Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2006 11:09:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 12:18:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Stick with what you have, get another G19 and/or a G26 or something for backup.

I personally thing most higher end pistols (glock, sig, hk, beretta) work just as well as another, just train on your system.  Plus commonality makes logistics of your hobby a whole lot easier
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I carry a P239 in .40 as my CCW about 45% of the time. It is very comfortable to carry IWB, much more so than my G17 was(which I longer own).  It had to do with the fact the Glock was made like a brick, and the P239 is quite thin at 1.2 inches. The P239 is likely a bit heavier, but I far prefer it. I also carry a P228 and P220. It's personal preference to be sure.

I'm not crazy about he DAK guns though, although I suppose you could get used to it.

Make sure you try both out in your intended carry mode before you buy, if you can.
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 12:30:14 PM EDT
[#3]
G19 all the way, ikor!

serious CCW = seriously simple and ultra reliable

in other words..  Glock.
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 12:54:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I snapped a few pics for you. Sig 239/9 and G19. Sorry for the shoddy quality.  The lighting isn't that great in my gun room.

Thickness-wise, the Sig w/Hogue grips is slightly wider than the Glock.  I just wanted to point out that is all because of the grips.  They are a little fat toward the top.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 1:21:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 1:47:39 PM EDT
[#6]
ikor,
I can't help much with the CCW thing.  I'm not licensed yet.

I just thought I'd put up some quick pics since I have both pistols.

What I'd choose? It's really a draw, in my mind, all dependant on required mag capacity.  The Sig has less, but those single stack mags will dissapear on a belt.

CHRIS  

Link Posted: 10/13/2006 3:21:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#8]

FWIW, i felt the Sig had fewer square corners. You would be surprised what a difference that can make when sitting in a car, restaurant, or even working in the yard.

It's not something you can tell from pictures.
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#10]
ikor, I'd opt for the Glock for the very reasons you gave me once, over lunch. It's simple, it's cheap, and if something happens, you won't cry about it, The ammo capcaity would be a huge plus for me, and I just don't see the Sig keeping up in this race.
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I've carried a P239 in .40 and a G19. First, the Sig w/ standard grips is MUCH thinner. The difference is definitely noticeable and it does conceal easier. That said, the sig is noticeably heavier and I didn't like the DOA pull that mine had. In the end, I sold it to get the G19 because is was lighter, had a better trigger pull, and carried twice as many rounds. I just have to be more careful about keeping the glock from printing than I would about the sig.

Had the P239 been DA/SA (haven't tried a DAK, so can't speak about those), I'd probably still have it instead of the glock. The pistol hides very well, it's just a little on the heavy side.
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 6:28:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I will be needing a very reliable 9mm for serious CCW and have narrowed the choices to my currect G19 or maybe a SIG P239 with the DAK feature. I would appreciate specific input as to sixe comparisons between the two. Much casrry will be IWB and my thoughts are that the Sig will be thinner but I can't find one to compare. I have the G19 and do not want to spend the bucks if they are really close in thickness. Pics would be even better.

Please keep discussion to the two models mentioned, although the same guns in different calibers (G23 etc.) would still be relevant for size comparison.

Thanks

When I first started carrying, I went from a .40 P239 to a Glock 19.  Both were/are eminently reliable; the Glock is significantly lighter on the belt than the Sig was, with a higher magazine capacity; everyone says Sig finishes suck, mine was okay, but the Tennifer finish on the Glock will be one less thing for you to worry about.  If my P239 was a 9mm, I probably would have kept it, but looking back on it now, I would have just went ahead and bought a Glock that'd end up getting carried more than the Sig.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 5:20:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I have both and they are VERY similar in size. I much prefer to carry the Glock because in roughly the same size I have almost twice as many rounds. They are both excellent pistols, but being you already have the Glock, you might as well use it. Both my Glock and SIG have performed well under hard use (courses and the like).

The fact that Glock mags are about half as expensive as SIG mags makes me like using & abusing the Glock more. I can train with it and drop the mags in the sand without feeling bad. The Glock also just feels more substantial in my hands--I feel more comfortable in killing motherfuckers with it. I don't really care for the differing single and DA pulls on the SIG, though getting a DAK would cure that issue.
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 8:26:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The Glock also just feels more substantial in my hands--I feel more comfortable in killing motherfuckers with it.

See this is where I would say the opposite. The weightier Sig, despite having less capacity (The 9mm P239 can hold 10 with the factory 10 rounders) feels better in my hands. Just goes to show personal preference plays a big part. Althought I realize the Grock will be more popular by far, this is a very subjective issue. Granted, I had a G17, but I never felt 100% comfortable with the grip angle or polymer "feel".

FWIW I have been able to find factory P239 mags for about the same price as Grock mags(and in .40, the factory 9mms are plentiful) it can be done if you look.

I think it really boils down to preference and shooting style. If I can't hit the perp(s) with 10 rounds, then maybe I shouldn't be carrying at all.
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 10:32:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Edit: Whoops, I see the destination was not mentioned in the original post. Sorry.
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I have both, the G19 is, in my opinion, much handier that the 17.  I have been carrying it a lot lately.  (partly that's because it's new to me)  But when
I'm wearing jeans and a shirt, and I want to really hide it, the 239 is in.  

The 239 is a little smaller, and not as square, it is more comfortable all day in an IWB.  But the G19 is a great gun.

pick the one that you shoot best, practice, and carry it.  Then practice some more.
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I have both, the G19 is, in my opinion, much handier that the 17.  I have been carrying it a lot lately.  (partly that's because it's new to me)  But when
I'm wearing jeans and a shirt, and I want to really hide it, the 239 is in.  

The 239 is a little smaller, and not as square, it is more comfortable all day in an IWB.  But the G19 is a great gun.

pick the one that you shoot best, practice, and carry it.  Then practice some more.

Not to put words in his mouth, but I think he's got the practice part down...
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I carry a g19, so i guess i would suggest the g19.  I have no issues concealing it and 16 rounds is very comforting. I would also suggest night sights on which ever gun you carry.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#21]
double post, sorry
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 7:14:31 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the info and suggestions, guys, but my old computer just may have made the decision for me over the weekend. It crashed and burned and I got pizzed and bought a new box, so I do not have as much in discretionary funds as I did when I originally posted.

I don't have a problem with telling you this will be in South Africa, but in some of the relatively better areas of Cape Town...a beautiful city. The seasons are reversed, so it will be high summer there. The G19 is a bit harder for me to hide in an IWB than a slimmer handgun would be, but I trust it, and if I shoot some thug it might be tied up in evidence forever, or handed back to me the same day...you never know over there. To me, a Glock is just a tool, with little to no "soul"...I can always get another. An excellent and reliable tool, but not like one of my old friends, my 1911's.

I will carry WW 127+P+ SXT and will have three mags at my disposal, although I may only carry one spare, depending on the place / situation. In SA if you have permission to carry, you MUST carry, or the weapon must be under lock and key. If it is stolen you may be arrested...and you do NOT want to see the inside of their jails!

As darm has noted in a different thread here, the "dynamics" of confrontation there are totally different than here, and while some victims are allowed to go unharmed or at least not deliberately killed, a great many are not, especially females, and I will be with an old and very good friend who is definitely female. I will not "go gently into that good night", nor allow her to do so.

Still, my curiosity is up and I will be at the next fun show to look closely at the 239 DAKs..it is still possible I may try one out if it is noticeably slimmer to me.

It's too bad they don't make the P239 with the stamped lightweight slide like the P228.
I was looking at my Sigs last night and my P239 feels just as heavy or heavier as my P228. The stamped slide vs heavy machined slide is the difference between the Sigs made in Germany and those made in the US (all but frame). You might try a German made P228, if you can still find one NIB or excellent used(they are no longer imported). IMO, that is the best 9mm handgun I have ever had to pleasure to conceal, carry and shoot. Points better than anything I have held.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top