Link Posted: 1/6/2008 8:19:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice, BOV's
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 9:25:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boomer] [#2]

Originally Posted By Avalon01:

Originally Posted By Boomer:

Originally Posted By Avalon01:
If the H2 is too big, then my half-track is a monster.

I thought you were joking about the half-track being your BOV. That thing would be extremely impractical.

Nope. That picture is of my half-track.

Impractical? Easy to work on, lot's of parts, armored, lot's of cargo space, pintle mount for my 1919, and battle proven.

I off-road with it quite a bit, and if can get further across the terrain by me (corn fields) than any other vehicle I know.

I don't live in an urban area, lot's of fields cut by small streams, and a lot of mud.

It's the perfect vehicle.

Av.

I figured it was yours, just that you weren't serious about using it as BOV. I would think that spares for a 60+ year old vehicle aren't exactly easy to come by, it has a voracious appetite for fuel, probably uses gasoline, and would draw mucho attention. More of a novelty. But I can see where it could work for your terrain. Looks like a fun rig.

Maybe I should get a set of these:

Link Posted: 1/6/2008 11:15:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I did a tree job this last year and the guy had two of them half tracks. He was telling me he could still get reproduction parts for them.

The only thing I think would be better is to take 4-500 HP semi, install a transfer-case, live front axle, foam fill the tires, build a steel body out of 1/2" or 3/4" AR400 and bullet proof glass. You would have a truck that would do 100MPH+ and if you had 300 gallon fuel tank, it would travel about 2500 miles before running out.

Just thinking through the key board
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 11:38:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By C0Y0TE:
I did a tree job this last year and the guy had two of them half tracks. He was telling me he could still get reproduction parts for them.

People don't realise that there are MILLIONS of parts for them.

Hell, they are still making the tracks!

Av.
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 3:14:39 PM EDT
[#6]
She isnt the prettiest, but it will get me where I need to go with all my gear.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w194/burban89/013-2.jpg
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By Burban89:

i176.photobucket.com/albums/w194/burban89/013-2.jpg

Nonsense...she is beautiful.
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#8]
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo... some mods.

Link Posted: 1/7/2008 10:55:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Neez] [#9]
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#10]

The only thing I think would be better is to take 4-500 HP semi, install a transfer-case, live front axle, foam fill the tires, build a steel body out of 1/2" or 3/4" AR400 and bullet proof glass. You would have a truck that would do 100MPH+ and if you had 300 gallon fuel tank, it would travel about 2500 miles before running out.

A guy did something similar with a bulldozer one time. He was pissed off at his local govt for some zoning decision or whatever, and nutted up. He welded up an armor plated cab for his D6-sized bulldozer, even mounted a .50cal rifle in it. He went on a rampage through town, destroying multiple buildings. Nobody could stop him, and it wasn't til he high centered and shot himself that it was over.

eta-
Wikipedia link

found the information. Marvin Heemeyer, Granby CO circa 2004.

Link Posted: 1/8/2008 4:52:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dirtytoy] [#11]
Here's mine.
1980 Toyota P/U
33.12.5 tires
lifted 2 in with Old Man Emu springs.
Front axle: hydro assist steering, locker, bobby longs 30 spline chromo birfields, trussed and gusseted the whole axle including the knuckel balls, high steer and 1.25x 1/2in thick chromo tie rod and drag links

Rear axle: trussed, 4130 chromo axle shafts, e-locker, and track bar.
To much more to list.
gonna put a full length roof rack on it shortly.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q33/dirtytoy/Picture018.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q33/dirtytoy/Picture013-1.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q33/dirtytoy/Picture012.jpg
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 10:01:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shadow4Golf] [#13]

Just thinking through the key board

Coyote,

You're basically talking about the bolt on kits like being used in Iraq.  Somewhere I have pics of an IH tractor with a complete cab armor package.  Once I find them, I'll post them here.  I think they are on my currently inop laptop...
Link Posted: 1/10/2008 12:57:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VAPORTRAIL] [#14]
Heres mine.

Link Posted: 1/10/2008 1:28:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By Burban89:

i176.photobucket.com/albums/w194/burban89/013-2.jpg

That is a great representative of a good BOV.  
Lots of room
Lots of seating
Parts readily available
Simple
Proven
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 2:10:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zackjsimpson] [#16]

my 91 yota. I drive it all winter when the mustang is parked, I think for storage I'm going to try to find some 20mm ammo cans to bolt into the bed. Needs some gears though, the speedo is pretty far off with the 33's and its slow as molasses but I dont have much trouble getting much of anywhere offroad. I'd like to do a different bed style for it though, something tubular metal with more storage space than just a wooden flat bed allows
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 2:20:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Dirtytoy, I think I recognize one of your rigs.  You east of Olympia?
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#18]
my toyota FJ cruiser
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By BrianM4:
Currently not an option. But I have heard that it may be available in the near future. That is probably the only reason I am holding off buying one. Because I know as soon as I do, they will release one with the Cummins in it. Just my luck.

Brian

I think that there was an article in Diesel Power about a PW converted to diesel with a wrecked ctd. Pretty neat if you ask me.
Link Posted: 2/2/2008 1:05:15 AM EDT
[#20]
You guys seem to have a constantly shifting criteria for what makes a good bug out vehicle.  

It has to be big enough to carry 12 people, tow 140k pounds, but still small enough to fit down the smallest game trail.  It has to look inconspicuous and able to fit in with every day traffic, but it also has to be armored.  It has to have 800hp, but get 50mpg and be able to run off of gasoline, diesel, kerosene, jet fuel, and horse piss.  

It has to have 800" of ground clearance, but be stable enough it won't tip over on a trail, it has to be american and easy to get parts for, but new enough that you can drive it every day.  

Make up your minds.  

I can also tell you why they H2 was picked as a best vehicle by Four Wheeler, and it has nothing to do with advertising (although I could tell you some stories about advertising and magazines).  The H2 is capable enough to take offroad and do okay in most situations that an average person would encounter.  Average people don't go to Moab and try to climb boulders, nor do they try to see if they can ford a 20ft deep lake.  

What doesn't the power wagon have that the H2 does?  How about comfort, ride quality, style, gas mileage, etc.  Sure, it's got a solid axle, but there is a reason all of the manufacturer's have gone to IFS in these trucks, and it's because a solid axle rides like shit, especially in a 3/4 ton vehicle.  

I think you guys need to sit down and seriously evaluate what your BOV needs to be, and how it fits your budget and your plans.  If you live in a major city, and your bug out area is 600 miles away, you should probably get something that gets better than 14mpg and shakes your teeth out at highway speeds as it slings chunks of rubber off of those bias ply thornbirds.  

Do you need a 4wd that will climb up a 85degree hill to get where you are going?  No?  Then why have one?  It's cool to fantasize about having the ultimate offroad vehicle, but it's not practical.  

My advice?  My #1 concern would be fuel mileage first, above all others.  Sure, you may have a forty gallon tank, but it doesn't do you much good if your vehicle only gets 8mpg and you have no way of filling it back up.  Not to mention the fact that you don't keep the vehicle full 100% of the time.  

If you've got to go with a 4wd, and you don't have a large clan to take with you, I'd try and get an older toyota truck.  Very capable offroad and still get pretty decent gas mileage.  Jeeps will also work quite well for that criteria, although the gas mileage is a good bit worse.  

Big trucks work great in theory, but when actually practiced, they aren't practical in any situation that might occur.  If you have to travel long distances, it uses a ton of gas.  If you have to go offroad, it can't go down most trails.  If you have to take it through the mud, it's too heavy.  

My BOV?  An 06 Volkswagen Jetta TDI (turbo diesel).  Chuckle all you want, but it has plenty of room for four adults, a big trunk for carrying your junk (remember, you're not taking the entire house with you), and it gets 40-50mpg, depending on how you drive it.  A front wheel drive vehicle will do ok, traction wise, in conditions that are less than ideal (mud, snow, rain, ice, etc.), and while ground clearance can be a problem, I don't plan on taking it that far offroad.  With a full tank of fuel and three 5 gallon containers of diesel, I can go 1200-1400 miles if necessary, which is a lot farther than most of you can get.  

Remember, if you're bugging out, so are 95% of the rest of people.  Which means fuel is likely to be scarce.  Remember that as your number one priority.  Take it with you, and get a vehicle that is miserly with it.  I think you'll get alot farther that way.
Link Posted: 2/2/2008 1:10:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Another thing to consider is that, in my opinion, diesel vehicles will have a substansial advantage over gas vehicles.  Diesel stores longer, so you don't have to change out your stores near as often.  Diesel will be available long after the gas pumps have run out, due to the fact that our infrastructure runs off of diesel, not gasoline.  Trucks, trains, military vehicles, etc, all run on diesel.  Hell, even jets run on fuel that isn't that far from it.  

In a pinch, you can run vegetable oil (used or not), biodiesel, kerosene, Jet A, motor oil (used or not), and I have even heard of people running used transmission fluid (after it has been filtered and cleaned).  If you're in need of fuel to get from point A to point B, but can't get to a station, you could pull up behind the local burger joint and fill up with waste vegetable oil if you have to.  Sure, without running a heater, it has the chance to gel on you, but if you mix it with what diesel you have, it should be ok.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2008 4:36:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By EVIL5LITER:
You guys seem to have a constantly shifting criteria for what makes a good bug out vehicle.  

It has to be big enough to carry 12 people, tow 140k pounds, but still small enough to fit down the smallest game trail.  It has to look inconspicuous and able to fit in with every day traffic, but it also has to be armored.  It has to have 800hp, but get 50mpg and be able to run off of gasoline, diesel, kerosene, jet fuel, and horse piss.  

It has to have 800" of ground clearance, but be stable enough it won't tip over on a trail, it has to be american and easy to get parts for, but new enough that you can drive it every day.  

Make up your minds.  

It's not that the criteria for what makes a suitable BOV shifts, it's that there is not a solid consensus on what that criteria should entail in the first place. There are lots of differeing opinions on what constitutes a BOV. Some people have clearly put some thought into it, some rationalize their recreational offroad toy as a BOV, some think a fancy attention drawing SUV makes a fine BOV, other have to make do with whatever is practical for every day life, etc. Then we have to realize that people have varying needs, abilities, and constraints.

But I'm sure that at some level you understand all of that.

I can also tell you why they H2 was picked as a best vehicle by Four Wheeler, and it has nothing to do with advertising (although I could tell you some stories about advertising and magazines).  The H2 is capable enough to take offroad and do okay in most situations that an average person would encounter.  Average people don't go to Moab and try to climb boulders, nor do they try to see if they can ford a 20ft deep lake.  

What doesn't the power wagon have that the H2 does?  How about comfort, ride quality, style, gas mileage, etc.  Sure, it's got a solid axle, but there is a reason all of the manufacturer's have gone to IFS in these trucks, and it's because a solid axle rides like shit, especially in a 3/4 ton vehicle.  

I hardly doubt that even Four Wheeler would pick the H2 as their first choice for a true BOV. It just doesn't make sense. While I agree that it would do well enough for the situations most people are likely to find themselves in, it gets poor fuel economy, has limited storage space, draws too much unwanted attention, and costs a lot of extra money that could be far better spent for other preps. Simply put, there are a lot of better choices than any Hummer product save maybe an H1 made to blend in as some sort a .mil or emergency responder type of vehicle.

As for the supposed virtues of IFS, I put 186,000 miles on a GMC K2500 Suburban with IFS and I don't consider it have offered any better ride or handling qualities than does the solid axle Dodge Ram that I replaced it with. I fail to see how IFS offers better fuel economy or that IFS is more "stylish". And why in the hell that would even matter for a BOV? Are you going to be out pimpin' in your H2 rollin' on chrome dubs while bugging out?

Personally, I'd rather keep a bit lower profile.

I think you guys need to sit down and seriously evaluate what your BOV needs to be, and how it fits your budget and your plans.  If you live in a major city, and your bug out area is 600 miles away, you should probably get something that gets better than 14mpg and shakes your teeth out at highway speeds as it slings chunks of rubber off of those bias ply thornbirds.  

Do you need a 4wd that will climb up a 85degree hill to get where you are going?  No?  Then why have one?  It's cool to fantasize about having the ultimate offroad vehicle, but it's not practical.  

I agree. I think that the extensively modified 4WDs shown by some in this thread are quite impractical as a BOV. As I said earlier, no one is going to be bugging out over the Rubicon. Modifications to increase offroad performance sacrifice load carrying ability, vehicle stability, and reliabilty.

I don't have to worry about my Toyo Open Country MT radials slinging chunks of rubber off, either.

My advice?  My #1 concern would be fuel mileage first, above all others.  Sure, you may have a forty gallon tank, but it doesn't do you much good if your vehicle only gets 8mpg and you have no way of filling it back up.  Not to mention the fact that you don't keep the vehicle full 100% of the time.  

If you've got to go with a 4wd, and you don't have a large clan to take with you, I'd try and get an older toyota truck.  Very capable offroad and still get pretty decent gas mileage.  Jeeps will also work quite well for that criteria, although the gas mileage is a good bit worse.  

Big trucks work great in theory, but when actually practiced, they aren't practical in any situation that might occur.  If you have to travel long distances, it uses a ton of gas.  If you have to go offroad, it can't go down most trails.  If you have to take it through the mud, it's too heavy.  

So get a full size truck with diesel engine. Mine gets 15mpg city, 20mpg highway. With it's 35 gallon tank, that is a 525-700 mile cruising range. Throw in a few fuel cans and you could be looking at a 1,000 mile range. Add a 30-100 gallon auxilliary fuel tank and look out. Mine can and has gone down any trail that I might need to in a bug out situation. Again, no one is going to be bugging out over the Rubicon trail. Deep mud might or might not be a problem. But it is certainly going to fare far better than a Volkswagon Jetta or any other typical car.

My BOV?  An 06 Volkswagen Jetta TDI (turbo diesel).  Chuckle all you want, but it has plenty of room for four adults, a big trunk for carrying your junk (remember, you're not taking the entire house with you), and it gets 40-50mpg, depending on how you drive it.  A front wheel drive vehicle will do ok, traction wise, in conditions that are less than ideal (mud, snow, rain, ice, etc.), and while ground clearance can be a problem, I don't plan on taking it that far offroad.  With a full tank of fuel and three 5 gallon containers of diesel, I can go 1200-1400 miles if necessary, which is a lot farther than most of you can get.  

Remember, if you're bugging out, so are 95% of the rest of people.  Which means fuel is likely to be scarce.  Remember that as your number one priority.  Take it with you, and get a vehicle that is miserly with it.  I think you'll get alot farther that way.

If that's what works for then that is fine. That doesn't mean that it's going to work for the rest of us, though.

I live in an area where wind storms and floods are regular occurances and earthquakes and volcanic eruptions are possibilities. I might have to travel on roads littered with storm debris, covered with compact snow and ice, or through standing water or deep snow. Experience has taught me that a regular car just doesn't cut it.

Another thing to consider is that, in my opinion, diesel vehicles will have a substansial advantage over gas vehicles.  Diesel stores longer, so you don't have to change out your stores near as often.  Diesel will be available long after the gas pumps have run out, due to the fact that our infrastructure runs off of diesel, not gasoline.  Trucks, trains, military vehicles, etc, all run on diesel.  Hell, even jets run on fuel that isn't that far from it.  

In a pinch, you can run vegetable oil (used or not), biodiesel, kerosene, Jet A, motor oil (used or not), and I have even heard of people running used transmission fluid (after it has been filtered and cleaned).  If you're in need of fuel to get from point A to point B, but can't get to a station, you could pull up behind the local burger joint and fill up with waste vegetable oil if you have to.  Sure, without running a heater, it has the chance to gel on you, but if you mix it with what diesel you have, it should be ok.  

I agree with your choice and reasoning for diesel 100%. It's why I did quite a bit of research on the matter and purposely sought out the specific truck that I have.
Link Posted: 2/2/2008 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#23]
height=8
I hardly doubt that even Four Wheeler would pick the H2 as their first choice for a true BOV. It just doesn't make sense. While I agree that it would do well enough for the situations most people are likely to find themselves in, it gets poor fuel economy, has limited storage space, draws too much unwanted attention, and costs a lot of extra money that could be far better spent for other preps. Simply put, there are a lot of better choices than any Hummer product save maybe an H1 made to blend in as some sort a .mil or emergency responder type of vehicle.

As for the supposed virtues of IFS, I put 186,000 miles on a GMC K2500 Suburban with IFS and I don't consider it have offered any better ride or handling qualities than does the solid axle Dodge Ram that I replaced it with. I fail to see how IFS offers better fuel economy or that IFS is more "stylish". And why in the hell that would even matter for a BOV? Are you going to be out pimpin' in your H2 rollin' on chrome dubs while bugging out?

When has Four Wheeler magazine ever picked a bug out vehicle?  I realize that is the current discussion, but they are picking a vehicle that fits the greatest criteria, not the one that will be able to withstand the most gun fire.  I didn't say anything about IFS being stylish or getting better fuel economy, I was saying that is why the H2 was picked over the Power Wagon.  

When you start publishing a magazine, or even start writing for one, then you can decide the criteria by which to judge it.  In their testing criteria, the H2 beat the Power Wagon.  Tough titty.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2008 11:58:03 AM EDT
[#24]

When has Four Wheeler magazine ever picked a bug out vehicle?  I realize that is the current discussion, but they are picking a vehicle that fits the greatest criteria, not the one that will be able to withstand the most gun fire.  I didn't say anything about IFS being stylish or getting better fuel economy, I was saying that is why the H2 was picked over the Power Wagon.  

When you start publishing a magazine, or even start writing for one, then you can decide the criteria by which to judge it.  In their testing criteria, the H2 beat the Power Wagon.  Tough titty.  

I never said that Four Wheeler has picked a BOV. I said that were they to, I doubt it would be an H2. I gaurantee that their criteria would change substantially if they had to pick a vehicle to bet their lives on. On road comfort, luxuries, and what is coolest to be seen rolling around in would not have as much weight in their choice. Frankly, I think one of their top picks would probably be something like a Toyota Landcruiser (no, not the FJ Cruiser).

Not only that, but Four Wheeler's Pickup Truck Of The Year and Four wheeler Of The Year tests have become a bit of a laughingstock in the offroad community just for the reason you list. They don't focus on the core issue that their magazines purports to: Offroad performance. Further, their tests only compare new or substantially revised models, so you never see an honest comparison of everything available.
Link Posted: 2/2/2008 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#25]
We run with a Jeep club, Tons of technical help, Also by running the local trails I have alot of places that you need a Jeep to get too and that is just in NJ-PA. Jeeps are all over and parts are available for every model tha has been made and reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 2/2/2008 1:02:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chooy] [#26]
I guess I will share my "BOV" LOL!!!!  That makes me laugh!  See... Living on a 700 square mile Island makes buggin' out kind of tuff.

I have a Ford F-250 4x4 Diesel Pick up.  ( Ever seen one?)

I also have a Honda CT 70 trail bike with a backpack rack.

I really need a BOAT!!!

ETA spelling correction
Link Posted: 2/2/2008 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#27]
My new BOV! Old one's on page 2. Who said you can't bug out on(in) the Rubicon?

Link Posted: 2/2/2008 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By fosters:
So Boomer what exactly do you consider a BOV?
just so I can put mine up against it

I think a BOV needs to be durable, simple, plenty of cargo space and hauling ability, reasonably fuel efficient, reasonably competent offroad, and supportable.

To me a vehicle that would best fit that criteria would be:

• 3/4 or 1 ton extra cab or crew cab pickup truck or SUV

• Diesel engine with a mechanical fuel system (lift pump and injection pump)

• Manual transmission for reliability, simplicity, and ability to be compression started

• 4WD

• Solid front axle (unless a truly heavy duty, offroad worthy independent system such as that found on the HMMWV)

• As few electronics and electrical systems as necessary for the vehicle to be operated

• Domestic brand produced in large numbers so replacement parts are obtainable

For the last last few years I considered replacing our 1994 GMC K2500 Suburban with a pickup and decided to do so with a vehicle that could double as a BOV.

After doing a litle research, I came to the conclusion that the Cummins 6BT with a P7100 injection pump was/is likely THE most reliable, longest lived diesel ever put into a light duty truck. Period. So off to do a little more homework on the 1994-early 1998 Dodge trucks that these motors came in.I have never been particularly keen on Chrysler products, but Dodge is the only truck the Cummins comes in and a custom one off swap into another brand does not seem like the way to maintain simplicity, reliability, and ease of finding replacement parts. The manual transmission in this era of trucks in the NV4500, a decently stout 5 speed with overdrive. It has an issue with the 5 gear coming lose (truck can still be driven, however) for which there are a few remedies. The NV241 transfer case has a good reputation as do the Dana 60 front ends and Dana 80 rear ends. While the drivetrain is outstanding, I'd say the rest of the truck is so-so, about on par with other brands of the same era. And like any other brand, it could use a little help here and there.

I ultimately ended up with a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab, Cummins 6BT, NV4500 5 speed, NV241 transfer case, Dana 60 front end, Dana 80 rear end with limited slip, and 4.10 gears. I have since addressed a number of normal maintenance items and  added stronger extended length control arms for the front suspension, a heavy duty track bar, a heavy duty clutch, and rebuilt the transmission with a mainshaft designed to eliminate the the possibility of the 5th gear coming lose. Future plans are to turn up the motor just a little bit and likely install a kit the replaces the unit bearings on the front axle with servicable wheel bearings and lockout hubs.

The truck is not some kind of offroad champ. However it handles inclement weather and the rough logging roads I typically encounter here in the PNW quite well. In reality no one is going to be bugging out over the Rubicon or running the Baja 500. The vehicles that excel in those environments are highly specialized and would be inapt as a BOV.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/SD70MAC/Dodge%20Ram/DodgeRam.jpg

The CJ-8 being towed behind the truck is more of hobby but would more than likely come along in the event of a bug out.

How much attention would you attract pulling another rig? Are you sure that is such a good ideal in a BO situation? Furthermore, I would think that it wouldn't be that manueverable, combined with the long wheelbase of the Dodge. It would also suck the gas pulling such a heavy load in the mountains. Sometimes you've just got to pick which vehicle is best all-around in your particular area and stick with it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2008 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Its a diesel... I will get nearly the same mileage pulling that little CJ8 as not.  

Not sure what folks mean by "it will draw a lot of attention in a SHTF situation."  Any vehicle moving is likely to draw attention.  Personally I would love to have the Dodge as my BOV.  Beats the crap out of my Chevy 2500 gasser....
Link Posted: 2/2/2008 9:43:22 PM EDT
[#30]
I'll toss mine in the mix, why not.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/mithuth/Jeep/IMG_2444.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/mithuth/Jeep/Geo004.jpg

Since these pics were taken, I've picked up some 33x12.5 BFG AT, and ditched the POS GY MT/Rs (worst tires EVER!)
Link Posted: 2/4/2008 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By mgpatty:

So Boomer what exactly do you consider a BOV?
just so I can put mine up against it

I think a BOV needs to be durable, simple, plenty of cargo space and hauling ability, reasonably fuel efficient, reasonably competent offroad, and supportable.

To me a vehicle that would best fit that criteria would be:

• 3/4 or 1 ton extra cab or crew cab pickup truck or SUV

• Diesel engine with a mechanical fuel system (lift pump and injection pump)

• Manual transmission for reliability, simplicity, and ability to be compression started

• 4WD

• Solid front axle (unless a truly heavy duty, offroad worthy independent system such as that found on the HMMWV)

• As few electronics and electrical systems as necessary for the vehicle to be operated

• Domestic brand produced in large numbers so replacement parts are obtainable

For the last last few years I considered replacing our 1994 GMC K2500 Suburban with a pickup and decided to do so with a vehicle that could double as a BOV.

After doing a litle research, I came to the conclusion that the Cummins 6BT with a P7100 injection pump was/is likely THE most reliable, longest lived diesel ever put into a light duty truck. Period. So off to do a little more homework on the 1994-early 1998 Dodge trucks that these motors came in.I have never been particularly keen on Chrysler products, but Dodge is the only truck the Cummins comes in and a custom one off swap into another brand does not seem like the way to maintain simplicity, reliability, and ease of finding replacement parts. The manual transmission in this era of trucks in the NV4500, a decently stout 5 speed with overdrive. It has an issue with the 5 gear coming lose (truck can still be driven, however) for which there are a few remedies. The NV241 transfer case has a good reputation as do the Dana 60 front ends and Dana 80 rear ends. While the drivetrain is outstanding, I'd say the rest of the truck is so-so, about on par with other brands of the same era. And like any other brand, it could use a little help here and there.

I ultimately ended up with a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab, Cummins 6BT, NV4500 5 speed, NV241 transfer case, Dana 60 front end, Dana 80 rear end with limited slip, and 4.10 gears. I have since addressed a number of normal maintenance items and  added stronger extended length control arms for the front suspension, a heavy duty track bar, a heavy duty clutch, and rebuilt the transmission with a mainshaft designed to eliminate the the possibility of the 5th gear coming lose. Future plans are to turn up the motor just a little bit and likely install a kit the replaces the unit bearings on the front axle with servicable wheel bearings and lockout hubs.

The truck is not some kind of offroad champ. However it handles inclement weather and the rough logging roads I typically encounter here in the PNW quite well. In reality no one is going to be bugging out over the Rubicon or running the Baja 500. The vehicles that excel in those environments are highly specialized and would be inapt as a BOV.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/SD70MAC/Dodge%20Ram/DodgeRam.jpg

The CJ-8 being towed behind the truck is more of hobby but would more than likely come along in the event of a bug out.

How much attention would you attract pulling another rig? Are you sure that is such a good ideal in a BO situation? Furthermore, I would think that it wouldn't be that manueverable, combined with the long wheelbase of the Dodge. It would also suck the gas pulling such a heavy load in the mountains. Sometimes you've just got to pick which vehicle is best all-around in your particular area and stick with it.

It really depends on the scenario.

First, not only does the Jeep provide a secondary means of transportation once we have arrived at wherever we are bugging out to, but it doubles as a trailer during the evacuation process allowing me to carry even more supplies or tools or items I wish to have with me or simply save.

I doubt that a Jeep in tow is going to draw much if any undue or unwanted attention during a simple bug out or evacuation. The only time that flat towing the Jeep hampers manueverability of the much larger pickup is when there is a need to back up. It is difficult if not impossible to back up a vehicle being flat towed or towed on a dolly. But with a little foresight it is really not too difficult to avoid situations that necessitate backing up, and for the times that absolutely require it the Jeep can be unhitched and operated independently or just abandoned in a matter of minutes.

However if one was operating on a continuing basis within a region where the SHTF, then the Jeep probably would draw negative attention and hamper manueverability.

The truck is also a diesel and towing the Jeep does not have as negative an impact on it's fuel economy as it would for a comparable gas powered truck or SUV.

I can agree that sometimes you do just have to pick one vehicle to stick with, which is why I chose the Dodge in the first place for the reasons I previously listed.

I just saw a flood damaged but salvagable and good running 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Club Cab with the Cummins 6BT turbo diesel and NV4500 5 speed sell for $4,000. What a great base to start in building a dedicated true BOV type of rig by gutting it of every non essential option, stripping out nearly all of the electrical system and replacing it with a custom dash with simple mechanical gauges and manual switches.
Link Posted: 2/4/2008 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Thinking of trading the Jeep for one of these
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r284/quickgoose/pig2.jpg
Link Posted: 2/4/2008 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#33]
low ground clearance though ..
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 12:38:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bobo423] [#34]

89 Chevy S10 Blazer. 4x4, 4.3 liter V6, Roof rack. i am going to install some off road lights. Maybe a winch.
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 1:20:03 AM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By Unsafe6:
i147.photobucket.com/albums/r284/quickgoose/pig2.jpg

love the pig :)
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By Unsafe6:
i147.photobucket.com/albums/r284/quickgoose/pig2.jpg

Sweet

Build for comfort not for speed.

Link Posted: 2/5/2008 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#37]
know a guy that has one, roomy inside, good in a crash
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 3:31:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm a little hesitant to post my BOV with the apparent aversion towards Hummer’s but none the less, here is mine. I've recently installed front and rear electric Auburn lockers. It has to be the single best improvement I've done.

The M101 trailer has since been primed with POR-15 and then painted gloss black.

Link Posted: 2/5/2008 3:44:53 PM EDT
[#39]
This along with a private strip in the neighbors backyard, I can move out at a high rate of speed, just can't take much with me.
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By renegade79:
I'm a little hesitant to post my BOV with the apparent aversion towards Hummer’s but none the less, here is mine. I've recently installed front and rear electric Auburn lockers. It has to be the single best improvement I've done.

The M101 trailer has since been primed with POR-15 and then painted gloss black.

superioralarms.net/Pictures/DSC03735.JPG
superioralarms.net/Pictures/Hummer3.jpg
superioralarms.net/Pictures/DSC03013.JPG
superioralarms.net/Pictures/DSC03011.JPG

Yours is the real thing though....I love the H1's.
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#41]
your is a hummer, the soccer mom' s drive a pimped tahoe
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Renegade-  That IS a Hummer.  The suburban based yuppie mobile ain't close to what you have.  Nice rig and trailer, jealous I am.

Yet another great vehicle GM bought out, yuppified and killed off.  Thanks for nothing GM....
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#43]
I thought they were built by Am General??? or is that a subsidy of GM???
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 7:41:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: renegade79] [#44]

Originally Posted By TheWind:

While I’m inclined to agree, lol, I wish people wouldn’t get so caught up with “brand loyalty”. I can ride with a lot of different groups (i.e. jeeps, zuks, h2’s, etc.) and have a good time. But there is nothing more annoying then riding with people who do nothing but talk shite about how jeeps are best or zuks or whatever. It would be nice if everyone could have a good time and realize we all have the same sport or hobby in common instead of bashing each other. Moreover, I don’t really believe it matters what we drive as long as we can get off-road and have a good time. I’ve been off-roading with H2’s and while they have there weaknesses’ they have there strong points as well. There isn’t one prefect vehicle out there for ALL the different variations of terrain(not to mention application); they each have their pros and con’s.
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#45]

I thought they were built by Am General??? or is that a subsidy of GM???

They are made by AM General. GM bought the marketing rights for the Hummer name.
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 8:26:50 PM EDT
[#46]
I think the HMMWV chassis would be great if it were a few hundred pounds lighter and used a modern diesel engine.  A new four cylinder engine would put out the same amount of power, if the vehicle were 1200 pounds lighter and you adjusted the numbers.  The mil already had a company take 800 pounds off using composites, but I believe they retained the CTIS and heavy duty wheels.

The H1 Alpha was definitely a step in the right direction, but the mil can't buy modern common rail diesels. The higher injection pressures (26K PSI) will crack the injector, if they use JP8 instead of ULSD.
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By sgtb:

superioralarms.net/Pictures/DSC03735.JPG
superioralarms.net/Pictures/Hummer3.jpg
superioralarms.net/Pictures/DSC03013.JPG
superioralarms.net/Pictures/DSC03011.JPG

Yours is the real thing though....I love the H1's.

Agreed, looks to be nicely outfitted and actually used as well.

I'd love to get an H1 in a similar configuration.
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 11:23:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mgpatty] [#48]

Originally Posted By TheWind:

While I’m inclined to agree, lol, I wish people wouldn’t get so caught up with “brand loyalty”. I can ride with a lot of different groups (i.e. jeeps, zuks, h2’s, etc.) and have a good time. But there is nothing more annoying then riding with people who do nothing but talk shite about how jeeps are best or zuks or whatever. It would be nice if everyone could have a good time and realize we all have the same sport or hobby in common instead of bashing each other. Moreover, I don’t really believe it matters what we drive as long as we can get off-road and have a good time. I’ve been off-roading with H2’s and while they have there weaknesses’ they have there strong points as well. There isn’t one prefect vehicle out there for ALL the different variations of terrain(not to mention application); they each have their pros and con’s.

Big ++++++1
I am so tired of hearing how this brand, or that brand, lifted, unlifted, etc, etc is better than or worse than mine or yours. If some folks would just take a step back and listen to themselves they would see how they sometimes sound. If people want to "trash talk" or pit one brand against another, then they're plenty of forums out there solely for brand loyalty. I, as well as most people on here, come to this forum to exchange ideals and share with others their own personal gear selections. Constructive criticism is one thing, trashing another persons choice of BOV just because you personally don't like the brand or type because of a preconceived notion is another thing completely. Funny how some people say that people who drive H2s or H3s are "egotistical" or  have "attitudes", but the one's who I've seen on this thread with "attitudes" and inflated egos don't drive Hummers (oh, that's right they're not really all hummers, some are pimped out suburbans,tahoes and colorados~~~mall crawlers). It reminds me of all the "armchair commando" comments that sprout up when people start talking about what firearms they choose to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 11:59:59 PM EDT
[#49]
http://www.scarfg.org/images/93yukon_plow.jpg

1993 GMC Yukon
Winter Daily Driver
305,000 Miles on the Odometer

Backup/Summer BOV is a '04 Jeep TJ that needs a lift

Next generation BOV I'd like to get something that doesn't use spark plugs so I can fuel it with the brews of my home biodiesel experiments.
Link Posted: 2/6/2008 4:55:04 AM EDT
[#50]
that is a nicely set up hummer...

as too the H2/3 debate of the last couple pages, it sounds like another form of AR vs. AK... what ever YOU are most comfortable with will probabally work better for YOU than something else even if the other choice may be a better product for the job at hand. do not most of us suggest this when asked for advice on buying a first handgun, etc.?

as too MY feelings on hummers, I love H1s, but agree with the sentiments above about the diesel motor and lighter overall weight. I(personally) would feel comfortable selling an H2 in order to purchase or trade for something(probabally settle for a beater, and some more bulk ammo and beans/rice) else, just not my cup of tea. however, I must also confess though i wouldn't really ever consider an H3 a serious hardcore offroad rig, i do really like the looks of them, and would probabally drive one...

Page / 33
Show Me your BOV (Page 5 of 33)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top