Posted: 7/23/2009 5:16:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hawkeye]
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 5:16:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hawkeye] [#1]
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 5:16:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hawkeye] [#2]
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 5:35:36 PM EDT
[#3]
that woodland digital is pretty snazy. got any up close and personals of that pattern?
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 7:06:27 PM EDT
[#4]
WHAT..multicam didnt steal the show

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By calicojack:
that woodland digital is pretty snazy. got any up close and personals of that pattern?

I agree.  Since you are having such fun with pics, can we see some close ups of the patterns?  Seperately, then in the same pic for comparison?  Also, do you think that a side-by-side shot might be useful?

Now, a criticism.  Not of you or your work, but in general.  Terrain has so much to do with what camoflage is best.  Here in central Texas (especially last few years) there is not that much green anywhere.  Browner camoflauge mixes in very well.  Maybe what we need is for several members to collaberate and do a photo session like this in different terrain around the nation with the patterns.  Also, this is a topic that comes up so much that perhaps a sticky is in order.

Good work!
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 8:35:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By imortal:
 Terrain has so much to do with what camoflage is best.  Here in central Texas (especially last few years) there is not that much green anywhere.  Browner camoflauge mixes in very well.  Maybe what we need is for several members to collaberate and do a photo session like this in different terrain around the nation with the patterns.  Also, this is a topic that comes up so much that perhaps a sticky is in order.

I did multicam pics for a year, several side by side with woodland
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=10&t=256386
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 8:38:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hawkeye] [#8]
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Hawkeye:
Originally Posted By BB868:
 Terrain has so much to do with what camoflage is best.  Here in central Texas (especially last few years) there is not that much green anywhere.  Browner camoflauge mixes in very well.  Maybe what we need is for several members to collaberate and do a photo session like this in different terrain around the nation with the patterns.  Also, this is a topic that comes up so much that perhaps a sticky is in order.

I did multicam pics for a year, several side by side with woodland
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=10&t=256386

Thanks for putting that link up. Its a good reference for additional comparison.

Yup, pretty good.  You two need do collaberate on a combined thread for posting.  Oh, and Hawkeye, looks like that Digital Desert camo works pretty well in blending into your carpet!
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Tagged to see or not see more camo!
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 9:50:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Dude I have that same carpet.

Good stuff - I look forward to the followups.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 9:59:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Very nice study, I'd like to see ACU in the mix......
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 12:27:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jtb0311] [#15]
Here is one pic of the 3 digital patterns.

I saw some SF guys in Afghanistan wearing the one on the top left last spring.  What is it?
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 12:34:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: imortal] [#16]
That is Woodland Digital.  If you look at it, it seems to be a digital version of Multicam, but I am not 100% sure of that.

I don't know if it is just me, but I get sort of a Tiger-stripe camo feel off of the Woodland Digital.  I mean, I like it, but it feels... off for some reason.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 2:44:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kodiak0202] [#17]
That is Woodland Digital.  If you look at it, it seems to be a digital version of Multicam, but I am not 100% sure of that.

I don't know if it is just me, but I get sort of a Tiger-stripe camo feel off of the Woodland Digital.  I mean, I like it, but it feels... off for some reason.

Actually the top left is x-camo, the bottom one it digital woodland. but yes i some sense Tiger Stripe also in the X-camo, and also in the woodland digital.

Link Posted: 7/24/2009 7:39:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By protus:

WHAT..multicam didnt steal the show

You have much to learn young padawan.

Not really just bustin your balls about the M/C. Ive been playing with digi woodland for a few years and it seems to do alot better overall  down here than mc imho. Now other areas up north out west it more than likely out performs digi.

YMMV...

Link Posted: 7/24/2009 7:39:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 8:24:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: imortal] [#20]
Originally Posted By kodiak0202:

Actually the top left is x-camo, the bottom one it digital woodland. but yes i some sense Tiger Stripe also in the X-camo, and also in the woodland digital.

Thanks for the correction.  The woodland camo looks pretty good, but it looks like there are 3 shades of brown and only 1 of green.  Personally, I think that if they added a bit of lighter green into the mix, it would turn out really well.  Or has that been done?  edit  just went back and looked again.  ..or were you talking about the X-Camo?

Hawkeye, you mentioned in another thread that you had some older woodland digital camo, and that it has been 'toned down' since.  Is this you have displayed here the older or newer kind?  If you have seen both, could you elaborate?  Also, does anyone know if the 5.11 woodland digital camo and the Propper woodland digital camo are the same mix. or are they competing?

Also, I am about to the point where I need a listed thread just with a picture of each pattern with just a description of what the pattern is and who it is use by, if anyone.  The woodland digital looks similar to the USMC, but I am not sure if it is the same pattern (with or without the AEG) or just similar.

Antoher edit: I found this when I googled 'digital multicam', although people are claiming it is not.  Can anyone ID the pattern for me, and maybe point me to another thread if it has already been discussed?  BB868, I see you posted this also a while back.  Any info?

Link Posted: 7/24/2009 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 3:26:57 PM EDT
[#22]

To my knowledge, the digital woodland and desert that Propper uses is pretty darn close to actual MARPAT minus the EGA. Might also be a bit of difference in the actual pattern of the pixelation used vs. MARPAT, but I believe the colors are the same. I have someone I can verify that through, but in the meantime, if anyone knows for sure, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

i believe you are right about that, if i remember correctly its just the civi version( or versions if you include propper Desert digital) of marpat.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By kodiak0202:

To my knowledge, the digital woodland and desert that Propper uses is pretty darn close to actual MARPAT minus the EGA. Might also be a bit of difference in the actual pattern of the pixelation used vs. MARPAT, but I believe the colors are the same. I have someone I can verify that through, but in the meantime, if anyone knows for sure, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

i believe you are right about that, if i remember correctly its just the civi version( or versions if you include propper Desert digital) of marpat.

true specs digi woodland is darker- less brown. The propper brand is almost spot on what issue marpat is.

Link Posted: 7/24/2009 6:25:19 PM EDT
[#24]

I found this when I googled 'digital multicam', although people are claiming it is not.  Can anyone ID the pattern for me, and maybe point me to another thread if it has already been discussed?  BB868, I see you posted this also a while back.  Any info?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=10&t=257282
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Pffft ! the hell with these.  I'm waiting for the predator Cloaking device
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 7:00:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 10:51:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KBL] [#28]
Some interesting sites for when you've got some time....

http://www.hyperstealth.com/camo/faq/

http://www.hyperstealth.com/tigerpat/
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I think that x-camo or whatever you said it is has too much of that white/light tan color or whatever it is in it.  It seems bright almost to me.  Maybe it's just me though.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:07:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MOS2111] [#30]
AS a tag, you planning on doing them under IR with Night Vision?  Might change the game a smidge....

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 3:22:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Hawkeye, you have done some really good write-ups, and your pictures have been every educational.  It made me doubt my previous ideas and consider the camoflage situation from scratch.  I do still think that multicam serves me best here in central Texas.  Like we discussed before, it is largly a matter of terrain and vegitation.  Your pictures do a great job in showing that not all camo is good in all situations, though.  

I am curious.  What is your personal opinion of the pattern that best suits you in your area?
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 3:32:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Texkaw] [#34]

The new ACUs are very effective.....

If you are fighting a war in your living room...

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 3:36:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Texkaw:

The new ACUs are very effective.....

If you are fighting a war in your living room...

http://i30.tinypic.com/257nedi.jpg

You have never heard me talk about a new rifle purchase with the wife!  A set of ACUs might come in handy!  

Actually, Straight Coyote blends in great with my couch.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:45:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:47:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 8:08:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By KBL:
Some interesting sites for when you've got some time....

http://www.hyperstealth.com/camo/faq/

http://www.hyperstealth.com/tigerpat/

Thanks. I've checked out their site before. It would be nice to see how some of their patterns actually look/work when printed on material, and to actually be able to purchase some BDU's to try out.

Yeah, I agree. Those images don't give you much of an idea of their effectiveness in real life scenarios - especially as it relates to various cover, shading, lightness/darkness.

I have several std. patterns of camo, i.e., ERDL (lowland "lime" & highland brown dominant), woodland, original advisor tiger stripe (a little faded), the later more brown dominant tiger stripe, and some flecktarn. I need to get some photos done of them in various Florida environments. I already know that faded ERDL in both patterns is effective, and the newer brown dominant tiger stripe as well. The advisor tiger stripe is very effective in thick vegetation where there is much shadowing and only intermittent light...especially at close range. But, it's hard to evaluate the patterns when your wearing them...I need some perspective from a distance.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:31:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hawkeye] [#39]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#40]
that new one does really have a more multicam look to it.

think if you just wash the shit out of the old one, it will fade to look like the new one.

maybe some side by side between them and multicam for shits and giggles.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#41]
now if we could just get some of the gear folks to start making woodland digital or x-camo pouches and rigs...
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#43]
well, I ment "in the wood's"

but, I'll give you an 'A' for effort
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:01:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#46]
But multicam works with all the digitals too!

Hey, my old thread on IR reflectivity got canned.  I don't own any "non licensed" patterns, only crye multicam and issue Marpat and woodland.  Would you be willing to show yours under IR and I will show mine?  I have had some questions about the IR treatment process, how it affects different materials and such.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By MOS2111:
But multicam works with all the digitals too!
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d54/mos2111/30JulyRange022.jpg

Hey, my old thread on IR reflectivity got canned.  I don't own any "non licensed" patterns, only crye multicam and issue Marpat and woodland.  Would you be willing to show yours under IR and I will show mine?  I have had some questions about the IR treatment process, how it affects different materials and such.

WOW, that multicam looks great with the woodland marpat.  

I would really like to see a shot of the mulitcam equipment with desert marpat just to see if it works both ways!  Any chance you could  hook that up?

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:57:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MOS2111] [#48]
Yes.  I will play dress up after I go run and post the pic of my holster thats for sale.  Should be later tonight...
And no one had better call me fat.

And as an edit: you will find that it wont work so well.  The arid desert colors only work in the desert and with tan.  This is why my basic 1st line in tan, it blends anywhere.  The only use I have for Marpat Desert is the bottoms outside of combat.  You can combine the bottoms with a multicam/marpat woodland top.  Thus your 1st line blends, and your 2nd line blends and you end up looking like a tree (brown trunk, green top)
I will throw a gambit of pics up then....
In hops of not hijacking.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:35:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MOS2111] [#49]
Desert ends up looking washed out unless you are anywhere but in the desert or a dry field.  Here is looks alittle lighter than it actually is because I was standing in the light to get a good photo...  You can see why I like multicam over most and why I REALLY like gear that uses all multicam webbing....

Anyways

Great comparison btwn the multicam and marpat of my belly.  

Wife was MOST unhelpful.  
And I should retake some of those, as they are just too washed out.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:40:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: calicojack] [#50]
but all i see is a round brown spot.....

in all seriousness though. i'm VERY surprised by the cadpat/mc combo working so well. i guess i shouldn't be, but i am. btw, this thread is in the review section, and i was trying to find your old one mos, but i guess it hit the archives.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top