Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked 223- Deer Hunting Rounds (Page 8 of 14)
Page / 14
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:10:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the Hornady TAP, 75 grain Match
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I just ordered some Corbon 62 DPX and plan on using them this year for deer and hogs. You can kill an elephant with a rock if you know what you're doing. The caliber discussion is so overrated. What would I hunt with an AR? Because I can. Because it's good practice. Because the odds of the zombies coming or my home getting broken in to is slim, so why not use the rifle for what it was intended for.  If you trust the AR to kill a home intruded or the hordes, but not to kill a deer or a hog or whatever; then you need to rethink your thinking.
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 12:14:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I have decided to possibly take one of my deer with 223 as I spot and stalk this year. But I can't decide between what ammo I have. I have Federal TRU in either 55gr Barnes Triple Shok or 64gr Hi Shok SP and 75gr TAP. I'm limiting myself to 50yd shots so I guess any of these will do but I'm leaning more torwards the 64gr.

I have checked with Federal and both loads are rated for deer sized game. I'll be sure to report back if I take one with my AR, what load I used and the results.
Link Posted: 10/15/2012 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Two deer taken this weekend, my dad and I both shot good-sized does with Federal Fusion 62gr.

Both were looking at us when shot about 125 yards away (longest shot I ever had to make). One was shot in neck a few inches below chin. Tiny entry, no exit. No bullet recovered, but it foamed quite a bit like the bullet went down into the lungs. It fell immediately, got up then collapsed dead. Zero meat loss.

Second was hit right between the eyes. Tiny entry, no exit, no bullet recovered. Dropped like a sack. Zero meat loss.

So, shot placement is still king.. but no exit makes me a little weary about using this in the future. The first (neck shot) one, I feel, should have severed the spine and I didn't see any evidence of that. More like it took a turn down into the lungs.

I'm glad to know I can take a deer with a 223, but I think I'm going to stick to heavier bullets in the future. Considering 300 blackout for next year.

Low recoil makes this a nice option for young'ns.

P.S. The other guy in our party shot a littler one with a 7mm mag. "Pefect" shoulder shot, but man, lots of meat loss. Both shoulders pulverized, ribs pulverized. When he was done cleaning it up, he hardly had any meat. We gave him some of ours of course.
Link Posted: 10/15/2012 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mEnTL32:
Two deer taken this weekend, my dad and I both shot good-sized does with Federal Fusion 62gr.

Both were looking at us when shot about 125 yards away (longest shot I ever had to make). One was shot in neck a few inches below chin. Tiny entry, no exit. No bullet recovered, but it foamed quite a bit like the bullet went down into the lungs. It fell immediately, got up then collapsed dead. Zero meat loss.

Second was hit right between the eyes. Tiny entry, no exit, no bullet recovered. Dropped like a sack. Zero meat loss.

So, shot placement is still king.. but no exit makes me a little weary about using this in the future. The first (neck shot) one, I feel, should have severed the spine and I didn't see any evidence of that. More like it took a turn down into the lungs.

I'm glad to know I can take a deer with a 223, but I think I'm going to stick to heavier bullets in the future. Considering 300 blackout for next year.

P.S. The other guy in our party shot a littler one with a 7mm mag. "Pefect" shoulder shot, but man, lots of meat loss. Both shoulders pulverized, ribs pulverized. When he was done cleaning it up, he hardly had any meat. We gave him some of ours of course.

I agree with you.  Both of those should have been through and through shots.  Have you considered using the 62gr Barnes TSX or 60gr Nosler Partition?  Both of those have given me exit wounds every time I have used them on pigs and deer using shoulder shots on the deer and neck shots on the pigs.

I hope someone else gives us a report of their experiences with the 62gr Fusion.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 6:37:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I picked up some of the fusions for my grandkids to shoot their first deer with,may have to look farther for some more ammo,no head/neck shots for them.Broad shide shots only for them.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#7]

I dont know if you should be to worried about not having an exit wound. I shot an 8pt last year with a 300 WSM at 40 yards in the neck with a ballistic tip bullet. Small entry no exit. Deer dropped in its tracks didnt even twitch. (zreo meat loss) 3 weeks ago shooting same gun with Remington express core lokt  blew though 1/2 steel plate at 80 yards. Go figure.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#8]
ok I have now read all 15 pages of this tread. Although it is well argued that deer can be successfully harvested with a .223, I am still a little unsure about it. I live in northern Michigan (go blue, tigers, lions) I have shot plenty of deer. I hate tracking so I like them to drop in their tracks. I would like to try and hunt with my AR, but I think a 4-5 year old 8-10 pointer 200+ lb deer is gonna look at you and laugh if you hit him with a .223. Hell these trespassers with take a F-150 at 60 MPH broad side and keep on going. I would feel safe taking a lighter doe vital shot or head shot (preferred doe killing method), but if a brute walks out Im not sold yet. 300 win mag guarantees death. Just my .02
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By BSMITH8315:

I dont know if you should be to worried about not having an exit wound. I shot an 8pt last year with a 300 WSM at 40 yards in the neck with a ballistic tip bullet. Small entry no exit. Deer dropped in its tracks didnt even twitch. (zreo meat loss) 3 weeks ago shooting same gun with Remington express core lokt  blew though 1/2 steel plate at 80 yards. Go figure.

Nosler BTs have a reputation for vaporizing when impact velocities are higher than 2500 fps and have been known to not reach the vitals on heart/lung shots in those instances.  I helped a very well known Staff member here track a big buck that had been shot with a BT out of his 7mm Rem Mag at 100 yards. The buck went down hard and laid there for several minutes before it walked off.   We followed a heavy blood trail for about 400 yards, most of that on our hands and knees through thick south Texas thorn brush.  The blood trail tapered off and stopped.  We brought more folks and dogs to look for that buck and never found it.

I know BTs have killed a million deer, but I want a bullet with a reputation for holding together and making an exit wound at high impact velocities.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 8:11:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doubleshot00] [#11]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

Originally Posted By DPeacher:

Nosler BTs have a reputation for vaporizing when impact velocities are higher than 2500 fps and have been known to not reach the vitals on heart/lung shots in those instances.  I helped a very well known Staff member here track a big buck that had been shot with a BT out of his 7mm Rem Mag at 100 yards. The buck went down hard and laid there for several minutes before it walked off.   We followed a heavy blood trail for about 400 yards, most of that on our hands and knees through thick south Texas thorn brush.  The blood trail tapered off and stopped.  We brought more folks and dogs to look for that buck and never found it.

I know BTs have killed a million deer, but I want a bullet with a reputation for holding together and making an exit wound at high impact velocities.

I'm still haunted by this buck. It's the only deer I've ever hit that I've lost. I've never seen a deer lose that much blood/lung tissue and not end up DRT within 50 yards.

I'm still a firm believer in Ballistic Tip bullets. While the bullet does fragment, the core is usually more than heavy enough to penetrate deeply - especially in deer that aren't huge. As a matter of fact, I see the fragmentation as a big bonus as it creates a massive permanent cavity that can succeed in bringing a deer down very quickly.

With a bigger animal, a heavy non-fragmenting bullet is better insurance though. The following illustration - while shown for .308 - correctly shows what you can expect from bullets you can typically expect to use. Few people would opt for the lightweight, limited penetration bullets so concentrate on the second and third picture. The TSX and similar bullets give reliable, deep penetration. The ballistic-tip style bullets frag nasty, but usually penetrate deeply enough as well.

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Misc_Images/DocGKR/308WPcomparison.jpg

For .223, the above discussion is largely irrelevant.

Ive shot a deer once with a .300 Weatherby with 180 gr. Balisstic Tips and it was DRT.  The exit wound was as big as my fist.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I've killed deer with a 30-06, an 8mm Mauser and a 7mm WSM with good results from all 3. After 2 brain surgeries last year I have become very recoil sensitive but want to get back into hunting this year so I am thinking about using one of my ARs as they are the only rifles that I can shoot well other than a 22LR. Who has had experience with Barnes 62 gr TSX bullets on deer as I am thinking about working up some loads with them and using them this season. JR
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By jrauch:
I've killed deer with a 30-06, an 8mm Mauser and a 7mm WSM with good results from all 3. After 2 brain surgeries last year I have become very recoil sensitive but want to get back into hunting this year so I am thinking about using one of my ARs as they are the only rifles that I can shoot well other than a 22LR. Who has had experience with Barnes 62 gr TSX bullets on deer as I am thinking about working up some loads with them and using them this season. JR

Look around page 5-6 for load data.  I use either Reloader 15 25gr. or Varget 25gr. for 62gr. TSX.  Reloader 15 seems to group a little better for my rifle.  I havent killed anything with it yet but have seen what the damage looks like.  Just last weekend i did my reloading tests on this load.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 11:20:39 PM EDT
[#14]

I'm still haunted by this buck. It's the only deer I've ever hit that I've lost. I've never seen a deer lose that much blood/lung tissue and not end up DRT within 50 yards.

I'm still a firm believer in Ballistic Tip bullets. While the bullet does fragment, the core is usually more than heavy enough to penetrate deeply - especially in deer that aren't huge. As a matter of fact, I see the fragmentation as a big bonus as it creates a massive permanent cavity that can succeed in bringing a deer down very quickly.

With a bigger animal, a heavy non-fragmenting bullet is better insurance though. The following illustration - while shown for .308 - correctly shows what you can expect from bullets you can typically expect to use. Few people would opt for the lightweight, limited penetration bullets so concentrate on the second and third picture. The TSX and similar bullets give reliable, deep penetration. The ballistic-tip style bullets frag nasty, but usually penetrate deeply enough as well.

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Misc_Images/DocGKR/308WPcomparison.jpg

For .223, the above discussion is largely irrelevant.

Not to derail thread to much, I killed a buck that only had one lung once.  Their was a round scar built up cartlidge over the rib cage and the lung was just black scar tissue. Pretty sure he took an arrow.  So these things happen.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 6:22:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Phantom2] [#15]
I have some .223 ammo. Hornady 223 V-max 55 gr. and Remington white box 223 50 gr JHP.Either of those work for deer? Opinions ?Thanks. I am going to try and find some Winchester 64grn powerpoint.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 7:16:36 AM EDT
[#16]
My younger son shot his first deer last weekend.
He used a Windham SRC with a Bushnell TRS red-dot and my handload a Nosler 60 gr. Partition chronographed at 2,807 fps from 16'' barrel
The large doe was 15 yards away from our blind.
After the shot, she only ran 20 yards before dropping.
Entry and exit holes were small, but damage to both lungs was significant.
I was more than pleased with the entire event.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 2:32:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Phantom2:
I have some .223 ammo. Hornady 223 V-max 55 gr. and Remington white box 223 50 gr JHP.Either of those work for deer? Opinions ?Thanks. I am going to try and find some Winchester 64grn powerpoint.

I would not use the V-max or that JHP on deer.  The V in V-max stands for Varmint.  It is designed to rapidly expand on very small animals.   It is not designed to hold together for deep penetration of deer sized animals.

I have had and have seen others have good experiences with the 64gr PowerPoints on deer, but I would rather use the 60gr Nosler Partitions simply because of the better (IMHO) design.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By CDW4ME:
He used a Windham SRC with a Bushnell TRS red-dot and my handload a Nosler 60 gr. Partition chronographed at 2,807 fps from 16'' barrel

Several years ago I loaned my H&R single shot .223 to a friends wife (now ex-wife) with a handful of 60gr Partitions.  She shot a doe at about 30 yards and had the exact same results as you described.  Her husband also shot a doe with his .270 at about 80 yards that same afternoon.  Both shots were broadside, through and through.  The .270 left a slightly larger exit wound.  We had both of those deer on the gambrels at the same time, and it was hard to tell which one was killed with which rifle.  The wound channels were VERY similar.  

I am NOT saying the .223 is as capable as a .270, but a properly loaded .223 is still very capable when correctly used.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I've had good luck wit the 60gr Hornady HP in 223 and 22-250 out to 150yds.  Only shot 6-7 and did not lose one as most were DRT within 25 yds.
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Several years ago I loaned my H&R single shot .223 to a friends wife (now ex-wife) with a handful of 60gr Partitions.  She shot a doe at about 30 yards and had the exact same results as you described.  Her husband also shot a doe with his .270 at about 80 yards that same afternoon.  Both shots were broadside, through and through.  The .270 left a slightly larger exit wound.  We had both of those deer on the gambrels at the same time, and it was hard to tell which one was killed with which rifle.  The wound channels were VERY similar.  

I am NOT saying the .223 is as capable as a .270, but a properly loaded .223 is still very capable when correctly used.

deer do not know what caliber just went through them.  In that case the 270 deposited a lot of energy into the air on the other side of the deer.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Does anybody have any experience with the 64 gr Winchester Power Max Bonded for deer or hogs?  How does it compare to the Winchester Power Point?

Link Posted: 10/28/2012 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By De5115:
Does anybody have any experience with the 64 gr Winchester Power Max Bonded for deer or hogs?  How does it compare to the Winchester Power Point?

I have no experience with that bullet, but the 64gr Winchester Power Points have worked well for me on deer and hogs.  I see no reason to believe a bonded core bullet of the same weight would be any less effective.  I went to the Winchester website and they have a deer icon next to the .223 64gr load.  As always, choose your shots wisely (200 yards or less, broadside profile) and place the bullet through the heart/both lungs and you will be successful on deer.  Shoot pigs in the middle of the neck with just about anything 55gr (FMJ works just fine) or heavier and they will drop in their tracks.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 9:30:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Are these bullets available?

Originally Posted By PAPI:
Just an update on : Terminal Bullet Performance : " Cutting Edge Bullets "
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j161/A-PAPI/DSC092931.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j161/A-PAPI/DSC092961.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j161/A-PAPI/DSC093101.jpg
Pg# 183
" Trauma to medium was nearly non existent from the Nosler, which surprised me a bit, just a tiny hole with pieces from beginning to end at 6 inches.
The Barnes gave a bit more trauma than the Nosler, but not as much as the BBW #13 NonCon.
This concludes my "TINY-ITTY-BITTY Big Bore" report, we will now move to something a bit more, entertaining!
Michael " http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4711043/m/2861098911/p/183

PAPI

EDIT:
...Now do not forget either, that it has been determined, and proven from great deal of study over the years that a solid tested in my test medium here will penetrate on average 35% more in animal tissue, since in most cases it is less dense than the test medium. Softs, expanding and NonCons will be from [span style='text-decoration: underline;']75%-80% to 100% deeper penetration on animal tissue than in this test medium... Michael

Tested in the " LAB ", and then " Field Tested " on Live Game ...

Deeper Penetration , Better Bullets ,HMMMMM !!

Sounds like a " WINNER ".. !

Link Posted: 10/30/2012 9:55:23 PM EDT
[#25]
75gr TAP ammo

at 300yds it didn't go through the neck completely.

deer was taken above the shaded area

Link Posted: 10/30/2012 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Picked up some Federal 223 64 grain soft point ammo.Anyone tried these on deer?
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#28]

Here's a rebate for Federal Premium, Power Shok, and Fusion, good for purchases through 12/31/12

Link Posted: 11/1/2012 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#29]

You need to read the thread...
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 3:31:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jrauch] [#30]
Recently finished  my 1st complete upper build ; Rock River flattop upper , Doublestar 20" chrome lined 1-9 barrel , Bushmaster bcg. I've already tried a 62gr Barnes load out on paper w a 16" AR w good accuracy. Hoping to get the 20" rifle together (Surplus Arms & Ammo lower receiver & parts kit are on order) for rifle season here in KY( Nov 10-25). If not I'll use the 16" or just swap out lowers.. JR
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#31]
all 16 pages.I have been thru them more than once.Can i assume the Federal 64 grain load is similar to the Wnchester? Do they both use the same 64 grain bullet?
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 7:03:36 PM EDT
[#32]
all 16 pages.I have been thru them more than once.Can i assume the Federal 64 grain load is similar to the Wnchester? Do they both use the same 64 grain bullet?

They are different bullets, but very similar to the Winchester.  The Federal Cartridge web page has that load listed for use on medium game like whitetail deer.  They should work fine as long as you use them properly (broadside shot through both lungs/heart, no more than 200 yards).
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Sounds great, I want to use my AR when I am walking, and my Rem 700 VTR .308 on stand.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 7:02:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CDW4ME] [#34]

Ditto on my son shooting a small buck this weekend - albeit with my 7mm Rem Mag loaded with a 150gr Nosler BT.

We couldn't even find the entrance hole for a minute - turned out it was a perfect shot right behind the shoulder. The exit hole was also unimpressive - until we skinned the deer. Then it looked like someone punched their fist through the deer cross-wise. The damage was tremendous. I guess the hide holds together fairly well and hides the subcutaneous damage.

The internal damage from that 60 gr. Partition looked about like IIRRC what I've seen from deer shot with .243 using 100 gr. SP bullets or a .50 muzzleloader using a 45 cal JHP pistol bullet (damage to lungs + pulp in body cavity).

I didn't put his picture on here because I couldn't upload directly and I don't have a photobucket account, or imageshack, wasn't sure if they would send me a bunch of spam (or give e-mail to others to spam) if I signed up.
I did put it on a thread I started in another forum:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503722  http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503722

Entry holes: I've killed a couple of deer with Slick Trick Grizz 1 1/4'' four blade broadheads and they leave VERY impressive entry / exit holes; Rocket miniblasters (1 3/4'' mechanicals) left big exit holes, small entry.

Link Posted: 11/7/2012 11:45:51 AM EDT
[#35]

300yard shot! on a deer... I dont know if I would do that. Glad it worked out. I wouldnt do more then 150 with a 223 on deer...

Originally Posted By JeredMD:
75gr TAP ammo

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x247/jerede/PA270067.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x247/jerede/PA270063.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x247/jerede/PA270066.jpg

Link Posted: 11/7/2012 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Found some Winchester 64 grain soft point today.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 1:33:40 AM EDT
[#37]
70 yard shot on a doe with a 55 grain TAP round, round entered the side of the doe, hit the aorta arch, destroying it and a lung or two, heart was completely untouched, but aorta arch and lungs were soup inside the cavity. She kinda made a small circle than her back went down, followed by her front legs. Collapsed and dead within 15 seconds of the hit.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 1:46:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Our modern gun deer season starts tomorrow . Probably won't get to hunt till Sun PM. Looking forward to using the 62 gr Barnes TSX handloads I have worked up on deer. They will  group around 1/2" (3 shots) @ 100 yds. JR
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 1:34:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By DOG556:

300yard shot! on a deer... I dont know if I would do that. Glad it worked out. I wouldnt do more then 150 with a 223 on deer...

Originally Posted By JeredMD:
75gr TAP ammo

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x247/jerede/PA270067.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x247/jerede/PA270063.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x247/jerede/PA270066.jpg

I routinely shoot deer out to 300 + yards with 223
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 8:17:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Where I am hunting 75-100 yards is max.I am in thick woods.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#41]
I've gone through the entire thread, and I did not see any mention of MK318.
I have a quantity of T556TNB1 and was considering this from a 16" bbl at ranges of @ 50yds max.
Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 11:59:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scott_R] [#42]

I've gone through the entire thread, and I did not see any mention of MK318.
I have a quantity of T556TNB1 and was considering this from a 16" bbl at ranges of @ 50yds max.
Any thoughts?

Here's an archive thread about it.

Even so, I think it is a terrible choice.  Unless the deer is behind a windshield.

Something with a Barnes bullet, or the heaviest soft point your rifle shoots accurately would be what I would use.

Just my opinion.

ETA quote
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 9:50:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Scott_R, I appreciate the link and the input.
Thanks for responding!
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 11:25:47 PM EDT
[#44]
I took a nice doe this PM with one of my AR's. Shot her at about 100yds with a 62 gr Barnes TSX handload out of a 20 inch barrel. She ran about 50 yds. the insides of the chest cavity were almost like jelly. I would prefer to use a larger caliber but due to medical reasons I can't shoot my larger calibers well any more. With the 5.56 it's all about shot placement and bullet sellection. JR
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:29:45 PM EDT
[#45]
so far I have 2 kills with the .223 I am using handloaded 64 grain ferderal fusions I picked up here, one shot in the head DRT one in the neck at 55 yards DRT takinf it to a game ranch tomorow will poist pics of the carnage later
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 12:17:43 AM EDT
[#46]
I recently high shoulder / neck shot a spike buck from about 75 yards with my 16 inch RRA middy.  I used hand loaded Hornady 75 gr BTHP, over a healthy and very accurate load of RX15, and the deer acted just like it had been shot with a traditional deer caliber.  The little buck fell down where it stood.  I was glad that the range was one where I was comfortable with a neck shot.  If I had lung / shoulder shot it, the meat damage on the off side would have been wasteful, as the fragmentation wound was devastating.  The same damage is true of SST and other quick to expand and fragment bullets, but they do a wonderful job of incompacitating deer and hogs without the need for tracking.

I have seen deer high shoulder shot with 308, 30-06, and 7mm Rem Mag perform the same way, drop, and then require a follow up shot.  I was actually thinking that a 55-60 gr V-Max or Nosler BT may be more reliable at producing the  nervous tissue damage in the neck / high shoulder area.  I also worry about over penetration with the 75 gr. Hornady bullets with cattle and horses nearby.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Shot a small doe at 50m last week with my 14.5" 1:7 M4ergy.  Ammo was Black Hills 5.56mm Mk 262, 77gr BTHP.  Round was a through in through high shoulder shot, destroyed both lungs.  Deer ran 100m and piled up in a flooded woodlot just inside the woodline.

CD
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 3:22:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Just read this entire thread and I've ordered a box of Barnes 55 gr.TSX to load up based on my 1 in 12"  barrel twist. Shot a doe in the neck on 12/1/12 at 35 yards and of course she dropped DRT with a broke neck. Meat in the neck was quite a mess and as mentioned in previous posts, just about any bullet would have resulted with the same result.

Another doe was in front of her which wasn't quite as big so when she lowered her head it gave me the opportunity to shoot the doe just above & barely in front of  her.  I shot her with a Black Hills 60 gr. SP factory round which I was anxious to shoot up   I almost used my S&W mod. 57 (41 Mag.) but I felt more confident with the .223 neck shot. I can't wait to try out the copper Barnes bullet!
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 11:26:30 AM EDT
[#49]
My daughter took her first deer with my AR-15. She took the button buck we mistook for a doe with a Federal American Eagle 50 grain Varmint Tipped ammo. The shot was 109 yards. Deer only ran 30 yards. The bullet entered the front of the shoulder and exited the other side. Took the heart out.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:05:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Took one with a 62 gr MK318 pulled bullet reload, in one side and out the other the size of a golf ball, deer ran about 40 yards and collapsed.  Easily over 200 lbs, had to use my truck to hoist it up.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page / 14
Tacked 223- Deer Hunting Rounds (Page 8 of 14)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top