Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2017 1:19:12 PM EDT
I can't seem to lay hands on a P239 around here, either a standard or an SAS version, so I'm wondering how it compares to pistols like the Walther PPS (which I own) or the G 43, and similar polymer single stack carry pistols?

If anyone has photos of a comparison I'd really appreciate it.  Seeing them side by side give a far better idea of their relative sizes than just looking at the numbers on a stats page.

Hammer vs. striker is not an issue for me, and I honestly have no real preference between the two systems.
My very positive experience with used P229 Enhanced Elite 9mm I picked up a while back has me thinking, that a less chunky Sig might be a nice addition to the carry rotation.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 2:14:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The P239 was my first carry pistol, and, honestly, it's almost the same size as a Glock 19 - the slide is just a little shorter. There are some good comparison photos in this thread:

SIG 239 vs G19

I just couldn't accept the much lower magazine capacity of the P239 when the size was so close to the G19.

You're right that photos comparing the 239 and G43 are hard to find. If it helps, here's a comparison of the G19 and G43 over at Glock Talk, which may be useful when compared to the photos in the first thread:

Glock 43/19 (or 23) comparison pictures?

I no longer have the P239 or I'd compare them myself. Where the G43 really stands out is the width of the grip. In my opinion, the P239 is way too thick in the grip (as wide as the G19) for only being a single stack. It's comfortable to shoot, but so is the G19, with almost twice the capacity.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I carried a 239 for years.  It compares to a Glock 19, P2000, Beretta 92c, P320c, etc.

It's a single stack, but it's more comparable to a compact double stack with a short, somewhat skinny grip.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#3]
its much larger than a G43.   There was a P239 in excellent condition on consignment at LGS for $450, I really wanted to take it home but couldn't justify it given I own multiple P228/P229 and its still pretty close in size.  I am sure its easier to CCW than a P229, but my G43 is way way way easier to CCW.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The Glock 43 took the place of my S&W 442, Glock 26, and Sig P239.  It really is an amazing little pistol if you can shoot it well.  

This is 13 rounds at 25 yards with mine today:

Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had a couple over the years and for it's size, you would be better off with a 228 or 229, as it is only slightly smaller than those two. Like the others have said, it doesn't even compare to the polymer guns. It is much bulkier and heavier and if you can conceal it, I would carry something that has more capacity.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#6]
As others have mentioned the P239 is NOT in the same class as the S&W Shield, Glock 43, and other Single Stack 9mm sub-compacts. P239 is simply NOT a sub-compact. It is a single stack Compact, which is sadly the same size & weight as the double stack Compact offerings from other makers.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Well damn.

Thanks for the intel gents.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#8]
You can get all 3 fingers on the P239 grip a big +. I have 239 in 9mm, love it.shop on line you can find them at online dealers. I bet my life on a P239. I carry IWB , it carries as easily as a snubby.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:01:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to have a P239 in .40 S&W.  I put about 2500 rounds through it and sold it.  The design of the slide lock is questionable I think.  The mags don't lock the slide back reliably.  Someone on another site did a study where they determined the ratio of the force from the magazine follower to the slide latch is 37 times higher on the P226 than the P229.  You'd expect different from a (semi-) classic Sig.     
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:01:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I have both.   The P239 is noticeably larger.   My P239 is a 40 and the G43 is 9mm.    The P239 throws brass right off the range and the G43 is questionable.    I haven't had BTF (Brass to Face) yet but it has dumped them on my arm.   I am working on some pictures now.  

Of course I left the Pierce+1 Magazine extension on for the image of the Glock.    I can redo the images if you need that removed.....

2Hut8
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:48:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used to have a P239 in .40 S&W.  I put about 2500 rounds through it and sold it.  The design of the slide lock is questionable I think.  The mags don't lock the slide back reliably.  Someone on another site did a study where they determined the ratio of the force from the magazine follower to the slide latch is 37 times higher on the P226 than the P229.  You'd expect different from a (semi-) classic Sig.     
View Quote
Thumb placement caused your slide not to lock back, not P239's fault.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:31:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
I had thought of that but I am absolutely certain that was not the cause.  I was careful to eliminate that variable.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:05:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
The placement of the slide lock on the p2xx series is poor. It is in the same spot a lot of 1911 shooters are used to keeping their thumb on the safety. The slim grip of the P239 only makes it worse.

The P239 is about the same size of the G19. Not a great choice for a carry gun unless you're invested in the P226/P229 and want something slimmer.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Like many metal guns such as CZ and Beretta, I love the soft recoil and accuracy of Sig P Series Sig's and the 239 is one of my favorites.  The 239 fits a spot where it is 8 ounces lighter than its bigger brothers and much easier to conceal while carrying.  It inherits the same shooting characteristics of the larger 229, 220 & 226 while possessing a slimmer grip profile.   Surprisingly, loaded it is only a 3 ounces heavier than my .45 Shield and yes, it is roughly the same size at a G19 with with the exception of the grip, and that is what mostly prints when carrying.  Yes, its a single stack that hold 8+1, however that is offset due to how slim the mags are and the ease it is to carry extras.  I usually use a mag carrier but if I slip a SS mag in my pocket I will not normally know if its there, however I would know if I have either a G26, G19/G23 or G30 mag in a pocket, not it mention the larger 17 round mags.  

Regarding my SS list, the 239 is definitely in my rotation and a favorite for many reasons. Loaded my P239 tac weighs 32.7 ounces and as mentioned previously my Shield .45 weighs about 29 ounces so yes it is heavier but hardly as much as some make it sound.  I love my G43 with overwatch precision trigger & Trijicon HD's, my Shield .45 &, 9 w/apex duty kit, and 8 various glocks with NS & apex triggers yadda yadda, however my 239 tactical is among my favorite and will see as much holster time as any of my others; it all depends what I'm doing or wearing for what I have holstered.  If you like P series Sigs you will like the 239, so I wouldn't be discouraged by what others say as only you will know if you like it or not.

For me, I find my FS 226 & 220 a little on the big side for carrying as they print more that I care for but find 239 ideal as it much much lighter and conceals nicely,  much better than the FS Sigs and even less than my G19/23/30 .  According to my scale my FS Sig's weigh in at about 40 to 41 ounces loaded so as a mentioned the 239 is much lighter by 8 ounces.  

Lastly everyone is vastly different so take what everyone says even myself in stride and make up your own mind, however like I said if you like the full size Sig's you will like the 239.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top