Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/25/2014 4:45:35 PM EDT
I know the differences but am still on the fence about which one to get.

Purpose: HD/battle rifle that I use more for hunting, though, again, the primary purpose of HD is principally important.  

SSA? - Can this work for 150-250y shots (T-1) effectively?

SSA-E? - Is the lighter pull adequate for possible high stress situations?

What have you experienced with either to make the choice more clear?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:01:49 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO and many others the SSA is the best do all trigger out there for HD to making hits on man size targets out to 600. For anything that requires personal defense I want the heaviest possible trigger while still being very crisp and most of all consistent YMMV. The Geissele SSA is that trigger, and I have shot it out to 400 with ease off a bench, and my Aimpoint T1.

ETA: I was taking my AR with SSA deer hunting until I fractured my foot, and I have no doubts I can harvest a Buck with it.YMMV

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an SSA on my HD rifle, and I have SSA-E triggers on my two range/target rifles.

I think the SSA-E is a little light for HD/stress.  A few of my friends do three-gun, and they all use the SSA.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Fpni.

Love my ssa.

Note; I have only shot with an ssa-e one time. It was nice also.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:16:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Whichever feels best to you. Either will work for your needs.

The SSA-E is far from too light for HD/SD as it's a two stage trigger. You aren't going to take up the first stage of your trigger and aim your rifle at someone unless you intend to use it.

If I were to accidentally discharge an SSA-E, I would have accidentally discharged an SSA as well in the same scenario.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:24:54 PM EDT
[#5]
My set up has an SSA-E in my target rifle, and a Spikes Tactical Battle Trigger in my M4gery. As others posted, the SSA-E is without a doubt too light for HD purposes.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#6]
SSA-E = the best two stage trigger on the market.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The SSA-E is far from too light for HD/SD as it's a two stage trigger. You aren't going to take up the first stage of your trigger and aim your rifle at someone unless you intend to use it.

If I were to accidentally discharge an SSA-E, I would have accidentally discharged an SSA as well in the same scenario.
View Quote
I have to agree with this, but the extra weight is a mental thing that makes me feel better. YMMV

Sorta like a guy spotting you when you bench, but he is not actually helping you lift if that makes since.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#8]
SSA for red dot.  SSA-E for scope.  That is a generalization.  I run the SSA-E on a carbine that sees dual duty with a QD mounted scope that is sometimes swapped for a QD mounted dot.  If precision shooting at distance, the "E" makes sense.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:52:26 PM EDT
[#9]
My two SBR guns have SSAs in them and my Mk12 clone has an SSA-E in it.

I actually like the SSA triggers better.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#10]
SSA for your uses, I have SSA's on my general duty carbines and SBRs.  SSA-E is better suited to bench rest and scoped shooting, I have one on my 308 AR.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#11]
The comments say SSA but the voting slightly favors the SSA-E.  Comments carry more weight.

What I'm not getting is, does the small extra lb of pull weight make that much of a difference for safety etc?  What is the SSA giving you that the SSA-E doesn't?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My two SBR guns have SSAs in them and my Mk12 clone has an SSA-E in it.

I actually like the SSA triggers better.
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The comments say SSA but the voting slightly favors the SSA-E.  Comments carry more weight.

What I'm not getting is, does the small extra lb of pull weight make that much of a difference for safety etc?  What is the SSA giving you that the SSA-E doesn't?
View Quote
In a top trigger like Geissele, half a pound will make a huge difference imo.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the carrot-like SSA break gritty?  Would it throw off a 200+ yard hog shot, or is it shooter error well before that?

My new DD trigger is an atrocity other than it's attached to the V5.  Anything is an upgrade.  I want what makes the best sense.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's been my experience that even though they are both 2 stage triggers, the SSA feels more like a singe stage, the transition from 1st to 2nd is very subtle and you won't notice it if you are shooting very fast.  The SSA-E, for me, has a much more pronounced break from the 1st to the 2nd and that's why I use it on scoped/precision guns.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got two ssa, an ssa-e, and a g2s.  I've also shot with a s3g. I find the e to be a tad easier for precision shots and a tad faster than the ssa when I want to rip on it.  

I like them all, and I'm pretty impressed with the g2 at its price point, but if you put a gun to my head and told me I could keep only one it would be the e.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:55:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Is the carrot-like SSA break gritty?  Would it throw off a 200+ yard hog shot, or is it shooter error well before that?

My new DD trigger is an atrocity other than it's attached to the V5.  Anything is an upgrade.  I want what makes the best sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gritty and Geissele should never be in the same sentence ever.  

Like I said I feel very confident taking a deer with it which requires a more precision shot imo.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless you get a crap one, or don't install it right, there is no grit on geisselle triggers. All that I've shot are fantastic. They are better than The Jp and rra triggers I've fired as well.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I own several SSAs and SSA-Es, and have a ton of rounds down range between them.

Honestly, I can't tell a significant difference between the two.

The E feels a bit lighter, yes, but they feel pretty similar to me overall.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I own several SSAs and SSA-Es, and have a ton of rounds down range between them.

Honestly, I can't tell a significant difference between the two.

The E feels a bit lighter, yes, but they feel pretty similar to me overall.
View Quote

Same here, they are close, but I prefer my SSAs.  I might just be so used to them.  I will take either over anything else, but give the slight edge to the SSA
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Tag
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#22]
SSA
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Great info so far.

What is the SSA-E giving you that the SSA doesn't as an HD gun used for hunting?

Lots of comments on "I love my SSA or SSA-E" or even "I love them both over everything else".  No doubt they are fantastic.  The most valuable insight has been from those who compare the two empirically.  Please state why you like one over the other.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#24]
SSA-E all the way for me.

Taking precision shoots the 2 stage helps out a bunch.

Rapid shots you dont even feel the first stage.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I've got two of the older (2009) electro pencil engraved SSA's and one of the newer SSA-E's and I really can't tell much difference at all.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I, like many other that have posted, own multiple versions of Geissele triggers. SSA's, SSA-E, S3G's, DMR, and SD3G. One questions though that I don't seem to recall being asked, what current experiences do you have with triggers overall? Even wtih handguns and bolt actions?

I know when I first started shooting AR's, about 2 years into it, I asked myself if I would benefit from an upgraded trigger and the answer at the time was no. Only because I never really took the time to really work on the fundamentals of shooting. I would  honestly just go to the static range and blast away so, I couldn't even tell the difference in using a lighter trigger.

When I got serious and started taking classes, training daily, entering matches, and actually timing myself, that's when I upgraded and I could ten tell the significant difference between a standard trigger and an upgraded one. I only bring this point up since we do not know your background and I was in your shoes once. If all the experience so far is with a standard trigger, then the SSA will more than likely fit the bill since it will be lighter than anything you've already used.

I suggest asking around your HTF to see if there's anyone in your area with the two triggers your on the fence about and see for yourself.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I do find the SSA-E to be too light.  My roommate has one in his rifle and I've done some accidental double-taps before (mostly because I was used to a heavy/gritty mil-spec trigger at the time).  My rifle now has an SDC, since it's a little bit heavier than the SSA-E and I really love the flat face as well.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#28]
I shot my first Hi Speed National Match DMR trigger last week with a buddy.  We built a nice JP .308, and he stuck that trigger in there...2nd stage dialed at 1/2 pound.  I had just finished 500 rounds in my little SBR I just put together with a heavy gritty DD LPK in it.  Holy shit, that DMR double tapped on me big time.  He loves that thing, I call it dangerous
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm thinking about tossing a DMR in my MWSE for my upcoming 1,000 yard course.

Maybe I should try someone else's first.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:57:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are adjustable.  This crazy fucker likes them that light.  I cannot pick up his 1911s
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#31]
I put a dmr trigger in my .308.  Besides it being an amazing trigger and now each build will be $200 more, it also...and most importantly, helped my groups tremendously.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:06:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I put a dmr trigger in my .308.  Besides it being an amazing trigger and now each build will be $200 more, it also...and most importantly, helped my groups tremendously.
View Quote

This is what I like to hear.

Are you participating in the October long range precision course in Peoria by any chance?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:29:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have one in my .308 OBR and since you're already used to the SSA-E, it would be a perfect fit in your MWSE.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They are adjustable.  This crazy fucker likes them that light.  I cannot pick up his 1911s
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was already used to really light 1911 triggers and my DMR but, when I got behind a buddy's custom bolt action with a 2lb Timney, that's kind of where I drew the line and knew my pressure limits on triggers. I felt if I farted near the thing it would go off..LOL..
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:59:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Jimmy, I thought that Asian Ninja Wizards couldn't fart. You're supposed to be too stealth for that.

I do want to try out a DMR trigger for sure though.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:26:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I was already used to really light 1911 triggers and my DMR but, when I got behind a buddy's custom bolt action with a 2lb Timney, that's kind of where I drew the line and knew my pressure limits on triggers. I felt if I farted near the thing it would go off..LOL..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear you.  I have all my 1911 triggers just about the same clean 4#, and now actually have a Timney 4# in my .308.  It is growing on me, as long as I JUST take that rifle, that day.  My SSA muscle memory is burned in.  The reset of that DD trigger I have is driving me batshit.  I need to order another trigger.  I have a LMT 2 stage in another that I hate, now.  It was my first 2 stage, and I thought it was great!
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:40:22 PM EDT
[#37]
I bought both.  After putting significant time in, I sold the SSA and put SSA-Es in all my rifles.  In my opinion, the SSA-E is noticeably better and would not consider it a safety issue at all.  If the slight difference in trigger pull is what saves you from a  negligent discharge, you are doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:23:21 AM EDT
[#38]
SSA. I have one in my SEAL recon rifle clone and I manage to shoot within 1 MOA with proper support and fundamentals. The weight seems just right... for me anyways. YMMV
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:58:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Are you participating in the October long range precision course in Peoria by any chance?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, but it is something I would like to do in the near future.  I finally got the rifle together and glass on it a month ago.  I just started doing work ups to see what it likes.  The range I go to now maxes out at 200 yards So im looking to join phx r&g sometime in October and stretch it's legs further.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:21:57 AM EDT
[#40]
I cant give an honest comparison, but I use the SSA in all my rifles. I prefer mentally having the extra weight on my second stage to help prevent a premature discharge. Besides in my case, I dont shoot each rifle equally on a regular basis and having all the same, I can grab anyone of them for HD or other reason and know with mind and muscle memory what to expect. Im doing a build now and going in the other direction and using a POF single stage drop in.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:56:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My set up has an SSA-E in my target rifle, and a Spikes Tactical Battle Trigger in my M4gery. As others posted, the SSA-E is without a doubt too light for HD purposes.
View Quote

This...  I have an SSA-E and an SD-C.  The latter being in my HD gun.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:44:44 AM EDT
[#42]
My G2S in my 7.62 pred is smoother than my SSA.  The SSA in my 556 predatar has definite creep in it, thought about sending it back, but its my all around gun.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:07:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
HD Rifle (T-1 optic) used for hunting. Which trigger?
View Quote

Hunting.......SSA-E

Defense......SSA

Multi role carbine, I would chose the SSA
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:27:52 AM EDT
[#45]
For that purpose SSA.

I would put SSA or equivalent on reflex sight rifles.

I would put SSA-E or equivalent on magnified "SPR" rifles.

Shooting under any level of stress (for instance, "tactical" type of shooting that involves moving and engaging multiple targets) you will not feel anything lighter than the SSA is necessary. It is only when shooting precision, where you are slowly squeezing the trigger, where you will notice the 1 lb the SSA-E has over the SSA.

The only time when I have ever wished the SSA was lighter was when shooting precision.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#46]
I have a a rifle equipped with the SSA-E , I have never used the SSA , what advantages does the SSA have over the G2S?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:09:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have a a rifle equipped with the SSA-E , I have never used the SSA , what advantages does the SSA have over the G2S?
View Quote

SSA advantages over the G2s, tighter Quality control measures, and less parts.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:01:58 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Hunting.......SSA-E

Defense......SSA

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

HD Rifle (T-1 optic) used for hunting. Which trigger?

Hunting.......SSA-E

Defense......SSA

Nailed it.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have an SSA on my HD rifle, and I have SSA-E triggers on my two range/target rifles.

I think the SSA-E is a little light for HD/stress.  A few of my friends do three-gun, and they all use the SSA.
View Quote

I agree with ^^^^^^. But it's better for paper punching
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:26:24 AM EDT
[#50]
I have an ssa on my scoped 20" rifle I use for hunting. Great trigger all around and perfect pull wieght. I like the crisper break in my friends ssa-e, it is definetly wayy crisper than my ssa carrot break, but the ssa-e feels scary light to me and belongs on a bench gun in my opinion. I tightened my groups by about an inch switching from mil spec to ssa.   No regrets getting the ssa, but I do wish it was a crisper break. Ideally the best trigger never made woul be a ssa pull weight with a candy cane break of the ssa-e.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top