Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2016 8:06:02 PM EDT
I've shot prvi m193 almost exclusively through my ar's, but the  gold is a little cheaper. How does the brass cased wolf compare to m193 prvi?
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:25:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the PPU but I have been stacking WG deep for the past few years

I have shot around 2moa consistently with different lots from 50 out to 500meters. Best ammo for the $ IMO.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:34:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Wolf Gold 55 grain FMJ

When most shooters hear the phrase “Wolf ammunition,” what usually comes to mind is steel-cased rounds loaded with bi-metal jacketed bullets.  Fortunately, the 55 grain FMJ “Wolf Gold” ammunition that is manufactured in Taiwan does not fit this description.  

The Wolf Gold ammunition reviewed for this report uses brass cases with the annealing iris still visible and is loaded with typical copper jacketed/lead core bullets.  The 55 grain projectile has a cannelure and there is a collet crimp at the case mouth.  The case mouth is also sealed with asphalt sealant.  The brass case has crimped and sealed boxer primers and the round is charged with ball powder.

When most shooters hear the phrase “55 grain FMJ,” what usually comes to mind is M193 ammunition. The velocity specification for M193 as cited in MIL-C-9963F states:

The average velocity of the sample cartridges, conditioned at 72 degrees, plus or minus 2 degrees Fahrenheit (F), shall be 3165 feet per second (ft/sec), plus or minus 40 ft/sec, at 75 feet from the muzzle of the weapon.  The standard deviation of the velocities shall not exceed 40 ft/sec.

The specification is for a 20” barrel.  Depending on multiple variables, this velocity specification equates to a muzzle velocity of approximately 3270 FPS, plus or minus 40 FPS.  I chronographed the Wolf Gold 55 grain FMJ ammunition from a semi-automatic AR-15 with a chrome-lined, NATO chambered 20” Colt M16A2 barrel.

Chronographing was conducted using an Oehler 35-P chronograph with “proof screen” technology. The Oehler 35P chronograph is actually two chronographs in one package that takes two separate chronograph readings for each shot and then has its onboard computer analyze the data to determine if there is any statistically significant difference between the two readings.  If there is, the chronograph “flags” the shot to let you know that the data is invalid.  There was no invalid data flagged during this testing.

The velocity stated below is the muzzle velocity as calculated from the instrumental velocity using Oehler’s Ballistic Explorer software program. The string of fire consisted of 10 rounds over the chronograph.

Each round was single-loaded and cycled into the chamber from a magazine fitted with a single-load follower. The bolt locked-back after each shot allowing the chamber to cool in between each shot. This technique was used to mitigate the possible influence of “chamber-soak” on velocity data. Each new shot was fired in a consistent manner after hitting the bolt release.  Atmospheric conditions were monitored and recorded using a Kestrel 4000 Pocket Weather Tracker.

The muzzle velocity for the 10-shot string of the Wolf Gold 55 grain FMJ ammunition was 3213 FPS with a standard deviation of 25 FPS. For comparison, IMI M193 had a muzzle velocity of 3274 FPS when fired from the same barrel, with a standard deviation of 18 FPS.

Atmospheric conditions.

Temperature:  77 degrees F
Humidity:  40%
Barometric pressure:  30.12 inches of Hg
Elevation:  950 feet above sea level

The accuracy specification for M193 cited in MIL-C-9963F is as follows:

The average of the mean radii of all targets of the sample cartridges, fired at 200 yards, shall not exceed 2.0 inches.

These averages are from 10-shot groups fired from machine rested, bolt-actioned test barrels, such as the ones pictured below.  All things being equal (which of course they seldom are) this specification equates to a mean radius of 1 inch at 100 yards for 10-shot groups.  

I conducted an accuracy (technically, precision) evaluation of the Wolf Gold 55 grain FMJ ammunition following my usual protocol.  This accuracy evaluation used statistically significant shot-group sizes and every single shot in a fired group was included in the measurements. There was absolutely no use of any Group Reduction Techniques (e.g. fliers, target movement, Butterfly Shots).

The shooting set-up will be described in detail below. As many of the significant variables as was practicable were controlled for. Also, a  control group was fired from the test-rifle used in the evaluation using match-grade, hand-loaded ammunition; in order to demonstrate the capability of the barrel. Pictures of shot-groups are posted for documentation.

All shooting was conducted from a concrete bench-rest from a distance of 100 yards (confirmed with a laser rangefinder.) The barrel used in the evaluation was free-floated. The free-float handguards of the rifle rested in a Sinclair Windage Benchrest, while the stock of the rifle rested in a Protektor bunny-ear rear bag. Sighting was accomplished via a Leupold VARI-X III set at 25X magnification and adjusted to be parallax-free at 100 yards. A mirage shade was attached to the objective-bell of the scope. Wind conditions on the shooting range were continuously monitored using a Wind Probe. The set-up was very similar to that pictured below.

The Wind Probe.

The test vehicle for this evaluation was one of my semi-automatic precision AR-15s with a 20” stainless-steel Lothar Walther barrel.  The barrel has a 223 Wylde chamber with a 1:8” twist.

Prior to firing the Wolf Gold ammunition, I fired a 10-shot control group using match-grade hand-loads topped with the Sierra 55 grain BlitzKing.  That group had an extreme spread of 0.78”.

Next, three 10-shot groups of the Wolf Gold were fired in a row with the resulting extreme spreads:

2.13”
2.60”
2.44”

for a 10-shot group average extreme spread of 2.39”.  The three 10-shot groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group.  The mean radius for the 30-shot composite group was 0.76”.

The smallest 10-shot group.

The 30-shot composite group.

….

Prvi Partizan M193

Three 10-shot groups of the Priv Partizan M193 were fired in a row from a distance of 100 yards.  The groups had extreme spreads of:

2.72”
3.89”
3.74”

for a 10-shot group average extreme spread of 3.45”.  All three of these groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group.  The mean radius for the composite group was 1.01”.

The smallest 10-shot group of PPU M193

The 30-shot composite group.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Wolf Gold.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 1:04:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I really like Prvi M193 and have quite a bit of it, but Wolf Gold is what I'm buying now.

Best bargain going for brass cased .223 ammo. And it's essentially a 5.56 load.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#5]
WG is bit more accurate for me than Prvi m193. That said, I've had no issues with the latter. At a lower price, I would take Prvi. Price being equal, it's WG all day.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:04:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
WG is bit more accurate for me than Prvi m193. That said, I've had no issues with the latter. At a lower price, I would take Prvi. Price being equal, it's WG all day.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:15:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I see no real world difference in either. I shoot both & stock both.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:40:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I see no real world difference in either. I shoot both & stock both.
View Quote

Same here.  Love both.  Love it when Prvi is on sale.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Prvi M193 is slightly more accurate out of my guns but I've been buying WG lately because it's easier to find and is cheaper.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Wolf gold all day long.

The crimps on PPU primers is crazy. I hate prepping PPU cases
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 8:03:33 AM EDT
[#12]
PPU seemed to be a bit more accurate for me.  I was shooting it all last summer.  Towards the end, I picked up a case and a half of Wolf Gold, and I did not shoot as well with it, using the same rifles I was using with the PPU.  I could basically keep a 2 inch group with the PPU.  The WG opened up a bit more to about a 3 inch group, and it also "feels" different than PPU.  It feels more vague, if that makes sense.  Maybe it has a different pressure curve and you can fell it through the rifle while firing.  Not saying it is bad, just different.  I think that if I shot them side by side, without being told what was in the magazines, I could identify which was which.

I thought maybe I got a low powered batch, since everyone says it is basically M193 spec and it didn't feel that way to me.  But the strong ejection pattern, and the ejector marks on the brass indicated that it was full power ammo.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I've stacked deep on Wolf Gold, can't beat the recent prices. I bought more last month. It might have gone up now.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 10:53:35 PM EDT
[#14]
So if Wolf is loaded to 5.56 specs as it has been mentioned, I presume it is still a 223,  therefor safe to shoot in a 223 chambered rifle?
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 9:23:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So if Wolf is loaded to 5.56 specs as it has been mentioned, I presume it is still a 223,  therefor safe to shoot in a 223 chambered rifle?
View Quote

The specs are what mattes, not the name....
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#16]
The name has nothing to do with my question, other than to ID which ammo I am referring to.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Well if ammo loaded to 5.56 specs isn't safe to shoot in your .223, and Wolf Gold is loaded to 5.56 specs, what is so hard to understand?
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#18]
The box clearly says 223.  I see velocities posted above, but I haven't seen anything related to chamber pressures.  I'm sure there is 223 ammo that runs a little hot, and 5.56 ammo that is slower than specs for velocity and pressure.  At the above mentioned velocities, I would certainly have a look for high pressure signs on the spent casings.  BUT, the box still says 223.  That manufacturer is saying it meets those specs by doing so.  I would suspect a very large lawsuit would happen IF Wolf were selling over pressure 223 rounds and someone were to get injured or killed by it.  TO ME, I wouldn't be shooting this through a 223 chamber anyway, as it isn't designed to be match ammo (I know all 223 weapons are not target rifles, but standared ARs almost always are 5.56 or Wylde).  It is plinking ammo/stash ammo.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well if ammo loaded to 5.56 specs isn't safe to shoot in your .223, and Wolf Gold is loaded to 5.56 specs, what is so hard to understand?
View Quote
Dude,, did you fail reading comprehension? It is a 223 case, but loaded to 5.56 specs. Is that hard to understand?
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 6:24:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The box clearly says 223.  I see velocities posted above, but I haven't seen anything related to chamber pressures.  I'm sure there is 223 ammo that runs a little hot, and 5.56 ammo that is slower than specs for velocity and pressure.  At the above mentioned velocities, I would certainly have a look for high pressure signs on the spent casings.  BUT, the box still says 223.  That manufacturer is saying it meets those specs by doing so.  I would suspect a very large lawsuit would happen IF Wolf were selling over pressure 223 rounds and someone were to get injured or killed by it.  TO ME, I wouldn't be shooting this through a 223 chamber anyway, as it isn't designed to be match ammo (I know all 223 weapons are not target rifles, but standared ARs almost always are 5.56 or Wylde).  It is plinking ammo/stash ammo.
View Quote

This is a good answer,,
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Dude,, did you fail reading comprehension? It is a 223 case, but loaded to 5.56 specs. Is that hard to understand?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No I can read fine.  If you can tell me how you can accelerate a round to 5.56 velocities with .223 pressures I'm all ears.  I don't think it's possible.

Edit: Maybe it is possible.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No I can read fine.  If you can tell me how you can accelerate a round to 5.56 velocities with .223 pressures I'm all ears.  I don't think it's possible.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pressure can be a function of how fast the powder burns.  I'm sure you've heard "each action has an equal and opposite reaction."  That's is where a total amount of powder being burned creates a certain amount of force.  If the powder burns more slowly, the "push" of the burning powder is still there, but it occurs over a longer period of time.  As such, the peak pressure will be lower than if the powder burned in a much quicker time period.  Proof of this occurs when you see different velocities occurring with the EXACT SAME LOAD but in a longer barrel.  The 223 load didn't suddenly become a 5.56 load because a longer barrel was used.  Nor, did the 5.56 load suddenly become a 223 load because a shorter barrel was used.  Velocity is a function of MANY factors and not only whether the ammo in question is 5.56 or 223.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
The specification is for a 20” barrel.  Depending on multiple variables, this velocity specification equates to a muzzle velocity of approximately 3270 FPS, plus or minus 40 FPS.  I chronographed the Wolf Gold 55 grain FMJ ammunition from a semi-automatic AR-15 with a chrome-lined, NATO chambered 20” Colt M16A2 barrel.

The muzzle velocity for the 10-shot string of the Wolf Gold 55 grain FMJ ammunition was 3213 FPS with a standard deviation of 25 FPS. For comparison, IMI M193 had a muzzle velocity of 3274 FPS when fired from the same barrel, with a standard deviation of 18 FPS.

It's not loaded to 5.56 specs.  It's loaded to near 5.56 specs.  It is sold as .223 and should be fine in a .223 chamber.  Then again 5.56 should be fine in a .223 chamber, I can't think of a single damaged rifle from firing 5.56 in a .223 chamber.  I think people make a bigger issue of the difference then there is reason to, especially for AR's which are pretty overbuilt.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Don't want to clutter things up with another thread. So, has anyone ever used German 56 grain MEN m193 spec 5.56?
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:09:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Don't want to clutter things up with another thread. So, has anyone ever used German 56 grain MEN m193 spec 5.56?
View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/692138_MEN__Metallwerk_Elisenhuette_GmbH__M193_Range_Report.html

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top