Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:26:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Lets just say I'm in.

[URL=http://s91.photobucket.com/user/MrPlayer/media/imagejpg2_zps8a30e25a.jpg.html][/URL
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:46:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any updates?
View Quote

Should have some to test, review and take pics of in about a month.  Haven't heard back from them on exact pricing or specs other than they will be 940 nm.  As soon as I know something else, I will report it here.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:38:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Updates?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:40:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Updates?
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Updates?

I've got one lousy pic.  Weather and location were not right.  The thing is a beast.  Pic taken at about 15 yards to the tree with gen 3 PVS14's gain ALL the way down.

More to follow Monday or Tuesday as we've gotten the prototype and need to convince the guy making them that 10" is WAY TOO much- he has no NV experience so he'll take some convincing.  As set up now, it is throwing some serious light.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:51:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to the final (hopefully smaller) product.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Just put a new aux fuse panel in my Tacoma and it is begging for one of these!! I've got plenty of room...

Edit: Maybe one in a handheld/spotlight configuration.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just put a new aux fuse panel in my Tacoma and it is begging for one of these!! I've got plenty of room...

View Quote

I don't know if it would be as useful as either a handheld or a bumper-mounted light bar, but I really, really want an excuse to put a cop spot light on my A pillar (not a car guy, but I think it's the A pillar).  

On a different subject--  In a perfect world, I think a 20" or 24" LED light bar with the middle 50% being regular high power white LEDS, 30-35% being high power red LEDs, and the remaining 15-20% (as appropriate for IR output) being 950nm LEDs, with each mix being about 60/40 or 70/30 mix of spot to flood spread patterns would be about right.  One light bar, one mounting set up, 3 sets of leads for 3 different independent switches.  Oh, and the IR switch would just have to be a missile-type switch with a safety top.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#10]

I want two for the FJ when will the group buy come out?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:55:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't know if it would be as useful as either a handheld or a bumper-mounted light bar, but I really, really want an excuse to put a cop spot light on my A pillar (not a car guy, but I think it's the A pillar).  

On a different subject--  In a perfect world, I think a 20" or 24" LED light bar with the middle 50% being regular high power white LEDS, 30-35% being high power red LEDs, and the remaining 15-20% (as appropriate for IR output) being 950nm LEDs, with each mix being about 60/40 or 70/30 mix of spot to flood spread patterns would be about right.  One light bar, one mounting set up, 3 sets of leads for 3 different independent switches.  Oh, and the IR switch would just have to be a missile-type switch with a safety top.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like the white/red/IR combo- that would be badass! I'd be in for a 40" version- 1st 4 leds on each end IR (flood reflector), next 4 red (flood reflector), and the remaining middle section white (spot reflector). that would be slick!

ETA: But i'd be plenty happy with some budget-friendly IR flood duallys.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually had an A-pillar spot light in the garage for a couple years.  I never could get up the nerve to cut a hole through the center of the roof to install... At the time I thought that would be a better location than the pillar.  When the XJ sold, the light went with it.

As long as these lights come in a configuration that will mount to my luggage rack, they'll work for me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:00:25 AM EDT
[#13]
About a week out on the prototype 2"x2" dually set up.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:16:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:31:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

How's it coming along?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How's it coming along?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How's it coming along?

I jsut asked for an update.  Haven't heard anything from them in a while.  Evidently, there's some big offroad thing going on in Florida somewhere that they're all at.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:38:59 AM EDT
[#18]
It's been a while. Any updates?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:27:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Bump.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:28:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Not needed for me, but only due to doing this for years already.

Surplus 24 volt HMMWV lights with 12 volt bulbs installed, and LED Ibis Tek IR lights have been readily available online on the surplus market. They are 940nm, work on 9-24 volts depending on bulb for the incandescent, LED is dimmer on lower volts but still works, and is military spec.

For hog hunting and driving around at night, they are a bargain. I have spent less than $100 per pair in either configuration, and point others that way often. However, the price and availability has gone up over time. I see more of them mounted to local trucks, many not even wired up, so people are posing now.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Finally got the prototype in-hand.  Will be wiring it up to a buddy's new Bad Boy Buggy in the next week or two.  Pics, specs and pricing information to follow soon after.  I've got some of the 24v Humvee lights that have been converted to 12v and they work, but are very large and heavy for something that is not at least as big as a Jeep.  The IBIS, well, I'm looking into those now.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Any word and/or pics?

My Jeep may need some of these.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:40:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Should have it wired up on a Bad Boy Buggy this weekend with pics to follow.  I know this project stalled out, but it should be up to full speed after this coming weekend.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#24]
GOOD TO HEAR
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
GOOD TO HEAR
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:45:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Updates?
CHRIS
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#27]
TAG In!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#28]
OK, here is what I got from this weekend.  All pictures are taken with a Gen 3 autogated PVS14 (SNR 26.6), Night Combat Solutions adapter, and an iPhone 5.  The gain on the PVS14 was turned ALL the way down.  Night was clear with about an eighth of a moon.  Borderline hard to walk in a hay field without tripping without NV.  Before the questions start, I do not yet know what the MSRP is going to be.  And, I forgot to take pictures of the mount or housing, but it is very similar to the one pictured here., but the mount is a little better.

Horses at 50 yards with no IR, gain turned ALL the way down.

Same view as above with IR LED fired up:

Shed at 75 yards with no IR and gain turned all the way down:

Same view as above with IR fired up and gain still turned all the way down:

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Tree at 50 yards:

Same view, with iPhone zoomed in a bit:

Same as above, with IR LED aimed a bit better:

Person at 50 yards with IR LED on, gain still turned all the way down:

Pic of the GOLF CART OF DEATH:

Followed SkyPup's lead and went with the IR LED on top of front basket, 120 watts of white LED on roof mount and two 12 watt red LED cubes (that work freaking awesome) hanging down from the front basket.

Here's a short video of the Golf Cart of Death with the IR LED on:
7 second video

15 second video of same- gain still turned to zero.

Again- I've got no commercial interest in this, and just made the suggestion to one of Quake LED's sales team.  It worked up the chain and back down to me with the prototype.  They are 940 nm LEDs.  They have a very faint red glow.  I do not know the spread (i.e. spot, driving, flood/ 30-45-60 degree) of the LEDs.  I do not know pricing, but did tell the sales guy that I though he could sell 20 or 40 of them in a couple of weeks here if I could jsut post a link to where to buy them and they were $80-$100.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:59:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I do not know pricing, but did tell the sales guy that I though he could sell 20 or 40 of them in a couple of weeks here if I could jsut post a link to where to buy them and they were $80-$100.  

View Quote

Pretty much.  

Next time you talk to them tell them to shut up and take my money.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:01:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
how much visible signature do they have?
View Quote

Not much.  Hard to quantify or photograph since evidently iPhone cameras have some kind of IR filter built in.  I'd put the visible signature somewhere between the dull red glow of a 850nm Streamlight SuperTac and the red glow from a Surefire 952V (on IR setting).  They are 940nm LEDs and not 850- I made sure to verify with the salesguy.  My only complaint is that the unit puts out like a drunk prom queen.  As shown in the post with pics, I had the gain turned all the way down and was scared to use the IR LED with my 14 on any other setting.  The first prototype was a 10 or 12" IR LED light bar- borderline useless.  I think it was 120 watts.  The current set up is 27 watts and is powerful. I've talked to them about making a 10 or 12 watt version in a 2"x2" or 3"x3" housing, but there is an issue with the IR LED techno-stuff being larger than white LED housings/ driver/ doo-hickey that prevents them from simply using one of their standard housings for the IR LEDs.  They are taking a look at either decreasing the power supply to the 9, 3 watt IR LEDs or making it variable somehow.  Another possibility is using the same housing but only installing 4 or 6, 3 watt IR LEDs instead of the full 9.  

Using the same 9 LED housing, if they could set it up to where there were 5 red LEDs and 4 IR LEDs with separate wiring and leads- that would be ideal.  Be able to switch between semi-sneaky and full blown ninja with the flip of two switches.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:35:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Using the same 9 LED housing, if they could set it up to where there were 5 red LEDs and 4 IR LEDs with separate wiring and leads- that would be ideal.  Be able to switch between semi-sneaky and full blown ninja with the flip of two switches.
View Quote

If they could split the LED's to 2 groups, one of 4 'Spot' LED's and one group of 5 'Flood' LED's and have them run on separate lines, I think this would be the best of both worlds.  You could use the Flood beam LED's as a low beam and the Spot LED's as your high beam/spotting beam.  Even better would be to have them in a light bar with the Flood LED's in the middle and the Spot LED's on the outside or you could alternate them in the line.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Better than what i have especially is ruggedized awaiting link.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd be in for 2 of them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Make sure whatever setup they have, that they are compatible (or have a compatible version) with the common mounting brackets people use to mount fog lights on bumpers as well as windshield mounts you see on Jeeps.

You now have me trying to figure out if I should either ditch my fog lights on my bumper for these but I think that would be too low. Then either find a way to install a second set of driving lights next to my existing headlights or a 2nd set of windshield lights next to/under my current lights up there.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:06:09 AM EDT
[#38]
In for updates.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Should have some in my hands by 3/10.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 7:02:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I might have missed it , but did you ever say who the company is that will have these?
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I might have missed it , but did you ever say who the company is that will have these?
View Quote

They're being made by Quake LED.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks, Got em book marked.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 6:57:39 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm working on a dedicated thread but I will just leave this here.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:55:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/7HeoWL42Y4c
View Quote

Where on the vehicle are those mounted? (bumper, headlights, window lights, etc)
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:56:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Where on the vehicle are those mounted? (bumper, headlights, window lights, etc)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And are they a 'spot' or 'flood' pattern?
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 2:15:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Tagged. Definitely interested to see the end product and price points
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are in the fog light location and are "spot" lights. They look narrow in the video but they worked perfectly for me in actual use,
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:11:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top