Link Posted: 8/7/2019 1:19:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BrandonF42088] [#1]
deleted
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 2:01:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer5] [#2]
nevermind.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Finally treated myself and bought the can for my gat. Now I have to pretend I didnt do it. Took my girl along to make sure it screwed on nicely.

upload an image
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By vagpunisher:

Finally treated myself and bought the can for my gat. Now I have to pretend I didnt do it. Took my girl along to make sure it screwed on nicely.
View Quote
Like your rifle a lot.  Whereabouts in PA?  Delaware and wouldn't mind traveling a few hours to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 5:04:06 PM EDT
[#5]
My rifle came together a lot quicker than expected.  Ergo grip and proper 6-9 bipod on the way.  Will work on NLS rings.  I've never hesitated to paint, but I kind of like as is the more I look at it.

Link Posted: 8/9/2019 5:07:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kmcale] [#6]
Originally Posted By THEdtw:
My rifle came together a lot quicker than expected.  Ergo grip and proper 6-9 bipod on the way.  Will work on NLS rings.  I've never hesitated to paint, but I kind of like as is the more I look at it.

https://i.imgur.com/8JvEx3M.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ULADUZB.jpg
View Quote
You throw that brownells lower down the driveway a couple times? Actually looks pretty good like that haha!
I've been thinking about talking to Harlan at NDS about giving my lower a battleworn look before he ships it out (hopefully will be my turn soon, been waiting like 7 months now)
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Like your rifle a lot.  Whereabouts in PA?  Delaware and wouldn't mind traveling a few hours to shoot.
View Quote
Ever been to DelMarVa sporting clays on the MD eastern shore?

I'm hitting it soonish with my grendel, creed, seal recce, blackout (w/can and subs--hilarious on 200y steel), and a handful of AKs, maybe even the Mosin.  Hell you wouldn't even have to twist my arm to bring out a slightly less modern sporting rifle, 1861 springfield.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By kmcale:

You throw that brownells lower down the driveway a couple times? Actually looks pretty good like that haha!
I've been thinking about talking to Harlan at NDS about giving my lower a battleworn look before he ships it out (hopefully will be my turn soon, been waiting like 7 months now)
View Quote
Haha.  Actually bought it new from a guy that gave up on a battlefield pickup build.  Nice to see another Minnesotan.  Was just home on leave and really miss it.  Can't wait to come back and get my AEM5 squared away.

@ProfessorHorseyhead

Feel free to PM me.  Only been to Schraders but enjoy trying new places.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote
I'm in york. South central PA near the maryland line. I dont have many places to shoot past 350 yds. Mostly just shoot at my parents farm
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#10]

I'm in york. South central PA near the maryland line. I dont have many places to shoot past 350 yds. Mostly just shoot at my parents farm
View Quote
My longest is 100.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#11]
@vagpunisher @THEdtw DSC out on the MD shore has 50/100/200/300 yard rifle berms, and for an extra 10 bucks you can shoot to 500 (they have to shut down the sporting clays range so hence the extra fee).

RSO is a good friend of mine and def won't bother anyone out there with me.  he might wanna chat a lot though
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ProfessorHorseyhead:
@vagpunisher @THEdtw DSC out on the MD shore has 50/100/200/300 yard rifle berms, and for an extra 10 bucks you can shoot to 500 (they have to shut down the sporting clays range so hence the extra fee).

RSO is a good friend of mine and def won't bother anyone out there with me.  he might wanna chat a lot though
View Quote
That's less than a half hour from me.  Going to need to check it out.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 8:09:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6H05T] [#13]
So i got pretty lucky... and was able to find what i believe to be the correct parts for a late mod 0 upper which is what i really wanted to do.

So far i have purchased;

-Colt Af marked upper receiver
-PRI gen III rifle length carbon fiber handguard, black
-PRI fsb with full address, set screws and no elevation wheel
-nos Ops Inc nos muzzle break and collar
-A.R.M.S. #38 SPR Peq 2-3 swan sleeve
-A.R.M.S. #22 medium scope rings with no lever stops
-A.R.M.S. #40 rear iron sight
-Deiter Cqd forward sling mount

Few questions on remaining parts i want to try to get period correct for a late mod 0 ;

-What bcg? C stamped Colt? Toolcraft with cage#, no cage?
-Barrel, i planned on the Douglas 18" mk12 stainless 1-7 twist, but is there a specific model difference in them or all of the Douglas mk12 1-7 barrels correct? Raw finish?
-Harris 6-9" swivel hbrms bipod
-Knights bipod mount nsn# 1005-01-468-0350
-Colt rifle length stainless gas tube
-Scope, can i go with a Leupold Mark 4 MR/T 2.5-8x36 tritium illuminated? Would a NightForce or different Leupold be more correct for this era mk12? I liked that i can get a mk4 leuopold new, as the tritium dims over time so if there is a better illuminated option still being made that is also correct I'm open to suggestion

Thanks so much for the help everyone! Ill post a pic as the parts roll in, stoked on the build :D
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote
Damn, that's about 4 hours from me. Pretty good hike
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 11:03:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 6H05T:
So i got pretty lucky... and was able to find what i believe to be the correct parts for a late mod 0 upper which is what i really wanted to do.

So far i have purchased;

-PRI fsb with full address and no elevation wheel

Few questions on remaining parts i want to try to get period correct for a late mod 0 ;

-Barrel, i planned on the Douglas 18" mk12 stainless 1-7 twist, but is there a specific model difference in them or all of the Douglas mk12 1-7 barrels correct? Raw finish?
-Scope, can i go with a Leupold Mark 4 MR/T 2.5-8x36 tritium illuminated? Would a NightForce or different Leupold be more correct for this era mk12? I liked that i can get a mk4 leuopold new, as the tritium dims over time so if there is a better illuminated option still being made that is also correct I'm open to suggestion

Thanks so much for the help everyone! Ill post a pic as the parts roll in, stoked on the build :D
View Quote
@6H05T I'll get you a detailed reply in a bit
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 10:23:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Damn, that's about 4 hours from me. Pretty good hike
View Quote
I may work on getting Jason, Minh, and a few of the VA guys to come up and have a whole-group day out there or sumpin.  Be a long day for some fellas, but trying to get a decent group together usually is.  I can also get on Quantico and know several of the other duders can, so maybe we hit something there too.  /shrug
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 12:01:18 PM EDT
[#17]

I may work on getting Jason, Minh, and a few of the VA guys to come up and have a whole-group day out there or sumpin.  Be a long day for some fellas, but trying to get a decent group together usually is.  I can also get on Quantico and know several of the other duders can, so maybe we hit something there too.  /shrug
View Quote
It would be cool to get a big group of mk12 cloners together. But if we go to quantico, I'm afraid I'll instinctively walk around with my right hand at my forehead and non stop greet butter bars like the retarded lance coolie I once was. Lol
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#18]

It would be cool to get a big group of mk12 cloners together. But if we go to quantico, I'm afraid I'll instinctively walk around with my right hand at my forehead and non stop greet butter bars like the retarded lance coolie I once was. Lol
View Quote

I'll be right behind you with my hands in my pockets, triple-dog-daring them.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 2:24:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 7:45:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 6:46:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Into_the_Void] [#21]
Looks like ole Juanita is getting a Douglas tube finally.  If anyone is in need of a barrel, lemme know.  This bergara barrel has been amazing, but clone life calls and I couldn't pass up a $200 Douglas.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:

@6H05T I'll get you a detailed reply in a bit
View Quote
Thank you :)
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:
Looks like ole Juanita is getting a Douglas tube finally.  If anyone is in need of a barrel, lemme know.  This bergara barrel has been amazing, but clone life calls and I couldn't pass up a $200 Douglas.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/220444/Screenshot_20190811-064541_Gallery_jpg-1050177.JPG
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 6H05T:

So far i have purchased;

-PRI fsb with full address, set screws and no elevation wheel

View Quote
Okay @6H05T sorry it took a few days, but here goes.

- Most any Colt M16 style BCG will do. There's a good chance contract replacements got used as well but IMO no direct need to go looking for specific stampings or anything. If you feel like ponying up for a surplus M16A1 carrier and then get a contract bolt, that'd work great too.
- You'll need a Douglas SPR barrel with "flats" milled in to work with the set screw FSB. PRI themselves offer this, or if you go through say Compass Lake you'd mail the FSB itself in and they'd set it up for you that way too. Finish should be KG GunKote SOCOM black, though some of the older SPR and Mod 1 barrels had a more gray/black finish that is lighter than SOCOM black.
- If you can find an older Harris 6-9 without the leg notches that might be an extra bonus point. It's hard to tell if guys were using those but the KAC mount is correct for it.
- The only "Correct" optics that we've *seen* are the 3-9 MR/T TS30A2s, and one guy that swapped the 3.5-10x40 off an earlier SPR. A 2.5-8 can be an acceptable stand-in, and moreso if you find the older ones with the blended illumination housing. (rounded, not the flat-sided ones).
- Sling/mount, the issued option and what you usually see in the few photos we have are the Eagle TAS-1 UMSS, which used a Knight's RAS sling adapter with Uncle Mikes swivel and loop and a fixed stock adapter in the back. The CQD were mainly used on CQBRs and M4s and such, so I guess it isn't outlandish to use one.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:24:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Okay @6H05T sorry it took a few days, but here goes.

- Most any Colt M16 style BCG will do. There's a good chance contract replacements got used as well but IMO no direct need to go looking for specific stampings or anything. If you feel like ponying up for a surplus M16A1 carrier and then get a contract bolt, that'd work great too.
- You'll need a Douglas SPR barrel with "flats" milled in to work with the set screw FSB. PRI themselves offer this, or if you go through say Compass Lake you'd mail the FSB itself in and they'd set it up for you that way too. Finish should be KG GunKote SOCOM black, though some of the older SPR and Mod 1 barrels had a more gray/black finish that is lighter than SOCOM black.
- If you can find an older Harris 6-9 without the leg notches that might be an extra bonus point. It's hard to tell if guys were using those but the KAC mount is correct for it.
- The only "Correct" optics that we've *seen* are the 3-9 MR/T TS30A2s, and one guy that swapped the 3.5-10x40 off an earlier SPR. A 2.5-8 can be an acceptable stand-in, and moreso if you find the older ones with the blended illumination housing. (rounded, not the flat-sided ones).
- Sling/mount, the issued option and what you usually see in the few photos we have are the Eagle TAS-1 UMSS, which used a Knight's RAS sling adapter with Uncle Mikes swivel and loop and a fixed stock adapter in the back. The CQD were mainly used on CQBRs and M4s and such, so I guess it isn't outlandish to use one.
View Quote
Awesome, thank you so much. I'll do my best to finish it out the right way. Really looking forward to taking this build to the range one day :D
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:32:48 PM EDT
[#26]
A PSA about scopes with the older illumination module: I have an older 3.5-10x40 that I sent back to Leupold for tracking issues. While they did a fantastic job and went above and beyond by replacing the dented objective housing and windage dial, they also “upgraded” the original illumination module with the newer style.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 12:41:26 AM EDT
[#27]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/220444/Screenshot_20190811-064541_Gallery_jpg-1050177.JPG
View Quote
Wow.  That's sweet.  Any pics of your mk12s together?  If already posted pages back, my bad.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By MJ11B4P:
A PSA about scopes with the older illumination module: I have an older 3.5-10x40 that I sent back to Leupold for tracking issues. While they did a fantastic job and went above and beyond by replacing the dented objective housing and windage dial, they also “upgraded” the original illumination module with the newer sktyle.
View Quote
Hope mine doesnt break, its an original vari-× iii 3-10x40 with the vertical illumination housing, that housing alone makes the scope
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By tamboi:

Hope mine doesnt break, its an original vari-× iii 3-10x40 with the vertical illumination housing, that housing alone makes the scope
View Quote
Yeh, I was a little peeved. The original rounded  illumination module was working perfectly, too.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#30]

Yeh, I was a little peeved. The original rounded  illumination module was working perfectly, too.
View Quote
Good to know, and sorry to hear that. If I ever have to send mine in for some reason I'll see if telling them not to "upgrade" will be of any use.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#31]
They did the same thing to an original TS30A2 and ruined the value on it. AND put a Duplex in it!
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#32]
A PSA about scopes with the older illumination module: I have an older 3.5-10x40 that I sent back to Leupold for tracking issues. While they did a fantastic job and went above and beyond by replacing the dented objective housing and windage dial, they also “upgraded” the original illumination module with the newer style.
View Quote
Same happened to me when they did the M1 to M2 turret swap for my 2.5-8x36.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#33]
They did the same thing to an original TS30A2 and ruined the value on it. AND put a Duplex in it!
View Quote
Christ, is that a joke, was it yours, wtf
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
It was someone on Looserounds blog. No idea if he got it fixed or not.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Is the WOA 5SPRR, the correct profile for ae brake & collar? I’m looking to buy a spare and thought I’d give WOA a whirl.

Took wife’s uncle shooting @700yds a few weekends ago.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 9:24:06 PM EDT
[#37]
you guys ever want to go out to 700Y PM me...Im not that far away.  It just has to be during the week.  CHEERS!!!
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 11:36:47 PM EDT
[#38]
This may have been covered here......But has a fixed 10 power MK4 ever been seen on a MK 12?
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 11:58:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By hemiman:
This may have been covered here......But has a fixed 10 power MK4 ever been seen on a MK 12?
View Quote
One of the more famous Mk12 photos:

Link Posted: 8/15/2019 11:38:11 AM EDT
[#40]
What’s current market value on a Leupold 112633? Thinking about piecing out my Mod 1 to help fund and m110 build. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Rothperson87:
What's current market value on a Leupold 112633? Thinking about piecing out my Mod 1 to help fund and m110 build. Thanks.
View Quote
I know it's off topic but any details for a m110 build? Could PM me
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#42]

One of the more famous Mk12 photos:

https://i.imgur.com/A7d9oY5.jpg
View Quote
I wonder if a fixed 10x would be Overkill on a Holland....with an offset rmr.....
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 6:21:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Correct 6-9 came in along with the Ergo. The fact that I'm just now noticing the short collar is disappointing. Always something.  Had also convinced myself to paint it, but this is the first time I've seen the rifle outside. Purple comes out even more.

I really need to upgrade my phone or invest in a real camera.  These photos are embarrassing.

Link Posted: 8/15/2019 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Correct 6-9 came in along with the Ergo. The fact that I'm just now noticing the short collar is disappointing. Always something.  Had also convinced myself to paint it, but this is the first time I've seen the rifle outside. Purple comes out even more.

I really need to upgrade my phone or invest in a real camera.  These photos are embarrassing.

https://i.imgur.com/zmfC6sz.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4SiFxFy.jpg
View Quote
That's one of the biggies I'm missing ... Vero Beach RAS..
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 6:55:13 PM EDT
[#45]

https://i.imgur.com/zmfC6sz.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4SiFxFy.jpg
View Quote
Mmmmmm purple.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 11:00:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hemiman] [#46]
Beginning of my Holland....Have a complete Holland upper en route as well.

Might change out that trigger guard....might not.

ETA....Just scored a leupy mk4 non illuminated model for $500

Link Posted: 8/17/2019 10:41:33 AM EDT
[#47]
New barrel time.  Haven't had this bitch apart in 5 years

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#48]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/220444/20190817_103952_jpg-1057521.JPG
View Quote
Very nice! Let us know how she shoots.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 2:58:07 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote
What barrel are you going with?
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 3:26:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Honda4828:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Honda4828:

Douglas.

There's nothing wrong with the barrel in it.  It'll be on the EE tonight.  I just want to be more clone correct.
Page / 1178
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top