User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 9:41:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By duhflushtech:

G1W will be fine for the above stuff.  Most cams in the sub-$100 pricepoint all just use the same lenses and chipsets in different cases, so unless you are willing to spend several times what a G1W costs, you won't see much, if any, improvement in image quality and the like.
View Quote

What if I'm willing t spend a little bit more?  Say $150?

Link Posted: 12/24/2015 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#4]

iPad link

Be sure you turn the volume down.

thread topic
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 10:02:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Macumazahn] [#5]
Originally Posted By RyJones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhzvTGpzQUQ

iPad link

thread topic
View Quote

I saw this on Reddit.  I'm sure the driver with the camera is happy with their investment.  That other drive looks like they denying swinging wide.

I'm thinking about this camera also.  However, I'm not sure how this one mounts.  I'd rather have a glass mount.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XKM5A96?psc=1&tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Macumazahn:

I saw this on Reddit.  I'm sure the driver with the camera is happy with their investment.  That other drive looks like they denying swinging wide.

I'm thinking about this camera also.  However, I'm not sure how this one mounts.  I'd rather have a glass mount.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

iPad link

thread topic

Not just swinging wide, but persisting with driving into a stopped car on that wide swing.

Sheesh, all I can think is, would I have been able to avoid that. It happened really quickly.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 10:10:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Macumazahn] [#7]
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

Not just swinging wide, but persisting with driving into a stopped car on that wide swing.

Sheesh, all I can think is, would I have been able to avoid that. It happened really quickly.
View All Quotes

iPad link

thread topic

Yea, hard to avoid there, unless the driver with the cam had put it in reverse really quick.  

Generally you would think that the other driver would have stopped when seeing another car in the lane.  Probably not paying attention.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 10:11:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
I got my last one from a Massdrop deal... So it was just over $300

I just took a screenshot of the mobile client on my phone, showing the front view out of the camera, (my vehicle parked at the hospital), and a Google-maps location from the GPS, but I don't have a way to edit it for OPSEC.  Will try to work on it and post it later.

It is seriously cool.

ETA:  it might not be posted till tonight... The ER is busy today.
View All Quotes

<snip>

I got my last one from a Massdrop deal... So it was just over $300

I just took a screenshot of the mobile client on my phone, showing the front view out of the camera, (my vehicle parked at the hospital), and a Google-maps location from the GPS, but I don't have a way to edit it for OPSEC.  Will try to work on it and post it later.

It is seriously cool.

ETA:  it might not be posted till tonight... The ER is busy today.
Ugh. You've got ER duty tonight? Good luck and I hope it goes smoothly. I've got a 12 hour shift on Saturday.

Link Posted: 12/24/2015 10:13:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 10:40:27 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote
That is the one I am considering because of its higher resolution.

It says it mounts to the windshield, or a least I thought it did.

Link Posted: 12/24/2015 11:14:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Bears a striking resemblance to the Smarty Dash Cams I linked in the beginning of the thread.

link
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FAIL-SAFE:

G1W will be fine for the above stuff.  Most cams in the sub-$100 pricepoint all just use the same lenses and chipsets in different cases, so unless you are willing to spend several times what a G1W costs, you won't see much, if any, improvement in image quality and the like.

What if I'm willing t spend a little bit more?  Say $150?

Thoughts on the one Stagman linked to?

Bears a striking resemblance to the Smarty Dash Cams I linked in the beginning of the thread.

link

Has a screen on the unit though.  Actually intruiging.  Super high definition and claims an above 30 FPS rate at 1080.  Kinda neat.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 7:59:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Interesting beggar's reaction
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 8:42:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Man, that camper just did not give a fuck.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 9:07:23 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

I can't tell if the camera owner got clipped or just sacrificed a little bump to be sure he was out of the way.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:24:15 PM EDT
[#16]

I thought this was a super cool feature and had it enabled. All I ever picked up was people driving by with loud pipes in the parking garage. Disabled it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Emt1581:
If the car gets bumped and the camera picks up the movement I'd think the insurance could use it.  And if you have a cam in the rear it'd hopefully catch something.   But yeah some cams seem to take too long to kick in and record.   Do any do it rapidly?

I thought this was a super cool feature and had it enabled. All I ever picked up was people driving by with loud pipes in the parking garage. Disabled it.

But if it started recording quick enough and was in a location where there wasn't a whole lot of movement, and even if there is it's only a few seconds at a time....it would still seem to be a useful feature if you came out to a fucked up bumper or door panel.  Then so long as it retained the event and didn't tape over it or run out of space, seems like it'd do it's job.

Right now it's down to the SplashETech and Blackvue (650)...are either of those capable of doing what I talked about?  If not, which others should be considered?

Thanks!

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 12:12:12 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Holy shit! Hope nobody was hurt after that behemoth barreled through that intersection. And that old guy really did shake a leg!
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 8:51:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kyoami] [#18]

I can't tell if the camera owner got clipped or just sacrificed a little bump to be sure he was out of the way.
View All Quotes

the video is... even better. Skip to :30

I have just discovered this gold mine so I will only link to this one very satisfying gif

If your blood pressure is too low

I want to hit things. There is sweet justice for the unmarked squad car, but the bambalance video it ends on pisses me off

I don't think this is a by-the-book traffic stop. Even if it worked he was still going to get plowed.

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 1:06:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Ok I'm in the market for a cam.

I saw the rearview mirror ones that kind of clamp onto your existing.  My issue is I don't want to add any crap into my windshield.  Are there any good rearview mirror ones out there?

I'm trying to keep it wireless, rechargeable if possible.  Any that will run without a power cable constantly connected(battery)?
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 3:32:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mPisi] [#20]
I mentioned videoing my coworker getting hit from a guy who failed to yield at an intersection (link), this guy tried to do it to me tonight at the same place in the same way.  Flashed my lights but forgot to honk.  Highest quality seems to be a pretty good version of what I get from the G1W.  Note it won't get license plates of the cars in the other lanes.  Soundtrack is Aurora audiobook by Kim Stanley Robinson.

link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k1eSgw3i44
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 2:31:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Macumazahn] [#22]
So after reading this thread, I grabbed one of these G1W-B on Amazon for $50.  It came Tuesday and I was going on a 2 day trip to see family so took it out of the box and straight to the truck right away.  Just popped in the Micro-SD 32 gb card that I ordered with it for $11.  It turned right on and started recording when I plugged it up.

Pros: (just from this short trip)
- Video quality was actually great.  I plugged the card up a Macbook, and the videos seem to be in 288 mb segments.  Makes it nice to play, especially on older computers b/c they are not loading videos that are like 10gb each.  Took me by surprise that it also recorded sound, so it got our whole conversation on the trip.  
- easy hook up, just plug it up and go
- the night video was not too terrible, just using my headlights.  High beam made it look really good actually, but it was worse with low beam.  This was in the country with no other light source

Cons:  
- had trouble staying on with the suction cup it came with, but eventually held on well.
- only holds up to a 32gb card, but it does loop infinitely it seems
- seems to turn on when it receives power.  In my truck, the 12v outlet is on all the time, so the camera stays on all the time unless manually turned off, or unplugged.  In my van, the 12v outlet is only on when the ignition is turned on...  This makes the camera turn on appropriately, but I'll have to figure out something for my truck.

Overall, quite impressed.  This was my first dashcam, so was a good experience.  Will take a look at some others now.  I'd like to wire them up straight to the battery if I can, via fuse, kinda like a ham radio, if this is possible.  

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#23]
So after reading this thread, I grabbed one of these G1W-B on Amazon for $50.  It came Tuesday and I was going on a 2 day trip to see family so took it out of the box and straight to the truck right away.  Just popped in the Micro-SD 32 gb card that I ordered with it for $11.  It turned right on and started recording when I plugged it up.

- Video quality was actually great.  I plugged the card up a Macbook, and the videos seem to be in 288 mb segments.  Makes it nice to play, especially on older computers b/c they are not loading videos that are like 10gb each.  Took me by surprise that it also recorded sound, so it got our whole conversation on the trip.  
- the night video was not too terrible, just using my headlights.  High beam made it look really good actually, but it was worse with low beam.  This was in the country with no other light source

Cons:  
- had trouble staying on with the suction cup it came with, but eventually held on well.
- seems to turn on when it receives power.  In my truck, the 12v outlet is on all the time, so the camera stays on all the time unless manually turned off, or unplugged.  In my van, the 12v outlet is only on when the ignition is turned on...  This makes the camera turn on appropriately, but I'll have to figure out something for my truck.

Overall, quite impressed.  This was my first dashcam, so was a good experience.  Will take a look at some others now.  I'd like to wire them up straight to the battery if I can, via fuse, kinda like a ham radio, if this is possible.  

View Quote

Throwing around whether to get one of these just to experiment with and learn from for my daily beater before getting a Blackvue 650 front/rear setup.  I think I've seen them slightly cheaper than $50.  So it's not exactly breaking the bank.  

However, at this point even if someone gave me a door ding or brushed up against it in a lot I doubt I'd be able to notice it anyway.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Cons:  

View Quote

You can easily hardwire these dashcams to your fusebox.  I've done it.  The way I did it is listed somewhere in this thread; it's pretty easy.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 4:01:03 PM EDT
[#25]
What's the word on the new Garmin unit?
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 4:31:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 1911SFOREVER:
What's the word on the new Garmin unit?
View Quote

Which one?
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:13:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kyoami] [#27]
Saw this at CES, looks nice

Untitled by Ry Jones, on Flickr

The demo videos looked amazing
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 1:13:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Is it just a dual channel system?  Not seeing shockingly high resolution or anything.  What's so special about it?
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Is it just a dual channel system?  Not seeing shockingly high resolution or anything.  What's so special about it?
View Quote

if the side-by-side video is to be trusted, it has a high ISO for night shots without a shitload of bloom and noise
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 2:19:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Is the G1W camera still what you guys are recommending for a low cost quality dash cam.

Also which version is best -b, -c, -h, or -x?  I am going to be driving across country next week so I would like to order it tonight and have something simple to plug in and use.

Link Posted: 1/8/2016 8:09:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Cons:  

View Quote

I have the same camera. I purchased a wiring harness with the appropriate mini-USB end and wired it to switched power, so it turns on when the key in turned on.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 3:26:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: duhflushtech] [#33]
Originally Posted By Kristof2:
Is the G1W camera still what you guys are recommending for a low cost quality dash cam.

Also which version is best -b, -c, -h, or -x?  I am going to be driving across country next week so I would like to order it tonight and have something simple to plug in and use.

View Quote

Personally, I think so.  To be clear, there are many better cams out there (for a lot more money), but the G1W is perfectly functional, and as a starter camera for someone who just wants something that works it's hard to beat, IMO.

The C version is probably best for something that will be inside a hot car with the sun beating down - no battery to explode from heat.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 4:45:32 AM EDT
[#34]

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/CUnTHn" target="_blank">https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1482/24221572755_4be8b9d908.jpg</a>

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/CM5DYF" target="_blank">https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1670/24138994171_552a3f0ec2.jpg</a>

View Quote

Is that open to the public?

As I get older, I think I get more jealous of folks who go to CES than those who go to SHOT.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#35]

As I get older, I think I get more jealous of folks who go to CES than those who go to SHOT.
View All Quotes

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/CUnTHn" target="_blank">https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1482/24221572755_4be8b9d908.jpg</a>

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/CM5DYF" target="_blank">https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1670/24138994171_552a3f0ec2.jpg</a>

I would definitely blow vacation time to attend both. Hell I once spent an entire vacation day to walk around the con/ag show in Vegas. It just happened to be in town at the same time as the Nascar race.

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#36]
CES is a trade-only event for the consumer technology industry and not open to the general public. All attendees must provide credentials in advance to verify affiliation with the consumer technology industry and must present a government-issued photo ID upon arrival to the event to pick up a badge. Family, friends and children who accompany you to Las Vegas will not be granted access to CES unless they are over the age of 18 and have proof of industry affiliation.
View Quote

That said, based on the people I see, the bar is low for "industry affiliation". The bar for press seems low as well.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 12:41:29 AM EDT
[#37]

That said, based on the people I see, the bar is low for "industry affiliation". The bar for press seems low as well.
View All Quotes
CES is a trade-only event for the consumer technology industry and not open to the general public. All attendees must provide credentials in advance to verify affiliation with the consumer technology industry and must present a government-issued photo ID upon arrival to the event to pick up a badge. Family, friends and children who accompany you to Las Vegas will not be granted access to CES unless they are over the age of 18 and have proof of industry affiliation.

So, almost exactly like SHOT in that regard. Interesting.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#38]
So, almost exactly like SHOT in that regard. Interesting.
View Quote

Yes. TBH most non-industry people stuck out like sore thumbs and were easy to avoid.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#39]

Personally, I think so.  To be clear, there are many better cams out there (for a lot more money), but the G1W is perfectly functional, and as a starter camera for someone who just wants something that works it's hard to beat, IMO.

The C version is probably best for something that will be inside a hot car with the sun beating down - no battery to explode from heat.
View All Quotes

I have a similar question about the G1W.  I plan on ordering the C version based on the opinion above.  

I have read in the 1400+ reviews that the same model camera can have slightly different/updated hardware based on who you buy them from (through amazon).  There are several vendors, are any of them better than the others?  I also see amazon.com (as the seller) will have them back next week.    Anybody have a preferred seller for these to get newest model C camera?
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 12:38:55 PM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By rlltd42:
I have a similar question about the G1W.  I plan on ordering the C version based on the opinion above.  

I have read in the 1400+ reviews that the same model camera can have slightly different/updated hardware based on who you buy them from (through amazon).  There are several vendors, are any of them better than the others?  I also see amazon.com (as the seller) will have them back next week.    Anybody have a preferred seller for these to get newest model C camera?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rlltd42:

I bought a G1W-H from Spy-Tec on Amazon. It died a few months later. I also bought a G1W-C with "black box" listed as the manufacturer and Amazon listed as the seller. It's still going strong after several months, including a few road trips.

I also have an A118-C "wedge" camera mounted in my old truck for the last year. It's always outside in the sun, and it runs like a champ.

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:16:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: XSentinel] [#41]
I'm glad this question came up because finally, after reading this entire topic I am going to pull the trigger and get one of these. But I have not decided between the G1W-C or the A118C.

Is there any consensus as to which one is better? Size is not an issue for me. I just want the one that takes best quality video and has better build quality. I would prefer that it not crap out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By XSentinel:
I'm glad this question came up because finally, after reading this entire topic I am going to pull the trigger and get one of these. But I have not decided between the G1W-C or the A118C.

Is there any consensus as to which one is better? Size is not an issue for me. I just want the one that takes best quality video and has better build quality. I would prefer that it not crap out.
View Quote

The video quality should be exactly the same, because they use the same internals as far as I know.  

The G1W will be easier to position the lens exactly how you want it facing.  But it is also larger.  So it's really up to your own personal preference.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:47:52 PM EDT
[#43]
I have the A118-C bought here Amazon Link

It is a great camera I've been using it for little over 6 months now.  Picture quality is ok, i would say it gets the job done.  Due to the form factor it just disappears which is why I love it so much.  It has indicator lights and a screen (you can disable) so you know its working.  
I used to have a Lucas Ace which was over $200 and the picture quality is just a tad worse with the A118, but that thing was huge and easy to notice from the outside.  I think that it's better not to advertise.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:07:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:21:53 AM EDT
[#46]

The Blackvue 650 2-ch is back on Massdrop.
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:12:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Does anyone have any thoughts on the Blackvue DR3500-FHD?
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:27:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:49:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryan13] [#49]

haven't played with that one.

Here's a review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYwhzXyB03g
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Ryan13:

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Blackvue DR3500-FHD?

haven't played with that one.

Here's a review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYwhzXyB03g

Thanks, I watched that already. It looks like it's pretty similar to the 650 minus some extra features like wifi and it doesn't have the Sony CMOS. Will the sensor make that much of a difference? Also, do I need the Power Magic Pro to hardwire it or something different?

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:51:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top