BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:55:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:46:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I'd want to see the technical specs on the lens and CMOS before buying.  Claims 1080/60, but you almost never see anything beyond 30.  So it's either really, really good and criminally underpriced or it's bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:13:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nubbins] [#3]
I bought a G1W-C from Gearbest in Nov for $41.99 with promo code GBG1W and have been very happy with it other than it took almost 30 days to be delivered. It does have some button buzz but I have been lazy and not fixed it. I am using a Samsung 32GB class 10 card with no issues so far.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I am looking at the B40/A118 cam for the better build and form factor. I'm thinking that I'll go with the capacitor just in case, for the possible heat issues.

With the capacitor model, it won't work without power supplied vs the battery model.. which is why I see some wire up the power managers that delay the power-off function to the unit.

Is there any way to have it (or any of these other cheaper cameras) start recording, for example, if your car has been turned off and left unattended for a while? Say, if someone hit-and-runs your parked car in a mall parking lot?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:49:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Just ordered the A118C version and a 32GB Samsung EVO card to go with it.

Can't wait to get it and install it in my truck...
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:06:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: duhflushtech] [#6]
Originally Posted By DDiggler:

Is there any way to have it (or any of these other cheaper cameras) start recording, for example, if your car has been turned off and left unattended for a while? Say, if someone hit-and-runs your parked car in a mall parking lot?
View Quote

Most cameras have a "parking mode" that claims to do something like that.  Alternately, a power manager like you were talking about would give power to the camera and keep it on until the battery drains to a certain point.  Neither is a great solution, IMO.  The first requires you do mess with the system to turn PM on every time you get out of the car, which defeats the "set it and forget it" point of a dashcam.  And the second means that your SD card will be quickly filled up and overwritten, potentially erasing footage that you want saved.

The usefulness of parking mode is debatable.  Some swear by it, others think it's worthless.  I tend to fall into the latter category (especially with cheap cameras that don't have the abilities and features of more expensive models).  Most cheap cameras won't record prior to the impact and take a few seconds to start going, meaning that whoever hit your car is probably already out of frame.  More expensive cams these days sometimes have a buffering feature like cameras in police cruisers that record starting a few seconds before the incident.  Either way of course, the camera won't capture footage of anything to the side or rear of your car.  Plus the other issues I mentioned above.

That said, you should probably do some research and decide for yourself.

ETA:  Techmoan is a big dash cam reviewer on youtube, and here's his opinion on the whole parking mode thing.  Again, YMMV, but I tend to agree with him.  The whole video is worth a watch if you are new to dash cams, but the part where he talks about motion detection starts at about 8:20.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:13:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DDiggler] [#7]
I live in a rural area, and would only use the "parking mode" when we go to town, etc. So I'm not concerned about any type of battery protection system. However after doing some more reading, I'd like to be able to leave my camera running (all the time) while we're parked at a WalMart, on the street, etc for a few hours. It seems like that would be more than fine without any power protection.

The main thing I would want from it would be the on/off switch, that when "off" would only send power to the camera when the engine is running. When parked at one of the higher risk spots, I could choose to turn the switch "on" and run power straight from the battery instead of the ACC circuit.

I'm sure I could wire that up myself, but I'd like to find a packaged solution that would look nicer.

ETA: It seems like the Power Magic Pro will do this AND has enough amperage to allow me to run both cams off of the single unit by adding a second cigarette lighter plug...
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I just ordered the Blackvue 650 2ch with power pro.  Hope i like it.

Anyone with the 550 or 650 blackvue out there?

My hrs of research seemed to point me in this direction.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 12:40:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

I'm thinking of going that direction... please post up your experience when you get it installed.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bullf-16:

I'm thinking of going that direction... please post up your experience when you get it installed.  

Man, how many cameras do you have?  You must go through 1 a month.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:23:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:02:31 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

I received it today and unboxed.  Lots of videos on that as you know.  Install was simple as was the android phone finding the wifi of the cameras .  I will drive in tomorrow to work in my 1500hp Camaro.  I hope the gps can keep up with the acceleration.  i can go from 60 to over 100 in a few seconds.  This is really why i got it, to see how stupid the car is at one G sitting in front of the computer or Galaxy s5.  I will install the hard wire doofer this weekend so i can use parking mode.  I usually only drive the car to work to Sheppard AFB and people are not assholes on AF bases.  But would be cool to see what happens when it sits for a few hrs in the parking lots.  

My first dash cam and this one seems spot on....but i am a total newb.

I will upload some vids when i get a chance.

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:11:36 PM EDT
[#13]

I received it today and unboxed.  Lots of videos on that as you know.  Install was simple as was the android phone finding the wifi of the cameras .  I will drive in tomorrow to work in my 1500hp Camaro.  I hope the gps can keep up with the acceleration.  i can go from 60 to over 100 in a few seconds.  This is really why i got it, to see how stupid the car is at one G sitting in front of the computer or Galaxy s5.  I will install the hard wire doofer this weekend so i can use parking mode.  I usually only drive the car to work to Sheppard AFB and people are not assholes on AF bases.  But would be cool to see what happens when it sits for a few hrs in the parking lots.    

View All Quotes

<--- Squadron 365!!! I can't believe I remember that.

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:24:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:26:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By NoloContendere:
My dad has one.  He likes it.  Iirc, it only takes a 32 GB memory card.
View All Quotes

Actually 64gb

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 11:38:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bullf-16] [#17]

As fast as I'm sure that 1500hp Camaro goes, you probably need at least a Class-10 card to keep up with the frame-rate.  
View All Quotes

Actually 64gb  

As fast as I'm sure that 1500hp Camaro goes, you probably need at least a Class-10 card to keep up with the frame-rate.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2015 11:53:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 12:28:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bullf-16] [#19]
I figured it out.  Only had the rear cam selected in the program.  GPS is laggy and still need to fiddle with the settings.  But i like it.

Link Posted: 3/13/2015 12:36:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kyoami] [#20]
I've never been too happy with the quality of GPS in these things.

I should pull the footage off my front camera. last night, a tow truck driver took off on red, went halfway into the intersection before he figured it out, the light turned green, and then he backed across the intersection.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 1:02:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#21]
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Tow truck driver says screw red lights

linked not embedded so I can send you to the time code
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#24]
My latest speed trap to add to the collection.  Mute the sound if you don't want to hear the radar detector.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 3:34:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:19:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Tag.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 3:02:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Don't turn your steering wheel while waiting for traffic to clear.

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 7:00:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:33:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ziegenbock] [#32]
G1W from new egg for $28, free shipping.  http://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIA76H2NS1697

I don't have one of these...was just posting to share.  I'm guessing this is no name brand, as they list it as generic.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:32:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By ziegenbock:
G1W from new egg for $28, free shipping.  http://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIA76H2NS1697

I don't have one of these...was just posting to share.  I'm guessing this is no name brand, as they list it as generic.
View Quote

I'd be careful - there's a good chance that it doesn't have the legit G1W chips and whatnot.  Fakes often don't have quality anywhere as decent as the real things.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:08:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By duhflushtech:

I'd be careful - there's a good chance that it doesn't have the legit G1W chips and whatnot.  Fakes often don't have quality anywhere as decent as the real things.
View All Quotes

Is there any way to tell if it is legit?  (other than ordering 1 & trying it out)
Would Newegg actually sell fakes?
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:25:58 AM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By TONTO44:

Is there any way to tell if it is legit?  (other than ordering 1 & trying it out)

View All Quotes

Sold and shipped by Arcane Dominion, not Newegg. Shipped from China on the slow boat, and most of their reviews are poor.

I think I will wait for a deal somewhere else.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:59:44 AM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

Well, the real ones usually just have a black face, last time I looked.  Didn't think they sold other colors.

As the poster above said, it's not really newegg who's selling it.  NE has sort of tried to go the amazon route over the last few years, with a bunch of third party sellers in addition to the stuff actually sold by the site.  

It's your money of course, but the legit ones generally go for about $50-60.  If it seems like it's too good to be true, it probably is.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 5:43:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#38]
OK, thanks guys!
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:26:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#39]

New pitch dark nighttime Garmin Dash Cam 20 footage.  With LOTS of lightning and rain.  Fun times.

-p.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:22:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Anyone having trouble with their G1W, where the last file from a trip is corrupted or at least not saved correctly?  The last file won't open up in the usual media players, and I don't have a video editor on this box to see if they are salvageable.  I am wondering if this is connected to using this 64 GB SD card, the instructions say it maxes out at 32.  It seemed to be recording and using the larger space but then I found this issue.  The regular 3-minute files from the middle of the trip work fine.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:12:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By mPisi:
Anyone having trouble with their G1W, where the last file from a trip is corrupted or at least not saved correctly?  The last file won't open up in the usual media players, and I don't have a video editor on this box to see if they are salvageable.  I am wondering if this is connected to using this 64 GB SD card, the instructions say it maxes out at 32.  It seemed to be recording and using the larger space but then I found this issue.  The regular 3-minute files from the middle of the trip work fine.
View Quote

I bought a G1W-C in Nov still working fine but i'm using a 32GB card.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:00:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Buzz69] [#43]
Originally Posted By 40xb-shooter:
I am looking at getting a Lukas 9700 Duo 2CH

Does anyone know the difference between the D-type and the B-type?
View All Quotes
I am looking at getting a Lukas 9700 Duo 2CH

Does anyone know the difference between the D-type and the B-type?

B-type vs. D-type

Two types of the LK-7900 ARA are available, called B-type and D-type. The difference is that while B-type has internal GPS and doesn’t have a ODB-II adapter, D-type has an external GPS antenna as well as an external ODB-II module.

So which one should you get? Simple: If your car shows as compatible in the list above, get D-type so you can use the ODB-II interface. Otherwise, get B-type.

Link

Different model above, but it seems like the D has external GPS and OBD II Module.

LUKAS LK-9700 Duo B-type Dash 2CH Cam Full HD Built-in GPS Sony Sensor Car Black Box

LUKAS LK-9700 Duo D-type Dash 2CH Cam Full HD External GPS Sony Sensor Car Black Box + LK-750 OBD?Module
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:59:38 PM EDT
[#45]
So basically the module can get data from the vehicle.

I have a 2015 Tacoma so I guess I have to decide if I want that feature or not since it is compatible with Toyota.

Thanks for the link.

View Quote

That is my guess. But, i cannot find any details on what data it records, most likely crash type information. There are some comments around the web regarding vehicle compatibility with OBD ports.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#47]

I am kind of thinking that I do not need it if the B model has GPS and can track speed. Plus if by chance it doesn't work for my vehicle I will not have wasted my money.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Buzz69:
So basically the module can get data from the vehicle.

I have a 2015 Tacoma so I guess I have to decide if I want that feature or not since it is compatible with Toyota.

Thanks for the link.

That is my guess. But, i cannot find any details on what data it records, most likely crash type information. There are some comments around the web regarding vehicle compatibility with OBD ports.

I am kind of thinking that I do not need it if the B model has GPS and can track speed. Plus if by chance it doesn't work for my vehicle I will not have wasted my money.

Agreed, the video will be more than enough.

Just "borrow" one from a cruiser.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

My experience is the GPS devices in the cameras I bought, in the truck I drive, are useless at best. My further experience with OBD-II dongles is that they are, generally, really bad. I don't see a happy way out of this
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top