Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2017 11:25:02 AM EDT
I have been reading FS 790.25 and it seems that open carry while fishing, camping or hunting is perfectly legal in Florida.  Anybody have experience with open and 790.25?

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.25.html
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:56:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes I have.  For all three.

I also open carry to and from the range.

And, although perfectly legal, some urban LEOs are not familiar with the statute.

Also, some cities have local ordinances prohibiting fishing in some areas such as parks.

In the video below, If you could turn the camera 180 degrees you would see that they are standing in front of a fishing pier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_q7y3pFGbI
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 2:56:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#3]
So, let me get this straight, When I go fishing I can open carry? I did not know that.
I wonder though, I fish at Piney Z and it says they follow Florida Statutes on their website, however also says no possession of firearms allowed?
I don't open carry BTW, just concealed. Thoughts?

Piney Z
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 5:38:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, let me get this straight, When I go fishing I can open carry? I did not know that.
I wonder though, I fish at Piney Z and it says they follow Florida Statutes on their website, however also says no possession of firearms allowed?
I don't open carry BTW, just concealed. Thoughts?

Piney Z
View Quote

I am not familiar with Piney Z.  Is it private of is it run by a branch of the government?  It makes a difference as to the nuances of open carry.

ETA:  OK, it looks like it is run by the city of Tallahassee.  Tallahassee has a history of violating 790.33.  They cannot ban firearms.  It is against the law for them to ban firearms.

Litigation is pending.

https://www.floridacarry.org/legislation/37-news?start=5
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the response. I didn't even know that was going on (fairly new to FL, moved here two years ago from NewYorkistan)
I'll look into how I can support that locally.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the response. I didn't even know that was going on (fairly new to FL, moved here two years ago from NewYorkistan)
I'll look into how I can support that locally.
View Quote

Best way to support Florida pro gun anything...

Join Florida Carry!

https://www.floridacarry.org/
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 1:50:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I am not familiar with Piney Z.  Is it private of is it run by a branch of the government?  It makes a difference as to the nuances of open carry.

ETA:  OK, it looks like it is run by the city of Tallahassee.  Tallahassee has a history of violating 790.33.  They cannot ban firearms.  It is against the law for them to ban firearms.

Litigation is pending.

https://www.floridacarry.org/legislation/37-news?start=5
View Quote

Correct. Signs are outdated; city is preempted from banning firearms.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 5:28:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I open carry a G20 when hunting and camping but not fishing. I do CC a Shield 9mm when I fish though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:13:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Interesting responses.  I have spoken with several LEO's that have indicated they are unfamiliar with the statute.

I am going to try it and see how it works.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 1:26:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Interesting responses.  I have spoken with several LEO's that have indicated they are unfamiliar with the statute.

I am going to try it and see how it works.
View Quote

There was a video I believe from last year with some douche in Daytona walking around with an AR claiming he had the right to do so because he was fishing. You are allowed to open carry while fishing but this tool didn't even have any fishing poles and they locked his a$$ up.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 7:51:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There was a video I believe from last year with some douche in Daytona walking around with an AR claiming he had the right to do so because he was fishing. You are allowed to open carry while fishing but this tool didn't even have any fishing poles and they locked his a$ up.
View Quote

He would have been better off saying he was going to or from a shooting range. He would have had the right equipment in his possession already to make a case.

Unfortunately, the closest range to me is also a gun store with an indoor range. And the indoor range prohibits loaded weapons outside of their range, in their store, and they post as much. I would like to OC on the way to and from, but it makes no sense for me to have to unload before entering. I just CC. There is no policy specifically covering concealed carry there, but I'm guessing that they go by "concealed in concealed". Their business, their rules, still sucks though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:06:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I was at Piney Z the other day - the firearms restriction was removed from all the signs. Just FYI.

Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:09:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was at Piney Z the other day - the firearms restriction was removed from all the signs. Just FYI.
View Quote

Not from the website.

They are still promulgating a ordnance in violation of 790.33.

All black bass must be released immediately.
Panfish daily bag limit: 20
Swimming, possession of firearms, and possession of alcoholic beverages are prohibited.
Watercraft shall be allowed only as authorized by the City of Tallahassee.

http://www.pineyz.com/park.cfm
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:44:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes I've done it but it's on private land.  If you go into one of the wild life management areas it's pretty much only concealed carry.  National forest, I don't know you could probably open carry there if hunting or fishing.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes I've done it but it's on private land.  If you go into one of the wild life management areas it's pretty much only concealed carry.  National forest, I don't know you could probably open carry there if hunting or fishing.
View Quote

Iirc...most will say you need a valid hunting license and during season.
But..it's been awhile.
I mostly hang in the ocala Forest which is national...with wildlife preserves through out. Where no firearms are allowed. 
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#16]
The rules for the concealed or open carry of a handgun  in national forests mirror those of state law regarding the carrying of concealed or openly carried handguns in the state parks in which the national forests are located.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 5:45:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Let's hope our legislature passes OC this time.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 7:13:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Let's hope our legislature passes OC this time.
View Quote
Not likely..... the FL GOP is inherently anti gun. They dangle gun policy like a carrot from a stick to keep us voting for them. Hence they'll vote for SB128, a bill thag really doesn't expand anything. But they will not actually vote for bills that expand gun rights. 
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:03:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I have been open carrying when hunting for about 60 years now.    :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top