Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/26/2009 7:16:56 AM EDT
I've heard about these "detention centers", but have never seen one.  Has anyone ever laid eyes on one or is it just a myth?
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 7:18:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 7:19:22 AM EDT
[#2]

This is the name that FEMA will use for their camps.  Make it seem like a summer camp and it will keep the people happy, thinking they're only there for a short stay.  Joke will be on them, however, when they have to salute the flag of the NWO.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 7:19:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Tell where to look and I'll check.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 7:20:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I think they're just wharehouses and conex yards where they store medical supplies and emergency rations. Not so different from your average arfcommer's basement.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 7:20:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I have seen them....
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 7:20:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Dunno.... I guess we might find out sooner then later....when they round us all up!.

I GET TOP BUNK!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 7:24:47 AM EDT
[#7]

wish i could find a better conspiracy pic
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 7:30:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've heard about these "detention centers", but have never seen one.

Of course you haven't seen one, they're invisible.

Link Posted: 7/26/2009 7:31:21 AM EDT
[#9]
IN !
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 7:32:04 AM EDT
[#10]
This has been way overblown they are actually just bigrfoot training camps.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 7:32:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 7/26/2009 7:34:34 AM EDT
[#12]
They all have a big sign out front that says "KOA".
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 7:38:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think they're just wharehouses and conex yards where they store medical supplies and emergency rations. Not so different from your average arfcommer's basement.

This.

Plus, there are "buildings of opportunity"––empty walmarts, malls, etc. that can be use for emergency shelters for evacuees, but to term anything as a "detention" camp would be tin foil crap. We have these shelters and warehouses in San Antonio because we are a hub for both hurricane response and evacuee sheltering.

pato

Link Posted: 7/26/2009 7:40:54 AM EDT
[#16]
On the serious side, I had never actually heard the bullshit until yesterday in a thread here.  So search for it.  There was a thread just yestereday that included links to a spot Glenn Beck did w/ Popular Mechanics who debunjked it.  Basically, some tinfoil het type guy took a bunch of pics of other stuf, North Korean work camps, train repair facility, etc, and said they were FEMA detention camps.  I don;t know why I am even writing this.  Anybody that thinks that FEMA is going to run detention camps for American citizens needs more help than I can provide.  Google it buddy, the innernets are your friends.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 7:43:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Ummmmmmmmm  think Superdome NOLA. Everything else is speculation.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 7:47:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Fema camps are
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 7:47:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
On the serious side, I had never actually heard the bullshit until yesterday in a thread here.  So search for it.  There was a thread just yestereday that included links to a spot Glenn Beck did w/ Popular Mechanics who debunjked it.  Basically, some tinfoil het type guy took a bunch of pics of other stuf, North Korean work camps, train repair facility, etc, and said they were FEMA detention camps.  I don;t know why I am even writing this.  Anybody that thinks that FEMA is going to run detention camps for American citizens needs more help than I can provide.  Google it buddy, the innernets are your friends.

I googled, youtubed, AND yahooed it.  I'm just curious to see if anyone here has ever seen one for themselves.  

Link Posted: 7/26/2009 7:48:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I love a good conspiracy theory but the FEMA camp one is easy to debunk.  I've actually visited the supposed FEMA camps in KY and I can say there is NOTHING to report.

Maybe the whole scenario was actually war gamed by some think tank as a 'how to' excercise but there is nothing on the ground.

Link Posted: 7/26/2009 7:49:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Fema camps are

This
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 7:50:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I googled, youtubed, AND yahooed it.  I'm just curious to see if anyone here has ever seen one for themselves.  

The FEMA "concentration camps" are a bullshit wet dream of some tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy nitwit.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 7:52:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Let me start by saying that I'm not making any statements about what this is for, but here's the bill that's got everyone up in arms, with link to the Library of Congress's THOMAS website, which lets you read legislation working its way through congress. Take from this what you will:

111th Congress, H.R. 645, National Emergency Centers Establishment Act

ETA: PDF download of the bill from the Government Printing Office

A quick quote from the text of the bill sposored by Rep. Alcee Hastings, Rep. Artur Davis, and Rep. Jim Gerlach:

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `National Emergency Centers Establishment Act'.

SEC. 2. ESTABLISHMENT OF NATIONAL EMERGENCY CENTERS.

(a) In General- In accordance with the requirements of this Act, the Secretary of Homeland Security shall establish not fewer than 6 national emergency centers on military installations.

(b) Purpose of National Emergency Centers- The purpose of a national emergency center shall be to use existing infrastructure––

(1) to provide temporary housing, medical, and humanitarian assistance to individuals and families dislocated due to an emergency or major disaster;

(2) to provide centralized locations for the purposes of training and ensuring the coordination of Federal, State, and local first responders;

(3) to provide centralized locations to improve the coordination of preparedness, response, and recovery efforts of government, private, and not-for-profit entities and faith-based organizations; and

(4) to meet other appropriate needs, as determined by the Secretary of Homeland Security.

SEC. 3. DESIGNATION OF MILITARY INSTALLATIONS AS NATIONAL EMERGENCY CENTERS.

(a) In General- Not later than 60 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Homeland Security, in consultation with the Secretary of Defense, shall designate not fewer than 6 military installations as sites for the establishment of national emergency centers.

(c) Location of National Emergency Centers- There shall be established not fewer than one national emergency center in each of the following areas:

(1) The area consisting of Federal Emergency Management Agency Regions I, II, and III.

(2) The area consisting of Federal Emergency Management Agency Region IV.

(3) The area consisting of Federal Emergency Management Agency Regions V and VII.

(4) The area consisting of Federal Emergency Management Agency Region VI.

(5) The area consisting of Federal Emergency Management Agency Regions VIII and X.

(6) The area consisting of Federal Emergency Management Agency Region IX.

(d) Preference for Designation of Closed Military Installations- Wherever possible, the Secretary of Homeland Security, in consultation with the Secretary of Defense, shall designate a closed military installation as a site for a national emergency center. If the Secretaries of Homeland Security and Defense jointly determine that there is not a sufficient number of closed military installations that meet the requirements of subsections (b) and (c), the Secretaries shall jointly designate portions of existing military installations other than closed military installations as national emergency centers.

(edited to add Sec. 3(c) and highlight things that are, rightly or wrongly, making people crazy)
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 7:54:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I love a good conspiracy theory but the FEMA camp one is easy to debunk.  I've actually visited the supposed FEMA camps in KY and I can say there is NOTHING to report.

Maybe the whole scenario was actually war gamed by some think tank as a 'how to' excercise but there is nothing on the ground.

Thats what I expected.  There's supposedly one north of Houston but I'm not wasting gas to check it out.  It sounded far fetched.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 7:57:05 AM EDT
[#25]
I had some guy try to tell me they had one of these at Ft. Stewart.  He went into great detail and sounded very convincing. But he didn't realize who he was talking to.  He didn't like it when I told them I'd never seen any evidence of such a thing in all my years of training at Ft. Stewart,  and the fact that outside of my military training;  I'm familiar with most of the 280,000 acres since I've hunted deer and hogs there for years.  Until I see one with my own eyes,  I have to call:
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 7:59:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I was a counselor at one for a few summers over in the olympics, it was pretty fun. We did basket weaving and all sorts of fun stuff.
Also worked at one called "Camp Re-fu-Gee"
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The FEMA "concentration camps" are a bullshit wet dream of some tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy nitwit.

Your ignorance must be like a warm blanket to you.

news.newamericamedia.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=eed74d9d44c30493706fe03f4c9b3a77

www.alternet.org/rights/42458/
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Just follow the FEMA trains if you want to see one.

Hint:  They are the ones with cars inside.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:05:48 AM EDT
[#29]
IN on 1!

Edit: And away we go!

Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:06:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have seen them....

the voices direct you to them
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:08:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I had some guy try to tell me they had one of these at Ft. Stewart.  He went into great detail and sounded very convincing. But he didn't realize who he was talking to.  

There is a civilian inmate program at several bases to include Ft. Stewart. It is completely above board. People hear things and get confused.

Ever notice weird things happening to a compass when you are on Camp Swampy? Like 15 degrees of deflection from here to there just ten feet away? I always wondered what that was about.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

news.newamericamedia.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=eed74d9d44c30493706fe03f4c9b3a77

Do tell
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Let me start by saying that I'm not making any statements about what this is for, but here's the bill that's got everyone up in arms, with link to the Library of Congress's THOMAS website, which lets you read legislation working its way through congress. Take from this what you will:

A quick quote from the text of the bill sposored by Rep. Alcee Hastings, Rep. Artur Davis, and Rep. Jim Gerlach:

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

(a) In General- In accordance with the requirements of this Act, the Secretary of Homeland Security shall establish not fewer than 6 national emergency centers on military installations.

(b) Purpose of National Emergency Centers- The purpose of a national emergency center shall be to use existing infrastructure––

(1) to provide temporary housing, medical, and humanitarian assistance to individuals and families dislocated due to an emergency or major disaster;

(2) to provide centralized locations for the purposes of training and ensuring the coordination of Federal, State, and local first responders;

(3) to provide centralized locations to improve the coordination of preparedness, response, and recovery efforts of government, private, and not-for-profit entities and faith-based organizations; and

(4) to meet other appropriate needs, as determined by the Secretary of Homeland Security.

(a) In General- Not later than 60 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Homeland Security, in consultation with the Secretary of Defense, shall designate not fewer than 6 military installations as sites for the establishment of national emergency centers.

(c) Location of National Emergency Centers- There shall be established not fewer than one national emergency center in each of the following areas:

(1) The area consisting of Federal Emergency Management Agency Regions I, II, and III.

(3) The area consisting of Federal Emergency Management Agency Regions V and VII.

(5) The area consisting of Federal Emergency Management Agency Regions VIII and X.

(d) Preference for Designation of Closed Military Installations- Wherever possible, the Secretary of Homeland Security, in consultation with the Secretary of Defense, shall designate a closed military installation as a site for a national emergency center. If the Secretaries of Homeland Security and Defense jointly determine that there is not a sufficient number of closed military installations that meet the requirements of subsections (b) and (c), the Secretaries shall jointly designate portions of existing military installations other than closed military installations as national emergency centers.

(edited to add Sec. 3(c) and highlight things that are, rightly or wrongly, making people crazy)

Dude, what exactly do you think the former Kelly AFB in San Antonio is?
A CLOSED military installation!!!!
So, the Feds push supplies forward and house them in the old military warehouses so that they csn be deployed forward to an affected area quicker, thus avoiding a NOLA style screw up.

What better use for a closed military installation with all of that space than to warehouse response equipment and goods and set up sheltering for evacuees?

pato
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:14:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speaking of ignorance.    
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:14:23 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

Sounds to me like they are trying to set up centers to coordinate relief, i.e. Incident Command posts, with supplies.

Closed military installations are alread owned by the government and have lots of space for the IC and storage.

Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:15:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

American Prison Camps Are on the Way

By Marjorie Cohn, AlterNet. Posted October 9, 2006.

Kellogg Brown & Root, a Halliburton subsidiary, is constructing a huge facility at an undisclosed location to hold tens of thousands of Bush's "unlawful enemy combatants." Americans are certain to be among them. Tools
EMAIL
PRINT
232 COMMENTS

American Prison Camps Are on the WayShare and save this posAlterNet Social Networks:

Also in Rights and Liberties

What Makes the Arrest of Professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. So Tragic
Melissa Harris-Lacewell

Is America on the Verge of a Geriatric Crime Wave?
Nathan Comp

Beyond Attica: The Untold Story of Women's Resistance Behind Bars
Hans Bennett

Al-Jazeera Journalist Imprisoned at Gitmo to Sue Bush Administration
Gwladys Fouché

Pat Buchanan Continues His Racist Attacks on Sotomayor
Guy T. Saperstein

Cheney's CIA Secrets: We Must Fight to Get the Truth
Marie Cocco

More stories by Marjorie Cohn
Rights and Liberties RSS Feed

Main AlterNet RSS Feed
Advertisement
Upcoming AlterNet stories on Digg DiggWhat is Digg?41 diggsObama Comes Out Swinging at Cynical GOP on Health Care
At Wednesday's press conference, Obama said the " stars are aligned" for health reform, and tackeled the racial injustice typified by prof's arrest...
34 diggsRight-Wing Pundits Lying Their Asses Off About Healthcare
Actually pretty shocking.
34 diggsCNN's Lou Dobbs Damage Control - Too Late!!!
The network's chief task? Debunking the myths of its resident
29 diggshealth lies | AlterNet –– GOP up to their old tricks.
Dispensing lies and misinformation seems to be the GOP's stock in trade. If you can't debate the policy proposals with logic and evidence, create as much distracting and inaccurate noise as you can to divert attention from the real issues.
26 diggsRandall Terry's Toxic, Circular Logic/ Totally Off The Wall!
The Operation Rescue founder continues to subtly condone violent domestic terrorism.
Powered by Digg's UsersThe Military Commissions Act of 2006 governing the treatment of detainees is the culmination of relentless fear-mongering by the Bush administration since the September 11 terrorist attacks.

Because the bill was adopted with lightning speed, barely anyone noticed that it empowers Bush to declare not just aliens, but also U.S. citizens, "unlawful enemy combatants."

Bush & Co. has portrayed the bill as a tough way to deal with aliens to protect us against terrorism. Frightened they might lose their majority in Congress in the November elections, the Republicans rammed the bill through Congress with little substantive debate.

Anyone who donates money to a charity that turns up on Bush's list of "terrorist" organizations, or who speaks out against the government's policies could be declared an "unlawful enemy combatant" and imprisoned indefinitely. That includes American citizens.

The bill also strips habeas corpus rights from detained aliens who have been declared enemy combatants. Congress has the constitutional power to suspend habeas corpus only in times of rebellion or invasion. The habeas-stripping provision in the new bill is unconstitutional and the Supreme Court will likely say so when the issue comes before it.

Although more insidious, this law follows in the footsteps of other unnecessarily repressive legislation. In times of war and national crisis, the government has targeted immigrants and dissidents.

In 1798, the Federalist-led Congress, capitalizing on the fear of war, passed the four Alien and Sedition Acts to stifle dissent against the Federalist Party's political agenda. The Naturalization Act extended the time necessary for immigrants to reside in the U.S. because most immigrants sympathized with the Republicans.

The Alien Enemies Act provided for the arrest, detention and deportation of male citizens of any foreign nation at war with the United States. Many of the 25,000 French citizens living in the U.S. could have been expelled had France and America gone to war, but this law was never used. The Alien Friends Act authorized the deportation of any non-citizen suspected of endangering the security of the U.S. government; the law lasted only two years and no one was deported under it.

The Sedition Act provided criminal penalties for any person who wrote, printed, published, or spoke anything "false, scandalous and malicious" with the intent to hold the government in "contempt or disrepute." The Federalists argued it was necessary to suppress criticism of the government in time of war. The Republicans objected that the Sedition Act violated the First Amendment, which had become part of the Constitution seven years earlier. Employed exclusively against Republicans, the Sedition Act was used to target congressmen and newspaper editors who criticized President John Adams.

Subsequent examples of laws passed and actions taken as a result of fear-mongering during periods of xenophobia are the Espionage Act of 1917, the Sedition Act of 1918, the Red Scare following World War I, the forcible internment of people of Japanese descent during World War II, and the Alien Registration Act of 1940 (the Smith Act).

During the McCarthy period of the 1950s, in an effort to eradicate the perceived threat of communism, the government engaged in widespread illegal surveillance to threaten and silence anyone who had an unorthodox political viewpoint. Many people were jailed, blacklisted and lost their jobs. Thousands of lives were shattered as the FBI engaged in "red-baiting." One month after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, United States Attorney General John Ashcroft rushed the U.S.A. Patriot Act through a timid Congress. The Patriot Act created a crime of domestic terrorism aimed at political activists who protest government policies, and set forth an ideological test for entry into the United States.

In 1944, the Supreme Court upheld the legality of the internment of Japanese and Japanese-American citizens in Korematsu v. United States. Justice Robert Jackson warned in his dissent that the ruling would "lie about like a loaded weapon ready for the hand of any authority that can bring forward a plausible claim of an urgent need."

That day has come with the Military Commissions Act of 2006. It provides the basis for the President to round-up both aliens and U.S. citizens he determines have given material support to terrorists. Kellogg Brown & Root, a subsidiary of Cheney's Halliburton, is constructing a huge facility at an undisclosed location to hold tens of thousands of undesirables.

In his 1928 dissent in Olmstead v. United States, Justice Louis Brandeis cautioned, "The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding." Seventy-three years later, former White House spokesman Ari Fleischer, speaking for a zealous President, warned Americans "they need to watch what they say, watch what they do."

We can expect Bush to continue to exploit 9/11 to strip us of more of our liberties. Our constitutional right to dissent is in serious jeopardy. Benjamin Franklin's prescient warning should give us pause: "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
Are you serious????

Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:16:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:16:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh my god, they are building camps to hold Bush's thousands of detainees!!!!  

Oh, wait, Bush is gone.  The detainees never materialized.

Do you have any references to sites that have updated since 2006?
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:20:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh my god, they are building camps to hold Bush's thousands of detainees!!!!  

Oh, wait, Bush is gone.  The detainees never materialized.

Do you have any references to sites that have updated since 2006?
Dammit its BOOOOOOOOOSHES FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!
the derangement continues

Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:20:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Do tell

Are you trying to claim that the contract was never awarded? It is in the federal register. Do some research.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"I was just told that there are roads being shut down and a hospital is under quarantine in New Orleans."

Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do tell

Are you trying to claim that the contract was never awarded? It is in the federal register. Do some research.

Psssssst.......... Bush isn't President. Haliburton is a service company and a construction company.  Read the top portion of what you linked to. An Agenda maybe,, yes?????
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:26:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:28:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Every time someone brings up FEMA camps, they are accused of tin foiling and told that could never happen.
But I can take a 15 minute drive from my house to a former Japanese internment camp. They were the “enemies within”  WWII.
So it has happened before, who is to say it will not happen again? And who is it to say it won’t be you who is deemed the “enemy within” next time?
Those who ignore history are condemned to see it repeated.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:30:49 AM EDT
[#46]
What is in the last week around here. Every freaking nut around is coming out of the bushes.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:31:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

American Prison Camps Are on the Way

By Marjorie Cohn, AlterNet. Posted October 9, 2006.

[blahblahblahblah]

Powered by Digg's UsersThe Military Commissions Act of 2006 governing the treatment of detainees is the culmination of relentless fear-mongering by the Bush administration since the September 11 terrorist attacks.

Because the bill was adopted with lightning speed, barely anyone noticed that it empowers Bush to declare not just aliens, but also U.S. citizens, "unlawful enemy combatants."

Bush & Co. has portrayed the bill as a tough way to deal with aliens to protect us against terrorism. Frightened they might lose their majority in Congress in the November elections, the Republicans rammed the bill through Congress with little substantive debate.

Anyone who donates money to a charity that turns up on Bush's list of "terrorist" organizations, or who speaks out against the government's policies could be declared an "unlawful enemy combatant" and imprisoned indefinitely. That includes American citizens.

[blahblahblahblah]

Are you serious????

So I'm actually reading some legislation for something I'm writing, and if the conspiracy guys actually read the Military Commissions Act of 2006 (as passed by the House and Senate), they would see that Sec. 948c says:

Sec. 948c. Persons subject to military commissions

Any alien unlawful enemy combatant is subject to trial by military commission under this chapter.

I don't have time to sit here and sift through the entire bill, but Sec. 948c seems to contradict what the article says.  I'm all for distrust of government, but still...
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:37:02 AM EDT
[#48]

A couple are under construction in Arizona. Pics were posted in the HTF a while back. I think the photographer disappeared.

For those who think, "it can't happen here", ask some Japanese-Americans about the WWII camps.

Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:37:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

Dude, what exactly do you think the former Kelly AFB in San Antonio is?
A CLOSED military installation!!!!
So, the Feds push supplies forward and house them in the old military warehouses so that they csn be deployed forward to an affected area quicker, thus avoiding a NOLA style screw up.

What better use for a closed military installation with all of that space than to warehouse response equipment and goods and set up sheltering for evacuees?

pato

I have no opinion.  As my post said, "Let me start by saying that I'm not making any statements about what this is for, but here's the bill that's got everyone up in arms." I imagine the perceived SNFU over NOLA is a good reason why this legislation is in congress. Four years after Katrina, new administration comes in and doesn't want a NOLA type situation blowing up on their watch. There you go.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Somebody show me some pics that they took. Not youtube bullshit.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top