Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2014 9:48:35 PM EDT
Today my son and I went to a shoot. Got to play with all kinds of toys. The highlight being shooting an RPK.

Anyway my son really loved shooting an AK. I am thinking of picking one up.

What ones are legal in CT to transfer? What ones to avoid?

From what I can find Googling and from other threads it looks like all Chinese guns are GTG in CT. I am not too concerned about finding an under-folder model. if I do that is a plus. I do not want the goofy thumbhole stock. I am not sure what to look for. Any help will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:03:12 PM EDT
[#1]
There is an 18 page thread on MAK90's on the first page.

I'd look for Norinco and Polytech in as close to original configuration as possible.

That is going to be the majority of pre-bans.  There are some Egyptian Maadis, Romanian rifles, and maybe some Polandball guns after that.

But Norinco and Polytech are going to be by far the most numerous.

They are also of excellent quality (provided bubba hasn't fucked with it by adding $40 railz, laz0rs, and other stupid shit).

Underfolders suck.  They are for paratroopers to strap to their chest.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:03:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Nornico mak90s are preban and legal to transfer you can get them for around $700-$800

ETA: you're going to need a trashcan also
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nornico mak90s are preban and legal to transfer you can get them for around $700-$800

ETA: you're going to need a trashcan also
View Quote

And some paki-tape and thumbtacks
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:08:29 PM EDT
[#4]
norinco polytech is probly your best bet there are some Hungarian aks out there also.theres a norinco under folder and a polytech legend on the ee right now
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:11:12 PM EDT
[#5]
be careful for 3rd holes
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#6]
@matt

I was following that thread but not sure what other CT legal guns are out there.

@firepolock

3rd hole? As in full auto sear?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@matt

I was following that thread but not sure what other CT legal guns are out there.

@firepolock

3rd hole? As in full auto sear?
View Quote

yup

there are some still out there the ATF didnt get their hands on

some yugos are legal too i think, dont know serial number info though
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:57:48 PM EDT
[#8]
What about a Zastava?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:01:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What about a Zastava?
View Quote

Pretty sure that is Yugoslavian.

Just make sure it's pre-ban.

I couldn't ever make heads or tails of the 1990's slavic wars
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What about a Zastava?
View Quote

as matt said, zastavas are yugos

but dont think the zastavas are preban
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:10:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about a Zastava?

I was very interested in that conflict - studied it a bit in school, any questions- shoot me an email. I can help to answer your questions without much bias.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:08:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about a Zastava?

About 2000 Yugo's are preban. Mix of AK/RPK/M76
Should be Mitchell's or American Arms
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:02:44 AM EDT
[#13]
There should be some Finish Valmet and Israeli Galils out there.

Kind of a Grown-up AK
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:22:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Anything pre-ban 94 or older

Chinese is the Cadillac of AK's
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:59:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Find what you want and buy it.  I discovered buying something thinking I'll just swap out a few parts. The modularity of the AR platform AK's are not, but it was a lot of fun! Goodluck!
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:37:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Norinco Make 90. The goofy thumbhole stock is easily replaced by iron wood stocks.

Don't let the stock stop you or be a hindrance.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:00:44 AM EDT
[#18]
If you are going with a Mak90, try to find the straight receiver over the slanted receiver.  It gives you more choices for stocks should you replace the rear trunnion.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:22:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I know nothing about AK's. Didn't obummer just sign an executive order banning the importation of certain AK's. Thought I may have missed my chance as prices skyrocket on existing supply.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I know nothing about AK's. Didn't obummer just sign an executive order banning the importation of certain AK's. Thought I may have missed my chance as prices skyrocket on existing supply.

Mike
View Quote

AK supply problem
Kind of an oxymoron
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Mike
View Quote

This only applies to Russian AK's.  And there are still plenty of them to sell, It looks like dealers are using this to markup their prices
I wouldnt look for a russian ak anyways.....

A MAK90 or Polyetch, depending on how much you want to spend, is your best bet.  They are ALL preban.  No questions asked....and a good dealer will do the transfer on them.  Other countries variants may be more difficult to prove are preban(not saying they dont exist) but because of clintons ban on importation of chinese rifles EVERYONE knows they were made PRIOR to 94(which is also CT's exemption cutoff year).

Good luck with the search, Im VERY happy with my chinese AK.....although I didnt really get bit by the bug to acquire more
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:50:23 PM EDT
[#23]
That one is nice!
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That one is nice!
View Quote

Real nice. I may grab it. I likes me another AK
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:19:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Mike
View Quote

Just Russian ones.

Bulgaria is still sending AFAIK
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:08:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I am actively looking for a Chinese gun.

Would love a true pre ban(1989) but they are just too much money. The only ones that I see affordable are the B West models. Lots of mixed reviews on them. Poor heat treating unless certain serial number prefix. Does anyone here have knowledge of them or should I run away?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#27]
I personally would avoid b-west.   There are plenty norincos
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:56:48 PM EDT
[#28]
You have to be careful of the "made in USA" B-west rifles.  It is well known that some of the receivers aren't heat treated.  The problem is nobody knows which serial numbers are the problems.  Plus nobody seems to know what type of metal was used.  So heat treating the receivers could be a problem.

I have a B-West receiver here.  I used the file test to check for hardness.  I couldn't make a dent in the trigger holes as I could on the rear of the receiver under the stock.  I'm confident enough to build a Romy G off that receiver.

If you watch gunbroker, you will see an example of soft receivers from time to time.

Quoted:
I personally would avoid b-west.   There are plenty norincos
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#29]
I have one that just got refinished and some custom work I want to sell.  PM me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought a Mak90 from Gunbroker. I plan to pick it up tomorrow. I have already ordered some 922 parts. Once I verify it is not a slant back I will order new wood from Ironwood.

Of course like anything I started watch more auctions and ended up buying an NHM91 as well. I wont be able to pick that up for two weeks.

Soon I will be pressing front sights and gas blocks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top