Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've read the horror stories too, which is why I'm on the fence on building it. I see Green Mountain has a 7.62x39 barrel but it's got a .750 gas block, is the gas hole going to be too small?
View Quote

Some builds benefit/need the following:

Slightly opened gas port
Shaved Bolt
Shaved Firing Pin shelf
Feed ramp mod (either opening the existing M4 feedramps or simply dremel it into one large feedramp)
Magazine trimming

Also I can't tell by your post if you know or not but the .750 measurement on the gas block is not the gas hole measurement, it's the diameter of the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I built one a couple of years ago, was 100% from the start. Factory and handloads.

I did do a lot of reading in this forum, be sure to read the sticky at the top of the page.

I used standard parts.  I did modify my firing pin and had to trim the front of the mags a little bit.

Cycle dummy rounds through build, that's how I found I needed to trim my mags.

I believe the current mags have addressed this flaw.

Good luck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've read the horror stories too, which is why I'm on the fence on building it. I see Green Mountain has a 7.62x39 barrel but it's got a .750 gas block, is the gas hole going to be too small?

I built one a couple of years ago, was 100% from the start. Factory and handloads.

I did do a lot of reading in this forum, be sure to read the sticky at the top of the page.

I used standard parts.  I did modify my firing pin and had to trim the front of the mags a little bit.

Cycle dummy rounds through build, that's how I found I needed to trim my mags.

I believe the current mags have addressed this flaw.

Good luck.

I've been reading a lot about it. Theres a lot of information.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:43:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I say do it!  I love mine and was the reason I sold my 300 BLK upper.  I still have a Remington bolt action in 300 BLK with 16" bbl for super quiet sub shooting but just was not real impressed with my suppressed 8" 300 BLK upper.  Sounded like a large framing air nail gun and did not have a real need to launch heavy subs fast but I do like the 300 BLK.  Most all my long guns serve a dual purpose as a range plinker/hunting and sometimes self defense.  Anyways, here is a pic of my 10.5" 7.62x39 that I run suppressed.  I have not got to put a ton of rounds through it yet but it has been 100% so far and shoots around 2" groups at 100 yards with Tulammo and is my short range hog hunting set up.  Notice, not even a free float rail.

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I am looking at these 10.5" 7.62x39mm uppers for $300.... heck, Radical Arms has em for $200.
I think I might have to throw one on my SBR lower and give it a try.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I have two ARs in 7.62x39, an Alpha Shooting Sport and a Palmetto State Armory AR47. I'd recommend either one. Mags have caused the majority of my failures in the past, started with ASCs years ago and had to mod them heavily to get them to run well, the new CPDs seem to work great unmodified in both rifles. An enhanced firing pin is a must and they're cheap, never had to run a heavier trigger spring in either setup.

For an 'enhanced' 7.62x39 bolt I've had no problems with my LMT, although I've never had a failure with the factory bolts in either rifle.

AR type platforms that run on AK mags like the RRA, Sig & CMMG are great options, but pricey. I couldn't buy any one of these rifles for what I have invested in both of my 7.62x39 ARs.

AKs are a great platform, I have a WASR-10 and a Draco pistol. But they're not ARs.  

I think the pros & cons of 7.62x39 vs .300BO have been beaten to death on this forum, they're both solid performers. Pick one.

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Go for it! I'm building one mainly because it'd be nice to have that round in an AR style platform. Plus it's easier to make it "compliantl" to these NY laws. As we speaking I'm ordering Red X barrel and bcg
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Since my 1911 build has been killed; thanks The People's Prison of New Jersistan and FBHO, I may just go ahead with the 7.62x39 build now. I mean I was going to do it anyway but I was going to kind of hold off for now.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 8:31:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Since my 1911 build has been killed; thanks The People's Prison of New Jersistan and FBHO, I may just go ahead with the 7.62x39 build now. I mean I was going to do it anyway but I was going to kind of hold off for now.
View Quote

We live in two of the shittiest states.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No doubt. I'm feeling pretty depressed that I can't finish this 1911 receiver. Its really nice, Stealth Arms makes a nice product. The rest of the free country can build 80% lowers and receivers get cans and build SBRs and pistol ARs and I'm stuck in prison barely allowed to own guns. Yeah, I can keep the 1911 receiver but its only good for a paperweight. Fuck NJ and NY.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 8:53:02 AM EDT
[#10]
My brother has a 10.5" 7.62x39 suppressed. Here is why we like it over 300 blackout:

Subsonic ammo (Can be reloaded with a Wolf case, I have a video on YouTube of subs working from a 10.5" carbine which has little dwell time)
8% more energy than 300 blackout  (both get 2200fps from a 10.5" barrel, 2400fps from a 16". Difference is 300BO is 115gn, x39 is 123gn. Velocities for 300BO from AAC, velocities from x39 are from me using Wolf)
Common ammo (SHTF proof)
Specialty ammo available at low prices (Soft points, Hollow Points)

Quick tips for a good build: (Strong bolt, CPD 28rd mags, adjustable gas block)

Aimsurplus and Casons have good bolts. You could swap bolts every 1k-2k rounds and still be saving way more money than 300 blackout.?
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I am iinterested in this as well.  I have the lower and upper, but searching for a proper barrel.  Not sure who to use that is set up correctly.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 10:27:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am iinterested in this as well.  I have the lower and upper, but searching for a proper barrel.  Not sure who to use that is set up correctly.
View Quote

I'm planning on going with Green Mountain, I've had good luck with their 5.56 barrels. Unless someone has a better suggestion.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I built mine using Anderson's 7.62x39 barrel ( http://www.andersonrifles.com/product/16-hbar-barrel-7-62-x-39/ ).  Barrier Defense Bolt ( http://www.barrierdefense.com/AR15-Complete-Bolt-Assembly-762x39-BA762.htm?categoryId=-1 ).  Barrier Defense Enhanced Reliability Firing Pin ( http://www.barrierdefense.com/762x39-Enhanced-Reliability-Firing-Pin-ERFP762.htm?categoryId=-1 ).  Used an Anderson upper, free float tube.  Added A2 flash hider, carbine gas tube, charging handle, CL bolt carrier, low profile gas block, etc..  Slapped it on a Mag Tactical lower I had already.  Ragged hole at 50 yds., with Winchester white box 123gr FMJ's.  Took a buck with it last month using Prvi Partizan PSP 123gr PSP.  I did have a few FTF with them (Privi) though, Winchester was not a problem.  I am going to try some Fiocchi I bought, some Tula to see how it does on steel case (I reload, but want to see how it works just to make sure), and some American Eagle.  I'll let you know how they work if you want. I think I got the FTF figured out now.  Seems like a keeper to me.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I built mine using Anderson's 7.62x39 barrel ( http://www.andersonrifles.com/product/16-hbar-barrel-7-62-x-39/ ).  Barrier Defense Bolt ( http://www.barrierdefense.com/AR15-Complete-Bolt-Assembly-762x39-BA762.htm?categoryId=-1 ).  Barrier Defense Enhanced Reliability Firing Pin ( http://www.barrierdefense.com/762x39-Enhanced-Reliability-Firing-Pin-ERFP762.htm?categoryId=-1 ).  Used an Anderson upper, free float tube.  Added A2 flash hider, carbine gas tube, charging handle, CL bolt carrier, low profile gas block, etc..  Slapped it on a Mag Tactical lower I had already.  Ragged hole at 50 yds., with Winchester white box 123gr FMJ's.  Took a buck with it last month using Prvi Partizan PSP 123gr PSP.  I did have a few FTF with them (Privi) though, Winchester was not a problem.  I am going to try some Fiocchi I bought, some Tula to see how it does on steel case (I reload, but want to see how it works just to make sure), and some American Eagle.  I'll let you know how they work if you want. I think I got the FTF figured out now.  Seems like a keeper to me.
View Quote

Please let me know how they work. Also, thanks for the links. I'll be checking them all out.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 11:11:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Faxon makes a middy gas barrel. I'm kinda eyeing one of those
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Dumb question, takes a normal charging handle right?
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Dumb question, takes a normal charging handle right?
View Quote

Everything is the same except for the bike and the barrel and mags.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#18]
For me the 7.62x39 was an easy choice over the 300BK.  I use mine for hunting (primary) and this next year I'll run it in 3-gun (just to be different, not to win).  With the 125gr Nosler BT it is a tack driver with under 1" 100yds groups common.  Cases are cheap, I can get brass case boxer primed LOADED S&B  at the gun shows for $10.00 a box.  I can get TULA for $5.00 for 20 when I want to hunt jackrabbits or just plink.  My bbl has a .308 bore so I can (and have) loaded up everything from 100 gr Plinkers to 155 Nosler Custom Comp bullets.  I didn't think the 300 gave me any advantage except for a shared magazine capability.  I keep everything separate anyway so no big deal.  Except when using TULA I'd never had a misfire of miss-feed.  Now that I have the Wolf High Power Trigger Spring that is not a problem either.  I don't run a silenced gun so a 300BK made no sense for me.

Bill in OR
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 9:45:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Hate to hijack but how many have built with an adjustable gas block?
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I built 2, no adjustable gas block on either.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 11:18:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I DID mention subsonic (suppressed). Perhaps you can't read? And YES, the 300 was designed for an 8.5" barrel suppressed (to keep it reasonable length with suppressor attached), as I've said. And NO, the 300 BO has no advantage over the x39 from a 16+" barrel. Do your research.
I'm not a 300BO hater, I just know the facts/ballistics and know that unless you are running a VERY short barrel, or suppressed, there is no advantage. Sorry to burst your 300 bubble.
Perhaps you should research more before YOU chime in next time. If you care to link why the 300 excels from a 16" barrel... please do so.
ETA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_AAC_Blackout_(7.62%C3%9735mm)
BTW, I'm not your average JOE. I could reload 300 for similar cost to x39, but that wouldn't account for my time/labor. You can buy combloc x39 for the same and saver yourself the time/labor.
That being said... if ever a time came when import x39 was no longer available... the situation may change.
View Quote

If someone wants to build a x39 upper, I say go for it.  Build it for fun, build it for hunting, build it because: Murica', whatever.  That being said, your opinion on 300 BLK is formed with incorrect data.  At the muzzle of 16" rifles, the x39 does in fact have more muzzle velocity and energy, and it stays that way out to about 120 yards at which point the superior BC's of 300 BLK projectiles start to come into play.

Below is an exert from HERE, you should read it, if just for kicks and to get your data squared away.

More Down Range Energy than 7.62x39
•  Lapua 123 grain 7.62x39mm - 712 Joules at 300 meters (0.280 BC, 16.5 inch barrel).
•  UMC 115 grain 300 AAC Blackout - 777 Joules at 300 meters (0.300 BC, 16.0 inch barrel, 2295 fps muzzle velocity).
•  Advantage – 300 BLK by 9.1%, even with slightly shorter barrel.
•  Match 125 grain 300 BLK- 829 Joules at 300 meters (0.320 BC*, 16.0
inch barrel, 2220 fps muzzle velocity).
•  Advantage – 300 BLK by 16.4%, even with slightly shorter barrel.

300 BLK will never be an inexpensive plinking cartridge, ever.  People make the mistake of thinking every caliber that fits into an AR platform should be as cheap, or cheaper, than 223 for plinking or it's somehow useless.   Every caliber has it's pro's and con's, based on what it was designed to do.   There are lot's of pro's to 300 BLK, but cost effective plinking is not one of them.   So, If cheap centerfire rifle shooting is what someone is after, the x39 is certainly a great way to do it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 11:33:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I built 2, no adjustable gas block on either.
View Quote

Ok, thanks!
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:54:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Sitting here getting ready to order some parts. Does anyone know if the Anderson HBAR barrel is chrome lined?

Also, is the Adams Arms piston kit still GTG? Before anyone says anything all my other rifles are DI and I wanted to try something different with the gas system.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#24]
CMMG in 7.62x39 Mutant, pricey but worth it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:20:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Bought an used upper off EE - Delta Team Tactical. It came with a bolt and enhanced firing pin but no BCG. Any suggestions? Figured I'd keep asking here since we are all building one or have built one.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 9:55:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
CMMG in 7.62x39 Mutant, pricey but worth it.
View Quote

For the price you can build 2 ARs in 7.62x39mm and they will run just as good (if not better).
I love CMMG and they are right up the road from where I live but, come on.... prices now days; one can build for that.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 9:59:53 AM EDT
[#27]
I ordered the Adams Arms Piston kit and a cam pin, firing pin retainer and an enhanced 7.62x39 firing pin.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#28]
It was not hard for me to chose the 7.62x30 over the .300.  If you do not shoot suppressed then there is little to no advantage.  Mine (7.62x39) has a .308 bore so my bullet selection is the same as the .300 for my reloads, cheap plinking ammo is available almost everywhere it is VERY inexpensive to run.  I use mine for hunting deer size game and below, more inexpensive shooting equals more accuracy in the field = more meat in the freezer. Now that most of the bugs shooting a 7.62x39 in an AR platform have been mastered it is a very appealing variant.  Plus...if the SHTF having a readily available is a BIG plus.

Bill in OR
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I don't really understand why everyone is blowing their load over the 300blk vs x39 argument. You can build an x39 upper for cheap and have lots of fun with cheap ammo. That's the whole point to it. Then it just so happens that after building mine not only has it been super reliable, but it has been astoundingly accurate, so much so that I'm gonna change scopes on the rifle so I can do up some 500 yard range action.

Sure, steel case 556 is as cheap as x39 now. Sure, 300blk has more bullet options. Whatever. The x39 is cheap and versatile, and there are good loads available for it (Hornady) and cheap hunting ammo is also available. Not only that, but x39 ammo is much more available worldwide. Everyone who says "well you should just buy an AK" has obviously never shot one of these x39 ARs.
View Quote

Agree also those saying the 300 is more versatile are wrong if shooting suppressed isn't a option or desire.  The 7.62x39 can handle more bullet weights supersonic than the 300.  300 can't push one 150's fast enough to get them to open reliably even at 50 yards the x39 can push a 150 grain to 2100-2200 fps which gives you a good hog and deer load with more bullet weight those bullets will open up nice out to 150 yards.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It was not hard for me to chose the 7.62x30 over the .300.  If you do not shoot suppressed then there is little to no advantage.  Mine (7.62x39) has a .308 bore so my bullet selection is the same as the .300 for my reloads, cheap plinking ammo is available almost everywhere it is VERY inexpensive to run.  I use mine for hunting deer size game and below, more inexpensive shooting equals more accuracy in the field = more meat in the freezer. Now that most of the bugs shooting a 7.62x39 in an AR platform have been mastered it is a very appealing variant.  Plus...if the SHTF having a readily available is a BIG plus.

Bill in OR
View Quote

Even a 310 bore will shoot most 308 bullets very accurately.

Link Posted: 12/17/2015 8:32:12 AM EDT
[#31]
AR15 Performance Brake

Does anyone have any experience with the AR15 Performance brakes? I know their barrels are good to go. I'm curious about the brake in the link I posted. I want something same diameter as the barrel for this build because i live in a retarded ban state and I'm putting a piston kit on the rifle and just in case i change my mind on the piston I'd rather not cut the gas block to get it off or cut the brake off.

Link Posted: 12/17/2015 10:28:58 AM EDT
[#32]
I've built  a couple and they all  ran great. The green Mountain barrel someone referenced further up is an awsome barrel and good for a light build. The pic I'm going to post is the latest one I built, it has a GMT barrel , Cason bolt and I run  c products  magazine 's. Mainly 10 and 30 round models. They run perfectly. This gun had thousands of rounds on it with less failures than most 5.56 models.

Link Posted: 12/17/2015 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Those groups were made with cheap steel cased Russian ammo at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#34]
what piston are you going with and I love my syrac ordnance piston kit for my 10.5 inch 7.62x39 ar its sweet and I have a left side charging handle it is like the ak done the right way haha I am running a SD tactical brake because I will be building a form one suppressor are u planning to do this? if not they also have a tube cut to make it a removable forward muzzle blast deflector you should look it up give u the flaming pig and a muzzle break for cheaper then the flaming pig
http://www.sdtacticalarms.com/SDTA-Flashider_p_84.html   this is ok
but I went with this

http://www.sdtacticalarms.com/SDTA-Muzzle-Break_p_65.html
love it controls the recoil like its a 5.56
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#35]
just read u need a pinned break im sorry
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
what piston are you going with and I love my syrac ordnance piston kit for my 10.5 inch 7.62x39 ar its sweet and I have a left side charging handle it is like the ak done the right way haha I am running a SD tactical brake because I will be building a form one suppressor are u planning to do this? if not they also have a tube cut to make it a removable forward muzzle blast deflector you should look it up give u the flaming pig and a muzzle break for cheaper then the flaming pig
http://www.sdtacticalarms.com/SDTA-Flashider_p_84.html   this is ok
but I went with this

http://www.sdtacticalarms.com/SDTA-Muzzle-Break_p_65.html
love it controls the recoil like its a 5.56
View Quote

Adams Arms piston kit.

I live in a ban state so no suppressor (as much as I'd love one), no threaded barrels and no threaded brakes, no flash hiders, no bayonet lugs and no bayonets. Hell in this state I'm lucky I'm even allowed to own a gun.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#37]
sounds good man well the piston will defiantly keep it cleaner I love mine just have to clean the chamber and oil lightly such a clean system sorry bout your state though
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 7:15:42 AM EDT
[#38]
What's everyone running for brakes or compensators?
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 8:09:38 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm using PWS FSC30 on my 2 builds. Awesome, VERY LOUD but effective brake.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm using PWS FSC30 on my 2 builds. Awesome, VERY LOUD but effective brake.
View Quote

That's nice! I was looking at Lantec Dragon but it's fairly pricey
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#41]
check out the SD tactical muzzle break and flash hider plus give u the option to have the removable flash can like the flame pig or what ever it is called but cheaper I love the muzzle break its in the link above
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 10:18:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
check out the SD tactical muzzle break and flash hider plus give u the option to have the removable flash can like the flame pig or what ever it is called but cheaper I love the muzzle break its in the link above
View Quote

I was looking at the Dissipator Brake from Damage Industries, it too has a sleeve that goes over it but I'm doubtful it'd be "legal" in  retarded NJ.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 11:55:57 AM EDT
[#43]
This should be the "main" 7.62x39 AR thread...what optics are you guys running?

I want a red dot I think - I have no idea the name of it except I've seen it frequently around here. Its fairly tiny and sits pretty tall up.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I want a red dot I think - I have no idea the name of it except I've seen it frequently around here. Its fairly tiny and sits pretty tall up.
View Quote

Are you talking about the Bushnell TRS-25?
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 11:53:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had to google it but yep!
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#46]
the bushnell is a great red dot for the price is you are looking for a little more rugged try the primary arms 50,000 hrs battery life with a 3 yr warranty and water proof and freeze and shock proof pretty great sight about 169 bucks which is steep but is a great optic
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Ordered the bolt carrier today but over the weekend I finished assembling two lowers and one upper. Hoping to hit the range next weekend if the bot carrier gets here. Plus I decided to mount my eotech on it for now so I can at least shoot it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 8:44:55 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm looking at 7.62x39 bolts and I'm seeing that they are all 8620 Steel. I'm pretty sure my 6.8 bolt and both of my 5.56 bolts are 9310. Should I be concerned by this or not so much?
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm looking at 7.62x39 bolts and I'm seeing that they are all 8620 Steel. I'm pretty sure my 6.8 bolt and both of my 5.56 bolts are 9310. Should I be concerned by this or not so much?
View Quote

Do yourself a favor and spend the couple of extra bucks on the Cason or the LMT. They will last far longer then anything else out there. Will make the gun run better with fewer complications and are easier to clean up. Neither of those will be made out of 8620 and they are far superior to anything else out there.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Do yourself a favor and spend the couple of extra bucks on the Cason or the LMT. They will last far longer then anything else out there. Will make the gun run better with fewer complications and are easier to clean up. Neither of those will be made out of 8620 and they are far superior to anything else out there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. That's why I didn't order it because I was didn't want an 8620 bolt. Like I said I think all my other ones are either 9310 or 158. Google was turning up nothing on either 9310 or 158 bolts.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top