Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Show Me your BOV (Page 4 of 33)
Page / 33
Link Posted: 12/29/2007 3:56:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Sometimes it is not what you drive but how you drive it,  We are diehard Jeepers, so a  bit prejudiced to them. I have seen lots of vehicles stuck, Around here the hummer owners are a bit egotistical, H2 and H3s are truck based and quite different than the Military Hummer.
 Jeeps are starting the status thing with their models now. My Jeep is 15 years old and needs a bit more love, but I could care less when the water is in it and the mud is on it.
Oh that was Jeeper vs hummer humer....
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 7:40:27 AM EDT
[#2]
WHere did you get the rack and how did you mount it?
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 10:24:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: heavy_308] [#3]
west fork posted a pic of Steyr-Pinzgauer ambulance in 6x6......I couldn't possibly think of a better BOV...air cooled, can sit all winter with no need to worry, and can pull a healthy load, ambulance box could be setup as command post or field hospital, while truck hauled back firewood, supplies...etc. If I could fit my6' 3'' 300lbs ass into one, I would have already has one of them or a mercedes Unimog in the garage fitting it up with goodies.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#4]
The driver's seat isn't all that bad for space, I'm close to your size and find it comfortable.  The passenger seat isn't nearly as generous though.  
Anyway, the puppies like it:
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 11:34:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By Westfork:
The driver's seat isn't all that bad for space, I'm close to your size and find it comfortable.  The passenger seat isn't nearly as generous though.  
Anyway, the puppies like it:
i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff266/buroak/Pinzgauer/P1000863Pinzgauerguards12-03-2007.jpg

Is that yours? What is the inside look like? Ja modfiy it , etc?
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 10:16:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Westfork] [#6]
Haven't modified it yet - came off a Swiss Army base just a few months ago.  It will be mainly a flatbed farm truck with the box used only occasionally as a camper.  Plenty of pictures out there if you search for Pinzgauer.  Great little trucks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 5:04:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Here is mine from australia,

89 Diesel patrol. 4.2l straight 6 with a turbo on the side. All mechanical no electrics to worry  about. 1500km range worst case fuel economy.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d72/aussie_extreme/P1020623.jpg

Link Posted: 1/2/2008 5:12:16 AM EDT
[#8]
i have but a single matchbox Hummer that has the smallest 50 cal on it...no ammo though
Link Posted: 1/3/2008 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By mgpatty:

Originally Posted By Boomer:

Originally Posted By Dragracer_Rob:

Originally Posted By jmhat98:

Originally Posted By XM21Nick:

Here's Mine

img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/Dragracer_Rob/Hummer.jpg
Looks great Rob but loose those tube steps. You'd be hung up on those in the first 20 feet offroad.

Nah. Keep the tubesteps, but lose the H2.

It'll be great for bugging out to the local mall along most of the other soccer mom rigs posted so far.

Thanks for your input.  Have a nice day.  

Look at the bright side, Pottery Barn might be having an awesome sale that day.

Wow...I guess there are a few Hummer Haters out there. Although a H2 might not be a idea bov if you were traveling over three hundred miles (if you need to travel over 300 hundred miles in a bov, any full sized rig wouldn't be my first choice), it does have a few  good qualities. It has good ground clearence, capable of hauling tons of equipment/supplies, its good offroad (flame away..), easy to work on, etc. I've own a fair number of trucks/suvs over the years and all of them had their flaws/problems . For example, the last Dodge pickup I owned was less than idea as a bov. It had poor gas mileage, wasn't that great offroad, and was plagued with mechanical problems. But here in the mountains of Kentucky, it got me where I wanted to go.  Same thing with the H2. It would get me to anywhere I needed to go. Alot depends upon the individual needs of the driver (such as bol) as to what would be a good bov. I guess the main  thing to remember was stated earlier in the thread, any bov is better than walking.

Not a Hummer hater here. I've logged a good number of miles in HMMWVs and respect them for the role that they were intended for. That being said, they are just too dang wide for the typical trails and overgrown roads found here in the PNW.

H2s and H3s, on the other hand... Get real. They are literally just Suburbans and Colorados with body kits. The H2 actually has poor ground clearance (breakover angle to be specific), limited storage space, and poor visibility. They are image vehicles. Yes, they would be better than walking. But so would a Toyota Corolla or any other vehicle. That does not mean that some choices are not better than others.

Out of curiosity, if you were evacuating more than 300 miles, why would you NOT want a full size rig? Why would a small rig be better?
Link Posted: 1/3/2008 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By GQtim:

89 Diesel patrol. 4.2l straight 6 with a turbo on the side. All mechanical no electrics to worry  about. 1500km range worst case fuel economy.
i33.photobucket.com/albums/d72/aussie_extreme/P1020623.jpg

That is cool as hell.  Any more pics?
Link Posted: 1/3/2008 4:53:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mgpatty] [#11]

Here's Mine

Looks great Rob but loose those tube steps. You'd be hung up on those in the first 20 feet offroad.

It'll be great for bugging out to the local mall along most of the other soccer mom rigs posted so far.

Wow...I guess there are a few Hummer Haters out there. Although a H2 might not be a idea bov if you were traveling over three hundred miles (if you need to travel over 300 hundred miles in a bov, any full sized rig wouldn't be my first choice), it does have a few  good qualities. It has good ground clearence, capable of hauling tons of equipment/supplies, its good offroad (flame away..), easy to work on, etc. I've own a fair number of trucks/suvs over the years and all of them had their flaws/problems . For example, the last Dodge pickup I owned was less than idea as a bov. It had poor gas mileage, wasn't that great offroad, and was plagued with mechanical problems. But here in the mountains of Kentucky, it got me where I wanted to go.  Same thing with the H2. It would get me to anywhere I needed to go. Alot depends upon the individual needs of the driver (such as bol) as to what would be a good bov. I guess the main  thing to remember was stated earlier in the thread, any bov is better than walking.

Not a Hummer hater here. I've logged a good number of miles in HMMWVs and respect them for the role that they were intended for. That being said, they are just too dang wide for the typical trails and overgrown roads found here in the PNW.

H2s and H3s, on the other hand... Get real. They are literally just Suburbans and Colorados with body kits. The H2 actually has poor ground clearance (breakover angle to be specific), limited storage space, and poor visibility. They are image vehicles. Yes, they would be better than walking. But so would a Toyota Corolla or any other vehicle. That does not mean that some choices are not better than others.

Out of curiosity, if you were evacuating more than 300 miles, why would you NOT want a full size rig? Why would a small rig be better?

Huumm...I guess a full-sized, quad cab pickup has a better breakover angle than a H2 I dont think that anyone has claimed, or would ever claim, that a Hummer H2 is the same as, or is as capable as a H1. As far as a Hummer H2 being just a Suburban with a body kit, that is inaccurate. Completely different animals. True they share some of the same parts, but they are tuned in a different manner. Drive both offroad and you'll see what I mean. As far as a H2 being built on a Surburban frame, true to a certain degree. The H2 frame is actually 7.2 inches more narrow and its 16 inches shorter than a Surburban ...189.9 inches to be exact. My question would be, so what? How long is a 2500 series crew cab? As far as limited storage space, I could probably live in the back of a H2 if the seats were folded down. Besides, if...and thats a big IF..I ever needed to bug out and haul away half of what I own I have other vehicles available. As far as visibility is concerned, I have excellent visibility out the front and to the sides. Visibility has never been a issue while I was wheelin'. As far as my choice of bov is concerned, I could never see myself needing to travel more than 150 miles to or from my bugout area/home. Unless it was Deep Impact, TEOTWAWKI situation. I feel quite comfortable that my H2 could handle any situation in the area where I live/travel.

If I had to travel more than 300 miles, I would want a smaller, more inconspicuous  vehilce, with better gas mileage. Something like a small Honda suv comes to mind. Lighter loads are faster, which is better. I definately wouldn't want to be hauling another vehicle/trailer. Besides being difficult to manuver, it would attract unwanted attention from the zombies.
Link Posted: 1/3/2008 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#12]
LOL at the debate as to whether or not an H2 is a good off-road choice.
Link Posted: 1/3/2008 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#13]
For you guys bashing the H2-H3's read the latest Four Wheeler magazine. They're testing both this month.
Link Posted: 1/3/2008 7:43:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mgpatty] [#14]
Thanks for the info XM21Nick. Linky to the article....

www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests/129_0710_2008_hummer_h2_sut_review/index.html
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 1:24:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BrianM4] [#15]
height=8

From the article listed above.

"It may not be a perfect machine, but it is hands-down the best fullsize out there, especially when it comes to wheeling."

I have to disagree. The new  style 3/4 ton Dodge Power Wagon. In my opinion is much better than an H2.
1st: It has solid axles front and rear!! Not unreliable IFS.
2nd: It is built on a HD 3/4 ton frame. Not a sized down half ton frame.
3rd: Has Factory Electric Lockers front and rear. Not just the rear.
4th: Has auto disconnecting front sway bar.
5th: Has a factory installed WARN HD winch. Only the H1 could compete that.
6th: Has heavy duty skid plates. Standard. H2 has skids. But the big H2 Logo skid is weak.
7th: Has a breakover angle of 25.5 inches. Which is better than the H2's 23.5LOOK HERE. I know it aint much, but somebody said a fullsize 3/4 ton pickup wouldent be better.
8th: It has solid axles front and rear!!

With that said. I'm in the process of building my F150. Which is coming along nicely. And I also drive a well built Jeep XJ.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/MN-Cherokee/P1010232.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/MN-Cherokee/P1010242.jpg
Takes me where I want to go.

Brian
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 2:23:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mgpatty] [#16]

Originally Posted By BrianM4:

From the article listed above.

"It may not be a perfect machine, but it is hands-down the best fullsize out there, especially when it comes to wheeling."

I have to disagree. The new  style 3/4 ton Dodge Power Wagon. In my opinion is much better than an H2.
1st: It has solid axles front and rear!! Not unreliable IFS.
2nd: It is built on a HD 3/4 ton frame. Not a sized down half ton frame.
3rd: Has Factory Electric Lockers front and rear. Not just the rear.
4th: Has auto disconnecting front sway bar.
5th: Has a factory installed WARN HD winch. Only the H1 could compete that.
6th: Has heavy duty skid plates. Standard. H2 has skids. But the big H2 Logo skid is weak.
7th: Has a breakover angle of 25.5 inches. Which is better than the H2's 23.5LOOK HERE. I know it aint much, but somebody said a fullsize 3/4 ton pickup wouldent be better.
8th: It has solid axles front and rear!!

With that said. I'm in the process of building my F150. Which is coming along nicely. And I also drive a well built Jeep XJ.

i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/MN-Cherokee/P1010232.jpg
i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/MN-Cherokee/P1010242.jpg
Takes me where I want to go.

Brian

I think you have your figures wrong on the break over angle of a H2 suv. The one you quoted was for a H2 SUT-the pic in the link is a SUT. The break over angle of a H2 suv is anywhere from 25.8 to  27.5 with the air suspension engaged.  Like you said, it aint much but both figures beat the Dodge Power Wagon.  As far as the new 3/4 Dodge Power Wagon being better....I respect your opinion, and you raised some valid points, but the editors of Four Wheeler magazine apparently disagree.
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 3:51:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Here's Mine

Huumm...I guess a full-sized, quad cab pickup has a better breakover angle than a H2

My full size Club Cab truck would not get high centered and stuck as easily as this:

I dont think that anyone has claimed, or would ever claim, that a Hummer H2 is the same as, or is as capable as a H1.

Of course not. Just like no one would bother to compare a Suburban or Trailblazer to a H1.

As far as a Hummer H2 being just a Suburban with a body kit, that is inaccurate. Completely different animals. True they share some of the same parts, but they are tuned in a different manner. Drive both offroad and you'll see what I mean. As far as a H2 being built on a Surburban frame, true to a certain degree. The H2 frame is actually 7.2 inches more narrow and its 16 inches shorter than a Surburban ...189.9 inches to be exact. My question would be, so what? How long is a 2500 series crew cab. As far as limited storage space, I could probably live in the back of a H2 if the seats were folded down. Besides, if...and thats a big IF..I ever needed to bug out and haul away half of what I own I have other vehicles available. As far as visibility is concerned, I have excellent visibility out the front and to the sides. Visibility has never been a issue while I was wheelin'. As far as my choice of bov is concerned, I could never see myself needing to travel more than 150 miles to or from my bugout area/home. Unless it was Deep Impact, TEOTWAWKI situation. I feel quite comfortable that my H2 could handle any situation in the area where I live/travel.

If I had to travel more than 300 miles, I would want a smaller, more inconspicuous  vehilce, with better gas mileage. Something like a small Honda suv comes to mind. Lighter loads are faster, which is better. I definately wouldn't want to be hauling another vehicle/trailer. Besides being difficult to manuver, it would attract unwanted attention from the zombies.

I would think that a diesel pickup would offer excellent utility and capability for any sort of bug out situation. Rugged, inconspicuous, decent fuel economy, higher likelihood of fuel availability, lots of cargo space, etc. You know, things that might actually be more useful than looking cool.

The H2 offers limited interior space for it's overall size. And as you and others have noted, it is also conspicuous, or in other words all about image. It is far from an ideal offroad machine. If it works for you, great. By your own admission there are better choices. That might be something to take into consideration for those of us without unlimited funds. That is all that is being said.
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 3:55:46 AM EDT
[#18]

For you guys bashing the H2-H3's read the latest Four Wheeler magazine. They're testing both this month.

That "article" reads like an advertisement. I quit caring about what Four Wheeler had to say about anything when they named a Lexus Four Wheeler Of The Year.
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 9:28:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GQtim] [#19]
height=8
Originally Posted By DernHumpus:
height=8
Originally Posted By GQtim:

i33.photobucket.com/albums/d72/aussie_extreme/P1020623.jpg

That is cool as hell.  Any more pics?

yep mine is a swb the long wheelbase is around 16" longer iirc.
They are much like the toyota landcruiser 80 it was designed as a rival to toyota. They run a much beefier axle, gearbox and xcase combo from nissans light truck range. the gearbox weights in around 400kg ht
She has "barn doors" on the back which are bloody usefull, small door is one person wide! if you got something long just leave that door open. the bigger side i built a fold down table for so you can make lunch load a magazine easily ect when stoped

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d72/aussie_extreme/Newtyres9-12-06002.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r71/Trail-rush/Mt%20Dissapointment/P1020497.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r71/Trail-rush/Toolangi/12th%20May%2007/P1020882.jpg

Its got more than enough room for 2 people for 2 weeks alone. Ive done it spent two weeks up in central australia with the missus was great.

things to be added now turbo got it just not fitted yet, front locker and a winch then a 55l water tank and she will be purfect
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Is that really the right angle to measure breakover angle?  I've always wanted to know what mine is.. so I went out and took some measurements on my Tacoma.  That angle with my measurements is 37.2 degrees!  I just figured it would be close to what the H2's was??

Ground to frame measurement (frame is the lowest point) is 18.5 inches,  Space between the tire patch contact is 110 inches.. if anyone feels like double checking my trig..
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 2:47:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BrianM4] [#21]
Yes. That is how you measure break over angle.

And I highly doubt the H2 SUT and H2 Wagon are much different.

Click Here!
Then click on H2, then Details, Then Specs and Dimensions.

Those are the specs straight from Hummer itself. Breakover angle is the same. No matter which H2 it is. The Power Wagon is better.

Brian
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#22]
My first bugout Vehicle, 2001 Nissan Pathfinder, 4X4 of course, and it has a 5sp manual tranny.  (sorry for the dealer photo ) Thinking in due time a brushguard on the front with a winch should do it up right.  Not going to lift it, the suspension on there is pretty hardcore and it has reasonable ground clearance (for now).  Anyway, enjoy!

Link Posted: 1/4/2008 7:14:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Avalon01] [#23]
Go start another thread about the H2 vs everyone else.

Sheesh.

If the H2 is too big, then my half-track is a monster.

The Pinz is cool. I like the box on back - how much can it hold?

Av.
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#24]
No picture at the moment. My only vehicle is a Chevy Silverado 2007 Classic 2LT 1500, extended cab, standard box, 5.3 liter FlexFuel, auto transmission, heavy duty trailering package, not a Z71 but has the skid plate, 4x4, auto-locking rear differential. Much better truck in the winter than my old 1995 Ford F150, 4.9 liter, manual transmission, long box, regular cab. The Chevy came with Wrangler S/T tires, though. I'd like to upgrade but there's no funds for that. So far, this winter, they've been fine.

GL
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 10:16:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mgpatty] [#25]

Click Here!

Those are the specs straight from Hummer itself. Breakover angle is the same. No matter which H2 it is. The Power Wagon is better.

Brian

Sorry, but you were, and still are WRONG....When in doubt, check the facts. Even the web specs that you linked show the breakover angle with the optional suspension (IE AIR) @ 27.5"
But dont take my word for it. Here are some more links that show the breakover angle of the H2....Look Here
Look Here
Once More
Please let this drop, or we can start a thread on GD forum. Not trying to hijack this thread, but a pet peeve of mine is inaccurate info.  You are entitled to a opinion, but please don't post inaccurate info just to try to prove a point.
Link Posted: 1/5/2008 3:21:46 AM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By Avalon01:

I thought you were joking about the half-track being your BOV. That thing would be extremely impractical.
Link Posted: 1/5/2008 3:29:37 AM EDT
[#27]

Click Here!

Brian

Sorry, but you were, and still are WRONG....When in doubt, check the facts. Even the web specs that you linked show the breakover angle with the optional suspension (IE AIR) @ 27.5"
But dont take my word for it. Here are some more links that show the breakover angle of the H2....Look Here
Look Here
Once More
Please let this drop, or we can start a thread on GD forum. Not trying to hijack this thread, but a pet peeve of mine is inaccurate info.  You are entitled to a opinion, but please don't post inaccurate info just to try to prove a point.

Unless every H2 is equipped with whatever the air suspension OPTION is, then he is still correct.

And not only that, but if we are going to get into optional and aftermarket equipment and accessories, the Powerwagon with it's much sturdier solid front axle is more friendly to being lifted and the breakover angle dramatically improved. The IFS on the H2 can only be lifted with some sort of Rube Goldbergian tinker toy/erector set contraption that only further degrades it's already weak nature.
Link Posted: 1/5/2008 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#28]

The Pinz is cool. I like the box on back - how much can it hold?

Av.

The GVW is about 8800 pounds.  The truck weighs about 5200 pounds without the box, maybe 6300 pounds with it.  Pictures of the inside of the box are a couple pages back in this thread.
Link Posted: 1/5/2008 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By DallasLooterShooter:
I'm lucky enough to have a pretty good selection of choice.

I have my Yukon, and have a receiver hitch bike carrier for the dirtbike so I can have both.  If things get too congested, drop off the bike and take off.

i72.photobucket.com/albums/i187/cland72/DSC00723.jpg

a767.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/121/l_df32d0b800c72887be547bbf788da9c6.jpg

Of course, if speed is a necessity, the govt announces they're dropping a nuclear device on DFW and I have 1 hour to create as much distance as possible from ground zero, I have my R1.  I'll only have my backpack and maybe a rifle over my shoulder, but she'll easily do 140mph as long as I've got the nuts to keep the throttle open.

a241.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/118/l_e48dce917e3e83d87cf7dbd700572588.jpg

140?
You aint even started yet!
170+
Link Posted: 1/5/2008 12:36:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mgpatty] [#30]

Click Here!

Brian

Look Here
Once More

Unless every H2 is equipped with whatever the air suspension OPTION is, then he is still correct.

And not only that, but if we are going to get into optional and aftermarket equipment and accessories, the Powerwagon with it's much sturdier solid front axle is more friendly to being lifted and the breakover angle dramatically improved. The IFS on the H2 can only be lifted with some sort of Rube Goldbergian tinker toy/erector set contraption that only further degrades it's already weak nature.

Last time......
In order of worst to best breakover angle, I'll try to make it as simple as possible...
SUT...23.5"
H2 SUV 25.8"
H2 SUV with air suspension engaged, which is standard depending on chosen package (think slt, sl, lx, gt, coupe, hatchback, etc. on other vehicles)....are you ready...27.5"
Nothing needs to be added, welded, or bolted on to get 25.8" on a standard H2 suv, or even 27.5" if you chose a given available package. This is the way they arrive fresh from the factory.

Link Posted: 1/5/2008 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Click Here!

Brian

Look Here
Once More

Last time......
In order of worst to best breakover angle, I'll try to make it as simple as possible...
SUT...23.5"
H2 SUV 25.8"
H2 SUV with air suspension engaged, which is standard depending on chosen package (think slt, sl, lx, gt, coupe, hatchback, etc. on other vehicles)....are you ready...27.5"
Nothing needs to be added, welded, or bolted on to get 25.8" on a standard H2 suv, or even 27.5" if you chose a given available package. This is the way they arrive fresh from the factory.

So you are basically agreeing that without optional equipment the various H2 models at best only equal the Power Wagon in breakover angle.
Link Posted: 1/5/2008 2:48:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Guys this thread is about BOV's, not whats better for Moab !
Link Posted: 1/5/2008 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Guys this thread is about BOV's, not whats better for Moab !

Truth be told, something that would excel in Moab would not be ideal as a BOV. No one is going to be bugging out over the Rubicon, either.

So let's hear your criteria for a BOV or a daily driver that can double as a BOV.
Link Posted: 1/5/2008 5:37:56 PM EDT
[#34]
I just got this International 4800 4X4 a few months ago to be my daily driver, work truck/dump truck. It also has a big winch on the front.

This may sound crazy but the thought has crossed my mind to take some scrap sheet steel I have laying around to wrap around the front to protect the radiator and motor from bullets and such in a SHTF. I would not keep it on the truck but have it so it attaches with a pins.

Right now I'm building the dump bed for it and stretching the frame.

Link Posted: 1/5/2008 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By C0Y0TE:
I just got this International 4800 4X4 a few months ago to be my daily driver, work truck/dump truck. It also has a big winch on the front.

This may sound crazy but the thought has crossed my mind to take some scrap sheet steel I have laying around to wrap around the front to protect the radiator and motor from bullets and such in a SHTF. I would not keep it on the truck but have it so it attaches with a pins.

img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/830706/YCXHN-100_0468.JPG

I'd love to find a crew cab version of this exact truck to build a 4x4 RV from. Sheet metal won't stop bullets, however. You may look at dropping the coin for some armor plated steel and making a louver style grille guard that's detachable. The louvers would allow air flow, and the armor plate would stop bullets.
Link Posted: 1/5/2008 6:18:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C0Y0TE] [#36]
I have some 1/2"-1" rusty scrap sheets of steel
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 12:38:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BrianM4] [#37]
height=8
height=8
Guys this thread is about BOV's, not whats better for Moab !h
So let's hear your criteria for a BOV or a daily driver that can double as a BOV. hinking.gif h
Now back to the topic at hand. Since I did post pics of my BOV in another post. Here is my pick for a good  all around DD/BOV.

For best bug out vehicle. I would still choose the Dodge Power Wagon.
1. It looks like a Normal Everyday Pickup. Does not draw attention. This is a something worthwhile in a bug out situation. Get it in white. Put a amber strobe on the roof. Wear a hardhat and you could probalby get through any roadblock.  I wish my Jeep was a little more inconspicuous, but I also use it for fun. Cant always have both.
2. It can be used like a normal everyday pickup. Hauling supplies or gear. It can haul a ATV or bike without a trailer. This can come in handy in a DD or BOV role.
3. It has equipment that is STANDARD, not optional that make it capable of running Moab or the Rubicon. Or any place that only a Wrangler Rubicon or modified truck could go. Doesent mean it has to. But it could. Locking FRONT AND REAR diffs. WARN 12K winch. FULL SKIDPLATES. ALL STANDARD. Factory Warrantied. In the immortal words of Burt Gummer, "If you need it and dont have it you sing a different tune."
4. It is built on a 3/4 ton frame. With 3/4 running gear. It is designed to tow trailers. Or plow snow. Carry dirt, graval, bricks, ETC. Whatever you need it to do.
5. It is available in two cab types. Regular cab. If its just you. Or Quad Cab if you need more room or need to haul around or bug out with your family.
6. And finally. You can get the Power Wagon for $42K with a manual tranny. And 43K with an Auto. And everything good is Standard. A base model H2 is 56K. And it doesent have half the equipment or capabilitie of the PW. The price only climbs to get marginally better.

For a BOV on a Budget. Jeep Cherokee hands down. But I may be a bit biased.here.I think this comes the closest.

Brian
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 3:29:15 AM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By C0Y0TE:

img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/830706/YCXHN-100_0468.JPG

If I had the space to park it, I would love to convert one of these to a single rear axle:

Link Posted: 1/6/2008 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#39]

<SNIP>

I agree completely. This makes the POwerWagon way superior over the H2 any day of the week. One big thing is simply cargo room. The H2 is sparse at best. Powerwagon has tons of space, this is ideal for carrying gear obviously. The H2 was never meant to be a MOAB contender by any means, it filled a niche, and that is basically of soccer moms and ad execs. The power wagon was meant to be a work horse. IMO, the comparison is apples to oranges. The only reason the H2 is even in this discussion is cuz its 4x4, thats it. Having 4x4 doesnt necessarily make a vehicle capable of doing great things. .02
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#40]
a Jeep, but next to it is a Ram/PW. I am getting a new engine put in it, the driveline is solid. It is a work truck, Firewood and when I lift it 4 "s, a winch and some extras , It will be a back up support vehicle for the jeep runs. i HABE A sGT THAT HAD AN h2...He got rid of it, it sucked gas, more than the F250 4X4 he replaced it with.
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 12:53:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BrianM4] [#41]
I figured I should also add this. Now, this is not just to bash Hummers. It just happens to have some Hummers in the pic. It was taken at our 2007 Jeep club run. We were having a course on properly removing stuck vehicles for our new members. With winches, straps and other recovery gear. The Hummer owners didnt even have a strap with them. All the D Rings in the world dont help without a strap. If we hadent been there they would still be stuck.

Just another point about what was stated earlier in this thread. The most important part is not the vehicle you have. The Important part is that you carry the proper equipment and know how to use the vehicle and equipment. A better equipped vehicle just makes it easier. With that said. A better vehicle can also make a bad situation worse if you dont know how to drive.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/MacGyver_YJ/MN-Jeep065.jpg

Brian
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#42]
I was looking at the PW for grins yesterday, is the Diesel an option or just the hemi?
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 1:02:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BrianM4] [#43]
Currently not an option. But I have heard that it may be available in the near future. That is probably the only reason I am holding off buying one. Because I know as soon as I do, they will release one with the Cummins in it. Just my luck.

Brian
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Heres mine, its equipped with personal CB, gas cans, sleeping bags and fold out bed when SHTF

...also, sprayed 360 in Rhino Linings, can basically drive it straight through a forest!

Byrd

Link Posted: 1/6/2008 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#45]

HELL YA, EAT MY DUST BITCHES
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By Libertyhillguy:
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/07._Mad_Max_Car_at_Silverton_Hotel%2C_Silverton%2C_NSW%2C_07.07.2007.jpg

]

Cool Car, I aways wanted one.
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 6:20:32 PM EDT
[#47]
height=8

Quote from Mad Max:
"The last of the great V8's"

Awesome car. I like the way that one looks beat up and used instead of new and shiny.

Brian
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#48]

Quote from Mad Max:
"The last of the great V8's"

Awesome car. I like the way that one looks beat up and used instead of new and shiny.

Brian

+ 1 there brother!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By JoshAR:

I was looking at the PW for grins yesterday, is the Diesel an option or just the hemi?

Currently not an option. But I have heard that it may be available in the near future. That is probably the only reason I am holding off buying one. Because I know as soon as I do, they will release one with the Cummins in it. Just my luck.

Brian

It wouldn't surprise me to see one of the new Cummins V6 or V8 diesel engines being developed for lighter duty trucks become an option in the Power Wagon within the next few years.

I'll just stick with my good old all mechanical, rock solid 6BT and add lockers and a winch should I so desire.
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#50]

I thought you were joking about the half-track being your BOV. That thing would be extremely impractical.

Nope. That picture is of my half-track.

Impractical? Easy to work on, lot's of parts, armored, lot's of cargo space, pintle mount for my 1919, and battle proven.

I off-road with it quite a bit, and if can get further across the terrain by me (corn fields) than any other vehicle I know.

I don't live in an urban area, lot's of fields cut by small streams, and a lot of mud.

It's the perfect vehicle.

Av.
Page / 33
Show Me your BOV (Page 4 of 33)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top