BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 20
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 7:41:01 PM EDT
[#1]
question:  What's the buffer tube length difference between the bushy and the model 1?  in other words, which will allow a shorter overall length?
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#2]
AFAIK, they are identical in length but the Model 1 Sales unit is heavier and lacks any sort of buffer material.  If you don't understand how the buffer works, it uses shot which smacks the rear of the buffer when the carrier reaches the end of its travel delaying sligthly the forward motion of the carrier and spreading out the peak in the recoil impulse at that point.  It does the same thing on the forward stroke but in this case, it is buffering the 'bounce' of the bolt carrier as it closes.  "Bounce" is the rebounding of the bolt carrier as it flies forward and strikes the metalic surface at the end of its travel.  As it begins to bounce, the shot strikes the front of the buffer and threfore stops the bounce dead in its tracks ensuring the carrier is forward to allow the firing pin to strike the primer solidly when you pull the trigger.

This is one feature that the Model 1 Sales people ignored and many of the complaints you hear about reliability stem from this.
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 8:05:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: armax] [#3]
I just got a look at bushmasters site.  It looks like the length of the bushy buffer tube is longer than the model 1 buffer tube but shorter than the ace buffer tube.
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Unless my tape measure stretched out and then contracted, the Model 1 Sales and Bushy buffers are almost exactly the same length.  It looks like they aren't because there are multiple pieces to the Model 1 Unit.
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 8:16:24 PM EDT
[#5]
got it.  thanks for the info.  Bushmaster, here I come...
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Picked up my new Bushmaster pistol today, think I need a flash hider!!

More pictures tomorrow if I get to the range.
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 11:57:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: exsanguinate] [#7]
here's mine. nothing too special, except it is an AR pistol. for reliability issues, i used a CAR buffer. note the bolt on the bottom end of the buffer tube. the nut is welded to the bolt  as to prevent a stock from being attached to the buffer tube.

Link Posted: 2/5/2005 2:46:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By exsanguinate:
...the bolt on the bottom end of the buffer tube. the nut is welded to the bolt  as to prevent a stock from being attached to the buffer tube.

Based on written interpretation by the BATF, you don't need that bolt... you just need to not attach a stock to the gun and you're good.  Ever think of one of them slip-cover neoprene thingy's to dress up your buffer tube?
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 2:48:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm thinking about grabbing one too... (the neoprene thingy)

-Jason
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 3:09:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By JOHN_E:
Picked up my new Bushmaster pistol today, think I need a flash hider!!
More pictures tomorrow if I get to the range.

Hey JOHN_E, you stole my avatar!

BTW, nice blaster!
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 7:38:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry, stole it from another site. Is this one in use here?
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By BadgerArms:
Based on written interpretation by the BATF, you don't need that bolt...

Are you referring to the letter that says "if you own a stock that fits the tube, it may be construed as a illegal short barreled rifle"?  Why does everybody miss that part of the letter?

We went through this ad nauseum on another thread.  There is sufficient case law on the subject to make me very nervous and the permanent bolt to prevent a stock from being attached is a small price to pay to avoid a 10 year/$250,000 penalty...

I would have used an sling stud, but hey, it works.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 10:04:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By Southern_Raider:

Originally Posted By BadgerArms:
Based on written interpretation by the BATF, you don't need that bolt...

Are you referring to the letter that says "if you own a stock that fits the tube, it may be construed as a illegal short barreled rifle"?  Why does everybody miss that part of the letter?

We went through this ad nauseum on another thread.  There is sufficient case law on the subject to make me very nervous and the permanent bolt to prevent a stock from being attached is a small price to pay to avoid a 10 year/$250,000 penalty...

I would have used an sling stud, but hey, it works.

But following that logic, it sounds to be just as illegal to merely OWN both an AR15 rifle and an AR15 pistol.  After all, in just a minute you COULD swap the uppers from one frame to another, right?  Gasp!  The horror of it all!!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I have to agree.  "Could" and "Did" are two totally different words in the eyes of the law.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 10:52:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Big-Bore] [#15]
ARGHHHHHH!

NOT THIS AGAIN.

Simple and to the point:  Thompson Center Contender Carbine ruling.  You can own the pistol with pistol barrel AND the stock IF you also own a rifle length barrel.  Just do not put the stock on with the pistol barrel.  It doesn't get any clearer.
The ONLY way you can get your tit in the wringer is to ONLY own the AR-15 pistol AND the butt stock.  In that case, they can be assembled in no other way other than as an illegal SBR.  Rifle upper, another AR-15 rilfe, you are in the clear.

People worry too much.  That ATFE is not out to make everyone's life a living hell.  Just follow the laws and quit reading between the lines too much.
 Do you own a rifle?  Do you own a hack saw?  OH MY GOD!  You have the makings for an ILLEGAL SBR!  
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Originally Posted By Big-Bore:
ARGHHHHHH!

NOT THIS AGAIN.

Simple and to the point:  Thompson Center Contender Carbine ruling.  You can own the pistol with pistol barrel AND the stock IF you also own a rifle length barrel.  Just do not put the stock on with the pistol barrel.  It doesn't get any clearer.
The ONLY way you can get your tit in the wringer is to ONLY own the AR-15 pistol AND the butt stock.  In that case, they can be assembled in no other way other than as an illegal SBR.  Rifle upper, another AR-15 rilfe, you are in the clear.

People worry too much.  That ATFE is not out to make everyone's life a living hell.  Just follow the laws and quit reading between the lines too much.
 Do you own a rifle?  Do you own a hack saw?  OH MY GOD!  You have the makings or an ILLEGAL SBR!  

Yup..... I agree.  AGNTSA.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Dont worry, no-one likes to read the entire thread to find answers....
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Is there anywhere else except Model1sales and CMMGinc that you can buy a 7.5" upper?
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By Luopo:
Is there anywhere else except Model1sales and CMMGinc that you can buy a 7.5" upper?

I do believe that Olympic Arms sells their upper assembly and you don't need a buffer tube either.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 11:43:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: exsanguinate] [#20]
i test fired my 11.5" ar pistol this evening. 60 rounds without a FTF!!! i was hip shooting and hit ting 8-10" objects at 25-35 yds.  the temp was less than 30 deg F so my chrony wasn't working.  this probably will not be my last ar pistol
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#21]
is there a verdict on the bushmaster revamp yet????
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 7:42:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Accomplice] [#23]
Just to keep some pics coming in this thread.  Its not really an AR pistol but it was a week or so ago before the SBR tax stamp came back.  Its a Bushmaster Carbon 15 Type 97S Pistol turned SBR.  Now it has a vertical grip, light mount, Surefire light, sling, Eotech 552 Revision F, HK style grip (swapped to Hogue after taking the pics) and sliding wire stock.  Here it is with the rest of my rifles (Krebs KTR-03V with Eotech, Vector V53, Norinco MAK90 Sporter).

Link Posted: 2/7/2005 10:10:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn, give us details on the vector HK clone, price, how it shoots, etc. Details man Details! looks nice too
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 10:25:48 PM EDT
[#25]
As absurd as it may sound, has anyone actually carried one of this as a CCW weapon?  What sight package would you pick?  I was thinking something short and compact would be best.  I really like my EO Tech on my rifle, but having to turn it on really defeats the quick response of a pistol.  Any other thoughts out there?

I just ordered my 7.5" pistol kit from M1S today.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 1:30:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By JaketheSnakeOO7:
Damn, give us details on the vector HK clone, price, how it shoots, etc. Details man Details! looks nice too

The HK clone shoots well.  It required a return trip to Vector for some tinkering but now its running 100%.  As far as price goes, I paid what dealers paid (bought 3 at that time) plus a transfer fee to my dealer.   I switched the focus of my collection and was going to sell all three but decided to keep this one.  I already sold off all of the cool accessories (sliding stocks, rail hand guards, vertical grips, rail covers, 25 & 30 rd. mags, SEF style lowers, etc.) I had for them though which sucks.
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#27]
tagged for later
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, my lowers finally arrived.  I ordered them from CMMG about a month ago, but they ran out of what they had been selling and were waiting on a shipment of their own CMMG-branded recievers.

I was not disappointed.  Their receivers are easily as nice as any of the Bushmasters that I have.  I'd not hesitate to buy more from them.

Carry on...

Tom
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#29]
gpt another brain teaser for y'all....

legality of a detach carry handle mounted at 6 o clock position on a quad railed handguard....
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 10:24:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 11:08:41 PM EDT
[#31]
The magazine makes one heck of a forward grip though!
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 12:17:53 AM EDT
[#32]
a) from arfkom:

If a gun has rifled barrel(s) of less than 16", and it has never had a shoulder stock it would be a pistol, unless it either has no grip at an angle to the bore, or if it has more than one grip. ATF has made the questionable decision that a handgun with more than one grip is an AOW. This is based on the gun a) being concealable on the person, and b) not meeting the definition of a "pistol" in the regulations promulgated under the NFA, since they say a pistol has a single grip at an angle to the bore. However, at least one federal court has decided that if the grip is added later, the gun is not "originally designed" to be fired by holding in more than one grip, and thus putting a second grip on a pistol does not make it an AOW. Whether ATF will regard the decision as binding beyond that case is unknown, I would doubt it.

also see here:www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/nfa_faq.txt

ATF has made the decision that a handgun (but not a machine gun,
since a machine gun is not also an AOW) with more than one hand
grip at an angle tot eh bore is an AOW.  This is based on the gun
a) being concealable on the person, and b) not meeting the
definition of a "pistol" in the regulations promulgated under the
NFA, since they say a pistol has a single grip at an angle to the
bore.  However, at least one federal magistrate has decided that if
the grip is added later, the gun is not "originally designed" to be
fired by holding in more than one grip, and thus putting a second
grip on a pistol does not make it an AOW.  ATF does not regard the
decision as binding. The case is U.S. v. Davis, Crim No. 8:93-106
(D.S.C. 1993) (Report of Magistrate, June 21, 1993).  The
prosecution was dismissed at the request of the Government before
any review of that determination by the trial judge.

ummm the carry handle mounted at 6 oclock would NOT be a grip at an angle to the bore.

I will be writing a letter to ATFuckers about this.......  heck, maybe I can just ask the NRA folks down the block!

While my 'play dumb' reason will be to store the carry handle while an optic is on flat top, even admitting to using the carry handle to keep my hand on the forearm is not admitting to any second grip........  

Now that the ban is over, there is no law against haveing the barrel shrouded, e.g. handguard, and there is no law that says you can't get a firm grip IN LINE with the bore.....!

Link Posted: 2/9/2005 2:55:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#34]
ACK... All I get is a red "X."
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#35]
red x
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#36]
If you get right down to brass tacks, the forward vertical grip and the decision the ATFE made saying the forward vertical grip is an AOW is in contradiction with their own definition of an AOW.  So, if you want to challenge the forward vertical grip in court you might win.  You might win with the carry handle secured on the forend too.  The thing is, what if you don't win?
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, you don't have to lose.  You only have to spend $200 bucks to first register the pistol as an AOW.  Then, wait for approval.  Once it's approved, install the grip and apply for a tax refund.  When you don't get it (duh) sue the gub'mnt.  This is the Thompson/Center model and it works... no legal risk, only monetary.
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By Big-Bore:
Do you own a rifle?  Do you own a hack saw?  OH MY GOD!  You have the makings for an ILLEGAL SBR!  

..................................Wait!  Oh, shit!!  Quick, somebdy buy my hacksaw!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#39]
but the carry handle is not a grip at an angle to the bore????  I don't see the contradition.....

Look at the steyr spp, it has a ledge in front and in back of the forward hand position to keep hand there, so what's wrong with connecting them?
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Now if I could find a 7 1/2 inch .458 or 7.62x39 upper, I would'nt woory so much about 5.56 ballistics. Any body know if they make one?
Link Posted: 2/10/2005 12:52:09 AM EDT
[#42]
anyone try the ace buffer tube yet?

AR pistol kit. Includes gusset, receiver extension tube, hardware and qiuck detach 1 1/4" sling  mount , foam over tube (you cut to length ). Extends 7" from the back edge of the receiver.

ARP MSRP.........$45.00
ARP with buffer and spring (not shown) ARP-BS MSRP.........$ 57.00

Link Posted: 2/10/2005 1:08:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JeffersonDarcy] [#43]

Originally Posted By chapperjoe:

oh crap thats the SMG from resident evil 4
Link Posted: 2/10/2005 2:17:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Alright, here's my newest toy.  Ameetec lower, M1S kit in 7.62x39 and stock tube.  It runs well except  one double feed in about 140 rounds and 4 light primer strikes (from bolt bounce?).  It's still WAY more reliable than the M16 I carried of into combat!  Anyway, it's just a play toy so I saw no need to go spend big bucks for the optics.  The more I shoot it, the less practical it seems- but I haven't had this much fun shooting since I got an M1 Carbine.  

http://www.streamload.com/NoExpire/ImageDeliver.asp?cxInstID=35483515&NodeID=190518526&AttemptHyper=True&SingleImageDelivery=True
Link Posted: 2/10/2005 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Here's the lastest incarnation of my 11.5" bbl AR pistol. Started out with a regular pistol buffer, then a tele stock buffer and a cheap red dot sight, now has a 2X pistol scope on it, a bipod and a laser/light gizmo. Pretty damn accurate at long range with the bipod and scope off the bench.
Link Posted: 2/10/2005 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#46]
and how the heck can you use a bipod on these?  SURELY a carry handle is fine then?
Link Posted: 2/10/2005 12:46:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Here's my 1st pistol build
I haven't seen anyone else do a quad rail on a pitol before - I say why not?

http://img125.exs.cx/img125/1261/megahose7va.th.jpg

http://http://img125.exs.cx/img125/1261/megahose7va.th.jpg" border=0>
Link Posted: 2/10/2005 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Tagged for reference.
Link Posted: 2/10/2005 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By monkeyman:

Boy, the people who have a problem with carbines using a bipod would shit a brick seeing this pistol with one.

Nice build, BTW.
Link Posted: 2/10/2005 1:23:06 PM EDT
[#50]

That's the gayest thing I've ever seen.  PLEASE SBR that thing and take that cluster of crap off the top of your otherwise cool looking gun.  Bipod?  What the heck are you thinking!?
Page / 20
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top