Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/16/2014 4:08:53 PM EDT
I'm working with an off-road LED light manufacturer and trying to gauge interest in offroad IR LED lighting.  Similar in size to the Rigid Dually (about 3" cube), but in IR.  If a name brand offroad lighting company offered a 3x3" infrared LED cube for around $100, would anyone here buy one or two?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Totally in!
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Hell yes!
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Uh... yeah!
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm... gimme some time to think about it...  
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hell yes!
View Quote

Of course!
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I just ordered another IR Blaster from Larson Electronics yesterday, a long range 850nm spotlight not a flood, you can get them in 720, 850, and 940nm.

They use 3 Watt IR LEDs, 8 of them is more than enough IR for any application and draws less than 3 amps of 12VDC @ 23 watts for this one.

What wavelength do you plan on using? Only the 940nm is truly black, the others both have a red glow from the IR LEDs.

How many Watts and what would be the Amp draw?

Also, a flood is no good compared to a spot, the entire ground in front of you is totally washed out.

Be sure to mount them low and in front of the grill so you do not get the splash back.....

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#7]
IN LIKE A MOTHER FUCKER
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:37:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Tagscribed.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep I would buy one.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes !!!
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#11]
yes

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#13]
how much visible signature would this put out?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 2:06:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
how much visible signature would this put out?
View Quote

it would depend on what wavelength IR they use.  As SkyPup already mentioned, anything below 940nm is going to have some sort of 'red' glow to it.  I don't think the OP has posted back with any specifics yet.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 2:10:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Been looking for awhile. The .mil 24V just aren't worth the trouble and the Larson stuff is great but three times the cost of what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 8:20:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Like this but half the price? (same as Skypup has) I'd be in for a couple.

http://www.larsonelectronics.com/pc-46854-186-ir-led-emitter-bar--12-watts--4-led--120l-x-60w-beam--9-42vdc--extreme-environment.aspx

ETA: I've got a buddy that would probably be in for a couple as well.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Don't know the specs yet, but I will be recommending either the 850nm or 940 nm LEDs in a tight spot pattern.  I'm thinking that a cube set up with 4 of the 3 watt infrared LEDs would have a better reception in the market than a bar of 8 or 10 LEDs.  Didn't know of the Larson Electronics product, but yeah, the company knows that they will have to beat that price point- just a matter of production costs.  I have heard that Rigid will make some of their products with IR LEDs, but they're very pricey.  Hopefully, these will get the go ahead to be put into production.  If it matters to anyone, it is an American company that owns and operates the factory in China, but design and everything else is US-based and owned.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I just bought this....

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/specialty-high-power-led-spot-lights/11-ir-high-powered-led-spot-light-18w/1607/3704/

It's 850nm, 54w, and operates at 12-28VDC.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Yup
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Don't know the specs yet, but I will be recommending either the 850nm or 940 nm LEDs in a tight spot pattern.  I'm thinking that a cube set up with 4 of the 3 watt infrared LEDs would have a better reception in the market than a bar of 8 or 10 LEDs.  Didn't know of the Larson Electronics product, but yeah, the company knows that they will have to beat that price point- just a matter of production costs.  I have heard that Rigid will make some of their products with IR LEDs, but they're very pricey.  Hopefully, these will get the go ahead to be put into production.  If it matters to anyone, it is an American company that owns and operates the factory in China, but design and everything else is US-based and owned.
View Quote

IMHO, 4-3 watt IR 850nm LEDs is plenty good in a spot not flood configuration.

Mine with 8 of them is major IR blasting power and in most instances overkill, our PVS-14s are autogated and basically on lowest dial setting possible and still pretty much overwhelmed.

These 4" cubes would work nicely on an ATV, UTV, in single mount or in dual configuration on a pickup truck.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well when they employ American workers I would be interested.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:32:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I am interested.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm in for two.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Should have a more specific idea of 850 vs. 940 nm, LED configuration, other specs, pricing and estimated availability tomorrow.

Just to be clear- I'm not exactly affiliated with the company.  I bought some of their non-IR offroad LEDs and am a buddy of their sales guy (ex- Recon Marine).  I told him that he should look into it and it's gone from there.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Abso-freakin'-lutely.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Should have a more specific idea of 850 vs. 940 nm, LED configuration, other specs, pricing and estimated availability tomorrow.

Just to be clear- I'm not exactly affiliated with the company.  I bought some of their non-IR offroad LEDs and am a buddy of their sales guy (ex- Recon Marine).  I told him that he should look into it and it's gone from there.
View Quote

The Larson 4 emitter in 850 nm flood is actually too bright and puts out a considerable amount of visible light. I would replace the lens with this stuff (IR plexiglass) but at the price I paid for the light I was afraid to take it apart and replace the lens and possibly compromise the seal. I would be willing to replace the lens on a less expensive light if the visible signature was still bothersome.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:30:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Very interested.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:04:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes two please minimum...
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The Larson 4 emitter in 850 nm flood is actually too bright and puts out a considerable amount of visible light. I would replace the lens with this stuff (IR plexiglass) but at the price I paid for the light I was afraid to take it apart and replace the lens and possibly compromise the seal. I would be willing to replace the lens on a less expensive light if the visible signature was still bothersome.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What about 940nm?  That's a bit deeper into the IR spectrum, and is still useful with NV, if I'm not mistaken...

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What about 940nm?  That's a bit deeper into the IR spectrum, and is still useful with NV, if I'm not mistaken...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Missing the cat already.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:41:34 PM EDT
[#32]
I want the 940's only please, thank you
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Count me in, I've been day dreaming about setting up a ride like that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Depends on the mounts.  I have been looking for one for my jeep but I want it to be mounted above the bumper not on the windshield bracket.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Awhile back there were some HumVee lights being sold online that are awesome! I bought a few, but I haven't seen anymore for sale. It's too bad as I think they would have worked great for you guys. Being LED they work fine on 12 volt systems. I mounted them on my Jeep, and my UTV, and they are fun stuff!

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#36]
I'd like to see something such as this in a post mount spotlight configuration like we are all used to seeing on the A-pillars of LE cruisers.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:55:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'd like to see something such as this in a post mount spotlight configuration like we are all used to seeing on the A-pillars of LE cruisers.  
View Quote

That would be perfect! I'd like one mounted and facing the front of my SxS for driving and one of these post mounted ones on the roll cage for scanning to the sides!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Yeah, I can find cheap chinese IR lights with horrible mounts  OR horribly expensive american made ir lights with decent mounts.

I'm in for a nice middle of the road product.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:07:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Decision has been made by the higher ups that they will be 940 in various spot configurations.  

Exact pricing quotes should be in shortly and production should be kicking in soon.  Should have one in hand within 45 days.  Will take pics and report back.

Question- would there be any interest in a vampire-esque set up?  Say a 20" bar with the middle 10" being white LED and the outside 5" on each side 940nm LED?  With separate wiring obviously.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Decision has been made by the higher ups that they will be 940 in various spot configurations.  

Exact pricing quotes should be in shortly and production should be kicking in soon.  Should have one in hand within 45 days.  Will take pics and report back.

Question- would there be any interest in a vampire-esque set up?  Say a 20" bar with the middle 10" being white LED and the outside 5" on each side 940nm LED?  With separate wiring obviously.
View Quote

Yep. Depending on $$
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep. Depending on $$
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:11:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would be interested in this in 940.

A 940 Go-light upgrade would be nice as well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cool.
As to your question for me no. I already have a lot of white light.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:48:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:44:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep. Depending on $
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#47]
In.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Well, my old surplus surveillance camera array is still shining bright.  So, I'm not in any sort of bind, but if you require some testing i may know where a suitable vehicle is!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Well, my old surplus surveillance camera array is still shining bright.  So, I'm not in any sort of bind, but if you require some testing i may know where a suitable vehicle is!
View Quote

I hear ya, state liner!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:47:52 PM EDT
[#50]
yes
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top