Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/26/2010 6:48:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 6:52:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Depending on the situation

SHTF yeah absolutely

TEOTWAWKI time is going to be is it day, or night?

My 2
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 6:54:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I wear one now but doesn't matter if the SHTF. Time will be measured by the moon cycles, winter, ect... Not a good chance I will be trying to catch the 5:00 train.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 6:56:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Might come in handy for a few tasks. Doesn't add much weight to the gear and a decent self winding watch isn't that expensive.

Everyone should have a timepiece in their shtf gear.

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 6:57:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:06:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I think a watch would be important for several things.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:20:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:33:19 AM EDT
[#7]
It wouldn't be an absolute necessity, however, they psychological advantage of knowing the exact time("holding on to a part of your old way of life") and being able to coordinate times with others regarding a number of scenarios like hunting and gathering, search and rescue, as well as the advantages for impromptu chemistry including but not limited to cooking, tanning, medical needs (pulse, contractions of labor, respiration rate etc), would be helpful.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:46:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I almost never wear a watch at work as I am too rough on a good watch and my everyday watches don't look good enough for work.  I just look at my phone when I need to know the time.

In SHTF situation, I would absolutely have a watch and I even have an extra old timex in my BOB.  I should replace the batteries in it however now that you make me think about it more as it would suck to have a backup watch in there and have the battery go bad.

In SHTF, keeping track of date and times might be important to arange times to meet or just for helping keep your sanity.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 8:02:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In SHTF, keeping track of date and times might be important to arange times to meet or just for helping keep your sanity.

Agreed.

During the last couple of extended power outages/ice storms my staff checked in with me every two hours, on the hour. That would have been difficult to coordinate without a way to keep time.

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 8:07:18 AM EDT
[#10]
we may wear watches but our children will be using sundials and lunar movement to tell time as did our forefathers...
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Citizen Eco-Drive. Solar powered. Will run a year off the battery. Needs only 3.5 hours of sunlight for a full charge and 1 minute for a days run time worth of power. Citizen lab testing claims still 80% battery charge capacity after 20 years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eco-Drive#Secondary_battery_life_expectancy
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#12]
A watch can help the Skilled woodsman with many tasks...

Especially navigation and travel estimation to better budget his time throughout the day.

Can also be used as a Compass, Comparing distance to time traveled for Moving objects you may be observing, especially good for knowing estimated time down to minutes/seconds daily tasks consume.

If you know it takes exactly X amount of time for "Insert repetitive daily task in here" Then you can better use/conserve your time overall and become more efficient.

Or if X amount of time is needed for a buddy to make a water run and he has exceeded that time by 3x, then you know something is wrong and quietly go looking for him.

But that's just my .02 on time management in the wild/SHTF conditions.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 8:35:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, who uses a watch just to tell time anymore?

Digital compass. Some now have GPS. You can use it as a stop watch to time things, which I do all the time.  Some even provide weather data, altitude, and on and on.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I have always had a watch on I feel like I'm forgeting something if I'm not wearing one,so yeah I will have one on if for nothing else just the comfort factor as someone else stated.However I think the timer would be a great tool also and now most watches have that feature built in.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 8:46:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I think a watch is important for an end of world SHTF, G-Shock Casio models, atomic, solar with spare lithium batteries stashed. Taken care of. Costco had an excellent SHTF model for about $80 a few years ago.

But for the economic SHTF we are well into, probably not necessary.

I never wear any jewlery or watches.

Here's the timer I use all the time, mostly for bid sniping. One at each PC. Very fast to enter data.

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yeah, who uses a watch just to tell time anymore?

Digital compass. Some now have GPS. You can use it as a stop watch to time things, which I do all the time.  Some even provide weather data, altitude, and on and on.  

i have one of the casio watches that has the built in compass, altimeter, thermometer, barometer, etc.  i don't wear it daily.  what i wear daily is a solar atomic casio.  

in many SHTF events and especially TEOTWAWKI, much the same as when i go camping, the watch will become irrelevant.  i will know what needs to be done and what i want to do and i'll do it.  when i'm tired, if i can, i'll sleep.  my kids are like clockwork any way, so i doubt there'd be much variance in our schedule, at least not in a short term event.

a watch would be helpful for meeting up w/ people or changing an observation shift, etc.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#17]
I keep breaking watches and do not wear one anymore.

Out hunting and fishing we do not use watches as we are to busy.

To many things to do if shtf.
Be to busy getting food and other things.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Citizen Eco-Drive. Solar powered. Will run a year off the battery. Needs only 3.5 hours of sunlight for a full charge and 1 minute for a days run time worth of power. Citizen lab testing claims still 80% battery charge capacity after 20 years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eco-Drive#Secondary_battery_life_expectancy

This.  I love my Eco-Drive.

A good time piece is a tool.  You can even do some basic navigation with a watch.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Seems like they would be good for things like setting up watches... er shifts, "wake me up in four hours" or "meet back here in an hour" or "you'll know something's wrong if I'm not back in two hours" etc?
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Without a watch, how will Karate Man know if it's time to kick ass or not?

I really don't know how much they'll be needed if the SHTF, but I've worn a watch for almost 40 years.  I don't see myself stopping just because it's the end of the world.

ETA:  Damn, I'm getting old and set my ways.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#21]

I don't wear one now since I just use the cell, but I've got a 10 year battery life GShock I keep around for particular times and shtf is one. The only reason I can see to need one is to coordinate with others on schedules and meetings. Otherwise jobs will take as long as they take to get done and it's easy enough to use the sun to get a general understanding of the time of day to go by. Long term will come down to sundials made in various locations for people or going without.

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Especially navigation and travel estimation to better budget his time throughout the day.

Can also be used as a Compass, Comparing distance to time traveled for Moving objects you may be observing, especially good for knowing estimated time down to minutes/seconds daily tasks consume.

If you know it takes exactly X amount of time for "Insert repetitive daily task in here" Then you can better use/conserve your time overall and become more efficient.

Or if X amount of time is needed for a buddy to make a water run and he has exceeded that time by 3x, then you know something is wrong and quietly go looking for him.

All of this. Coordination with other individuals. Keeping time and judging time was of primary importance to man for the last 3000 years hence one of the biggest scientific goals across all societies and eras was accurate time keeping. Only in the digital age have we taken it for granted.

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Exactly. I'd say they're a very important tool.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 12:54:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Shit. Now I want one of those

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think a watch would be important for several things.

I'm thinking a timer would be important so you could do things like time how long you were processing your green beans. But actually 'telling time'? Dawn, mid-morning, Noon, mid-afternoon, dusk, sunset and midnight are good enough designators for me.

ETA: OTOH, I could see the argument that if you're bothering to have a timer, might as well have a watch with it.

What if you need to meet someone?  What are you going to say?  "I'll meet you mid-morning by the big oak tree?"  Mid-morning could be anywhere from 3 am-9 am, depending on the person.  "Dawn" isn't an accurate moment in time, it covers over an hour.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I like a watch and calendar.  I don't follow moon phases.  TEOTWAWKI it may not matter.  SHTF: long is that?
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Hamilton Khaki Officers Automatic

Keeps excellent time and needs no battery changes.

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I think a watch is important for an end of world SHTF, G-Shock Casio models, atomic, solar with spare lithium batteries stashed. Taken care of. Costco had an excellent SHTF model for about $80 a few years ago.

But for the economic SHTF we are well into, probably not necessary.

I never wear any jewlery or watches.

Here's the timer I use all the time, mostly for bid sniping. One at each PC. Very fast to enter data.

http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pRS1C-2265458w345.jpg

No flame I have a watch like this but the whole atomic thing it comes from something that is man made so if it is destroyed then what? Not like there was always a wave of atomic things out there that where just for your watch/ clock to get the correct time!  Just a thought!! Hell mine does not even work when I'm in a place for a week that is another time zone.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 12:19:45 AM EDT
[#29]
I watched a whole documentary on the invention of the spring driven clock once.  It was quite the advancement.  Individuals alone out in the woods can probably get along without a timepiece, but people, working together, need them, and always have.

First thing I do in the morning is put on my watch.  Last thing at night is to take it off.  Once upon a time I used to wear one 24/7, but these days it seems like I can't sleep until it's off my wrist.  Like a switch.

SHTF?  Lessee, It's O dark-thirty(ish).  You know dawn is around 6.  How long do you hunker before moving on?  Dark as a bitch, no stars (or maybe you're hiding in a building)  Look at the watch.  Is there time to catch a few Z's?  Look at the watch.

You're scavenging.  Outside, you know by looking at the sun just how far it is til dark, because, of course, you're Crocodile Dundee.  But you're in a basement, or in a library, or old grocery store.  Can't see the sun, right?  Or maybe there's just trees everywhere and you don't feel like climbing.  

How far are you from a given point?  Maybe you know.  Maybe it's easier to count steps, but maybe it's just easier to count time.  You were an hour from base camp, it's been two hours and base camp remains at large?  Maybe it's time to turn back 'cause you missed it.

A watch tells you, in a general sense, where you are and how far you are from a given location.  And does it in a much more precise fashion than dead reckoning.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 1:21:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Don't have one now, don't want one then.

I do on the other hand, feel the need for an alarm clock.  But only to get my ass up early to get things done before it gets too hot out.....still won't care what time it is though.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 1:54:42 AM EDT
[#31]
I have a couple nice watches, but I rarely wear them. My job does not allow me to wear jewelry on my hands or wrists. It probably would not hurt to have a couple wind-up watches though, just for teotwawki. Still, the pioneers didnt need a watch, so I reckon I wont either.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 3:40:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Need a watch? No.  Want a watch? Yes...  I mean really - without a reliable watch, my sextant is basically useless!

I think that most gear decisions are based on size/weight vs usefulness considerations.  Since a watch is so small and light, if it is at least occasionally a little useful, I'd like to have one with me for a SHTF party.

If you look at most of your gear, very little of it falls into the "need it" category...  most of it falls into the "want it" category.  "Need it" gear is life and death gear under prevailiing conditions for all individuals.  In my mind, "need it" gear is gear that will keep you warm in cold climates (hypothermia kills), keep you cool(er) in really hot climates (hyperthermia kills too), and help you to get drinkable water (dehydration kills) - to name a few.  "Want it" gear is gear that makes your life easier or better.

Which specific pieces of gear are need it vs want it is environment specific.  You probably won't need or want a machette in a desert or a parka in Florida (in the summer).
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 5:26:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Need a watch? No.  Want a watch? Yes...  I mean really - without a reliable watch, my sextant is basically useless!

I can still have sex without a watch.

This post got me to thinking. I wear a watch so I will have one and that is how I voted.
Does one really NEED a watch? probably not, but it's nice to have.

I have noticed a lot of people don't wear watches and then I got to looking around and I can see why.
I have a clock in my car & truck, on my gps, a few in my house, on my cell phone, bottom right corner of my computer screen, on the TV, plus when I have the news on, its usually on the left corner of the screen... the list goes on.

I wear an old Omega Seamaster:

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 5:35:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  I love my Eco-Drive.

A good time piece is a tool.  You can even do some basic navigation with a watch.

Nav, coordinate movements, etc. Many things to do with a timepiece. I have one as well,  helluva nice watch.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 6:23:04 AM EDT
[#35]
It was not the compass or the sextant that allowed for accurate navigation, while they were great strides forward in technology, it was the first accurate time piece that allowed men to navigate with any kind of precision.  Without a reliable method to measure time, navigators were forced to guess as much as navigate.

Knowing when to meet is as important as knowing where to meet.  Knowing what time it is can be important in knowing when to start to pack up a job rather than be caught out in the dark.  There are a lot of uses for a watch besides knowing when you need to punch the clock for work.

Cell phones get their times transmitted to them from the nearest tower, they do not have a clock in them.  Service dies, so does your "watch".  Car dies or has to be abandoned, there goes your dash clock.  A lot of the clocks we use in our day to day lives are dependent on outside sources.  A watch is your own, be it battery or mechanical.

I always wear a watch, and have several mechanical watches as well.  I do not see this changing any time soon, no matter what the state of the world.

stasiman
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 6:57:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Seems like if you wear and use one now then you'll probably wear and use one after SHTF and vice versa. If you're used to going throughout your day without knowing the exact time right now then it won't be a big deal when everything is in the pooper. Me personally, I'll be wearing a watch.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:00:52 AM EDT
[#37]
A watch in shtf in a very important.
But it is probably a good idea to have a sundial as well, as we all know that electrical and mechanical things do break.

A good sundial can do much more then tell time. I am not an expert, but I think a good sundial can also be used to find your location.

http://www.helios-sundials.com/sundials-pictures/reise-sonnenuhr-san-franzisco-icon.jpg
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:05:28 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm naked without my watch. I've got a nice little collection and enjoy wearing them. My SHTF go-to watch is my Citizen Eco-Drive Nighthawk. It's solar-powered and has some calculation functions that might come in handy. Mostly, I just like how it looks.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm naked without my watch. I've got a nice little collection and enjoy wearing them. My SHTF go-to watch is my Citizen Eco-Drive Nighthawk. It's solar-powered and has some calculation functions that might come in handy. Mostly, I just like how it looks.

http://www.watchzworld.com/images/BJ7005-59E.jpg

OK, that definately is a bad-ass watch.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#40]
double post
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
we may wear watches but our children will be using sundials and lunar movement to tell time as did our forefathers...

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm curious what people think about watches and SHTF. Are they a necessity or a hindrance? Somewhere in between?

I personally don't have need for a watch but maybe I'm missing something. I'd like to hear others' thoughts on the matter.

I find them useful.  For instance, someone might say "Hey, can you meet me in an hour?" or "Can we meet at three o'clock?"  Without a watch, it would be hard to do so.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 10:25:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Will need it to help with timing of when it is "Safe" from "Sun Sensitive" Mutants and / or Vampires.

Think Omega Man .  Plus good to have for navigation and for setting maintaining your cycles for chores and mental health.

MING the Merciless
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#44]
i think in short term emergencies, a watch will be important to coordinate things with others. For example if you were communicating using ham radios, etc, time will be critical so you can actually talk without continuously monitoring things. Also I think time will be useful for simple things like cooking, medical stuff, night guard duty, etc. On a long term back to basics scenario, I think it becomes less critical although still useful. I am one of the watch liking guys so would wear one regardless but I think everyone will want one in a shtf.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#45]
7 years active army.......never take it off till it dies.......would go nuts without it
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 3:41:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Haven't worn one in years, probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have one though. Everytime I turn around this place costs me money.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#47]
i use my watch now to estimate how far i've walked  at a certain pace, how long till dusk or dawn, when to meet people, etc.

at my last job i was one of the few people who wore a watch, everyone else looked at their phone to tell time.

useful for many things. not absolutely required, but very helpful.

if you wear one now i expect you'd continue to wear one post SHTF. of you don't wear one, same thing.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 12:18:09 AM EDT
[#48]
To check the time with your phone, you:
1. free at least one hand.
2. retrieve phone from wherever the hell you keep it.
3. activate phone backlight by flipping open or whatever
4. observe clock.

To check the time with a watch, you:
1. look at wrist
2. observe watch face.

I work with my hands alot.  A Lot.  rummaging around for a phone is a pain in the ass.  craning my neck and/or twisting my body looking for a stationary clock somewhere is a pain in the ass.  glancing at my wrist is painless and quick.  Worst case scenerio, I have to reach over with the off hand to light the face, which gives off a fraction of the glow of a cell phone.  Until they figure out how to implant chronographs in the retina, I'll stick with a watch.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 6:00:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I haven't worn one in years and no longer own one.  Frankly, it's something I've grown used to doing without and don't give it a second thought.

I guess having one around might be a good idea, but since I don't wear one, it would probably just end up lost somewhere.

i have a clock on my cell phone and only really use it to keep track of what time to be at work and the likes, as well as using it as my alarm clock. i rarely ever look at it in my off work life. i mean if it's to the point that your setting up round the clock security shifts and need to be up at a certain time or need to make a rondevous or something sure i can see where it would be very helpful. just a natural disaster or something of that sort not so much...

when i was a kid we used to loose power at my parents house for hours and sometimes days on end on a pretty regular basis. light the keroseen lamp and or some candles if it's after dark, time of day didn't really matter...

i dunno maybe i should look into a watch may be handy, but like waldo i gave up wearing one years ago and personally i don't much care for wearing any extra adornments anymore(though at one point in history i had 13 piercings only 4 if which were in my ears as well i routinely wore spike studded dog collers, gauntletts, bracelets, and spiked boots). i still love the punk rock and hardcore music but it's hard to be grey when you sparkle like a chromed christmas tree...

K.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Lemme see...all of you guys who insist you'll be safe on your farms..how you going to time your gaurd watch rotations without a watch?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top