Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 2/23/2013 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I just came home from work for lunch to check the mail.  I'm ripping open the box of media now!!

Hopefully I'll have some bling goin on tonight.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 12:08:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Col_Cotton_Hill] [#2]
Here's my first batch.

I just bought this brass. It was cleaned and polished when I bought it. I thought it all ready looked good. But man,,,,you can tell a difference. This was 3 1/2 hour's.

Now I need to size and trim it and hit it again. How long do you guy's think I should let it run to debur it from trimming.

Wet tumbled on the left. As I bought them, dry tumbled on the right.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 12:53:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By PapaGeno21:
The only problem is there will be no way to attach the paddles to the drums.  You will see what I mean when you get one!

I personally do not mind the 4 hour tumble time, I am sleeping while its working!  From talking to other people it seems running it then letting it sit for a while, if you run it again for a bit before you empty will work good.  So what I have been doing is I go to bed at 1AM, so the tumbler runs from 1-4:30am, then I wake up at 10am so the tumbler kicks back on at 930am.  I wake up, shut it off and empty them out.  Total tumble time is 4 hours.

Ive got a good 1000 pieces of different pistol brass all in line to be tumbled this weekend.

Attach a timer with multiple on/off settings, program however you care.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Guys, what's my best option for tumbling media?  I picked up one of the single drum tumblers the other day.  So, I only need 1lb of media right?  
I was going to order from Buffalo Arms since they let you get it by the pound.  I was gonna pick up 2lbs, but shipping was about the same cost as the media itself.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 12:14:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 12:14:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, not quite on the cheap, but I just ordered a Thumlers tumbler model B kit with the SS media for like 230.00. I've had a few bad expereinces with HF. If it's something I plan on using through My retirement, I splurge for the good stuff and take care of it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Buffalo Arms - 2/17/2013 to 2/27/13 delivered today!

Originally Posted By olivers_AR:
Fedex dropped off the HF tumbler today.  Media is slated for 2/28.

Ordered one for $49 shipped.  On Sale and coupon code for 20% off. Media is next.  

ETA:

Buffalo Arms - 5 lbs ordered -  Appear to be 5 days behind on shipping according to webpage.  

Now the wait begins

Link Posted: 2/28/2013 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I ordered from Buffalo arms for 2 pounds last monday, and it sat in their system pending for 3 days without action.  Since I was paying almost as much for shipping, i cancelled, and joined a local group buy where I got 2 pounds for 17 shipped.
Link Posted: 2/28/2013 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#10]
pick up one yesterday. ran some brass last night.. WOW.. It cleaned up my sub 300blk casings to almost spotless.

I guess im going to STM tonight to get a big one ordered now..  Looks like time to sell the the vibrators or convert them to moly..
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 12:13:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Has anybody tried a PVC pipe on the HF dual to get more capacity?
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 11:38:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Harbor Freight has said item on sale for $49.95.

Just ordered two.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 2:01:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: morpheus6d9] [#13]

Originally Posted By beakerello:

ive been thinking about that idea

Link Posted: 3/11/2013 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By morpheus6d9:

Interesting, I hope someone tries this and posts the results. I'm good at copying but not design and fabrication.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 10:26:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 12:04:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:

You are in the wrong thread. 3 seperate wet tumbling threads running right now.

I think he is in the right thread. I understood his post as removing the 2 drums and replacing them with 1 pvc drum - gaining the area that the bottoms of the 2 drums waste. I am interested in this as well.

Or can we only talk about modifications in the homebuilt thread?
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 12:16:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 12:49:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Originally Posted By echofivekilo:
Guys, what's my best option for tumbling media?  I picked up one of the single drum tumblers the other day.  So, I only need 1lb of media right?  
I was going to order from Buffalo Arms since they let you get it by the pound.  I was gonna pick up 2lbs, but shipping was about the same cost as the media itself.

Go ahead and get 5 pounds, it's not a very large volume.  Then, you have options; either another HF tumbler or two, or a larger tumbler.

Thanks.  That's what I ended up doing.  
A few of my buddies may get into wet tumbling too, so I can always sell them the extra for my cost plus a share of what shipping cost me.

In related news, I got a shipping notification, so I should be up and running this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Just wanted to come here and say that I followed this thread from close to the beginning and picked up a HF dual drum tumbler and media from Buffalo Arms. This thread pushed me into wet tumbling and I love it.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 4:22:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Just got one, plenty of bling, and media seperated it and got most of the water out and it and came out fine.  Only lesson learned was that the sliver turning rods need to be lubed, only had gun oil to use

Would be interested in seeing about a single PVC pipe, would you need to put paddles in it?  

Originally Posted By natethegreat:

You are in the wrong thread. 3 seperate wet tumbling threads running right now.

I think he is in the right thread. I understood his post as removing the 2 drums and replacing them with 1 pvc drum - gaining the area that the bottoms of the 2 drums waste. I am interested in this as well.

Or can we only talk about modifications in the homebuilt thread?
Sorry, go ahead. Guess I didn't read post I quoted close enough.

Link Posted: 3/13/2013 3:22:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Optimal65G] [#22]
Anyone have a suggestion for a good on/off timer that can store multiple times. Was thinking of on for 30 off for 10 on for 30 etc. I do this with my rotating media seperator w/o the SS media now. Just tumble by hand for 2 mins soak for 5. Anyways if there is an affordable timer out there that you can set 5+ on/off times please post it.

Edit: Found this one! ordered it and will update this weekend. I should have all of my stuff by friday to give this wet tumbling a shot.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:16:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Just got one, plenty of bling, and media seperated it and got most of the water out and it and came out fine.  Only lesson learned was that the sliver turning rods need to be lubed, only had gun oil to use

I was in Harbor Freight last week and took a look at that tumbler and didn't like the idea of the 2 small rubber containers and my first thought was "I wonder if I could make 1 PVC tube to replace them and gain some volume?"    

Consider this a TAG
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Forgot to ask.

Anyone tried using the lemi-shine / citric acid w/o the SS rod media? I did some tests with dish soap, lemon juice and water and tumbled them in a rotarty media seperator and it cleaned them up pretty good. I just tumbled them for a couple minutes and let them sit for 5, repeated this for 30 minutes or so.

Just wondering if anyone has run a load w/o the SS rods and had good results. Mainly asking for once fired fairly clean stuff to save time on seperating out the media. I will experiment with it this weekend as I don't think my buffalo arms order will be here by then as I thought it would.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Ppl probably know this but there's a guy on the EE selling XL length SS pins. Fast ship, under $50 bucks shipped to your door.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 10:11:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#27]
What is the length of the two drums combined? What is the diameter of the drums?
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 11:39:47 AM EDT
[#28]
What is the length of the two drums combined? What is the diameter of the drums?

Here ya go.

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:00:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Thank you , Col_Cotton_Hill
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#30]
can u tell me the ratio for the wet ss brass tumblers? water/ brass/ pins? I am going to try a cement mixer from harbor fright . A 145 bucks, plus pins and some spray on bed liner for the drum, not too costly
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#31]
What do you guy's think about using the larger pin's that the guy in the EE is selling. I know I do get a lot of double's stuck in my primer pocket's.

Have any of tried them. Do they work just as well.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#32]
going to try to make the harbor fright $149 unit wrok, Going to remove the mixing blades from inside the drum, then install 5 ribs made from 1.5 inch thick UMHW then coat the inside of the drum with spray on bed liner. hope it works.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Col_Cotton_Hill:
What do you guy's think about using the larger pin's that the guy in the EE is selling. I know I do get a lot of double's stuck in my primer pocket's.

I've tumbled several thousand each of 9mm, .45, 5.56 and .40 using the larger diamter pins and have never had any pins stuck in flash holes.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By tenex:

I've tumbled several thousand each of 9mm, .45, 5.56 and .40 using the larger diamter pins and have never had any pins stuck in flash holes.

This has been my experience with .223 also. They are fantastic!
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#35]
So they work just as good on the primer pocket's ??
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Picked up one of these tumblers ran a small batch of .40 it's clean but not super shiny like some of these pics I have seen.

Also the drums are very small I am  building a single drum for it will post up info once I have it done.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:58:17 AM EDT
[#37]

I am building one now.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 12:52:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Just curious, with pvc what would you gain? 1/2" of space? the 6lb weight limit seems more limitting than the stock drum space. Unless you overload it; 2lb brass, media, and water each is max and that will not fill them up with brass by a long ways. Maybe you all are using less water and more brass?  I was going to try 1/2 as much water and double the brass and see how that works. I still have lots of old black stuff to clean.

Has anyone overloaded this and run it for extended periods? results?

I just ran my first batch today and MAN this works great. For ~75 bucks to get everything, this cant be beat.  I plan to clean up all my old stuff(lot of old pickup I have been saving) then just use normal vibrating between reloads. For the first cleaning though, wow what a difference.

I did put 8x .50 cal in a cylinder and it cleaned them up like new in 8 hrs. I used some real old black ones.

Great thread OP and everyone who has contributed.

Link Posted: 3/21/2013 4:57:40 AM EDT
[#39]

Yes.

Link Posted: 3/21/2013 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Anyone having trouble breaking the bands on them? If so, what do you use to replace em?
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#41]
I haven't personally done it yet, but apparently the common fix is to use a vacuum cleaner belt as a replacement.

I'm sure someone has more info on the length, brand ect that they used.

Originally Posted By deuc224:

Anyone having trouble breaking the bands on them? If so, what do you use to replace em?

Link Posted: 3/21/2013 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 11:08:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: faldoc] [#44]
I started with the big B model, and love the bright shiny results, saw this thread and ordered a HF for smaller quantities. I am using it as I type. One issue: I have the max of 3# weight on each drum, about 75 223 cases in each drum, and after an hour it seems to have stopped, with the motor getting hot. The fan is glued onto the pulley, and it had softened in the heat so the fan wasn't holding. I had to put a couple of small screws to secure the fan back onto the pulley. I removed a few cases and adjusted the belt tension and it seems to be working again. I would suggest checking it frequently until you have it adjusted well with the right total weight, being careful not to overload it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 11:19:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By faldoc:
I started with the big B model, and love the bright shiny results, saw this thread and ordered a HF for smaller quantities. I am using it as I type. One issue: I have the max of 3# weight on each drum, about 75 223 cases in each drum, and after an hour it seems to have stopped, with the motor getting hot. The fan is glued onto the pulley, and it had softened in the heat so the fan wasn't holding. I had to put a couple of small screws to secure the fan back onto the pulley. I removed a few cases and adjusted the belt tension and it seems to be working again. I would suggest checking it frequently until you have it adjusted well with the right total weight, being careful not to overload it.

Not my experience at all. I tightened the belt when I first got it, found I had tightened it too much, backed it off and its been perfect since. Make sure you "burp" the canisters when sealing them up. Had a cover come off before, what a mess!
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 2:48:05 AM EDT
[#46]

Yes.

Only if you decap cases before tumbling.  

A universal decapper is used, as a sizing die would get scratched running dirty cases through it.

Universal decapper has a large interior so case does not come into contact with the inside of the die, only the decapping pin.

Ya, I have the Lee decapper.

I meant does the larger pin's get into the pockets as well as the smaller pin's.

Link Posted: 3/24/2013 6:30:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#48]

Yes.

Only if you decap cases before tumbling.  

A universal decapper is used, as a sizing die would get scratched running dirty cases through it.

Universal decapper has a large interior so case does not come into contact with the inside of the die, only the decapping pin.

Ya, I have the Lee decapper.

I meant does the larger pin's get into the pockets as well as the smaller pin's.

I use the longer pins and haven't found any that stuck in the primer hole yet.
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By deuc224:

Have you adjusted the position of the motor? Loosen the screws on the side and set it so it doesn't stretch the drive band super tight but isn't so loose that the band slips when spinning.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 9:46:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: John87] [#50]
Well yesterday my Food Dehydrator from HF and my 5lbs of SS pins from Midway showed up, and today my Tumbler from HF showed up.

I ran a VERY small batch of shells, about 15 .357mag and 25 .223 in one of the drums to test out.

Added Lemi Shine and 2 seconds of Dawn, and tumbled for 3-ish hours.

They are not the cleanest, but again it was a test run. I was just happy to see bling, clean primer pockets, and clean inside of the shells!

HOLY CRAP was that water dirty!

I was a little paranoid about having the element in the food dehydrator being exposed to possible water, so I wrapped the bottom tier of the unit in foil. Forgive the pictures, taken on my cell phone with poor lighting.

I am already unsatisfied with these dingy tubes, and soon I will start to source some large PVC, because I cannot leave well enough alone
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top