Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:29:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#2]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
It's been four weeks since I was last in my hive.  That was when I added the third box.  In a month they have drawn out very little of the third box.  It has been hotter than hell here so I'm hoping it is just a dearth.  They have been collecting something that is very bright.  I found it in all three boxes.  Hummingbird feeder?  

I accidentally dropped a frame while going through the 1st box so I didn't get a chance to finish my inspection.  Glad I opted to wear gloves today, they were pissed  Lots of capped/uncapped brood, honey and pollen in the second box.  Hoping there are eggs down in the first.  

The local bee inspectors are doing free bee health inspections for the next couple of weeks.  I have a guy from the state coming out on the 8th to take a look and hopefully give me some pointers.  

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=90340
View Quote

Ugh, red honey... That is either the Humingbird feeder or candy as was pointed out. Either way it will be fine for them but would not be good for human consumption or for sale
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:59:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:
nm think I got my signals mixed up.

If you only have drone brood, that means she's a virgin queen, doesn't it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
nm think I got my signals mixed up.

If you think that they may have a Queen, especially one that has just emerged, I would start feeding now and go in as little as possible for the next couple of weeks.
The more that you go in, the more likely the chance that they could turn on her or you could roll her. If after a thorough inspection in a few weeks, you see either a queen or larvae/ eggs or capped brood, keep feeding them and hope for the best. If you don't see any signs of a queen in a few weeks, there is really not much you can do. If you by chance see a ton of Drone Brood, that would mean that you have a laying worker hive.

If you only have drone brood, that means she's a virgin queen, doesn't it?

A laying worker hive would have one or multiple bees laying unfertilized eggs which will be drones. I had one hive last year that became a laying worker hive and I ended up shaking them out away from the bee yard. Some people have sucess requeening them and most will report that they lose the new queens. For me it is not worth the agrevation and would not even try requeening them. A tell tale sign is nothing but drone brood in the hive.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:20:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:40:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:51:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#7]

So my whole harvest is lost unless they stop collecting it?  Then I can just avoid those frames when I extract?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cuttingedge:
It's been four weeks since I was last in my hive.  That was when I added the third box.  In a month they have drawn out very little of the third box.  It has been hotter than hell here so I'm hoping it is just a dearth.  They have been collecting something that is very bright.  I found it in all three boxes.  Hummingbird feeder?  

I accidentally dropped a frame while going through the 1st box so I didn't get a chance to finish my inspection.  Glad I opted to wear gloves today, they were pissed  Lots of capped/uncapped brood, honey and pollen in the second box.  Hoping there are eggs down in the first.  

The local bee inspectors are doing free bee health inspections for the next couple of weeks.  I have a guy from the state coming out on the 8th to take a look and hopefully give me some pointers.  

Ugh, red honey... That is either the Humingbird feeder or candy as was pointed out. Either way it will be fine for them but would not be good for human consumption or for sale

So my whole harvest is lost unless they stop collecting it?  Then I can just avoid those frames when I extract?

Yes, if they stop collecting it and you have frames that are not packed with "red honey", you could extract those frames.
It will be Interesting to hear what the local bee inspector has to say. Please let us know. A friend of mine had his apiary inspected a few days ago and he said that the inspector gave him some good tips but did not really want to talk bees basically the guy ripped through his hives, checked drone comb for mites, told him one was queenless and suggested getting rid of all of his second entrances. He did receive a certificate stating that his apiary was clean of disease and was in very good condition.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:33:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:35:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:39:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankSymptoms] [#10]
Helpful picture. This frame shows what capped brood, drone, pollen and honey cells look like.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:17:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:06:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
That's a GREAT photo!

View All Quotes

Helpful picture. This frame shows what capped brood, drone, pollen and honey cells look like.

http://honeybeesuite.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/brood-frame-cc-Maja-Dumat-labeled-1024x789.jpg

That's a GREAT photo!

Agreed. Saved for future reference

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:57:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Just found out another first year beekeeper about 6 miles away (as the bee flies ) had her hive swarm as well, limited numbers left as I am (not as bad, but she started out with a larger package). She has no queen cells

Asked her where her bees are from.

Be weird if they came from the same place..
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:23:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:34:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:24:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Yeah, it would be weird.  Likely not indicative of the problem though.

Does she have a Lang hive?

Did you ask her if she had any ideas about why her hive swarmed?

Sounds like she needs to order a queen pronto.

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:

Just found out another first year beekeeper about 6 miles away (as the bee flies ) had her hive swarm as well, limited numbers left as I am (not as bad, but she started out with a larger package). She has no queen cells

Yes, lang hive.

Havent got much out of her yet, just made contact myself. She is a friend if the Mrs.

One interesting tid bit us her bees were always easily pissed off she would say. Mine are docile as can be. In fact, mine are easier to wirk with without smoke or anythubg.

Yeah, on my phone
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I have 2 hives at my place.  Both hives are 2 deeps + 2 honey supers.  I harvested the lower honey supers from each hive yesterday.  Both of the upper honey supers were full.  Collected right at 6 gallons of honey, and I still have to render out the cut off caps.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Yes, lang hive.  

Havent got much out of her yet, just made contact myself. She is a friend if the Mrs.

One interesting tid bit us her bees were always easily pissed off she would say. Mine are docile as can be. In fact, mine are easier to wirk with without smoke or anythubg.

Yeah, on my phone

View All Quotes

Yes, lang hive.  

Yeah, on my phone

Her bees were from California as well.

She has no idea why the bees swarmed, but they have been bearding a lot lately she said.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By 338winmag:

I have 2 hives at my place.  Both hives are 2 deeps + 2 honey supers.  I harvested the lower honey supers from each hive yesterday.  Both of the upper honey supers were full.  Collected right at 6 gallons of honey, and I still have to render out the cut off caps.
View Quote
Nice!  I may get a similar sized harvest this year.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:59:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DUX4LIFE] [#20]

Huh..sounds like a bored inspector to me.  Or one that's tired of the whole "help the new beekeepers" thing.

That's a shame.

View All Quotes

Yes, if they stop collecting it and you have frames that are not packed with "red honey", you could extract those frames.
It will be Interesting to hear what the local bee inspector has to say. Please let us know. A friend of mine had his apiary inspected a few days ago and he said that the inspector gave him some good tips but did not really want to talk bees basically the guy ripped through his hives, checked drone comb for mites, told him one was queenless and suggested getting rid of all of his second entrances. He did receive a certificate stating that his apiary was clean of disease and was in very good condition.

Huh..sounds like a bored inspector to me.  Or one that's tired of the whole "help the new beekeepers" thing.

That's a shame.

Or just a real busy one.  In Illinois I think we have like 6 in the state that take care of all of the beekeepers.  We have mandatory hive registration and they try to inspect each hive biannually.  They are not State employees but "contract employees" so I am not sure how they get paid but I don't believe its much.  So they kind of have to work it as a part time job I guess.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:40:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Hanz:
View All Quotes

I melted down the caps last night.  /There was quite a bit of honey still mixed in with the wax.  I need to go out and see how much I got.  I also need to purify my wax.  It was pretty nasty looking last night.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#24]

You new beekeepers...Don't let all the supers get completely full. ALWAYS make sure the bees have extra room at the top.

If they run out of room, that can trigger the decision to swarm.  Once they make that flip in their mindset, it's damn near impossible to get them to switch it back.

View All Quotes

You new beekeepers...Don't let all the supers get completely full. ALWAYS make sure the bees have extra room at the top.

If they run out of room, that can trigger the decision to swarm.  Once they make that flip in their mindset, it's damn near impossible to get them to switch it back.

There was still some room in some of the frames.  They had it built out, but there was no honey.  Technically, they were full.  My final count was 26 quarts.

One other thing.  Down here beekeeping might be a little different.  Down here, from about the middle of June up into September, we really don't have much blooming.  In fact, if you pull a lot of honey off your hives they can starve in the middle of the summer.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#25]

There was still some room in some of the frames.  They had it built out, but there was no honey.  Technically, they were full.  My final count was 26 quarts.

One other thing.  Down here beekeeping might be a little different.  Down here, from about the middle of June up into September, we really don't have much blooming.  In fact, if you pull a lot of honey off your hives they can starve in the middle of the summer.
View All Quotes

This is very true in many places.  Very hard lesson for many to learn.  It took me several seasons to figure it out.  When I pull my honey this year I plan to start feeding the same day.  Just enough to keep them thinking they are not in a dearth so the queen doesn't shut down.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I would really like to know what people are treating with and what success thy are having with those treatments.
I will be treating with Oxalic Acid again starting this August and some of my Nucs will get Thymol Mite treatments as that is what the Queen breeder recommended I use. I am also going to be treating all hives for Nosema while feeding in the fall. Last season I did not see any adverse affects on the hives from the OA and no bee kill. I did however see a huge mite drop after all three treatments.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:28:59 PM EDT
[#27]
New page
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 6:58:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankSymptoms] [#28]
I found Her Highness! Dead center about 2/3 of the way down.

She wasn't surrounded by anybody, just sauntering around, stretching her legs after a long day of laying eggs.

There are 2 more bars showing some bits of brand-new wax on them!

The first is hard to see due to overexposure but it's there.

eta

The comb on one of the bars seems to have exceeded its limits; it bulges on one side.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:47:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#29]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:41:09 AM EDT
[#31]

Yay!  Nice to see your queen finally!  

View All Quotes

I found Her Highness! Dead center about 2/3 of the way down.

http://i.imgur.com/ZFbu6Pi.jpg

She wasn't surrounded by anybody, just sauntering around, stretching her legs after a long day of laying eggs.

There are 2 more bars showing some bits of brand-new wax on them!

The first is hard to see due to overexposure but it's there.

http://i.imgur.com/UDxX9Ie.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/MBqAooA.jpg

eta

The comb on one of the bars seems to have exceeded its limits; it bulges on one side.

Yay!  Nice to see your queen finally!  

Congrats!  It's always nice when you spot the queen.  Typically I don't see the queen, but I do I look for eggs.  If I see eggs I reassemble and button the hive back up.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#32]
I've been thinking about why mine may have swarmed, have an idea.

Early on when I put the comb that fell off on top of the bars on the bottom box, could that have seemed like a "floor" to the bees, and they didn't want to build past that in the bottom box? They never touched the bottom box at all: it was completely open.

Could that simple mistake have caused them to swarm?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:54:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#33]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:30:31 PM EDT
[#34]

I can't imagine that stopping them.   It's not like there were piles of it that they couldn't get around, right?

Here's the thing I don't get about the Warre hive and "building down."

When I do cutouts...either in trees or house walls or wherever, the comb sections are huge and long, and packed together with just enough bee space for them to get through.  But there are no divisions in those spaces.  When they build in the hollow of a wall, they fill up that space in a comb structure that is as continuous as they can make it.  

In your hive, you have a sort of "top bar" structure, right?  But when they get to the bottom box, they have to start over again on more "top bars"?

Am I understanding that right?

Because if that's the case, I would THINK the bees would be more likely to build "up" than down in that kind of hive, because in many ways, it replicates the behavior modifications in the same way as a Langstroth hive.  If it was one huge, open box, which is what I thought when you were describing it, they would be attaching to the sides and every which way, as they would in an open cavity.

I keep thinking about that behavior...and the logic behind the Warre hive...and I'm having trouble meshing that with what I know about bee behavior in boxes. I have not studied it the way you have, so maybe I'm not thinking right.

View All Quotes

Early on when I put the comb that fell off on top of the bars on the bottom box, could that have seemed like a "floor" to the bees, and they didn't want to build past that in the bottom box? They never touched the bottom box at all: it was completely open.

I can't imagine that stopping them.   It's not like there were piles of it that they couldn't get around, right?

When I do cutouts...either in trees or house walls or wherever, the comb sections are huge and long, and packed together with just enough bee space for them to get through.  But there are no divisions in those spaces.  When they build in the hollow of a wall, they fill up that space in a comb structure that is as continuous as they can make it.  

In your hive, you have a sort of "top bar" structure, right?  But when they get to the bottom box, they have to start over again on more "top bars"?

Because if that's the case, I would THINK the bees would be more likely to build "up" than down in that kind of hive, because in many ways, it replicates the behavior modifications in the same way as a Langstroth hive.  If it was one huge, open box, which is what I thought when you were describing it, they would be attaching to the sides and every which way, as they would in an open cavity.

I keep thinking about that behavior...and the logic behind the Warre hive...and I'm having trouble meshing that with what I know about bee behavior in boxes. I have not studied it the way you have, so maybe I'm not thinking right.

Kitty,  On a Warre style hive you add a box to the bottom of the pile when they need more room.  in a langstroth hive you add a box to the top of the hive when they need more room.  The only reason I can see that these hives are an advantage is that in any structure (tree/building) that has the large opening they start at the top and build down.  Once the wax is built then they work back up and down. I hope this makes sense the way I explained it to you.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#36]
I think looking at this from a Langstroth point of view Moving a couple brood frames to the lower box and replacing them with the empty bars would induce the bees to start in the lower box.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Kitty,

You are correct. Each box is basically it's own top bar hive.

I know they swear by the Warre hive in Europe, it's very new on this side of the pond.

All I can tell you for sure is that

1. When I installed the package, they went to the top box to start work.

2. On a couple comb that hit the bar on the next box down, they attached to that bar and I spotted a very small amount of wax on the bar in the next box. Too soon to tell if they intended to draw comb or not.

Will take a peek tomorrow and check on the Queen zit.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:40:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#38]

It does make sense...I mean, I understand what you're saying.

The thing I'm having trouble with is that this is NOT a large open structure.....right?  You've got a second box with "bars" instead of frames.  And that's the thing that's bugging me...you add boxes to the top of a Langstroth hive because that's the way the bees WANT to go inside a box hive structure.  If your Warre hive was one big open space, I can see them going down.  I just can't see, with the bars in the bottom box, that the structure would feel that much different to the bees, than it does in a Lang hive.  And I KNOW they want to go up, not down.

I wonder, if you removed a number of the bars in the bottom box, so it felt to them like they had more open space, if they would be more likely to go in and use that bottom box...then you could insert more bars.  

I guess my instinct is that what they thought was a "floor" was the bars on your bottom box.  

I realize I may not be making my thoughts clear.  But if you've ever worked with a Langstroth hive, and seen that they just won't hardly go back down into an empty box (which is why we flip the boxes in the spring) it might make more sense to you.  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DUX4LIFE:

Kitty,  On a Warre style hive you add a box to the bottom of the pile when they need more room.  in a langstroth hive you add a box to the top of the hive when they need more room.  The only reason I can see that these hives are an advantage is that in any structure (tree/building) that has the large opening they start at the top and build down.  Once the wax is built then they work back up and down. I hope this makes sense the way I explained it to you.

It does make sense...I mean, I understand what you're saying.

The thing I'm having trouble with is that this is NOT a large open structure.....right?  You've got a second box with "bars" instead of frames.  And that's the thing that's bugging me...you add boxes to the top of a Langstroth hive because that's the way the bees WANT to go inside a box hive structure.  If your Warre hive was one big open space, I can see them going down.  I just can't see, with the bars in the bottom box, that the structure would feel that much different to the bees, than it does in a Lang hive.  And I KNOW they want to go up, not down.

I wonder, if you removed a number of the bars in the bottom box, so it felt to them like they had more open space, if they would be more likely to go in and use that bottom box...then you could insert more bars.  

I guess my instinct is that what they thought was a "floor" was the bars on your bottom box.  

I realize I may not be making my thoughts clear.  But if you've ever worked with a Langstroth hive, and seen that they just won't hardly go back down into an empty box (which is why we flip the boxes in the spring) it might make more sense to you.  

I agree with some of what you have stated. I have a very good friend in NY whom is also a beekeeper. He has done over 40 cut-outs this season and through our conversations and seeing first hand how bees operate in "the wild" it is very evident that they prefer to work from the top down. In a langstroth hive, we manage them in the complete opposite direction and try and manipulate them to work from the bottom up. Although they typically will draw comb from the top of a frame to the bottom, think about how this is almost the complete opposite of how they operate. If and this is a big if, we were to leave the bottom bars out of our frames and put them in a double deep set-up, how do you think they would draw comb? Most likely they would do better but this would not make it easier for us "the Beekeepers". My friend and I talk about this very often and wonder if letting them work "their way" would be better for them and maybe we would not have as many issues. We are both set-up to try a few different hive configurations next year and both look forward to the results.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:40:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:44:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#40]
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:42:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rat_Patrol] [#41]

I just don't know how easy it is to move frames in the Warre hive.

View Quote
The idea with the Warre is that you work with boxes, NOT frames (combs). In theory anyway, there is never a reason to pull out comb (like I have done a couple times now) with a warre until you dis-assemble the box for honey harvest. You tip the box and see what you see from the bottom of the comb when you need to do an inspection.

ETA: The whole idea with the Warre is that you are providing a modular rotten out tree that never ends, and let them do their thing. Since they are always working down, its supposed to seem like the tree never ends. Even the size of the Warre was made a specific size to mimic a hollow tree. Warre originally said that a round box would be ideal, but manufacturing would be impractical.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:02:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:23:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Okay here's a question: In my top bar hive, there's a lot of brood near the entrance. Should I leave 'em there or move them back further into the hive? Is there any reason to move them?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:56:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Do bees ever "re-purpose" cells? For example, do empty honey cells become brood cells?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:59:06 AM EDT
[#46]

Do bees ever "re-purpose" cells? For example, do empty honey cells become brood cells?
View Quote
Yes they do.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#47]

This right here in blue..

That's what I've been pondering on the past couple of days, and that's what's made me start thinking that all the bars in the bottom box might seem like a floor to them, and MAYBE it would work better to open that up a little, and let them go down there, then install the bars.  

I think Dux has the way of it though...transferring some brood bars down there would encourage them to begin building in the lower box.  There is NO doubt about that.  They will not abandon brood.  

I'm not saying you need to do things differently next time.  Just hypothesizing about what might encourage them to go on downward when it's not a fully open cavity.  Something in my gut is saying that's part of the problem with that setup.  That they don't have that big open cavity.

Now...all of this could be bullshit, and your queen might have just had the genetics that made her want to vamoose.  

No way to know until you try things again.

But...all those bars...that's far more likely to seem like a "floor" I'm thinking, than the comb you had lying down there.

View All Quotes

I just don't know how easy it is to move frames in the Warre hive.

The idea with the Warre is that you work with boxes, NOT frames (combs). In theory anyway, there is never a reason to pull out comb (like I have done a couple times now) with a warre until you dis-assemble the box for honey harvest. You tip the box and see what you see from the bottom of the comb when you need to do an inspection.

ETA: The whole idea with the Warre is that you are providing a modular rotten out tree that never ends, and let them do their thing. Since they are always working down, its supposed to seem like the tree never ends. Even the size of the Warre was made a specific size to mimic a hollow tree. Warre originally said that a round box would be ideal, but manufacturing would be impractical.

This right here in blue..

That's what I've been pondering on the past couple of days, and that's what's made me start thinking that all the bars in the bottom box might seem like a floor to them, and MAYBE it would work better to open that up a little, and let them go down there, then install the bars.  

I think Dux has the way of it though...transferring some brood bars down there would encourage them to begin building in the lower box.  There is NO doubt about that.  They will not abandon brood.  

I'm not saying you need to do things differently next time.  Just hypothesizing about what might encourage them to go on downward when it's not a fully open cavity.  Something in my gut is saying that's part of the problem with that setup.  That they don't have that big open cavity.

Now...all of this could be bullshit, and your queen might have just had the genetics that made her want to vamoose.  

No way to know until you try things again.

But...all those bars...that's far more likely to seem like a "floor" I'm thinking, than the comb you had lying down there.

What I am thinking for next time is to have an extra box on the bottom that is empty, no bars just to help give them the idea they have more room.

Speaking of which, I need to check the hive in about an hour when I am done with work for the day.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#48]
A bear got into one of my nucs.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:10:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scorpionmain] [#49]
So, I contacted Fish annd Game and they gave me a Solar Powered box for an electric fence.
This pic was at the beginning of the install
It was very HOT out.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Check out these Rubber ball shotgun cartridges given to me by the Fish & Wildlife Department to engage bears with. They recommended being at around 30 yards (90 feet) for an effective shot.
That's way to close for me.
Deadly force would be the only way to go.
Ain't no way I am going to try this.

Page / 148
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top