Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 20
Posted: 11/29/2009 7:28:10 PM EDT
Latest Update: 05-26-2010

Future therapy for my arm will be covered under my local hospital's patient assistance program. They're also covering my September 17th ER bill from when I hurt my back during physical training and was forced to go to the ER instead of my family doctor (which was some bullshit, but whatever). Today is a good day, that plus finding out I'll probably be able to go on unlimited ride alongs as soon as my form comes back and I may get a waiver of tuition for when I return to the academy, so I won't have to pay for anything but the uniforms and books. Today is a good day.

Update: 05-10-2010

I went to the doctor again on April 26th for x-rays (they had to be done 3 days prior to my appointment this time because they were to be read by a radiologist), then back on April 29th to get the word from the doctor himself. He lifted my weight restriction, so I’m able to do 100% weight bearing exercise and therapy now. I got another script for eight more weeks of OT to continue stretching out the muscles and regain my range of motion (ROM). My humerus and elbow socket are now completely healed. The surgery that had been mentioned briefly to me on March 4th sounded terrible once it was explained in detail; they would go in on the front and back of my upper arm, remove bone fragments, scar tissue, cut the tendons and sew me up, then put my arm in a machine to open and close my elbow joint while I’m still in the hospital to keep it from getting stiff after the surgery. There is still stiffness and pain, as well as popping, whenever I move my arm (especially if I try to touch my ear or something with my hand, it starts popping and cracking more the farther back I move my hand). I’m sure it will be like this forever.

I’m planning on going back to the police academy in January 2011. If that doesn’t work out because I’m not ready, then I plan on going in July or August of 2011. My plan for this summer is to get in the best shape of my life (following a set diet and exercise regimen) so the physical fitness training is easier the next time I go to the academy. My biggest problem right now is my upper body is worthless as far as strength; I haven’t been able to work it out for the past six months, so it has turned into total flab. The only place there is any noticeable muscle is in my left bicep.

Original Story:

Saturday, November 28, 2009, my friend accidentally shot me with my Glock 19. He had unloaded it to look at it, and when he was finished, he set it down on my bed and went to do something else. I loaded it back up with the intention of putting it back in my night stand (where I normally keep it during the night) and got distracted by something on the computer. I sat down to respond to the message I received, he came back in the room and picked up the gun. He failed to follow the rules of gun safety and didn’t open the slide and check the chamber of the gun or keep the barrel in a safe direction. For whatever reason, he pulled the trigger, sending a Winchester Ranger SXT 127gr +P+ hollowpoint into my right arm. The bullet entered above my elbow on the right side of the back of my arm, came out on the left side of my forearm right below the elbow, smashed through my computer desk, grazed my knee, bounced off the desk and came to rest on the floor next to my feet. I stood up wondering what he had shot because I didn’t realize my arm had gone numb at first. Once I realized he had shot me, I freaked out (for some reason I thought he shot me with my 12 gauge shotgun as he had looked at it earlier and I was afraid I didn’t have an arm below the elbow anymore).

I ran out of my room, around the house and into the kitchen. After looking in the mirror and seeing my sweatshirt soaked with blood and only two bullet holes in it, I figured it couldn’t be that bad (at least compared to having my arm blown off halfway down by a load of #00 buckshot). I sat down at the kitchen table and he grabbed towels and put pressure on both holes after dialing 911. Thank God the bullet didn’t hit my radial artery, or I probably would have bled to death in the kitchen. My arm wasn’t bleeding too bad, although there was blood pretty much all over the floor, my jeans, and of course my sweatshirt. Time slowed way down while we were waiting for the cops and the ambulance. It probably only took five minutes for the sheriff’s deputies to show up, but it seemed like at least 10-15 minutes. They asked what happened and we explained the situation. I wasn’t in very much pain at all; it just felt like someone had parked a truck on my arm resulting in a LOT of pressure. The ambulance finally showed up, cut my sweatshirt and long sleeve t-shirt off up to the shoulder and checked it out. I remember thinking “what the hell” when they pulled out 4x4 gauze pads and tape, seeing as I have a large box of medical supplies in my closet that I had completely forgotten about in the chaos. I got up and sat down on the stretcher and they loaded me in the ambulance, taking me to the helipad at the sheriff’s office operations center.

I was airlifted to Tampa General Hospital and spent three days there, four if you count Saturday evening. I was taken into Sunday morning at 0900, was awake again by 1600 (and very much an ass due to being thirsty and not liking general anesthesia apparently). I hadn’t had anything to drink since the deputies arrived at my house Saturday night at 2245or 2300 hours. They had me on a pretty good drug regimen after surgery; a shot of dilaudid and two Percocets every four hours whether I wanted them or not. By the last day in the hospital, I was taking just two Percocets every four hours. I was off them completely eight days after surgery, the last three of those eight days being one Percocet a day. The surgeons put two steel plates, 17 screws, and a synthetic bone graft in my elbow.

I was uninsured when this happened, so my total medical bills are in the area of $43,000 right now. I had my hospital bill paid for through a charity, thankfully, because that most likely would have been another $50k to $100k I’m sure. I was in a trauma ward in a major hospital, so it wouldn’t have been cheap. The sheriff’s office did take my gun as evidence and returned it about three weeks later after giving me a little bit of a run-around as far as the case being open and there not having been a detective assigned, etc. I finally contacted the deputy that responded to the call on his agency cell phone and he met me at the operations center 20 minutes later and made them give it back to me (he had signed the paperwork to release it from evidence four days after I got to go home from the hospital). I went up to the academy two days after I got home asking when I’d be able to come back and they told me I would have to quit because of my injury.

Pictures:

Entry wound:

Exit wound:

Pre-surgery x-ray:

Post surgery x-ray:

Post surgery x-ray #2 (top view looking down):

Three weeks after surgery:

Bullet:

My arm in February:

Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad you're OK. How did your friend accidentally shoot you?
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#3]
did you slap the fuck out of your friend at least?
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Saturday night my friend accidentally shot me with my G19. It went in above my elbow at an angle, coming out below the elbow in my forearm. Round was a Winchester Ranger SXT 127gr +P+. The bullet grazed my left knee. It shattered my elbow and bruised some nerves and tore up a tendon. I had surgery this morning and they put a plate and screws in it, the ball of the joint was in two or three pieces as well as the socket. They repaired the tendon and did a bone graft.

I was surprised, I thought it was going to hurt a lot more initially. I'm not one to take pain easily but I didn't cry at all. I know it hurts now and the physical therapy involved is gonna hurt like a mofo.

Pics of wounds and xrays soon.

Well, ain't that a bitch!

Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you mean EX-FRIEND?
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow.  Glad to hear you will mend up, for the most part.  With friends like that, who needs enemies?  

Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad you're OK. It could have been worse. How did he ND? Why was he finger fucking your gun?
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Getting shot with your own gun. Ouch.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#9]
IN on one.

Did you save the bullet???

Pics of expansion???
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:32:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Congratulations on not being killed by your friend.

Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Glad you're OK.  

May I ask why the FUCK your friend had your loaded G19 and was allowed to point it at you?
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Saturday night my friend accidentally shot me with my G19. It went in above my elbow at an angle, coming out below the elbow in my forearm. Round was a Winchester Ranger SXT 127gr +P+. The bullet grazed my left knee. It shattered my elbow and bruised some nerves and tore up a tendon. I had surgery this morning and they put a plate and screws in it, the ball of the joint was in two or three pieces as well as the socket. They repaired the tendon and did a bone graft.

I was surprised, I thought it was going to hurt a lot more initially. I'm not one to take pain easily but I didn't cry at all. I know it hurts now and the physical therapy involved is gonna hurt like a mofo.

Pics of wounds and xrays soon.

Don't you mean your ex-friend?

Tag for details.

Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:32:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Was it an exploding Glock?  Glad to hear you will pull through.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm guessing the Glock functioned as advertised (no malfunction). The friend did not function as advertised.

Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#17]
in for pics
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#18]
With friends like that who needs enemies
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:33:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Jeeze, that sucks.   I am glad you are still with us though.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:33:18 PM EDT
[#20]
oh boy
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#21]
IBDCR

In before the Dick Cheney references...

Glad you're alive, FloridaHunter. Get well!
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#22]
tag
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#23]
There's no pics here dammit!
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I came here because you promised pics. I see no pics.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#25]

oh shit

eta: hope you have a speedy recovery
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#26]
OP sure does type well for someone who just got shot in the arm.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
did you slap the fuck out of your friend at least?

Yeah, I hope you gave him a swift kick in the walnuts

Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Twerent no accident.

Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Damn! thoughts and prayers for a speedy and full recovery.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#31]
What did your friends wound look like after you got your gun back?
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:34:46 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

IN on one.

Pics of expansion???

Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Well, damn.

Maybe you should change your carry load; I mean, you're still alive after being hit by one
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#35]
In on one before the shit storm.

Glad you and everyone else is ok.  When you feel better kick your friends ass.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm glad that you're alright. When your friend buys dinner.......order 3 lobsters. He owes you.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#37]
In on this one...  

I hope you have a speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:35:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Where are the pics?
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Damn. Makes me think of the 4 rules of firearm handling post where all the posters trying to ignore some of the rules.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#41]
tag for pics and shitstorm
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I came here because you promised pics. I see no pics.

Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Wow.

I hope you regain use of your arm.

Right elbow or left? Are you right or left handed?
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Where the fuck are the pics?!?
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Damn!  Glad you are okay.

Hope you make a speedy recovery!!!
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#46]
in on 1
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#47]
get well..............

btw wheres the pics?

better get them up or we`re all gonna (accidently) shoot ya.................
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:37:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Well, damn.

Maybe you should change your carry load; I mean, you're still alive after being hit by one

No, no,no, no, it's obvious his Glock didn't explode and kill everything in a 10 meter diameter circle. Therefore it's defective and did not perform as expected.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
IN on one.

Pics of expansion???

this-  and can your friend shoot you with am HST for comparison?
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#50]
In on 1
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top