Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 6/18/2008 4:55:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Just read some good news on this whole situation in another forum.  If CavArms prevails at the asset forfeiture hearing, .gov may be on the hook for their legal fees.

From David Harding's FOPA Historical and Legal Perspective:

4. Awards of Attorneys' Fees against the United States
The traditional "American rule" denying recovery of attorneys' (p.664)fees to a successful litigant[426] has been extensively eroded by recent legislation.[427] From the standpoint of federal agency action, the Equal Access to Justice Act clearly marks the greatest incursion.[428] The retention of attorneys' fees provisions in FOPA and its predecessor bills despite passage of the Equal Access to Justice Act might suggest that FOPA establishes a still broader standard. The suggestion would be accurate. While the Equal Access to Justice Act allows awards only if the agency act was "unsupported by substantial evidence" or "not substantially justified,"[429] it is surpassed by a bifurcated standard of impressive scope: a prevailing claimant in a forfeiture action shall be allowed a reasonable attorney's fee; a successful citizen in "any other action or proceeding under the provisions of this chapter" may receive such an award if he establishes that such action "was without foundation, or initiated vexatiously, frivolously, or in bad faith."[430] The former, mandatory provisions are relatively straightforward;[431] the latter, discretionary provisions, are in contrast, likely to generate considerable controversy as to their scope, grounds, and procedure.

Scope
The award of attorneys' fees at the close of trial to a successful criminal defendant would seem a radical innovation in criminal procedure. Yet, there can be no doubt that FOPA accomplishes exactly that. FOPA's general attorneys' fees provision applies to "any other action or proceeding (p.665)under the provisions of this chapter"; in other words, the Gun Control Act.[432] It might be suspected that this was merely the product of legislative oversight, a failure to realize that criminal cases are "actions or proceedings," too. But the legislative history makes it inescapably clear that Congress knew and intended that criminal actions be covered. The first Senate report states unequivocally:

If an individual has in fact been deprived of his property unjustly, and establishes such in court, these [sic] is little reason to put the burden of costs upon the just claimant rather than those who have unjustly taken his possessions. Such an award is likewise to be made in any other action, civil or criminal, under this chapter, where the court finds it was undertaken without foundation or from specified bad motives.[433]

The later Senate report grouped both categories into a single sentence:

If an individual has in fact been deprived of his property unjustly or has been unfairly forced to defend himself, and established such in court, there is little reason to put the burden of costs upon the just claimant rather than those who have unjustly taken his possessions or forced him to defend himself in an unreasonable action.[434]

On the House floor, Representative Hughes argued with even greater specificity that, if enacted, FOPA "would have us paying attorneys' fees for persons charged with illegally possessing weapons who successfully defend themselves, something we do not do for others that in fact avoid conviction in criminal offenses."[435] Accordingly, the extension of FOPA's general attorney's fees provisions to "all" proceedings under the Gun Control Act must be read to cover, and to have been intended to cover, criminal proceedings as well as civil.

Grounds
FOPA's general provision for attorneys' fees mandates (with the use of the word "shall") their award when the (p.666)court finds that the action "was without foundation, or was initiated vexatiously, frivolously, or in bad faith."[436] Although the legislative history is remarkably silent on the background of this test, its genesis appears to lie in Christiansburg Garment Co. v. EEOC,[437] in which the United States Supreme Court authorized awards of attorneys' fees to successful civil defendants in EEOC litigation. The Court approved of the tests employed in two circuits, one allowing fees upon a finding that the government's action was "unfounded, meritless, frivolous or vexatiously brought," the other "where the action brought is found to be unreasonable, frivolous, meritless or vexatious."[438] The Court made it clear that either subjective bad faith or pursuit of an objectively groundless claim would suffice for an award.[439] Tracking this dictum, FOPA draws a demarcation between the objective "without foundation" and the subjective "vexatiously, frivolously, or in bad faith" bases for an award. A wide variety of conduct may meet these criteria, ranging from pleading factually unfounded or legally barred claims[440] to failure to make reasonable inquiry into the law or use of harassing, though not technically illegal, tactics[441] to outright perjury based on personal spite.[442] The availability of awards for defense against an unfounded part of an action[443] may militate against "overcharging" a defendant.[444](p.667)

Procedure
The courts have generally held that due process requires a hearing prior to assessment of fees against an unsuccessful civil plaintiff.[445] In a claim against the government, due process for the defending party is not a direct requirement. Moreover, where an objective standard ("without foundation") is the basis for the claim, the court will often be in a position to rule upon the existence or lack of a foundation at the close of the underlying action.[446] As a practical matter, handling of the claim (particularly when based upon the subjective grounds) will require some manner of hearing in most cases.

Collection
FOPA requires, as a precondition of governmental liability for attorneys' fees, that such be "provided in advance by appropriations Act."[447] This language was inserted at the request of House Budget Committee members, who maintained that otherwise the bill might have led to commitment of unappropriated funds and thus require referral to their Committee.[448] The practical significance is not too great. In 28 U.S.C. section 2414, payment of final judgments and compromises is authorized, upon settlement, by the General Accounting Office. These are payable out of the "Judgment Fund," a continuing appropriation created by 31 U.S.C. section 1304. The sole significance of FOPA's qualifier will likely lie in restrictions on awards toward the end of a given fiscal year, when the Judgment Fund may be low or exhausted. In such an event, the motion may have to be carried over until the arrival of a new fiscal year.[449](p.668)

FOPA's enforcement and administration provisions thus comprise a wide spectrum of innovations. Administrative inspections, seizures, forfeitures, revocations and penalties are all sharply limited; attorneys' fees are, in contrast, liberally provided.

Link Posted: 6/18/2008 5:24:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
SNIP....
And the parting shot, the SP asked why would anyone want to buy a plastic lower, it'll only break after the first time he shoots it.

Question: What is the issue sidearm of the NJSP?

(i'm asking because i legitimately don't know, but i thought it was either a glock or a sig, so..... there's a 50% 99% chance his statement was ironic)

EXACTLY!!!

Our SP's like almost all the .gov agencies carry an approved sidearm made by, SIG, Glock, XD's, you know the ones...Imagine that!!! Bunch of tarts I tell ya.

I called them earlier in the week to see if a collaspable baton was considered a concealed weapon. They told me that they weren't sure and that I should consult an attorney. A big WTF on that one as well.
Link Posted: 6/18/2008 6:14:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
SNIP....
And the parting shot, the SP asked why would anyone want to buy a plastic lower, it'll only break after the first time he shoots it.

Question: What is the issue sidearm of the NJSP?

(i'm asking because i legitimately don't know, but i thought it was either a glock or a sig, so..... there's a 50% 99% chance his statement was ironic)

EXACTLY!!!

Our SP's like almost all the .gov agencies carry an approved sidearm made by, SIG, Glock, XD's, you know the ones...Imagine that!!! Bunch of tarts I tell ya.

I called them earlier in the week to see if a collaspable baton was considered a concealed weapon. They told me that they weren't sure and that I should consult an attorney. A big WTF on that one as well.

Ha.  Interesting update, with Google as my friend: link

HK P7M8 --> SW99 --> SIG P228

Link Posted: 6/18/2008 7:16:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice detective work Wise_Jake.

Just proves the point of the (ahem) over-achievers they have at the helm.
Link Posted: 6/18/2008 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/18/2008 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I won't even take phone calls from Cali anymore
Link Posted: 6/18/2008 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Order #884, lower #124 arrived this morning!
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 4:45:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 4:53:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
DAY 114

Ed, wasn't it at once speculated that there's an implied upper time-limit on the action without charges?
I remember something like 120 days.
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 5:02:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
DAY 114

Ed, wasn't it at once speculated that there's an implied upper time-limit on the action without charges?

I think someone said that the only time limit is something like "a reasonable period of time" and no specific quantity of time.
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 5:05:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 5:37:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I won't even take phone calls from Cali anymore

Who can blame you?

I mean, you guys are getting invaded from the South, now invaded from the West......
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 5:44:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I received my CavAid lower yesterday... and consequently spent the dwindling hours of last night shaving the flash and finger f#$%ing it.  Thanks AGP & CavArms.
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I pick mine up tomorrow. I ordered this thing months ago, but I still have to wait 24hrs to take it home.
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#15]
DAY 115
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 3:28:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 9:44:50 AM EDT
[#18]
DAY 116
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 11:54:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
DAY 114

I think someone said that the only time limit is something like "a reasonable period of time" and no specific quantity of time.

I am no lawyer -nor do I want to be - so I don't know

If anyone is banking on that, I'd only count Monday-Friday as "days".

Wes
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 12:08:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
DAY 114

Wes

Ironic, ain't it?  They can come in to "work" on "business" and take your guns on a Saturday or Sunday, but those ain't work or business days.

If it's not work or business, then it must be "play" or "pleasure."
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
DAY 114

Wes

Ironic, ain't it?  They can come in to "work" on "business" and take your guns on a Saturday or Sunday, but those ain't work or business days.

It's based more on the days the court house is open than anything else.

Wes
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
DAY 114

Wes

It's based more on the days the court house is openthey can get away with than anything else.

Wes

Fixed.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 3:30:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
DAY 114

Wes

It's based more on the days the court house is openthey can get away with than anything else.

Wes

Fixed.

Fair enough, but since the court is what is left the burden do decied the "reasonableness" of a situation of this matter....

Wes
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 4:43:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
DAY 114

The specific deadlines that were discussed previously had to do with the Speedy Trial Act, which sets deadlines for bringing a person to trial, but this only applies AFTER an arrest has been made.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

It's based more on the days the court house is open than anything else.

Wes

Yeah, I know.  More than anything, I was just complaining in general.

Which always helps a great deal, I've heard.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The specific deadlines that were discussed previously had to do with the Speedy Trial Act, which sets deadlines for bringing a person to trial, but this only applies AFTER an arrest has been made.

Hasn't their stuff been arrested?

Or was it just seized?  Would be cool if they'd outfitted one of the magwells with a recording device, and could operate it by remote.

Then, the "gun" could ask "Have I been arrested?  Have I been seized or otherwise detained?  Am I free to go?" and maybe we could get some answers around here.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hasn't their stuff been arrested?

Or was it just seized?  Would be cool if they'd outfitted one of the magwells with a recording device, and could operate it by remote.

Then, the "gun" could ask "Have I been arrested?  Have I been seized or otherwise detained?  Am I free to go?" and maybe we could get some answers around here.

Then it could do a MASSIVE MAGAZINE DUMP and yell "DISENGAGE!" while blading at a 45 degree angle.
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 3:57:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:]
DAY 117

And I thought this was getting long in the tooth at...
DAY 80

Link Posted: 6/23/2008 3:22:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 5:04:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Has Cavalry filed anything in the Federal Courts yet??? There is a timeframe for things to get filed under the Assets Forfeiture Legislation passed some time ago....You gots to request it back when the Fed's steal it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 8:43:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Has Cavalry filed anything in the Federal Courts yet??? There is a timeframe for things to get filed under the Assets Forfeiture Legislation passed some time ago....You gots to request it back when the Fed's steal it.

Our attorneys are handling the situation.

Has a date been set for the asset forfeiture hearing?
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 3:13:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Lower came, opted for the "rough" finish.

I think the amount of flashing left over from the molding is excessive.

Some sections on the seams were near a 1/16th from matching the other half, this required rough sanding and some Dremel work followed by a light sanding. The mag well seam required a massage as well.

Nothing I can't handle but just wondering out loud that some people may want to opt for a more finished version.

* Still supporting the cause, hoping the best for your company. *

Link Posted: 6/23/2008 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Here's the receiver trimming instructions for anyone that missed them earlier in the thread:

www.lifelibertyetc.com/files/receivertrimming.wmv

Damn nice video!
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 3:47:43 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
DAY 118

As glad as I am to see these updates... It still makes me sick.

Stay strong Cav Arms.
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#38]
I picked up my pink lower last Friday directly from Cav.  Thanks guys, I appreciate it and so will the lady who will be the eventual recipient of it.  I'm going to try to get down to AGP later this week, or possibly next week, for another lower just to stash away.  After a few weeks when my gun funds builds back up I'll order the pink hand guards as well.
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 3:16:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#40]
I picked up CAV AID #230 today and just got done watching the trim video. I had to watch it three times before I could pay attention to what she was doing.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Just noted that UPS delivered my AGP package to my FFL

So now I just have to drag my butt to my FFL to pick up my CavAid receivers..

Link Posted: 6/24/2008 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#42]
ETA: Fuck it. And the ATF.
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 4:19:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 6:10:36 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here's the receiver trimming instructions for anyone that missed them earlier in the thread:

www.lifelibertyetc.com/files/receivertrimming.wmv

Damn nice video!

Does she want to get married?
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 6:14:34 AM EDT
[#45]
(edited by EdSr)   But since I'm in my 50's, I guess I'd just have to settle for bumping into her like a grocery carts in WalMart.

Account locked for 3 days by EdSr
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 6:44:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Entirely uncalled for.
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 6:46:40 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
snip

I predict your stay here at Arfcom will be nasty, brutish and short.
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#48]
There's a better than average chance that is someone's wife.
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 8:00:37 AM EDT
[#49]
i think the insider just became the outside.

that woman is drop dead gorgeous.  

as if that needed to be said.
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 8:40:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top