Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

300 Blackout Master Thread (Page 16 of 77)
Page / 77
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 2:33:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BigPolska:

There was a you tube video, I wish I could remember more, but the fella used a Lee hand priming tool and shell holder.  He would pop the case in the shell holder, and squeeze the priming handle, and this would make the case easier to hold onto, and prevent it from spinning while trimming.  I think the trick was to use the large primer ram, it would still clear the hole in the shell holder, but would not fit the small primer hole in the case, this would allow the priming tool to operate as a lever operated case holder.   HTH
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BigPolska:
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:
Does anyone have any tips/tricks to holding onto the brass while trimming with the giraud? I have a hard time holding onto the brass as it tends to spin in between my fingers. I have tried gloves and pliers but was curious  if there is something else. Any help would be appreciated.

There was a you tube video, I wish I could remember more, but the fella used a Lee hand priming tool and shell holder.  He would pop the case in the shell holder, and squeeze the priming handle, and this would make the case easier to hold onto, and prevent it from spinning while trimming.  I think the trick was to use the large primer ram, it would still clear the hole in the shell holder, but would not fit the small primer hole in the case, this would allow the priming tool to operate as a lever operated case holder.   HTH

I saw this before I bought mine and was concerned.  I had the same problem at first but I realized that in most cases the ones that grabbed I could enter them slowly and the trimmer would take off the offending bur that was causing the sticking.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:

A pliers like tool that holds brass during case prep. Been advertised in Handloader magazine.

View All Quotes
Does anyone have any tips/tricks to holding onto the brass while trimming with the giraud? I have a hard time holding onto the brass as it tends to spin in between my fingers. I have tried gloves and pliers but was curious  if there is something else. Any help would be appreciated.

A pliers like tool that holds brass during case prep. Been advertised in Handloader magazine.

Wowza, those aren't cheap. Looks like they work pretty well though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 4:56:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Dismal failure.

They wouldn't feed. Insert mag, close bolt chambering round, fire, and next round would nose dive in mag.

I quit after 4 cycles of this. Pulled the bullets, experiment over.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jgieske:
Dryflash, I remember you loaded some 30 carbine to try earlier in the thread but I don't remember you talking about how they performed.  Are they worth it for cheap plinking purposes? If so, what load? I just bought an AAC mpw 16inch and I'm currently gathering components. Seems like the cheapest option.

Jeff

Dismal failure.

They wouldn't feed. Insert mag, close bolt chambering round, fire, and next round would nose dive in mag.

I am planning to purchase an H&R handi-rifle in .300BLK. Do you think the 110gr FMJ bullets would do well in a single shot? I am thinking that being a single shot it would be much easier to load for since feed issues would not be a part of the equation.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Apparently my iPad didn't post yesterday...  

To hold a case for the trimmer:  

A pair of needle nosed pliers with one leg inserted into the primer pocket and the other leg grasping the edge of the case's base will get you where you need to be.  To reduce fatigue of the user's hand, be sure the pliers have a spring to assist in opening the pliers.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 8:09:45 PM EDT
[#6]
So I just bought the Hornady headspace gauge kit for use with calipers. I assume the 350 bushing is used for 300blk, correct? Also, if headspace is in perfect saami spec, what should the caliper read? My goal is to set my sizing die more precisely. I use the RCBS precision case mic for .223 for this purpose but they haven't jumped on the blackout bandwagon yet.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 9:51:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Haven't  bought any factory 300 BLK to measure but info I've read is that with the 350 insert factory Remington cases measure approximately 1.068". I've also read that some factory cases measure even less. Also it seems chamber headspaces from reports can be short and some seem to have trouble with their sizing dies not being able to push the shoulder back enough. You'll have to check some fired brass from your rifle to get an idea of your chambers headspace. I have two AR's from the same manufacturer and they both have the exact headspace which by the way is on the maximum side of specs. My fired brass is approximately 1.075" meaning the chamber is probably a couple thousandths longer. I size the brass trying to get about 1.073" measured with the 350 insert from the Hornady Headspace set. My Hornady sizing die will push the shoulder back to what the factory Remington 300 BLK was reported to be at 1.068-1.069 with firm contact with the shellholder. I have to back it off to get my 1.073"
Your brass fired in your rifle and your brass brand  may make your measurements  totally different than mine.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Dismal failure.

View All Quotes
Dryflash, I remember you loaded some 30 carbine to try earlier in the thread but I don't remember you talking about how they performed.  Are they worth it for cheap plinking purposes? If so, what load? I just bought an AAC mpw 16inch and I'm currently gathering components. Seems like the cheapest option.

Jeff

Dismal failure.

These run awesome in my 700 Bolt AAC-SD. I am running them over 18 grains of LilGun. I plink with them all the time at the range. Out of 300 I only have about 100 left. Time to buy some more.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By rg1:
Haven't  bought any factory 300 BLK to measure but info I've read is that with the 350 insert factory Remington cases measure approximately 1.068". I've also read that some factory cases measure even less. Also it seems chamber headspaces from reports can be short and some seem to have trouble with their sizing dies not being able to push the shoulder back enough. You'll have to check some fired brass from your rifle to get an idea of your chambers headspace. I have two AR's from the same manufacturer and they both have the exact headspace which by the way is on the maximum side of specs. My fired brass is approximately 1.075" meaning the chamber is probably a couple thousandths longer. I size the brass trying to get about 1.073" measured with the 350 insert from the Hornady Headspace set. My Hornady sizing die will push the shoulder back to what the factory Remington 300 BLK was reported to be at 1.068-1.069 with firm contact with the shellholder. I have to back it off to get my 1.073"
Your brass fired in your rifle and your brass brand  may make your measurements  totally different than mine.
View Quote

Yeah I figured I'd have to wait until I had some fired cases and go off of that number but I haven't fired any yet. I'm just now getting all the components and I'm about to start forming cases for the first time. I just wanted a number to go off of initially. Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 8:33:41 AM EDT
[#11]

http://brassgripper.com/

View All Quotes

http://brassgripper.com/

I think I remember seeing those. If I keep tearing up my fingers, those may be in my future. I did use a pair of spark plug pliers with success but they were awkward.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:54:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kR-15] [#12]
Chrony results and my 300 AAC recipes are Here if anyone is interested

I add recipes as I work them up- planning on subsonic LilGun and 190gr SMK in the next 5 or 6 weeks
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 4:47:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m411b30] [#13]
I needed to do some testing of the Nosler 150gn BT, and Nosler 125gn Accubond, and I know some here were interested in this as well. So, here goes:

I did the testing using a 55 gallon drum filled with water, and used a 12ft step ladder to shoot down into the water to capture the bullets. Disclaimer: I am not in any way, shape, or form saying this is safe!

On the Left, 125gn Accubond @ 1950fps, and on the right is the 150gn Ballistic tip @ 1825fps:

The weight retention for both:

Weight retention for 150gn Ballistic tip with the core on the scale:

So you can see that the Accubond is actually way better for staying together. Hope this helps some.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#14]
When it comes to trimming, cutting, forming brass. What order do you guys use that works best or is the only way to do it? Im getting into reloading specially forming my 300 but im a bit confused when it comes to the cutting and trimming.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ycastane:
When it comes to trimming, cutting, forming brass. What order do you guys use that works best or is the only way to do it? Im getting into reloading specially forming my 300 but im a bit confused when it comes to the cutting and trimming.
View Quote

The way that makes the most sense is:

1. Cut
2. Form
3. Trim

If you form before you cut, you will need to remove the expander ball from your die.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:21:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By John87:

1. Cut
2. Form
3. Trim

If you form before you cut, you will need to remove the expander ball from your die.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By John87:

1. Cut
2. Form
3. Trim

Good deal. Thanks!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:45:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Not sure if this has been asked before but, down to what size do you guys cut the brass? and then down to what size do you trim? Whats the final measurement for the brass??
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:20:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EvilBetty] [#18]
Not sure if this has been asked before but, down to what size do you guys cut the brass? and then down to what size do you trim? Whats the final measurement for the brass??
View Quote

I cut down to 1.370" or a little less.  Then after resizing trim down to 1.355".  SAMMI maximum is 1.368"
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By xtreme762:

I needed to do some testing of the Nosler 150gn BT, and Nosler 125gn Accubond, and I know some here were interested in this as well. So, here goes:

I did the testing using a 55 gallon drum filled with water, and used a 12ft step ladder to shoot down into the water to capture the bullets. Disclaimer: I am not in any way, shape, or form saying this is safe!

On the Left, 125gn Accubond @ 1950fps, and on the right is the 150gn Ballistic tip @ 1825fps:

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/3952/cvzj.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img35/5089/a4je.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img543/7903/wmt3.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img834/6905/aup4.jpg

So you can see that the Accubond is actually way better for staying together. Hope this helps some.
View Quote

The 150 Nosler BT looks a bit like the ones I shot into water.  What was your powder charge (and with what powder) with each bullet if you don't care to mention it.

Thanks for the pics and info.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:41:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m411b30] [#20]
Originally Posted By rob99rt:

The 150 Nosler BT looks a bit like the ones I shot into water.  What was your powder charge (and with what powder) with each bullet if you don't care to mention it.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rob99rt:

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/3952/cvzj.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img35/5089/a4je.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img543/7903/wmt3.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img834/6905/aup4.jpg

Nosler 150gn Ballistic tip @ 1825fps.
15gn Lil'gun
FEDGM205M primer
2.22" COAL

Nosler 125gn Accubond @ 1950fps.
16gn H110
CCI 41 primer
2.10" COAL

I'll be sticking to the Accubond's. I'm gonna try to find some 150gn Accubond's if I can. I think they would hold together a little better. Keep in mind this is out of a 10.5" barrel also. Have a 14.5" on the way, so velocities will go up a bit.

According to Quick Load, I still have quite a bit of room left on both of these loads. But settled with these as good reliable loads. No feeding issues out of ANY mags!

ETA: If you look close at the Accubond in the above picture. You can see where the lead swallowed the polymer tip.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:42:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By EvilBetty:

I cut down to 1.370" or a little less.  Then after resizing trim down to 1.355".  SAMMI maximum is 1.368"
View All Quotes

So as long as you stay below 1.368" you are okay? I would guess not to low either but as a general idea. Just trying to understand all of this since im beginning to get into loading, specially with the 300 and all the cutting and stuff.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#22]

So as long as you stay below 1.368" you are okay? I would guess not to low either but as a general idea. Just trying to understand all of this since im beginning to get into loading, specially with the 300 and all the cutting and stuff.
View All Quotes

Max length is 1.368", with minimum 1.348".  I trim to 1.360".  Nice round number.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#23]

Nosler 150gn Ballistic tip @ 1825fps.

15gn Lil'gun

FEDGM205M primer

2.22" COAL

snip...
View Quote
FWIW, my accuracy went downhill pretty fast once I got above 15.6 grains of Lil'gun with the 150's.  There is a lot of room for more velocity, yes, but at least in mine and some others uppers, accuracy went away.  (I'm using a 9.5" Core15 barrel, fwiw)

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Anyone have any leads on data for 247gr lead projectiles with  Lil'Gun

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:38:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By coug91:
Max length is 1.368", with minimum 1.348".  I trim to 1.360".  Nice round number.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By coug91:

Good deal!! Thanks!!!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:27:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Getting my barrel in the mail tomorrow! I can't wait to get into the black out game.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:50:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By OIF_Vet08-09:

I am planning to purchase an H&R handi-rifle in .300BLK. Do you think the 110gr FMJ bullets would do well in a single shot? I am thinking that being a single shot it would be much easier to load for since feed issues would not be a part of the equation.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OIF_Vet08-09:

Jeff

Dismal failure.

I own a Handi rifle in 300 Blk.  Shoots several factory loaded 110 grn bullets very well.  Shoots Remington 220 grn subsonics with my 7.62 SD can very well also.
I just got my dies delivered today so I don't have handloads worked up yet.  Have some 200 grn BTSPs to try for subsonic work
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:20:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: garyd] [#28]
Originally Posted By InfiniteGrim:

View Quote

8.3 gr has given me 1020fps out of a 9.5 inch barreled AR.

6.8gr has given me 980 fps out of a AAC Model 7

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By garyd:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By garyd:

Try this - it should get you close enough to tune the charge to your desired Velocity Load data halfway down the page
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Sweet thanks guys....

CORE15 9½", pistol gas, Spikes ST-2 buffer, 100% stock. I think a ST-2 is 4.3 oz instead of the 4.6 for a H2.

180g Hornady SST, 8.4g Lil' Gun, cycles and locks open on an empty mag with and without a can.
200g SGK, 8.7 Lil' Gun, cycles and locks open on an empty mag with and without a can.
208 A-Max, 8.2 Lil'Gun, cycles and locks open on an empty mag with and without a can.
220g SMK, 8.7 Lil' Gun, cycles and locks open on an empty mag with and without a can.
245g MBC, 8.4 Lil' Gun, cycles and locks open on an empty mag with and without a can.

Alpha Sports 10½", pistol gas, standard carbine buffer, 100% stock.

180g Hornady SST, 8.4g Lil' Gun, cycles and locks open on an empty mag with and without a can.
200g SGK, 8.7 Lil' Gun, cycles and locks open on an empty mag with a can, unknown without can
208 A-Max, 8.2 Lil'Gun, cycles and locks open on an empty mag with and without a can.
220g SMK, 8.7 Lil' Gun, cycles and locks open on an empty mag with and without a can.
245g MBC, 8.4 Lil' Gun, cycles and locks open on an empty mag with and without a can.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Here is a list of my proven load recipes with avg velocities to date:300 AAC load recipes. I plan to add 190gr SMK and other powder data over the next few months as I work up those loads.

Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:11:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: InfiniteGrim] [#32]
I am seriously impressed with this Rainier arms 10.5" barrel with a pistol gas length system. I have not loaded a single road yet out of 280 test loads that failed to cycle the rifle. I loaded a 168gr SMK to subsonic levels and it cycled fine. I started at 8gr of LIL gun and it felt like shooting a .22, I thought it didn't even cycle at first, I had to hand it to my brother to try to make sure I wasnt going crazy.

Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:20:56 PM EDT
[#33]
What is the projectile on the right side of your photo? Looks funky- and their perfect color for BLK
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Anybody using AA#9 for 300 BLK?  I have a ton of this powder and just can't find any reloading data for it.  I know it is a little faster than W296/H110, but should be slow enough to use with 110 gr bullets.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 8:46:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: InfiniteGrim] [#35]
Originally Posted By kR-15:
What is the projectile on the right side of your photo? Looks funky- and their perfect color for BLK
View Quote

Its a 247gr NOE cast projectile with some sort of hard coating on it that prevents leading, its comes out to 249gr with the coating.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 11:12:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Its a 247gr NOE cast projectile with some sort of hard coating on it that prevents leading, its comes out to 249gr with the coating.
View All Quotes

That's a whole Lotta lead coming at ya.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 11:22:58 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

Looks like someone read about the piglet method over at castboolits
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 11:28:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By xacex:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By xacex:

600 ft-lbs of enery at 1050fps. Much better than any handgun I own!

Hell my 160gr reloads out of my 10.5" barrel have the same evergy as 5.56 out of my 16" barrel. I am loving 300 blackout!
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 7:35:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Have you looked at the Accurate web site?  

They just recently updated their data.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By molar:
Anybody using AA#9 for 300 BLK?  I have a ton of this powder and just can't find any reloading data for it.  I know it is a little faster than W296/H110, but should be slow enough to use with 110 gr bullets.

Yep.  They don't have #9 listed.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 6:30:57 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

Try the handloading forum at 300blktalk.com - it's hosted by  Robert Silvers (AAC R&D- lead on the 300WTF project) and I've seen AA9 data there
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 7:57:13 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote
Yes I do, I have found it on Accurate's site. I use 16gr. of AA#9 with either 125gr. Nosler or 147gr. pull downs, very mild recoil and plenty accurate for me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#43]
How many times can you load a 300 blackout case?
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 9:59:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:23:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks.. Good to know
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 12:53:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By WitchDr:
View Quote

Cautious people say  3 total recycles  loads. I've seen plenty of people claim they get 7+ uses if they only run subsonics.

I have some Remington brass  that's got 3 recycles on it (mostly supersonic loads and I'm starting to see flattened primers). I am examining those cases closely after cleaning and watching for signs of pressure or case head separationm ( details on pressure signs and photos here ). After I wear a couple down I will figure out my number.

If I get to 7 uses though ill toss them.

YMMV
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 11:19:20 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

16.0 grs of aa9 with a 125 gr bullet.

Not sure what the proper load for a 110 gr bullet would be.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By WitchDr:
View Quote

I have some PMC cases I have loaded up 5 times now.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#49]
I think maybe the Nosler Accubond might hold together a little better. Their site says they offer more expansion at lesser velocities. I have a bunch of 125's to load up, and will test them.

The BT's aren't very impressive to say the least!
View Quote

Any followup on the accubond 125 gr?   I ordered some for hunting down the road.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 10:12:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By delirious1:

Any followup on the accubond 125 gr?   I ordered some for hunting down the road.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By delirious1:
I think maybe the Nosler Accubond might hold together a little better. Their site says they offer more expansion at lesser velocities. I have a bunch of 125's to load up, and will test them.

The BT's aren't very impressive to say the least!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/385765_300_Blackout_Master_Thread.html&page=31#i3772693
Page / 77
300 Blackout Master Thread (Page 16 of 77)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top