Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/14/2014 5:23:36 PM EDT
I want a new trigger for my AR. From what I've read, it seems like Geissele is the best.

Now the trouble is - which trigger?

I have a Colt LE6920 (67k serial number range) with the stock trigger, which is awful.

I've been looking at the SSA and the SSA-E, and I can see the differences in the numbers on the trigger weight, but practically, it's kinda hard to see the differences.

This is my only AR at the moment, so it's a general purpose rifle. Home defense primarily, plinking, etc. I have an Aimpoint PRO on it, that is going to be zeroed at either 25 or 50 yards (it's currently crudely zeroed at about 35), if that helps you a little more with my use case.

Thoughts? Price doesn't really make a difference to me in this case.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#1]
SSA
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#2]
G2S, because it (should) feel the same as a SSA for about $30 less.

If your focus was target shooting at 200+yds then I would recommend the SSA-E.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both and think either works great.

For your use, I would choose the SSA or G2S.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I picked up a couple of the G2S triggers recently for just over a hundred bucks apiece from AIM. Tried one out this weekend. Pretty nice trigger, but not nearly as crisp as the SSAE I got from Trading Place Pawn a few months back for I think $189.00 delivered using a "10off" coupon code and free shipping on anything over $100.00. I don't know the difference between the SSA and the SSAE but the SSAE I got is a pretty damn amazing. Wouldn't hesitate to get another for my favorite range guns. The G2S will probably end up in most of my other AR's as cheap as they are.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#5]
With an RDS and being a general purpose/HD rifle, I'd go with an SSA.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd go for the cheaper G2S version for around $100.  I put one in my scoped bench gun and think it's still a little too heavy for that, but would be perfect for what you're describing.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:07:25 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 for the SSA. Shit changed my life
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#8]
SDC, but i prefer the flat bows.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I have an SSA and dont think its a dramatic enough improvement to justify the $175 cost. I found it a bit underwhelming. in fact my Eagle Arms stock OEM trigger group with JP springs is a much nicer trigger.

If i get another G trigger it will be something other than the SSA
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:39:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an SSA and dont think its a dramatic enough improvement to justify the $175 cost. I found it a bit underwhelming. in fact my Eagle Arms stock OEM trigger group with JP springs is a much nicer trigger.

View Quote

I'm not doubting your experience but I think that is the first time I've ever heard that
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
Something must be wrong with your trigger.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#12]
For home defense and general shooting and plinking I'd get the ALG ACT. I e got two on my 6920s and love them. I have a SSA-E on another rifle for longer range work.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I love the G2S. Just bought another one from Brownells.  Free shipping code + 7% off special and it was like $160 shipped.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I have 4 SSA-E and 1 SSA. I prefer the E
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't forget to check your trigger/hammer pin size( 67K) 2008 & older had .169 pins 2009 & up have .154 pins.
With an RDS I would go with the SSA or S3G.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I own SD3Gs and its the best trigger I've ever used. I do like my ALG defense triggers for the money though.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Do you want a single stage or a 2 stage?  I run the 2 stage G2S I picked up for $110.00. I think it's the same trigger as the SSA without the laser engraving and extra QC. Many of my plinking AR's run the single stage ALG ACT. I love them and picked them up from Primary Arms for $49.-$50 normally $65.00
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#18]
What you want to do with the rifle drives what trigger is best for your rifle.  From the way you describe it, you sort of need a "do everything" trigger that's safe for home defense but not horrible like a stock trigger.  Sure, the Super Semi-Auto is a great trigger, but I wouldn't call it a "do everything" trigger.  In fact, I'd go completely counter to everyone else's recommendations and suggest an ALG ACT trigger.  (ALG is a company set up by Geissele's wife, by the way, so it's a Geissele trigger, but different.)  The ACT is essentially a stock-type trigger that is smooth, yet it has a minimum pull weight of 5.5 pounds which makes it a great "duty" trigger - and much safer for home defense than something with a 3 pound pull.

If you just have to have a 2-stage trigger, then get the G2S.  It's supposed to feel just like the SSA, but it's less expensive, has a 4.5 pound (total) pull weight, and Geissele recommends it for home defense applications.  We're talking about a price difference between the ALG ACT and the G2S of about $100, where the difference between the G2s and the SSA is more like $30.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#19]
B-G2S-E from brownells
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:31:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have 4 SSA-E and 1 SSA. I prefer the E
View Quote

I'm in the same boat.

Once I got one SSA-E....that's all I bought.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:42:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You think so? I dont know as I only have one SSA. I can only compare it to other brands and models. I've used Accuracy Speaks, CMC, Colt's match single stage, RRA 2-stage, Bill Springfield, ALG and several "milspec triggers" from Bushmaster, DPMS, Colt, RRA, Oly and others.

Maybe I was expecting too much but my friends RRA 2-stage actually feels better than my SSA two stage. its not bad. its just not $175 good when the RRA is about $95
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:58:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm not doubting your experience but I think that is the first time I've ever heard that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  The SSA is the best upgrade I made to my rifle, and I have some expensive upgrades to the thing.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I have gone from a real "typical" mil spec trigger,  to a higher end (polished) trigger, to adding JP (yellow) spring to said trigger,  to an HSNM-DMR.  (I had shot a ssa-e) which is why I got the dmr (for my precision .308).  As much as I love the dmr, unless I'm going to build another (precision) rifle, I'll probably stick to a higher end lpk with jp springs.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:17:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:28:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You think so? I dont know as I only have one SSA. I can only compare it to other brands and models. I've used Accuracy Speaks, CMC, Colt's match single stage, RRA 2-stage, Bill Springfield, ALG and several "milspec triggers" from Bushmaster, DPMS, Colt, RRA, Oly and others.

Maybe I was expecting too much but my friends RRA 2-stage actually feels better than my SSA two stage. its not bad. its just not $175 good when the RRA is about $95
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should have it checked out by Geissele they have great CS and fast turn around time. My buddy also has a RRA 2-stage which feels pretty good but my SSA's feel better but not blown away better. Now my Geissele High Speed DMR is an outrageous 2-stage trigger.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:42:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd say SSA or something similar for that type of carbine.  The SSA-E was made for DMR-type weapons and is just a little lighter than the SSA.  I have both - the SSA is in my M4gery (very similar to your colt) and the SSA-E in my scoped rifle.  I think the SSA is a perfect all around trigger for home defense and fun at the range.  It is very consistent and predictable.  The second stage has no creep.  The SSA-E is the same thing but with a slightly lighter second stage.  For a carbine-type gun with a RDS, I don't think you need that light of a trigger and in a home defense situation you want to really feel that trigger.

I also have the ALG trigger in a plinker gun and I am not impressed... it was hardly a step up from the stock trigger.  It still has a ton of creep and didn't feel any lighter than the stock trigger.I took out some creep with the joe bob's grip screw but it still isn't great.  I'm going to try the JP springs on it next, but after all these items it would have made more sense to just buy a nicer trigger in the first place.  If you're expecting a night and day difference over your stock trigger, I would avoid the ALG stuff and go with a real Geissele.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:45:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree with this. When the g2s goes on sale they can be had for $110-135, you just have to know where to look. Feels the same as the ssa but a lot less $, it's just ever so slightly more of a pita to install.

That being said I like the ssa-e the best, regardless of purpose, but it's tough to justify it for $240

Owner of, 2 g2s, 2 ssa, and 1 ssa-e. I've had a little time behind the sd and s3g as well.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:23:25 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
+1 and a much less chance of getting a lemon vs the G2S series.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:10:43 AM EDT
[#29]
The SSA is at the top of my list right now, competing with the SSA-E.

I've read a little bit, but can anyone offer any insight on the differences between these two?

Also - what tools do I need, or would be helpful to install this? I know it comes with a slave pin - is just one sufficient?

What about the device you can place in the mag well, and let the hammer drop onto (not sure what this is called)?

What about the block you can set your lower on to work on and poke pins through etc (also not sure what this is called)?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to argue or anything, but I've never heard of lemons from Geissele at all.  The G2S doesn't get all the same QC as the SSA, but is there any evidence of "bad" ones?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:17:06 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Not to argue or anything, but I've never heard of lemons from Geissele at all.  The G2S doesn't get all the same QC as the SSA, but is there any evidence of "bad" ones?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've read one or two reports of people having to send them in for repair.  It's not real common, and I've never heard of one that didn't work, but I read a thread a couple weeks ago about one that felt bad.  Geissele fixed it.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:21:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've got an S2S (pre-cursor to the G2S) and I've used a couple RRA 2 stage triggers.  The best of the RRA's felt close to the S2S but not as good.  I've also polished trigger and used JP springs, had a Bill Springfield nightmare and used the Spikes Nickel Boron fcg.  Your SSA should feel notably better than a stock trigger group with light springs.

I would call Geissele and get them to look at it.  

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The SSA is at the top of my list right now, competing with the SSA-E.

I've read a little bit, but can anyone offer any insight on the differences between these two?

Also - what tools do I need, or would be helpful to install this? I know it comes with a slave pin - is just one sufficient?

What about the device you can place in the mag well, and let the hammer drop onto (not sure what this is called)?

What about the block you can set your lower on to work on and poke pins through etc (also not sure what this is called)?
View Quote

The SSA-E just has a slightly lower second stage pull weight.  You don't need any tools except maybe a punch and hammer if the pins are tight.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've got an S2S (pre-cursor to the G2S) and I've used a couple RRA 2 stage triggers.  The best of the RRA's felt close to the S2S but not as good.  I've also polished trigger and used JP springs, had a Bill Springfield nightmare and used the Spikes Nickel Boron fcg.  Your SSA should feel notably better than a stock trigger group with light springs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pre ban eagle arms carbines didn't use what would be described as a Milspec trigger. It's a lightened hammer only about 1/2 as thick as the standard hammer meaning 1/2 the engagement surfaces. Nobody ever gave ame a straight answer on who made them but some speculated these thin triggers and hammers were made for EA by LMT. It's a very nice single stage trigger. maybe mine is an exceptional example. I don't know. I've never seen another.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Pre ban eagle arms carbines didn't use what would be described as a Milspec trigger. It's a lightened hammer only about 1/2 as thick as the standard hammer meaning 1/2 the engagement surfaces. Nobody ever gave ame a straight answer on who made them but some speculated these thin triggers and hammers were made for EA by LMT. It's a very nice single stage trigger. maybe mine is an exceptional example. I don't know. I've never seen another.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My friend give us a call into the shop 610 272 2060, it sounds like something is not quite right, it should feel much better then what it is sounding like it does. Let us take a look at it. Ask for James when you call.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

And killed my wallet.

I think between those two triggers and your intended usage, Geissele recommends the SSA, but plenty of guys run the E for HD guns.  So far, I've stuck with the SSA for this application, but I'm itching to try the E.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#37]
SDC
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:37:38 PM EDT
[#38]
OP:  You can shoot an email to Geissele regarding the use to which you will be putting the rifle and they will make a direct recommendation to you.

My guess, based on having done just that, is that they will recommend the SSA.

My "pea brain" way of looking at things is this:   If you want a safe trigger to use under stress that also has a light second stage for more precision work, you begin, as you have with the SSA or SSA-E as the top choices.  As between them, I would say that if you are using a red dot, then the slightly higher trigger pull of the SSA adds a layer of forgiveness under stress.  If you are using a magnified optic, like a scope or ACOG, and need more precision while still having a safe trigger for home defense or other stressful situations, then the lighter second stage of the SSA-E would be the better choice.

My rifle is primarily scoped (although I have the scope and a red dot both in true return to zero QD mounts), and is used mostly for tree stand stationary hunting or for precision shooting small groups at 100 yards and over.   The SSA-E was recommended to me, and that is what I chose.

While I cannot say how my rifle would have performed with an SSA trigger, I can say that for precision shooting at 100 yards, the SSA-E cut the size of my groups in half compared to the milspec trigger it replaced.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#39]
I can't speak volumes (or at all for that matter) about "high-stress", high speed-low-drag operating environments, but given the relatively small difference in price between the SSA and E models, the E would be the way i'd go.  The lighter weight of the break makes it easier to rip on fast and it's better for precision work.  Even though it's lighter, it's not like its a 3oz break like you'd find on a benchrest gun, and you should be keeping your finger off the trigger anyways.  

Now, the SSA seems to fit this weird space, in between the cost of the G2S and SSA-E.  The G2S really is everything that the SSA is at a lower cost (sometimes much lower), and the SSA-E is a nice improvement over the SSA.  i'd put it down to the G2S or SSA-E.  I can't really justify the SSA anymore given the cost, and the fact the G2S is so good for so much less money.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I bought a Colt 6920/Magpul MOE version in September and switched out the trigger with an SSA trigger.  I just upgraded the quality of the entire AR.  For me, the SSA was the way to go for a carbine AR.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'd go for the cheaper G2S version for around $100.  I put one in my scoped bench gun and think it's still a little too heavy for that, but would be perfect for what you're describing.
View Quote

Have you measured it?

I think a standard milspec trigger can be as high as 8 pounds.  I like most to be at 4.5-5, but for a bench gun about 3.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have an RRA with the 2 - stage trigger. It's not bad but it doesn't compare to the SSA trigger.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#43]
After a bunch of reading, I really can't decide between the SSA and the SSA-E. They're both high quality triggers, and both seem to perform similarly.

I'm narrowly leaning towards the SSA, but I don't think any amount of reading is going to push me any further in one direction or another.

Where can I get a good deal on an SSA right now?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
After a bunch of reading, I really can't decide between the SSA and the SSA-E. They're both high quality triggers, and both seem to perform similarly.

I'm narrowly leaning towards the SSA, but I don't think any amount of reading is going to push me any further in one direction or another.

View Quote

There's a place you can get the SSA for 178.00 shipped.  PSA also has them for 210.00 with an LPK when specials are run.

I had the exact same dilemma.  SSA or SSA-E.  The poll showed get the SSA-E, but most of the comments from people who read my application (HD/red dot stalk hunting) said get the SSA.  I have two SSA's now and believe they are the best upgrades I've made to my rifles, save for NVG/DBAL i2 night hunting .

FWIW, my friend has an SD-E, the flat bow SSA-E.  I thought it was a little light for what I needed, though they say the flat bow users perceive another 1lb off the trigger pull.  And, I didn't like the flat bow either.

The SSA is fantastic.

ETA: here is that link discussion.  Good thoughts on both triggers.

ETA2: And here was my thoughts on the trigger after the first time using it.  Bought the 2nd one the next day.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:50:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

There's a place you can get the SSA for 178.00 shipped.  PSA also has them for 210.00 with an LPK when specials are run.

I had the exact same dilemma.  SSA or SSA-E.  The poll showed get the SSA-E, but most of the comments from people who read my application (HD/red dot stalk hunting) said get the SSA.  I have two SSA's now and believe they are the best upgrades I've made to my rifles, save for NVG/DBAL i2 night hunting .

FWIW, my friend has an SD-E, the flat bow SSA-E.  I thought it was a little light for what I needed, though they say the flat bow users perceive another 1lb off the trigger pull.  And, I didn't like the flat bow either.

The SSA is fantastic.

ETA2: And here was my thoughts on the trigger after the first time using it.  Bought the 2nd one the next day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SSA is fantastic.

Where????
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Where????
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SSA is fantastic.

Where????

IM sent
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I've read one or two reports of people having to send them in for repair.  It's not real common, and I've never heard of one that didn't work, but I read a thread a couple weeks ago about one that felt bad.  Geissele fixed it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 I read the same thread, and that is why I question the QC of the G2S series.

here is the thread

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:40:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Anyone seeing any current deals on the G2S?  I am a amateur whitetail hunter (one week out of the year) and think this would be a nice upgrade for my LR-308, season is in a few weeks.  Not a professional hunter or target shooter, so this seems like a great bang for the buck over the stock trigger.  Thank you for any tips...
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Anyone seeing any current deals on the G2S?  I am a amateur whitetail hunter (one week out of the year) and think this would be a nice upgrade for my LR-308, season is in a few weeks.  Not a professional hunter or target shooter, so this seems like a great bang for the buck over the stock trigger.  Thank you for any tips...
View Quote
$155 shipped.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:16:41 PM EDT
[#50]
since no one is talking about the single stage S3G super 3 gun, i will.

lots of people say they are too light and touchy for self defense rifles and that the 2 stage versions help prevent accidental discharges and there might be truth there but if you practice proper safety its fine. technically one should not be running around with their booger hook on the bang lever anyway.

i find that shooting quickly as multiple targets is harder for me with the 2 stage triggers. my simple brain gets confused on the 1st stage. the S3G so so freakin fast on double taps thats its mind numbing and that 2nd round goes right where the first round went. i cant say my 2 stage SSA will do it as effectively. maybe i should try the E version......?

i use the S3G on a 20" M16A4 clone with an aimpoint.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top