewed neck is one of my favorite things.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 12:03:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You left the tongue.  Some of the best tasting meat on a mammal is found on the head.

Tongue, cheek/jowls and I forgot about neck.   Stewed neck is one of my favorite things.
View Quote

I didn't take the tongue or the heart and I'm regretting it now. I did clean up the neck as much as possible for grind but this was a little guy. The tenderloins and ribs were shot due to the intestines looking like a bowl of jello

ETA: he definitely gorged before getting hit, acorns, grass, etce were all inside.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Try the neck bone in.  Crock pot for a while. Then suck the meat off the bones like a heathen.

CWD may be a concern to some about eating bone in game meats.  Personally I'll roll those dice.  I'm much more likely to pick up something lethal from domestic animals.

ETA.   Next deer I come across I want to try two things.  Using the head and cooking with the skin on.  

When I worked at this one restaurant in Burgundy, they made Tete du Veau, which head of veal.  Basically a white stew made from the head.  My job was boning out the heads, blanching them, removing the hairs and cutting out the tongue.  Then it was cut into cubes and stew with vegetables
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 9:08:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Try the neck bone in.  Crock pot for a while. Then suck the meat off the bones like a heathen.

CWD may be a concern to some about eating bone in game meats.  Personally I'll roll those dice.  I'm much more likely to pick up something lethal from domestic animals.
View Quote

From my understanding CWD is still out west and not one case has been found in or near CT.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Any feedback on a decent pair of binos and/or rangefinders for someone wanting to get started in Bowhunting?

Link Posted: 12/9/2016 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Any feedback on a decent pair of binos and/or rangefinders for someone wanting to get started in Bowhunting?
View Quote

For bino's, Swarovski by far.  For a nice rangefinder, Leica.***

***. I do not hunt.  Nothing wrong with it but I hunt all of my meat at various markets and fish at City Fish.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 11:47:48 PM EDT
[#44]
@CTjer
Cabela's had a Primos "truth" rangefinder on sale for ~$120, it seems to be working very well for me. It even calculated the difference between distance/angle of the shot (example: 20yd shot, 0*= 20yrd vs. 20yrd shot, 30*=15yrds....probably not the correct math but you get the Idea)

ETA: looks like a good deal, I'm no top tier guy though...I'd rather find good bargain equipment.http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=iwiorkygoo00zk8a0104w&mi=11469&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cabelas.com%2Fproduct%2FBUSHNELL-TRUTH-RANGEFINDER-AP-BINO-COMBO%2F2134769.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dbushnell%2Brange%2Bfinder%26CQ_st%3Db
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 9:35:52 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm heading it to stateland tomorrow, I only have 3 days left to hunt before the end of the season. Anyone else going out this weekend/next week?
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 9:39:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 12:15:58 PM EDT
[#47]
I didn't see any deer this morning but I did see tons of signs. I will be going on Monday.

I did come home and make some venison hash though.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Looks yummy.

My brother-in-law just came for breakfast and brought me 10lbs of venison.  

Hopefully next year I can get my own.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top