Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Guess I'll be getting some 5 round mags. Need to do some accuracy testing on different soft point 223

Very excited about this.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:58:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guess I'll be getting some 5 round mags. Need to do some accuracy testing on different soft point 223

Very excited about this.
View Quote

I was going to suggest these but they went from $9 to $17.

Maybe it was an error on their part when I bought some. They also have other 5rd as cheap as $11.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I was looking at the pmag 10 rounders and the 5 round limiters, but that gets pricey.

Thanks for the link. Might get some of those other ones and save myself some money.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:02:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I was going to suggest these but they went from $9 to $17.

Maybe it was an error on their part when I bought some. They also have other 5rd as cheap as $11.
View Quote

Thermold AR-15 Magazine, 5 Rounds - Non-Member $9.99

Cheapest I've been able to find for 5-round mags.

ETA: Came across these too - AR-Stoner Magazine AR-15 223 Remington with Anti Tilt Follower Stainless Steel - Sale $9.99
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:49:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I have not seen anything mentiond about semi auto rimfire rifles.  Are 10/22's good to go for small game?  What about semi auto .22 pistols?
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:09:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have not seen anything mentiond about semi auto rimfire rifles.  Are 10/22's good to go for small game?  What about semi auto .22 pistols?
View Quote

Yes, semi rifle passed for small game as well. IIRC it has to be 22 or smaller. Air rifle are now permitted as well.

ETA Page 33 of the PDF file(page is numbered 30)

http://www.pgc.pa.gov/InformationResources/MediaReportsSurveys/Documents/2017%20January%20Agenda.pdf
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:49:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am more Excited about this for varmint hunting than deer.  
Now after a long absense of not going out late summer afternoons for groundhogs, I will have to take one of my ARs out there
View Quote

This! Can't wait to get out and hunt some hogs with my AR.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where are there hogs in PA? I know some were released just west of Ebensburg from a failed hunting camp. When I moved away the game commission said you weren't allowed to kill them because they contracted a company to do so.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Sigh.....

No pistols though.....

Dashed are my hopes of ever using a Deagle for Deerz.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:15:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Where are there hogs in PA? I know some were released just west of Ebensburg from a failed hunting camp. When I moved away the game commission said you weren't allowed to kill them because they contracted a company to do so.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he meant (Ground) Hogs...
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe, I'm used to thinking wild bacon now since they're talked about so much on this site.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Are there caliber restrictions for whitetail?  
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Are there caliber restrictions for whitetail?  
View Quote

Nope

Small game 22 or smaller and elk 27 or larger are the only rifle caliber restrictions I'm aware of.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes...I was referring to whistle pigs...
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#15]
It's amazing the hate the semis are getting in some hunter group on Facebook. People are up in arms about it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's amazing the hate the semis are getting in some hunter group on Facebook. People are up in arms about it.
View Quote
I get this from many of the older guys at the shooting clubs I belong to.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:59:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I can finally use this for something useful!!!!!

Link Posted: 2/3/2017 4:24:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I can finally use this for something useful!!!!!

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c272/Scout198575/20140810_001838_zps0f6b6084.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/3/2017 4:31:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm now shopping for a 6.8 upper for hunting back home now that this is becoming legal
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only in PA...

I just picked up a rusty mosin-nagant and a spam can of milsurp ammo. I usually only fire my rifle when i take a shot at game.  I spent 20 mins at the range only because my friends were giving me crap about boresighting it and calling it good enough.  I was lucky to land half my shots into a pie pan at 50 yards.    - Responsible hunter out for a humane harvest, because bolt action.

I have a competition AR10 that can drop 10 shots into a quarter at 150 yards with my custom handloads or match target ammo.  I shoot every weekend because I love it.  I compete in matches and can fire accurately under stress.  - Gun toting Rambo who is going to ruin the sport for everyone, because semiautomatic.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone hear any word on the mood of the PGC when the rules come up for final vote in 2 weeks?
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 5:08:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Time to get five-rounders for my ar and time to go get my vepr .308. w00t.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I can't wait to tote around my SBR next season.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:50:30 AM EDT
[#24]
My gun clubs monthly meeting was had on Tuesday and the report we got from the game commission is that the anti semi auto people have been blowing up the phone lines of state legislators and the game commission telling them not to allow it to go through. We were encouraged to call/email our reps if it was something that was important to us. I know the law passed, but as we know the game commission doesn't always do the smartest of things.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My gun clubs monthly meeting was had on Tuesday and the report we got from the game commission is that the anti semi auto people have been blowing up the phone lines of state legislators and the game commission telling them not to allow it to go through. We were encouraged to call/email our reps if it was something that was important to us. I know the law passed, but as we know the game commission doesn't always do the smartest of things.
View Quote
The Game Commission Officer I chatted with last Saturday said the same thing about contacting reps and leaving feedback on the Game Commission Website. But he was fairly certain that it is a done deal at this point. The fact that the game commission has been hurting for some time and Gov. Wolf cut their budget this year by about $3 million, the game commission is going to do whatever they can to increase revenue. Also spoke of increasing license fees and possibly adding things like a Pheasant Stamp and such to try and continue the stocking of pheasants.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:12:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Fee increases eh?
I could support that IF and only IF the added funds went back into the sport, and not into their pensions and healthcare benefits...
There's quite a few ranges that have been shut down for more than a decade at this point.. Hell, there's none left in several counties/WMUs...
I'm fine with a Pheasant stamp... Could use more releases... build the flocks back up.
But a general license fee schedule increase? Nope, can't get on board with that unless 90% of the increase goes into gameland/range improvements and re-openings.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I took a look at the Game Commissions financial records and have to say that there is no reason they should be broke.  Gas, oil and timber revenue last year was over 100 million.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I took a look at the Game Commissions financial records and have to say that there is no reason they should be broke.  Gas, oil and timber revenue last year was over 100 million.
View Quote
They're far from broke...
They, just like the teachers unions, do not want to have to contribute toward their benefits & retirement...
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They, just like the teachers unions, do not want to have to contribute toward their benefits & retirement...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
they come to my club and cry broke all the time.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't shoot the messenger, just stating what I heard straight from the horse's mouth.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 7:41:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Don't shoot the messenger, just stating what I heard straight from the horse's mouth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah I  know.
They are full of shit 
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I was looking at the pmag 10 rounders and the 5 round limiters, but that gets pricey.

Thanks for the link. Might get some of those other ones and save myself some money.
View Quote
Just an FYI if you go the pmag/limiter route: You'll need to shave about 1/8" off the top of the limiter in order for the mag to lock in on a closed bolt...
Not really necessary if you don't plan to hunt 5+1, but I did it anyway...
Be careful... If you take off more than 5/32, you just made a 6 round mag...
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:26:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just an FYI if you go the pmag/limiter route: You'll need to shave about 1/8" off the top of the limiter in order for the mag to lock in on a closed bolt...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just so you guys know, they will be enforcing a 5 round mag rule.  you must use a 5 round mag, not a 10 round with a limiter, or any size with a limiter.  it will be 5 round mags ONLY.
This info is straight from the Game Commission
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:42:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just so you guys know, they will be enforcing a 5 round mag rule.  you must use a 5 round mag, not a 10 round with a limiter, or any size with a limiter.  it will be 5 round mags ONLY.
View Quote
Guess I'll wait to see that in print... and order some dedicated mags if necessary... Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:43:24 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm not entirely sure how they could justify that...
I mean, they allow shotgun mags/tubes to be plugged. Why not a detachable mag?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:53:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm not entirely sure how they could justify that...
I mean, they allow shotgun mags/tubes to be plugged. Why not a detachable mag?
View Quote
They told me its because the limiter is easy to remove. We both agreed that it was a bullshit ruling, but said that's what the commission  has determined was the best course to take.  Its an enforcement issue. if everyone uses a 5 round mag, then they don't have to check each one personally, they can just glass you from a distance and determine how many rounds are in it.  He spoke about how easy it would be to carry a 10 or more  rounder in your pocket and said if you are caught with a oversized mag on your person, you will be fined. 
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:39:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Local gun store has a Benelli R1 in 300 Win Mag in stock.
Very nice gun - light - points well.

Synthetic/rubberized stock - no sights.

Price: $1,050

Link ................
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:28:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link to that info please?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I talked to them.  wait till the final ruling comes out this week, and you can read about it yourself.    This whole semi auto thing isn't even a done deal yet.

you can watch the whole meeting Monday and Tuesday, http://livestre.am/5sDNo
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#40]
I read the agenda posted on the PGC site.
It contains the language of the rules changes to be approved on Tuesday.
Completely absent is any wording related to magazines needing to be dedicated 5 rounders and not limited mags of higher capacity.

I also call BS on the claims one can glass from a distance to id a 5 round mag vs a 10 rounder.
They're the same length.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:11:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I read the agenda posted on the PGC site.
It contains the language of the rules changes to be approved on Tuesday.
Completely absent is any wording related to magazines needing to be dedicated 5 rounders and not limited mags of higher capacity.

I also call BS on the claims one can glass from a distance to id a 5 round mag vs a 10 rounder.
They're the same length.
View Quote
Look. I don't post bullshit on here if I can help it.
I was at a meeting last week and the region supervisor said all this shit to a whole group of sportsmen including three other arfcommers that I know of.

I have never seen a 5 round mag in person up next to a 10 round mag.  I wish I would have known they were similar length.... I defiantly would have called him on that one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Oh I'm not doubting you heard what you heard, brother.
I'm doubting that rule or enforcement decision will make it into the digest or practice, as it's basically unenforceable.

Sure, if you make a homemade limiter for a 30 round mag, and wander thru the gamelands, I'd expect you'd be questioned on your mags capacity. But once you demonstrate it can only hold 5, the discussion should (and probably will) be over.

A flush fit 10 round mag limited to 5 won't even draw a second glance.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Oh I'm not doubting you heard what you heard, brother.
I'm doubting that rule or enforcement decision will make it into the digest or practice, as it's basically unenforceable.

Sure, if you make a homemade limiter for a 30 round mag, and wander thru the gamelands, I'd expect you'd be questioned on your mags capacity. But once you demonstrate it can only hold 5, the discussion should (and probably will) be over.

A flush fit 10 round mag limited to 5 won't even draw a second glance.
View Quote
yeah, that's what I had planned on doing.

I think he thinks its a 5 second job to take a limiter out of a mag in the field, not with a loaded mag it isnt... That doesn't even make sense to someone who wants to break the law. All they have to do is bring a bigger mag.  There has to be a level of trust here.  I mean look at it now, we have to plug shotguns and those that want to do it right, plug it.  Those that choose to break the rules, do.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#44]
And the fucking fudds win again.
At the very last minute, during today's voting, the damned chairman introduced an amendment to the proposed rules specifically disallowing semi auto use for deer bear turkey and elk. Claimed they needed to "listen to the people"...
I guess they'll figure out soon enough (via declines in license sales and game news subscriptions) that they just listened to the minority.

How do we get some new members on the board?  This shit needs to stop. My kids, nieces and nephews aren't getting any younger, and I don't want them to have to fight the same uphill battle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:57:16 AM EDT
[#45]
[email protected]
717-787-4250

Regional Offices:
NW Region:814-432-3187, 814-432-3188
SW Region: 724-238-9523, 724-238-9524
NC Region: 570-398-4744, 570-398-4745
SC Region: Phone: 814-643-1831, 814-643-9635
Ne Region Phone: 570-675-1143, 570-675-1144
SE: Phone: 610-926-3136, 610-926-3137
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:23:02 AM EDT
[#46]
I called, emailed, and hit their Facebook page (not that it's any good now)

We're going to need an arfcom campaign for the next rules cycle if we want this change to finally happen.

Even then, with the current fudd board, I have doubts.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#47]
This is really a lot of bullshit. They even said the majority of people would want this, especially younger people as they're brought up around these weapons

They're sample size of people that disagreed with allowing semi auto had an average age of 55 and they only sent out 4000 surveys with about 2500 coming back.

I'm really disappointed in how this turned out.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#48]
I actually think it's all a game of 4d Chess on the part of the board...
First, get folks excited/pissed about allowing semi-auto.
Second, reverse course at the last possible second. Piss off those for it (majority despite their stacked poll)
Third: sales and revenue decline. Get state government approval for fee increases.
Fourth: further decline in licenses sold, threatening revenue.
Fifth, allow semi-auto for big game to increase license sales.

In the long game, they get want they've wanted all along. Big increases in revenue to cover pensions and healthcare.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Just received this response

Thank you for your correspondence. The Board voted to allow the use of semi-automatic rifles for hunting furbearers, small game, and woodchucks. The Board did not extend semi-auto usage to big game hunting at this time, due to a survey that showed the majority of Pennsylvania hunters were opposed to the proposal.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#50]
I got the same.
Since it's not their usual "thank you for your comments, they will be shared with the board" response , I think they may be getting flooded with angry emails.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top