Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2008 1:25:06 PM EDT

When? Where?
Link Posted: 10/25/2008 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Did that come from Crye?

If not, I might be inclined to believe that the Army(or someone else) found a way to avoid paying royalties to them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2008 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#2]
No, it is not from Crye of the US Army.

Digital patterns using Multicam colors defeats the whole advantage of Multicam, which is really in how the colors blend from light to dark and into each other. Multicam isn't just great because of the colors alone, but because the way those colors blend into each other and are able to bring out the colors that fit the background to the human eye.

There is a guy here who posted a much more scientific explanation awhile back so maybe he'll come back and chime in on this.

Link Posted: 10/25/2008 3:42:43 PM EDT
[#3]
SilentType, if you look closely at the swatch I posted above, you'll see that the Greens and Browns do blend together, just like the original MC.
Link Posted: 10/25/2008 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/25/2008 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This stuff was at Shot Show in Feb.  But, I cannot remember who was selling it.  The pattern was being used on BDU's and packs from what I remember.

Eberlestock has something called Unicam that looks JUST like that.

I don't get the whole need to change it either

Link Posted: 10/25/2008 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Because digital cammo breakes up edges better than any other pattern.
Link Posted: 10/26/2008 5:55:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This stuff was at Shot Show in Feb. But, I cannot remember who was selling it. The pattern was being used on BDU's and packs from what I remember.

The need to change it arises from the cost of licensing real Multicam. When you get the same colors in a digital pattern, the effect may not be as good, but it is still pretty good.

My earlier guess that the Army did it comes from my belief that the Army passed over Multicam partly to avoid paying the extra money associated with adopting a pattern that they didn't create.
Link Posted: 10/26/2008 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This stuff was at Shot Show in Feb. But, I cannot remember who was selling it. The pattern was being used on BDU's and packs from what I remember.

The need to change it arises from the cost of licensing real Multicam. When you get the same colors in a digital pattern, the effect may not be as good, but it is still pretty good.

My earlier guess that the Army did it comes from my belief that the Army passed over Multicam partly to avoid paying the extra money associated with adopting a pattern that they didn't create.

I'll buy that, but part of me thinks that there is this "well its the 21st century, so we need to make it 21st century-ist" i.e. digital.

it would be interesting to test them side by side to see how good/bad it works

Link Posted: 10/26/2008 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#9]
i really dont think it matters whether this or multicam is better. theyre both better than the ACU. both look pretty effective to me. if the army can use this for cheaper than multicam,so be it as long as i get a uniform in a pattern that actaually does what camoflage is supposed to do,unlike the ACU,which was supposed to be temporary anyway. the army is looking for a permanent replacement as we speak. the only bad thing i can say about either one is that theyre both too green for a desert or any other arid environment.
Link Posted: 10/27/2008 12:44:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/27/2008 12:53:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Also found some stuff here... http://www.digitalmulticamzone.com/

Decent prices too...I'm surprised.

Gear Geek's Review
Link Posted: 10/27/2008 2:21:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Decent prices too...I'm surprised.http://../images/smilies/anim_bannana.gif

Gear Geek's Review

Hmmm....for $35 I might just try a shirt, just to see. I don't see how it would be 'better', it does like more of a way to get around a copyright though.

Link Posted: 10/27/2008 4:25:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I think this dithers, and multicam works in a different fashion.

Too much black for me.  I would like to see it go head to head against official Marpat.
Link Posted: 10/27/2008 4:37:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Dicks Sporting goods was selling someting similar to that pattern in a acu cut.  I got a set, seems to work pretty well was made by prestege tactical.

Link Posted: 10/27/2008 4:40:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I think this dithers, and multicam works in a different fashion.

Too much black for me. I would like to see it go head to head against official Marpat.

No Black in MC or the digi version. It is Dark Brown, thank God.

Link Posted: 10/27/2008 7:49:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/27/2008 8:01:00 AM EDT
[#17]
"Because digital cammo breakes up edges better than any other pattern."

Now i may have to try a MC pattern, the original just didnt cut it for me.
Ive tested and like USMC Marpat Wdlnd digital, works great breaks up better. I also think that the USMC Desert digital works great.

I have set out some Woodland Marpet here in MO @ 50-75 yrds and in certian areas, its for the most part invisable.

Unlike Digital two way radio that sounds like crap
Link Posted: 10/27/2008 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/27/2008 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I like it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2008 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Decent prices too...I'm surprised.

Gear Geek's Review

Multi Environment Response Camouflage. Cool acronym.
Link Posted: 10/27/2008 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That is quite an annoying website.

Link Posted: 10/28/2008 8:15:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I looked there myself....I thinks me smells a Rat.....no contact info save an email addy which btw no response.....so.......
Link Posted: 10/28/2008 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Digital is actually a step backwards from color blending, the color blending in Multicam is recognized as being a more advanced and effective method of camoflauge, color choices notwithstanding.  

I believe there is actually some testing somewhere to back that up, I will post the link if I can find it again.
Link Posted: 10/28/2008 10:18:14 AM EDT
[#24]
didn't hyperstealth digitize MC awhile back and it was a tremendous failure?
Link Posted: 10/28/2008 10:59:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
didn't hyperstealth digitize MC awhile back and it was a tremendous failure?

I don't see it...
http://www.hyperstealth.com/
Link Posted: 10/28/2008 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#26]
I've seen a different one in person - very effective, but I wouldn't say more so than the existing Crye pattern.
Link Posted: 10/28/2008 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I looked there myself....I thinks me smells a Rat.....no contact info save an email addy which btw no response.....so.......

well they just replyed to me:

yes we currently do have it in stock in all sizes. It is made from 50/50
ripstop nyco

Link Posted: 10/28/2008 3:45:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/28/2008 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#29]

I think this pattern is tits
Link Posted: 10/28/2008 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Looks like marpat to me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2008 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I may be getting some to review for my site...i call them tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/28/2008 7:55:00 PM EDT
[#32]
MARPAT is 5-color.  At least as well as I can remember from staring down all day.

I'm actually curious to see how ludicrous ACU/ABU would look over that...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top