Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
To check the time with your phone, you:
1. free at least one hand.
2. retrieve phone from wherever the hell you keep it.
3. activate phone backlight by flipping open or whatever
4. observe clock.

To check the time with a watch, you:
1. look at wrist
2. observe watch face.

I work with my hands alot.  A Lot.  rummaging around for a phone is a pain in the ass.  craning my neck and/or twisting my body looking for a stationary clock somewhere is a pain in the ass.  glancing at my wrist is painless and quick.  Worst case scenerio, I have to reach over with the off hand to light the face, which gives off a fraction of the glow of a cell phone.  Until they figure out how to implant chronographs in the retina, I'll stick with a watch.

If you reverse your watch so the face is on the inside of your wrist, you can even look at it while holding a rifle or pistol.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I dont wear one now, but I have a solar powered G-Shock..

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 3:58:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't worn one in years and no longer own one.  Frankly, it's something I've grown used to doing without and don't give it a second thought.

I guess having one around might be a good idea, but since I don't wear one, it would probably just end up lost somewhere.

i have a clock on my cell phone and only really use it to keep track of what time to be at work and the likes, as well as using it as my alarm clock. i rarely ever look at it in my off work life. i mean if it's to the point that your setting up round the clock security shifts and need to be up at a certain time or need to make a rondevous or something sure i can see where it would be very helpful. just a natural disaster or something of that sort not so much...

when i was a kid we used to loose power at my parents house for hours and sometimes days on end on a pretty regular basis. light the keroseen lamp and or some candles if it's after dark, time of day didn't really matter...

i dunno maybe i should look into a watch may be handy, but like waldo i gave up wearing one years ago and personally i don't much care for wearing any extra adornments anymore(though at one point in history i had 13 piercings only 4 if which were in my ears as well i routinely wore spike studded dog collers, gauntletts, bracelets, and spiked boots). i still love the punk rock and hardcore music but it's hard to be grey when you sparkle like a chromed christmas tree...

K.

[hijack]
I remember when my best friend first came to work for me (didn't know him then) wearing black lipstick, black painted nails and spiked hair.  Didn't wanna hire him, but one of the other employees vouched for him.

Day two he shows up for work with a dog collar padlocked to his neck and he's lost the key.  

The face of the customer that walked in the door as I had him laying across a small anvil so I could beat that lock off with a hammer and chisel shall be burned into my eyes for all of eternity.

Now, he's married, has three kids and installs fire alarms and security systems for a living.  Freaking Ozzy Nelson

[/hijack]

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 4:20:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Lemme see...all of you guys who insist you'll be safe on your farms..how you going to time your gaurd watch rotations without a watch?

I think I would take an alarm clock first .  If I wanted to be hunting before dawn, I don't need to stay up all night, wake up 2 hrs early or oversleep.
Kids with fever, problem farm animals, it's nice to be able to sleep knowing you will be up in a few hours.
Similarly if I wake up I like to look at the clock to see if it's time to get up or go back to sleep.  I don't like just laying in bed (alone at least)

As far as a watch, I tend to time tasks.  If the field is half planted, I double the time to see when I will finish.  Rarely is this critical, and it my be due to me being an engineer and allways thinking in precise terms.  But often it does help.  Ditto if you can head home for lunch when it is ready (hence the dinner bell.)

Cooking, canning, and tempering metals all require timing.  Somewhat true for medicine, though it's probally more our obsession with recordkeeping.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I keep breaking watches and do not wear one anymore.

Out hunting and fishing we do not use watches as we are to busy.

To many things to do if shtf.
Be to busy getting food and other things.

No watch. Dont need one.
Only thing matters around here  is the tides.
If I  am running a boat, a chronometer will be important.
I Dont own a boat, and  there are a lot better pilots around here than me, so I dont have to worry about  driving.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For example if you were communicating using ham radios, etc, time will be critical so you can actually talk without continuously monitoring things

Yep, not only for keeping in contact with someone else, but also for knowing when ham networks operate, knowing when atmospheric conditions are favorable for communication with any particular part of the world, knowing when shortwave stations are broadcasting specific programs on any particular frequency, etc.

Being able keep schedules also conserves battery power - You only turn on the radio when you're actually using it.

It can also help preserve OPSEC, by keeping your radio transmissions to the bare minimum.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#7]
digital or analog?
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
digital or analog?

my first digital watch was one of the early ones in the '70s with the red LEDs that only came on when you pressed the button. they even had one that only lit up when at the right angle.

in the '80s the LCD watches came out, with stopwatch and countdown timer functions,

i don't think i've owned a digital watch for at least 25 years, i just prefer analog.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

A watch can help the Skilled woodsman with many tasks...

Especially navigation and travel estimation to better budget his time throughout the day.

Can also be used as a Compass, Comparing distance to time traveled for Moving objects you may be observing, especially good for knowing estimated time down to minutes/seconds daily tasks consume.

If you know it takes exactly X amount of time for "Insert repetitive daily task in here" Then you can better use/conserve your time overall and become more efficient.

Or if X amount of time is needed for a buddy to make a water run and he has exceeded that time by 3x, then you know something is wrong and quietly go looking for him.

But that's just my .02 on time management in the wild/SHTF conditions.

this x10, every military survival manual on the planet discusses a laundry list of important skills that are possible with a watch, mainly finding direction. bu also yor pace over particular terrain to make ranger beads more accurate, a sign of danger if expected company doesnt arrive within x hours the list goes on and on.

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 9:23:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 4:41:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:37:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Sunnto Observer = emergency wrist compass. Always have it on, always have a compass.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 9:15:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think I would take an alarm clock first .

You can use a watch as an alarm clock, and a much more compact package.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 10:02:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
i have a clock on my cell phone and only really use it to keep track of what time to be at work and the likes

When the power's out, try keeping your cell phone running for more than a week!

Contrast that with watches that'll run 7-10 years on the same battery (or have self-winders or solar cells that'll keep them running indefinitely).

Also, if there's no cell service after TSHTF, carrying a cell phone seems kind of pointless...
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I'll chime in with my 2 cents worth.
I would want a decent watch, because I am going to assume that it is not the complete collapse
of human civilization. Unless the whole world gets hit with an EMP, you should
live long enough to see the other end of whatever "S" hit the fan. That is when it would
start to become necessary again.
Along the way there will be things that watches would be useful for, but not
absolutely indispenceable. Why not tip the odds in your favor?
In any case, buy a quality watch and you will not be sorry. If you rarely (or don't) need one, don't worry
about it and move on. Humans have survived without one before, and I suspect that we will
again if necessary.
(Personally I think too many people are obsessed with time. They rush about their day and fill it with
trivialities, and it is almost a status symbol to be able to say all the things that you do every day.
You have so much to do that you must be an important person. I much prefer a less cluttered and
more casual speed of life. That way you can actually enjoy your life)
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I haven't worn one for several years.

And if the SHTF, I doubt I'll really need one.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Have a Suunto Vector now. Has a crapload of uses including a very nice digital compass. Battery change is user friendly, batteries are cheap, I have a lot stocked. Lots of .mil guys and whatnot use the same watch everyday.

Nuff said. I love my watch.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The problem I have with this thinking.... cause I think the same way about different things....

I always think that the thing I am going to want or need come SHTF....
... is whatever I think right now that I won't want or need.

For example, if I plan on using gasoline... I will only be able to get diesel,
if I plan for diesel, I will only be able to get propane.....
Just seems like that is how it always works out for me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:29:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The problem I have with this thinking.... cause I think the same way about different things....

I always think that the thing I am going to want or need come SHTF....

... is whatever I think right now that I won't want or need.

For example, if I plan on using gasoline... I will only be able to get diesel,

if I plan for diesel, I will only be able to get propane.....

Just seems like that is how it always works out for me.

You have a point.

And the more I think about it, it would make sense to have a decent watch for the simple reason that you're probably gonna need a way to time something, or meet somebody in a half hour, or whatever.......

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top