AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:46:11 PM EDT
[#1]
tagaroonie.....
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:41:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting review and initial demo of the Grendel with Wolf Steel Case.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:49:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/pzfBCZ_EvoE
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:10:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/pzfBCZ_EvoE
View Quote

Wow,  that seemed full of derp to me.  'It's between a 556 and 7.62x39........yeah,  kinda reminds me of a ak 74.'

Really?   These are the cats that get their hands on it first.. ..unbelievable.

I love the Grendel round and enjoy my rifles chambered for it.   Can't wait to try some steel case in my CL gun, but that review was a waste of time and resources.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:35:23 PM EDT
[#5]
A little off-topic, but Somebody takes their "Cartridge Wars" or petty industry grudges a little too seriously.

On the eve of the introduction of Wolf steel-case, tech support at my site host says www.65grendel.com is currently down under a massive spam attack.

Am live-chatting with host tech support as I type this. . . .
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:42:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A little off-topic, but Somebody takes their "Cartridge Wars" or petty industry grudges a little too seriously.

On the eve of the introduction of Wolf steel-case, tech support at my site host says www.65grendel.com is currently down under a massive spam attack.

View Quote

Been trying to get on there all day.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:47:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's typical of the "me" generation.  It's really disappointing to see adults older than me engaged in it, especially ones in the firearms industry.  Sad to see the downward slope of this Great Nation.

I just spent 7 weeks up at the highest elevation Boy Scout Camp in the US.

Fat-gutted Scout Masters who can't seem to understand that the Uniform is part of the Scouting method, Boy Scouts throwing trash all over the place that remains almost untouched by human hands, staff members who are Eagle Scouts acting like toddlers with a trail of litter in their low testosterone wakes.  These guys are supposed to be the solution, not the problems.

Then take a peek at any firearms related forum and prepare for some of the most adolescent behavior imaginable.  The Grendel Forum is one place where that isn't the norm.  AR15.com has actually worked hard to clean a lot of that crap up, but it must be a massive undertaking with such a huge membership.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 12:17:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nooooooooooooooo!!! Not again.  Hadn't gone there in awhile to research some reloading info.......dammit
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 12:24:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's typical of the "me" generation.  It's really disappointing to see adults older than me engaged in it, especially ones in the firearms industry.  Sad to see the downward slope of this Great Nation.

Fat-gutted Scout Masters who can't seem to understand that the Uniform is part of the Scouting method, Boy Scouts throwing trash all over the place that remains almost untouched by human hands, staff members who are Eagle Scouts acting like toddlers with a trail of litter in their low testosterone wakes.  These guys are supposed to be the solution, not the problems.

Then take a peek at any firearms related forum and prepare for some of the most adolescent behavior imaginable.  The Grendel Forum is one place where that isn't the norm.  AR15.com has actually worked hard to clean a lot of that crap up, but it must be a massive undertaking with such a huge membership.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well said Sir.  It's ridiculous.

The crap with attacking the Grendel board is assinine.  It's insane how petty people can be.

Thanks for the vid too.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:23:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Site back up. For the most part. Carry on.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't know if this is already in the thread, but Bill Alexander announced pricing for the Wolf steel case would initially be $7.99/20. I have no idea if that is MSRP, MAP, or street pricing.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Where are the attacks coming from ?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm betting it's those 6.8 guys...they've always been jealous of the Grendel's performance!
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm betting it's those 6.8 guys...they've always been jealous of the Grendel's performance!
View Quote

lol no. Not us. We didn't get hit this time, but about a year ago or so, our site and yours was hit at the same time. We were down for several days. Seems like it was a Chinese DDS thing.

One other time recently we got hit with major spam. Some bot was just posting page after page of a sort of dirty Chinese romance novel. Funny thing, is it was in the worst sort of mistranslated Chinglish / Engrish, and the love making parts were hilariously inappropriately worded.

Every few paragraphs would be interrupted with sales ads for ladies shoes.

Weird, really Twilight Zone type stuff.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:48:49 PM EDT
[#15]
We got the same lady's shoes/boots ads as well, but from all over Eastern Europe, Asia, and Africa.

We should SUBROC a Chinese deep sea port every time one of those attacks hits.

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 12:11:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We got the same lady's shoes/boots ads as well, but from all over Eastern Europe, Asia, and Africa.

We should SUBROC a Chinese deep sea port every time one of those attacks hits.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/images/subroc3.jpg
View Quote

Agreed. My fat .277 stubbies can't get that far. How much elevation you got on your mount, scope turrets ?
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:58:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Semi-patiently watching the Grendel forum thread and AA's website.  Looking to spend some money here...
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:18:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Seems odd to still be waiting this long after the "It's finally arrived" thread was posted...*sigh*
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:22:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Seems odd to still be waiting this long after the "It's finally arrived" thread was posted...*sigh*
View Quote

Such is the unending saga of steel 6.5 Grendel ammo.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:06:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Meh.  Used to be a Cubs fan.  Used to waiting forever for success.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:14:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Heh heh.  I was an original Shrike depositer....

I guess I'm a born masochist.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:09:54 PM EDT
[#22]
OMG!  

I have an invoice for an actual case of Wolf steel case Grendel fodder.

Signs and portents...
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Wolf steel-case 6.5 Grendel now available for purchase from Alexander Arms.

$180/case of 500 before taxes and shipping.

36¢ a round.

Let the blasting begin!
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
OMG!  

I have an invoice for an actual case of Wolf steel case Grendel fodder.

Signs and portents...
View Quote

Same here!
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:04:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I got mine...
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:38:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I got mine...
View Quote

Got some on the way
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:42:50 AM EDT
[#27]
I would expect prices to drop as production increases over the next couple of months.
This initial lot will likely sell out very fast as collector items.....

I am very glad to see people finally able to order this ammo.
As you all know it was a very long time in coming......but
certain people in the industry stayed on it, went to Russia, jumped up and down
a bit.....and finally we can order it.

Hats off to everyone at Wolf!

I suggest to everyone buying some of this initial lot to set a box or two aside
as a collector's item...
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:07:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I would expect prices to drop as production increases over the next couple of months.
This initial lot will likely sell out very fast as collector items.....

I am very glad to see people finally able to order this ammo.
As you all know it was a very long time in coming......but
certain people in the industry stayed on it, went to Russia, jumped up and down
a bit.....and finally we can order it.

Hats off to everyone at Wolf!

I suggest to everyone buying some of this initial lot to set a box or two aside
as a collector's item...
View Quote

Well said Dave.  And thanks for staying behind it too.  You helped in your own way as well.

My hat is off to all of you!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:29:03 AM EDT
[#29]
This is awesome.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I would expect prices to drop as production increases over the next couple of months. This initial lot will likely sell out very fast as collector items.....

I suggest to everyone buying some of this initial lot to set a box or two aside as a collector's item...
View Quote

Well, I can certainly see it becoming a collector's item if no more is imported, but if following shipments are identical to the current batch, why would there be a collector premium?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:17:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Well, I can certainly see it becoming a collector's item if no more is imported, but if following shipments are identical to the current batch, why would there be a collector premium?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would expect prices to drop as production increases over the next couple of months. This initial lot will likely sell out very fast as collector items.....

I suggest to everyone buying some of this initial lot to set a box or two aside as a collector's item...

because they are from the very first production run and the boxes will have the initial lot number on them.....
its the same for military ammunition. A 7.92x33K from the first small production run would be worth
more in its original box with the original lot number than a box made in the 1960s in East Germany.

most people will run out and blast it off.......

five years or 10 years or 20 years from now collectors will be interested in it.......its the same for anything....
I bet very little from this first lot survives very long.

Bill Alexander should sign 25 or so boxes and stuff them away

I have some of the preproduction steel case ammo, is it collectible?
To some no, to others.........yes.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#32]
As soon as I can sell a kidney or something I'm gonna order a case! I can't wait to try some out
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

because they are from the very first production run and the boxes will have the initial lot number on them.....
its the same for military ammunition. A 7.92x33K from the first small production run would be worth more in its original box with the original lot number than a box made in the 1960s in East Germany.

five years or 10 years or 20 years from now collectors will be interested in it.......its the same for anything....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

its the same for military ammunition. A 7.92x33K from the first small production run would be worth more in its original box with the original lot number than a box made in the 1960s in East Germany.

Some things, yes. Some things, no. But it ain't the same for everything.

Back around 1985, an acquaintance had a few boxes of 7x49 Liviano, all with the factory seals intact. It had then been out of production for 30 years, but had so little collector value that he gave me two boxes just to free up the storage space.

It's now been 10 years since 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel ammo entered production. How much demand is there on the collector market for first lot production of either caliber? And at what premium, if any?

There's nothing special about this steel case ammo. It's a quite ordinary, commercial loading that can be expected to have a long production run.

In 50-100 years a box from the first lot of Wolf ammo may be worth 30 or 40 bucks, but how many of us will even be alive by then?

Understand, I'm not saying people shouldn't put away a box or two, if anyone is so inclined. Just that the likelihood of getting rich from their future sale is so small that it probably isn't worthwhile to abstain from blasting it off while it's still legal to do so.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Back around 1985, an acquaintance had a few boxes of 7x49 Liviano, all with the factory seals intact. It had then been out of production for 30 years, but had so little collector value that he gave me two boxes just to free up the storage space.

It's now been 10 years since 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel ammo entered production. How much demand is there on the collector market for first lot production of either caliber? And at what premium, if any?

There's nothing special about this steel case ammo. It's a quite ordinary, commercial loading that can be expected to have a long production run.

In 50-100 years a box from the first lot of Wolf ammo may be worth 30 or 40 bucks, but how many of us will even be alive by then?

Understand, I'm not saying people shouldn't put away a box or two, if anyone is so inclined. Just that the likelihood of getting rich from their future sale is so small that it probably isn't worthwhile to abstain from blasting it off while it's still legal to do so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't have given your friend anything for 7x49mm either.......who collects stuff from South America?

I said collectable not that you'd get rich on it.
I think while the materials in the cartridge itself are quite ordinary the introduction of a
commercial cartridge by a Russian Arsenal specifically for the US market, and the effect
it will have on the US commercial market is bigger then you realize.
The success of this load will demonstrate that the Russian ammo manufacturers now have the ability
to heavily influence the US commercial market. Beyond what they even realize at the moment.

And if Russian ammo gets banned tomorrow.......well this lot will certainly be very collectable!
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I wouldn't have given your friend anything for 7x49mm either.......who collects stuff from South America?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Collectors of military cartridges. And it was made in Belgium, not South America. Anyway, the point is it was an uncommon cartridge that had been long out of production. The Wolf 6.5 steel case is (presumably) still in production, and the caliber itself is by far much more common than 7x49 was in 1985.

Even if you wish to dismiss 7mm Liviano as not worth collecting, that still doesn't mean run-of-the-mill, commercial 6.5 Grendel ammo is going to have significant collector value in our lifetime. Like I said, it's now been 10 years since 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel ammo entered production, and how much demand is there on the collector market for first lot production of standard loadings in either caliber?
I think while the materials in the cartridge itself are quite ordinary the introduction of a commercial cartridge by a Russian Arsenal specifically for the US market, and the effect it will have on the US commercial market is bigger then you realize.
The success of this load will demonstrate that the Russian ammo manufacturers now have the ability to heavily influence the US commercial market. Beyond what they even realize at the moment.

Shouldn't that have already been demonstrated far better by Russian-made 5.56x45, 7.62x39, 7.62x51, etc? The 6.5 Grendel ammo market share is but a tiny fraction of the other calibers. I think you greatly overestimate the importance of this one small addition to the market.

Plus, I wasn't referring to the materials in the cartridge being ordinary, but rather that there is nothing remarkable about the loading. It's a plain ol' FMJ round, not AP or tracer or something unusual. If you're concerned about value to cartridge collectors, one or two rounds of Alexander Arms' AP load may be worth more than a whole box of Wolf steel case ammo.
And if Russian ammo gets banned tomorrow.......well this lot will certainly be very collectable!

And IMO, an import ban is about the only thing that will make it collectible.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

The day it's no longer legal to do so, is the day it should be used the most.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heh heh. If that day ever comes, I doubt that even Fortier will be concerned about the value to cartridge collectors.

P.S. For some reason, I find your avatar rather unnerving. How about using one that's more chic and less menacing?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Heh heh. If that day ever comes, I doubt that even Fortier will be concerned about the value to cartridge collectors.

P.S. For some reason, I find your avatar rather unnerving. How about using one that's more chic and less menacing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's Jayne and Kaylee.  My two best dogs to ever grace this 'verse.  Jayne is passed on now, but Kaylee is still menacing all comers to this day.

To keep it on topic, she'll need an LBE to fetch me more Wolf steel case ammo.LOL

P.S.-- Since you're a team member, you're supposed to have an avatar too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:39:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That's Jayne and Kaylee.  My two best dogs to ever grace this 'verse.  Jayne is passed on now, but Kaylee is still menacing all comers to this day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I presume Jayne was a male?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:16:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I presume Jayne was a male?
View Quote

Yep.  All 125-135lbs of him.  He was a "superior" size Dobe with a lot of Serb blood.  Came from a proud line of military people eater dogs.  Fast and toothy.  He only tried to take over the ship once.  I had to use the chain of command to show him who was in rutting charge around here.  Fine crew member ever after that.

If I could afford it, I'd have built him his own statue like in Jaynestown.LOL

Ode to my finest friend.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#41]
anybody actually fired any of this stuff as of yet?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Come payday I'm gonna get me a case. I just ordered a Sabre Defense 14.5" barrel for the sole purpose of shooting the 6.5G steel cased ammo.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:41:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:00:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?1181-Wolf-Steel-Case&p=98555&viewfull=1#post98555

It shot great as far as I can tell.  I put six 25 round mags through my 10.5" shorty on auto to check cycling and to also try the new E-Lander mags.  It ran just fine.

Here's a vid of the first mag I fired.  http://s307.photobucket.com/user/Variable556/media/a8ad2c2ca8fe18d207d2bf6486a709be_zpsa6be0d9d.mp4.html

I have no idea how to embed it or post any better.  If anyone else knows how--- feel free to fix my lame attempt.LOL

I'll check velocity, accuracy, and all that other stuff later.  I don't have time right now, and just wanted to make sure it'd actually run.

So....  YES.  It's real, it's actually here, and so far it'll cycle full auto in my suppressed 10.5" just fine.

Now----  I want much more of it than just one 500 round case of course.  For that I'll have to wait.

Major kudos to Mr. Alexander for making this happen!!!  Thanks Bill!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yep.  http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?1181-Wolf-Steel-Case&p=98555&viewfull=1#post98555

It shot great as far as I can tell.  I put six 25 round mags through my 10.5" shorty on auto to check cycling and to also try the new E-Lander mags.  It ran just fine.

Here's a vid of the first mag I fired.  http://s307.photobucket.com/user/Variable556/media/a8ad2c2ca8fe18d207d2bf6486a709be_zpsa6be0d9d.mp4.html

I have no idea how to embed it or post any better.  If anyone else knows how--- feel free to fix my lame attempt.LOL

I'll check velocity, accuracy, and all that other stuff later.  I don't have time right now, and just wanted to make sure it'd actually run.

So....  YES.  It's real, it's actually here, and so far it'll cycle full auto in my suppressed 10.5" just fine.

Now----  I want much more of it than just one 500 round case of course.  For that I'll have to wait.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have a full auto lower? Hi, I'm Brandi, can I be your friend? . LOL
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Imagine that.........its real..........and it even runs full auto........suppressed........how cool is that........

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:41:49 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sure.LOL   And it's even better than a registered lower (for my purposes).  I have a registered sear, so I can flog the living crap out of whatever I want, then drop it's abused carcass and move my sear on to another one.

Quoted:
Imagine that.........its real..........and it even runs full auto........suppressed........how cool is that........

Yeah, you were just imagining things.LOL  Seems like your imagination actually manifested itself as truth though hunh?

Thanks for all the good info over the years Dave, you've been a great help.  

Now I neeed more steel case!!!  
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Sure.LOL   And it's even better than a registered lower (for my purposes).  I have a registered sear, so I can flog the living crap out of whatever I want, then drop it's abused carcass and move my sear on to another one.

Yeah, you were just imagining things.LOL  Seems like your imagination actually manifested itself as truth though hunh?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a registered sear! That is the ultimate coolness, and you're my friend now! How cool . LOL
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Got my UPS tracking number from AA today.  Gonna run some steel case through my Grendel on Tuesday.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Must .....scrounge.....up.....money.....SOON
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top