Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/21/2016 12:02:47 PM EDT
I installed an Adams Arms piston on a rifle that I chambered in 7.62x39 and I'm having some issues with the gun not picking up rounds, not locking back and not ejecting.

Originally I thought it was a lubrication problem but now I'm not so sure. I took the rifle to the range yesterday and had a lot of feeding/ejecting and cycling problems today I had the same just not as often. Yesterday it was every round today it was every 2-3 rounds and the bolt never locks back.

Like I said I lubed the crap out of it this morning. Yesterday after the range I looked at the piston and thought it was rubbing on the snap ring and weld ring so I adjusted both and while it did improve it I noticed the bolt is not traveling far enough back to lock back but it is far enough to eject the cases.

Does this sound like a gas problem to anyone? This is a carbine gas system and right now the piston is set to full gas. Should I adjust it to the half/low pressure setting? I'm thinking this might be the issue since the 7.62x39 is a low pressure round, maybe the full gas setting on the piston isn't allowing the action to cycle?

The other issue I'm having is light primer strikes. I am using an enhanced firing pin and mil-spec trigger/trigger pins. The ammo I've been using is Sellier & Bellot 7.62x39mm 123 Grain FMJ.

This is my first piston operated rifle all of my other builds are DI and haven't had these problems.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you ran this lower with a known working upper? What is the buffer spring and weight?

How did this upper perform before the piston conversion?

The gas port may be sized for direct impingement operation. Not as a piston. Does the gas piston conversion recommend a port size?

Inspect the new bolt lugs for unusual wear.

Whenever I change any of the above items I over oil the bolt, carrier and charging handle and hand cycle, clean and reoil. Insect for any odd wear patterns.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:15:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you ran this lower with a known working upper? What is the buffer spring and weight?

How did this upper perform before the piston conversion?

The gas port may be sized for direct impingement operation. Not as a piston. Does the gas piston conversion recommend a port size?

Inspect the new bolt lugs for unusual wear.

Whenever I change any of the above items I over oil the bolt, carrier and charging handle and hand cycle, clean and reoil. Insect for any odd wear patterns.
View Quote

Rifle was purpose built. The upper was built for the lower. The lower was built for the upper. I have not tried an upper from another rifle.  Piston gas block is .750 and the barrel is a Green Mountain GM-M10 7.62X39mm barrel also for .750. I can't find anything on Adams Arms website about specific port size or anything in the instruction manual. The rifle was not DI before I installed the piston kit. It was built as a piston rifle.

Looked over the instruction manual and I'm thinking I did not have it installed properly. I readjusted it and I'll get it back out to the range this week to see if it's functioning better. I'll report back here when I do.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:15:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Please email [email protected] for some troubleshooting questions. We will get this worked out and get this build running.

Cody
Adams Arms
Customer Service
View Quote

Thanks for the response, Cody. I'll shoot you an email now.

Cody,

I just tried to send you an email but it's coming back as "Undeliverable".
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:39:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I think you are undergassed.
Both of my carbine length gas DI 7.62X39 AR's have larger gas PORTS,     .1065 and .095

Good luck.
Edit, these are gas PORT sizes, not gas block journal size.
Both of my gas block journals are .750"
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Both of my carbine length gas DI 7.62X39 AR's have larger gas PORTS,     .1065 and .095

Good luck.
View Quote

Yeah, I figured that but Green Mountain doesn't give gas port sizes. I guess I could go home and measure the port. If it is too small could I re-drill/ream it? Of course I'll be taking it back to the range to test it before I go that route. Not to mention I'd like to exhaust every possible other issue before getting to that point.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:26:55 AM EDT
[#7]
If you go up in size(drill) go about .005 at a time if you can.
Let us know what your gas port size is now if you check it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you go up in size(drill) go about .005 at a time if you can.
Let us know what your gas port size is now if you check it.
View Quote

I'm going to try taking it to the range again first. I readjusted how it was installed and it seems to move more freely in the upper. If I still have the same results I'll measure the gas port.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Good luck.
View Quote

I commented on your other post and use above sizes I messed up my decimal points on the other post but I drilled out my 7.62x39 10.5 barrel for my syrac piston kit and works flawlessly now. I also am running the taccom 10 percent less buffer spring and the 1 oz buffer from taccom also
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I commented on your other post and use above sizes I messed up my decimal points on the other post but I drilled out my 7.62x39 10.5 barrel for my syrac piston kit and works flawlessly now. I also am running the taccom 10 percent less buffer spring and the 1 oz buffer from taccom also
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

My barrel is 16" in length. Does the port hole size matter with barrel length? I'm also using a rifle length buffer tube with a rifle spring and buffer. I'd still like to get it ot the range one more time with the changes I've made to the piston system before drilling/reaming the gas port.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, barrel length and location(carbine, mid, rifle) of gas port does matter.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes, barrel length and location(carbine, mid, rifle) of gas port does matter.
View Quote

That's what I thought. It's Carbine length so what size would the hole need to be for an Adams kit?

I am still unable to send an email to Cody from Adams Arms; the emails all come back as undeliverable. I think I figured it out, he's got an "f" in his email where there shouldn't be one. Hopefully he gets it now.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
[email protected], sorry about that.
View Quote

It's all good. I eventually figured it out; after racking my brain trying to figure out what the "F" stood for and then realizing it shouldn't be there. You should have an email from me. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 3:18:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My barrel is 16" in length. Does the port hole size matter with barrel length? I'm also using a rifle length buffer tube with a rifle spring and buffer. I'd still like to get it ot the range one more time with the changes I've made to the piston system before drilling/reaming the gas port.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

you should be running a carbine length buffer spring and buffer weight that may be the issue right there
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

you should be running a carbine length buffer spring and buffer weight that may be the issue right there
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

It shouldn't matter. 16" barrel will run with rifle stock or collapsible stock as long as receiver extension, springs and buffers are correct.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It shouldn't matter. 16" barrel will run with rifle stock or collapsible stock as long as receiver extension, springs and buffers are correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

Yeah, I only have two rifles running a carbine gas system and carbine buffer springs and buffers, the other two run carbine gas systems but rifle buffer springs and buffers. This is the only one I've had a problem with and I'm thinking it's a gas problem like was mentioned. Oddly enough all of my rifles run 16" barrels except for the first one I build and that has a 14.5" barrel with a 2" brake pinned and welded to it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 7:20:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

That's a big part you left out of the 1st post.

Try the upper on your carbine buffer and spring lower

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:19:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, sorry about that.

Spoke to Cody from Adams Arms last night and they age going to let me exchange the standard carrier I got in the kit for the light weight carrier and I've also ordered a carbine stock, buffer tube and I already have a carbine spring sitting in my parts box. He thinks in going to have to drill the port out as well.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:30:29 PM EDT
[#21]
the light weight carrier should work better actually more adjustment in the piston system
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
the light weight carrier should work better actually more adjustment in the piston system
View Quote

I probably should've ordered the low mass carrier from the get-go like I had originally planned. I knew the 39 round was low pressure but didn't realize the heavier carrier was going to make that big of a difference.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I run a standard carrier with the syrac kit because they don't offer a low mass one and it works good with the reduced buffer spring and 1 oz buffer
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I run a standard carrier with the syrac kit because they don't offer a low mass one and it works good with the reduced buffer spring and 1 oz buffer
View Quote

Where did you get a 1 ounce buffer? I've only ever found ones 3.0 ounces; just ordered one this weight. Did you remove the weights from a 3.8 ounce carbine buffer?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Where did you get a 1 ounce buffer? I've only ever found ones 3.0 ounces; just ordered one this weight. Did you remove the weights from a 3.8 ounce carbine buffer?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nope look up taccom buffer
http://www.tacticallink.com/Taccom-Reduced-Recoil-Rifle-Buffer-Spring-for-AR15.html
that and this
http://www.tacticallink.com/Taccom-Ultra-Lightweight-Carbine-Buffer-for-AR15.html
works great no bolt bounce and lightens recoil to me
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

http://www.tacticallink.com/Taccom-Reduced-Recoil-Rifle-Buffer-Spring-for-AR15.html
that and this
http://www.tacticallink.com/Taccom-Ultra-Lightweight-Carbine-Buffer-for-AR15.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that and this

Its funny you mention Taccom, as soon as I posted my question to you I Googled "1 ounce buffer" and that website came up. I immediately bookmarked it and will be placing an order.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Good luck.
View Quote

OK so from talking with Cody at Adams Arms he suggests a gas port anywhere between 0.075" - 0.085". I currently have brand new drill bits in 0.061.5" (1/16"), 0.076.5" (5/64) and 0.092.5" (3/32) the next drill bit I have is measuring at 0.108" (7/64) and I'm afraid would be too much. If I open the port up to 0.076.5" would that be OK? I do not have a hole reamer.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

OK so from talking with Cody at Adams Arms he suggests a gas port anywhere between 0.075" - 0.085". I currently have brand new drill bits in 0.061.5" (1/16"), 0.076.5" (5/64) and 0.092.5" (3/32) the next drill bit I have is measuring at 0.108" (7/64) and I'm afraid would be too much. If I open the port up to 0.076.5" would that be OK? I do not have a hole reamer.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

I sent mine off to Samson the rail company thinking the barrel was whipping and hitting the rail and they said send it to us and we will fix it no questions asked. turns out it wasn't the rail it was the gas hole. they said they tried it drilled out to .092 and it would work but it wasn't getting enough gas to be adjustable so they went to .109 or .108 either way I can have the gas at the 6 position out of 16 possible positions and give me room to adjust the piston when I suppress it and maybe run sub sonic ammo so up to you I would not worry about opening it up to .092 should have a problem. got to love trouble shooting huh
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I sent mine off to Samson the rail company thinking the barrel was whipping and hitting the rail and they said send it to us and we will fix it no questions asked. turns out it wasn't the rail it was the gas hole. they said they tried it drilled out to .092 and it would work but it wasn't getting enough gas to be adjustable so they went to .109 or .108 either way I can have the gas at the 6 position out of 16 possible positions and give me room to adjust the piston when I suppress it and maybe run sub sonic ammo so up to you I would not worry about opening it up to .092 should have a problem. got to love trouble shooting huh
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

Troubleshooting is fun. Actually I just chucked the 5/64 bit up in my drill and it dropped through the hole so it's already at 0.76.5". I think I'll hold off on trying to open it up and just wait till I get the low mass carrier from Cody at Adams; I just dropped the standard weight carrier in the mail this afternoon. Then I'll change out the stock for the carbine stock, buffer and see if that helps. If not then I'll open it up.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:15:59 PM EDT
[#30]
What size bit do you want?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What size bit do you want?
View Quote

I'm not sure what bit I'd need. The port is already at 0.076.5" I'm going to try the rifle again with lighter components and see how it fares before I open the port.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Troubleshooting is fun. Actually I just chucked the 5/64 bit up in my drill and it dropped through the hole so it's already at 0.76.5". I think I'll hold off on trying to open it up and just wait till I get the low mass carrier from Cody at Adams; I just dropped the standard weight carrier in the mail this afternoon. Then I'll change out the stock for the carbine stock, buffer and see if that helps. If not then I'll open it up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

it is fun that's what I say 5.56 is just to easy to put together and know its gonna work hahah and I think those changes will help alot
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 10:16:25 AM EDT
[#33]
I had the same problem. My build now has the low mass carrier, adjustable gas block, lighter buffer and I opened up the port size (Forget what size). It works great now, except for the XLP adjustable gas block freezing up after light use.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I had the same problem. My build now has the reduced weight carrier, adjustable gas block, lighter buffer and I opened up the port size (Forget what size). It works great now, except for the XLP adjustable gas block freezing up after light use.
View Quote

I wish they made an five position adjustable block with a rail on it like they do for the two position block.

Adams received my Standard Weight Carrier on Friday afternoon. I spoke to Cody after he got it and he says he'll be doing exchanges on Tuesday.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Just updating this thread with a thank you to Cody at Adams Arms. I received my new carrier yesterday. Got it installed with a carbine stock, spring and buffer. I didn't get a chance to take it back to the range yet. But thanks, Cody for helping me out.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 2:08:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Any word on how it works yet?
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 8:00:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Any word on how it works yet?
View Quote

I should be taking it to the range on Sunday. I did not drill the gas port though. I'm going to run it with the carbine, stock/buffer and spring and the low mass carrier first and see how it runs before drilling the port out.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 8:14:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I probably should've ordered the low mass carrier from the get-go like I had originally planned. I knew the 39 round was low pressure but didn't realize the heavier carrier was going to make that big of a difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The carrier only makes a difference because AA was not designed to run a 7.62x39. My Black Rifle Arms 7.62x39 CAPS Upper runs carbine spring with h2 buffer with a full auto carrier and runs it flawlessly and the gas port is not drilled out huge either. When a system is designed for specific calibers you don't run into all these issues.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 8:41:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The carrier only makes a difference because AA was not designed to run a 7.62x39. My Black Rifle Arms 7.62x39 CAPS Upper runs carbine spring with h2 buffer with a full auto carrier and runs it flawlessly and the gas port is not drilled out huge either. When a system is designed for specific calibers you don't run into all these issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always been confused on the whole H1, H2, H3 buffer thing. I usually just run standard 3 ounce or 3.5 ounce carbine buffers and I put a 3 ounce buffer in this rifle. What is the difference between them?
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I've always been confused on the whole H1, H2, H3 buffer thing. I usually just run standard 3 ounce or 3.5 ounce carbine buffers and I put a 3 ounce buffer in this rifle. What is the difference between them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bufers differ in weight and the heavier weight buffers slows the bolt carriers velocity down.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 4:19:27 AM EDT
[#41]
I have the same setup, GM barrel and AA piston kit with the same issue initially.   I installed  the Wolfe reduced power spring with carbine buffer and the rifle has not missed a beat since.  It is a sweet setup using CPD mags.

Forgot to mention my bolt is an ARP and the carrier is a mil-spec  M16 auto.

I just reread your initial post OP and you mention light primer strikes. Again, same problem on my rifle at first and a lot of folks go w/enhance power trigger springs to cure problem.  I'm not a fan of that fix because of the increased wt. of trigger pull.  An ALG trigger fixed my light primer strikes. Poor man/inexpensive fix, bend your trigger spring legs on current trigger.

Good luck, hope this helps and you get her running, like someone else posted, 1/2 the fun is messing with these things to get them where you want.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:52:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have the same setup, GM barrel and AA piston kit with the same issue initially.   I installed  the Wolfe reduced power spring with carbine buffer and the rifle has not missed a beat since.  It is a sweet setup using CPD mags.

Forgot to mention my bolt is an ARP and the carrier is a mil-spec  M16 auto.

I just reread your initial post OP and you mention light primer strikes. Again, same problem on my rifle at first and a lot of folks go w/enhance power trigger springs to cure problem.  I'm not a fan of that fix because of the increased wt. of trigger pull.  An ALG trigger fixed my light primer strikes. Poor man/inexpensive fix, bend your trigger spring legs on current trigger.

Good luck, hope this helps and you get her running, like someone else posted, 1/2 the fun is messing with these things to get them where you want.
View Quote

I swapped the rifle length buffer tube, buffer and spring out to a carbine tube, butter and spring and installed Adams low mass carrier. I'm going to take it to the range tomorrow and give it a try. I also ordered a Wolf Extra Power trigger spring just in case I'm still getting light primer strikes. Hopefully the rifle will function. If not I'll try drilling the gas port.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Range Report:

Took it back to the range with the Carbine stock/buffer and spring and Adams Low Mass carrier. It performed a bit better but I still had some issues. I managed to put 44 rounds through it before I packed it up and switched to my 6.8. I loaded up the first three mags; one had one round, the second had three rounds and the third mag had five rounds.

First mag, fired, ejected, did not lock back.

Second mag, fired all three rounds, ejected and locked back.

Third mag, fired all five rounds, ejected and locked back.

I then loaded the fourth and fifth mag with 10 rounds each (max capacity for my mags); I am using CPD 10 round mags.

First mag loaded to ten fired all ten, ejected all 10 and locked back after the last round.

Second mag; shit started going sideways, first round, failure to feed. In fact it pushed the round into the case: (I didn't think to take a pic of the round so I made an MS Paint instead)

" />

The second and third round in the second at capacity mag fired and ejected. BCG failed to pick up the fourth round; got a "click", I racked it, it chambered, fired and ejected. All other rounds fired and ejected but failed to lock back. And that's how it went for the rest of the shoot. Should I try and drill the barrel? I did order a Taccom Carbine buffer kit (they are at 2.4 ounces I believe); I really don't want to drill the barrel out if I can get it to run with a lighter buffer. The BCG, buffer and buffer spring were lubed to all hell. I have not pulled the rifle apart yet to clean/inspect.

It did run a bit better but it's no where as reliable as my other rifles.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Try the reduced power buffer spring, it slows the return of the bolt a bit and lets the mag push the next round up.  Instead of the bolt waiting on the round the round is waiting on the bolt.  The reduced power spring should allow the bolt to lock back, as I mentioned it did on mine.

Now I also polished my feed ramps after enlarging them with a dremmel.  There are several videos on doing this.

Sounds like you are getting close.

Just thought of this, does the piston rod slide for a aft with no binding as you raise and lower the muzzle.  Obviously, make sure that it does.

I'm with you on not wanting to drill gas port.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Try the reduced power buffer spring, it slows the return of the bolt a bit and lets the mag push the next round up.  Instead of the bolt waiting on the round the round is waiting on the bolt.  The reduced power spring should allow the bolt to lock back, as I mentioned it did on mine.

Now I also polished my feed ramps after enlarging them with a dremmel.  There are several videos on doing this.

Just thought of this, does the piston rod slide for a aft with no binding as you raise and lower the muzzle.  Obviously, make sure that it does.

View Quote

I just ordered a Wolf Reduced Carbine Spring as well. Hopefully I can get this thing running like all my other rifles; it's definitely not as fun to shoot as it sits right now.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 12:36:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I just ordered a Wolf Reduced Carbine Spring as well. Hopefully I can get this thing running like all my other rifles; it's definitely not as fun to shoot as it sits right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

your soo close man almost there congrats on getting this far I would try the springs and 1 oz buffer and maybe think about drilling the barrel out some but that's up to you
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Try chamfering bottom of gas block...worked for me on a 300 BLKOUT I built...just saying.

Ocho
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#48]
I would have used the Springco Yellow reduced spring rather than wolf. But I would try that with the Taccom buffer.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I would have used the Springco Yellow reduced spring rather than wolf. But I would try that with the Taccom buffer.
View Quote

Oddly enough, I still have not received my Wolff Reduced Power spring yet. I was told it shipped out last Friday. I have my doubts.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Oddly enough, I still have not received my Wolff Reduced Power spring yet. I was told it shipped out last Friday. I have my doubts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will probably be there tomorrow. However I always use Sprinco. Best quality springs I've ever owned.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top