Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/7/2017 6:13:43 PM EDT
After having some grip screws come loose, I'm beginning to think that slotted screws are better for ease of finding a tool if I'm not at home, but does the hex screw have any benefit that I'm missing?
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Slotted, hands-down. Properly sized hex screwdrivers are seriously hard to find, and limited in their applications.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#2]
im all for slotted just for the reasons you stated one can use most anything to tighten.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Hex or torx ... no question slot or Phillips get roughed up or chewed up way to easy.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Tactical gun- hex or torx
BBQ gun- slotted polished brass
Everything else- slotted
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Mainly slotted but I have a few with hex screws. Depends on the grips.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:59:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Slotted.  The chances are not great that I will have a torx or hex key around when I may need to take the grips off, but I will always have a screwdriver nearby.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Can you guys who said torx or hex explain why? In terms of the slotted screws getting torn up too easily, I guess that's a reason but is there more?
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Slotted by a long shot
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:21:26 PM EDT
[#10]
For 1911's the original slot screws could be loosened or tightened with a cartridge rim or in detail disassembly one of the arms of the sear spring
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:54:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Prefer slots that are the same size as the rim on the cartridge. 1911 style.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you guys who said torx or hex explain why? In terms of the slotted screws getting torn up too easily, I guess that's a reason but is there more?
View Quote
I just do not like slotted screws call it a sour taste in my mouth in the past with them.  I rarely take screws off or grip panels off.  Plus hex torx have less chance of getting fucked.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:23:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I prefer hex, as slotted gets buggered easily. And if a screw is tricky, I feel the hex gives me better torque. However, I've destroyed some torx bits before, not on guns, so I don't like them much.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:43:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:56:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Although I voted hex (usually replace the slotted ones)

For me it hinges on the application of said handgun

Just how "SHTF" does your sidearm need to be ?

That is the factor to determine
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 12:05:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I generally prefer slotted for aesthetic reasons, but hex is more practical.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:05:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For 1911's the original slot screws could be loosened or tightened with a cartridge rim or in detail disassembly one of the arms of the sear spring
View Quote
I thought it was the lip of the magazine. Either way I just use a screw driver
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:18:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Neither.

I prefer Torx.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I saw an article where pics of sectioned grip screws revealed way more metal left intact with slotted vs hex. They said slotted was stronger, so I vote slotted.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#20]
meh.

Whatever the pistol comes with from the factory.

There are far more important things to obsess over than grip screws.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:43:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I said hex, but Torx would be preferred.

Torx screws have more surface area contact between driver and screw and are less likely to get rounded edges or have the head get stripped.

IMHO all screws should be Torx.  I hate dealing with 4 types of screw heads.  It's stupid that we haven't standardized.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I generally prefer slotted for aesthetic reasons, but hex is more practical.
View Quote
Same.  An old school gun looks better with original slotted grip
Screws.  I have good brownells and Forster gun screw drivers so buggery is a near non issue.

For a a modern styled gun that isn't plastic the hex or torx will be fine.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#23]
I've tried both hex and slotted and the only ones that caused problems were the hex. Broke one off on a Sig P226. Maybe it was a soft screw and maybe I over torqued it. I don't know but suspect it was some of each. I never had that issue with slotted screws.

The trick to not marring the slots is to use the proper sized hollow ground screwdriver. Standard screwdriver heads that are tapered will distort the screw slots very easily.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 3:09:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I saw an article where pics of sectioned grip screws revealed way more metal left intact with slotted vs hex. They said slotted was stronger, so I vote slotted.
View Quote
I agree. I broke a stainless steel hex grip screw. Not enough metal where threaded portion meets bottom of hex hole. Was a Wilson Combat screw so would assume good quality.

Mine are slotted by choice for the above reason.

YMMV
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 5:08:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Hex head is probably the 2nd worst in terms of actually getting damaged by use.

Torx screws are probably best, followed by Robertson (square drive), then hex, and last Phillips.

For grip screws I generally prefer slotted, properly cupped so that you can use a cartridge rim such as the original 1911 grip screws.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
meh.

Whatever the pistol comes with from the factory.

There are far more important things to obsess over than grip screws.
View Quote
Mostly this, but if/when I have a choice (e.g., a custom 1911), I prefer slotted for general utility and aesthetics.

Generally speaking, though, I don't care enough to actively switch whatever it is the gun came with, though.

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hex or torx ... no question slot or Phillips get roughed up or chewed up way to easy.
View Quote
Most of the slotted screws do not appear top be correctly hardened.
Carburize to 0.002 to 0.005 depth is called out followed by tempering at 450F for 20 minutes.
They are NOT inexpensive processes.

They are near file hard when done properly.

The punching process to shape a hex or Torrx recess hardens the steel enough to provide decent life with a quality driver.

The $2.99 hex bits are NOT correctly hardened, and are often not sized corretly either.
The Torx drivers are a little better but the 'deep discount' ones are NOT very good.

For the most part a Torx should have a softer steel shaft and a much harder insert of tool steel in the tip.

older correctly hardened screws stand up much better but can still be damaged by cheap screwdrivers.
A small o-ring between the screw head and grips will go a long way to keeping them tight.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
IMO slotted screws get "screwed up" too easy.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:22:33 AM EDT
[#29]
I had a sig mk25 that the previous owner put some hogue grips and hogue hex head screws on. I wanted to return it to factory so I started taking out the hex heads. Every single one of those hex screws stripped out. I was using a us made quality hex key and applying pressure so everything should have been fine. I then tried everything to get them out: a heat gun in case the were loctite, soaking in oil, a torx in the deformed hex. Nothing did it and ultimately I had to drill each screw out with a screw extractor. Not fun at all and very tedious. Luckily it worked without any problems. From then on, not one of my pistols will ever have a hex nut grip screw if I can help it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:26:27 AM EDT
[#30]
It's interesting to see the divide on this. The reason I ask is because my Beretta seems to have grip screw that sticks out just a bit and I'm wondering if trying new screws will help. If I buy another set, I'm torn on which type to get.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:31:07 AM EDT
[#31]
of the two, hex, slotted screws get boogered up if you don't use a gun smithing screwdriver (hollow ground)
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 4:46:13 AM EDT
[#32]
If you're hand-tightening, slotted.

Torx and hex are too easy to over-torque and screw up your frame.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:24:42 AM EDT
[#33]
I had a Ed Brown Allen head snap off where the head meets the body of the screw.
I guess if they make the pocket the wrench fits in too deep there isn't much material between the head and the threads.
Slotted for me.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:03:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Slotted.  The chances are not great that I will have a torx or hex key around when I may need to take the grips off, but I will always have a screwdriver nearby.
View Quote
This and more.

In the past I've the heads in hex and torx screws get a little rust in the screw head and break off.
Slotted only for me.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:27:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Slotted screws suck for basically everything, so hex/torx. Hex stuff isn't exactly rare anywhere I've been.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:03:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
This Exactly! I've had one or two Torx Head screws round out in the past. Have since changed to slotted and have not had that problem again. YMMV!
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This Exactly! I've had one or two Torx Head screws round out in the past. Have since changed to slotted and have not had that problem again. YMMV!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have seen a whole lot of slotted that are not hardened properly and buggered up.

Unless the hollow ground screwdriver is a perfect fit it will bugger a soft screw.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
I voted hex for the poll, but this is my actual answer, as well.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Torx > Hex > Slot
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:51:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Hex or Torx.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:29:44 AM EDT
[#41]
The hex screws have a nice look to them, but when I bought my first Ruger almost forty years ago, it had really big slotted grip screws. The owners manual said the the entire gun could be disassembled with nothing more that the rim of a cartridge case. That's as easy as it gets.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#42]
The first time a screw driver slipped out of a slotted screw and gouged a nice pair of grips I decided I like hex or torx screws better.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#43]
I prefer using fasteners that can accept an allen or torx bit.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Slotted makes it easier to field strip if needed.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#45]
As a guy that has to work with hex and torx at work, I'll take slotted. 

I hate hex and torx with a passion anywhere corrosion is a possibility. And yes, I always have a screwdriver, dime, knife, or sharp edge handy that I can use to tighten a slotted screw. I'm not going to buy 5 torx or hex wrenches to throw in the vehicles or a travel bag so I can take care of some stupid specialty screw in case it comes loose. 
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:37:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Machined off more hex (10) and trox (2) head screws from 1911 grips than slotted (0). ymmv
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Hex for me.  Slotted screws get messed up easier.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
As a guy that has to work with hex and torx at work, I'll take slotted. 

I hate hex and torx with a passion anywhere corrosion is a possibility. And yes, I always have a screwdriver, dime, knife, or sharp edge handy that I can use to tighten a slotted screw. I'm not going to buy 5 torx or hex wrenches to throw in the vehicles or a travel bag so I can take care of some stupid specialty screw in case it comes loose. 
View Quote
You could always l;earn hot to keep them tight.

I cannot remember the last time I had a 1911 grip screw get loose.

Put a small o-ring under the screw head.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Slotted. More surface area contact = less likely to strip. I have two hex screws in my 1911 that are stripped.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Torx(R) all the things!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top