Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/22/2005 3:54:37 AM EDT
I just was wondering if your a NRA member or not. If Not then why?
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 4:07:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Me

take a guess why
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 4:08:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Guess
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 4:09:30 AM EDT
[#3]
To dang many, IMO.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 4:10:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Not since '94. I only support gun rights organizations that support my gun rights, not compromise them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 4:10:38 AM EDT
[#5]
The only reason why I am is because my club requires it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 4:16:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Not yet.
Reasons:
They backed the banning of newly manufactured machine guns being available to the regular citizen.
They concentrate too much on hunting and not enough on the fact that we are losing a right.

Once they back the facts that 2nd ammendment;
1, is a basic right belonging to every citizen ,
2, all laws infringing upon this right are unconstitutional,
3, it enables hunting not the other way around,
4, they lower the price of the lifetime mambership
I will go all in.

OK maybe four is a stretch but I can wish.
In the mean time there are other worthy groups I support.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 4:20:27 AM EDT
[#7]
sounds like a job for a poll

life member still paying

ETA: Oops... that says NON-NRA, doesn't it.

Sorry... I'm a member...
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 4:21:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Life member.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 4:31:50 AM EDT
[#9]
yes i am
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 4:37:25 AM EDT
[#10]
was.....need to renew
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 4:38:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I contend that most gun owners who are not members of the NRA or GOA are simply cheap.  As much as I like GOA, their effect on the national gun debate is about the same as a June Bug slowing my Miata when I am 70 mph on I20.  Good messasge; no weight to back it up.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 4:40:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Not yet.
Reasons:
They backed the banning of newly manufactured machine guns being available to the regular citizen.
almost 20 yrs ago if true.  You need to get over it
They concentrate too much on hunting and not enough on the fact that we are losing a right.
They are trying to woo tens of millions of hunters to join.  More deer hunters than AR owners.

1, is a basic right belonging to every citizen , suggest you read some of their stuff
2, all laws infringing upon this right are unconstitutional, suggest you read some of their stuff
3, it enables hunting not the other way around, suggest you read some of their stuff
I will go all in.

who and how much.  ya don't have an extra $25?
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 4:43:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I am not. When they decide that NFA is within the 2nd ammendment I will. I support pro-gun candidates directly and they know why.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 4:43:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm not cuz they only focus on protecting "hunting" firearms and don't seem too concerned about anything else
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 4:44:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 4:47:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Endowment member. What other entity advocates for gun owner rights?

See my signature line for my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 4:50:33 AM EDT
[#17]
That is a terrible rebute, saying that they are not members ONLY because they are cheap.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:01:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I will be the first to admit that the NRA is not perfect.  In fact, I despise a lot of what LaPierre and crew have done lately.  Their constant pandering to Bill Ruger (hey, give the NRA a million bucks and they'll love you too, even if you supported the AWB!) and quick forgiveness of S&W are just two examples of how the NRA has gone down the tubes as of late.  Other valid criticisms have also been mentioned in this thread (e.g. the NFA).

That said, I am a life member (since 1997) and I believe the best way to steer the NRA back to the proper course is to work to change the organization from within.  For example, I rarely vote in lockstep with the nominations committee's "recommended" board candidates.  

I can see why some people wouldn't want to belong the NRA, based on the constant mailings and items listed above.  I think the best solution is to do like we do every November and VOTE THE BUMS OUT.    Can't vote if you're not a life or 3+ year member!

I'm also a life member of the GOA.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:04:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Resepctfully,  having a fellow gun owner tell me "I need to get over it"  because the NRA saw fit to compromise my right as a lawful NFA owner is far more insulting than a liberal tellling me that no one needs an "assault" rifle.

Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:04:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not yet.
Reasons:
They are trying to woo tens of millions of hunters to join.  More deer hunters than AR owners.

1, is a basic right belonging to every citizen , suggest you read some of their stuff
2, all laws infringing upon this right are unconstitutional, suggest you read some of their stuff
3, it enables hunting not the other way around, suggest you read some of their stuff
I will go all in.

who and how much.  ya don't have an extra $25?

Who:
CCRKBA
GOA
SAF
KABA (prior to them being taken over by the ccrkba.)
^I admit it has been a while since I sent these 2 money.
Ben Avery(Local .gov range.
^Usually I just give Ben Avery $10 instead of the usual $5 fee and they get a $5 donation about once every other month or so.

And being cheap isn't the only reason I don't join the NRA.
I will read up on their stances as it has been a while.
I will not move on the NFA issue.
Hell I live in AZ, I am just happy that I live in a state that allows NFA.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:12:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:39:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I contend that most gun owners who are not members of the NRA or GOA are simply cheap.  As much as I like GOA, their effect on the national gun debate is about the same as a June Bug slowing my Miata when I am 70 mph on I20.  Good messasge; no weight to back it up.

Yup.  There is NO legitimate reason to not belong.  None.  The others are gnat spit in the ocean, due to their small size.  The NRA is the 1000 lb. gorilla in all legislative circles.  Any "compromise" is due to political realities--made necessary by only having 4 million concerned/paying gun owners and about 76 million slackers who are too cheap to do their part--$35 frigging dollars a year!  

+1
It can't be put any better.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:40:13 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Resepctfully,  having a fellow gun owner tell me "I need to get over it"  because the NRA saw fit to compromise my right as a lawful NFA owner is far more insulting than a liberal tellling me that no one needs an "assault" rifle.

Well, if it were true it would be different.  They backed the law as it provided GREAT relaxation of draconian laws and protection for firearms owners.  The Democrats added the MG ban in a middle-of-the-night scam session and no one (including Reagan) knew it was there until after it had been signed into law.  The Democrats (who controlled the House and Senate) screwed us--NOT Reagan and NOT the NRA.  If someone is going to not belong, at least use some accurate excuse and not an apocryphal
line of crap.  

So somehow this means they did not support the bill that was responsible for stopping the manufacture of machine guns for civilian possetion.
You can not say that it was not known before signing it either.
With the Dems in control the presidents people read every letter of that bill and accepted the NFA restriction as a compromise.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:42:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

You obviously aren't a member - their current stance is very supportive of "assault weapons", self defense, etc...

I think the NRA has moved pretty far from their "guns are for hunting" support.   They seem to get the slippery slope now.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:45:31 AM EDT
[#25]

If you own a gun, you should be a member of the NRA

What he said!

If you don't like the policies then join and get involved in changing them.  Not belonging is the same as helping the antis in my opinion.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:46:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, if it were true it would be different.  They backed the law as it provided GREAT relaxation of draconian laws and protection for firearms owners .  The Democrats added the MG ban in a middle-of-the-night scam session and no one (including Reagan) knew it was there until after it had been signed into law.  The Democrats (who controlled the House and Senate) screwed us--NOT Reagan and NOT the NRA.  If someone is going to not belong, at least use some accurate excuse and not an apocryphal
line of crap.  hr

"They backed the law as it provided GREAT relaxation of draconian laws and protection for firearms owners"

Exactly the position of the NRA is indeed to give one up one aspect of  liberty to perserve or enhance another.

"The Democrats added the MG ban in a middle-of-the-night scam session and no one (including Reagan) knew it was there until after it had been signed into law. "

Legislation was changed and the guardian of gun rights didnt know it happened becuase it was late at night ? You think NRA might have known what was going on and at least offered some opposition to the MG provisions ?  I guess they are only in Congress 9-5 ?  Hour for lunch ? 15 minute breaks every 2 hours ?

These statements prove what so many in the NFA community have always known

The NRA sold out one group of gun owners, the most regulated in the shooting community I might add, to gain favor and compromise on other issues.

The middle of the night covert legislation excuse is patently laughable.  The NRA was either woefully negligent in their duties...Congressional enactment of an outright gun ban and NRA knows nothing about it, did they find out about it the morning newpaper after it was law ?

or

NRA knew exactly what was going on and continue to this day to promote the "oh they snuck the ban in we did know it was late and we had already gone night night " excuse...

Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:47:12 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
The only reason why I am is because my club requires it.

+1
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:47:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:49:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Life Member.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:50:31 AM EDT
[#30]
I would love it they repealed the 86 MG Ban...I want my $500 Uzi!!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:51:25 AM EDT
[#31]
NO, i am not.  i choose to support 2nd amendment groups that support me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:52:10 AM EDT
[#32]
No, because I don't like to spend money, except for guns.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:53:18 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

The NRA (and Reagan) did NOT "support" the MG ban--it was NOT part of the negotiated agreement.  It was added secretly and "magically appeared" (was found) after it was signed into law. .  

Nobody read the bill before they signed it?  
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:55:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:56:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Well why don't we just use that trick then to slip in all kinds of progun stuff?

Shit.  We can't even get judges in office.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:56:54 AM EDT
[#36]
I am a member of the NRA and of the Texas State Rifle Association.  I don't agree with everything the NRA does but their hearts are in the right place.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 6:02:11 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, if it were true it would be different.  They backed the law as it provided GREAT relaxation of draconian laws and protection for firearms owners.  The Democrats added the MG ban in a middle-of-the-night scam session and no one (including Reagan) knew it was there until after it had been signed into law.  The Democrats (who controlled the House and Senate) screwed us--NOT Reagan and NOT the NRA.  If someone is going to not belong, at least use some accurate excuse and not an apocryphal
line of crap.  

So somehow this means they did not support the bill that was responsible for stopping the manufacture of machine guns for civilian possetion.
You can not say that it was not known before signing it either.
With the Dems in control the presidents people read every letter of that bill and accepted the NFA restriction as a compromise.

That's exactly what I'm saying--because I understand how laws are made.  They DID support the bill--as it contained MANY restorations for us and protections from other problems.  The MG ban was added after an agreement was made--an underhanded trick pulled by the Dems.  I was alive then--were you?  I had to show I.D. and sign to buy .22 LR ammo prior to that--were you?  I KNOW what happened--do you?  The NRA (and Reagan) did NOT "support" the MG ban--it was NOT part of the negotiated agreement.  It was added secretly and "magically appeared" (was found) after it was signed into law.  It can only be addressed by further legislation--that's how the system works, once a bill is signed into law.  Please educate yourself about these things before you spout off.  

I too understand how laws are made.
Didn't you ever see school house rock?
I am sorry you had to show ID and sign for ammo.
Truly I am.
I have had to do the same.
If you have ever ordered ammo from a distributor then you will still have to do the same thing at least once.
The more things change the more they stay the same.
No one in an administrative position signs any paper without knowing the text inside.
I am not "spouting off".
I am stating MY reasons for not giving them MY money.
Obviously you don't agree.
Why not move on rather then telling me I am un-educated about this legal decision.
Stop slandering members of the board and provide positive information.
-------------------------------------
Anyway.

Originally Posted By gigmike
If you don't like the policies then join and get involved in changing them. Not belonging is the same as helping the antis in my opinion.

This is a very good idea.
I have been considering it  for a while now, I was a junior member for years.(Thanks dad.)
Lately I have been looking into their stances and attempting to find out how their internal system works.
This way if I choose to join I can make a positive impact and do something other then donate my money.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 6:13:17 AM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By gigmike
If you don't like the policies then join and get involved in changing them. Not belonging is the same as helping the antis in my opinion.

Dont think for a minute that the NRA is not interested in involving, supporting or promoting the so called "Class 3" shooting discplines and community.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#39]
To be honest, the NRA to me does nothing more than preach to the choir. I have never seen $1.00 spent outside of the gun community.

How will we ever win? They say they are going after politicians, but in order to do so they need more $$$, or so that's what is in my Mail Box all the time...I dont know why they need more $$$, I don't see any of it being spent.

Link Posted: 4/22/2005 1:44:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Guess what time it is?
Time to join the NRA
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Holy SHit!!!

As someone who has a good relationship with some top people at the NRA, I can tell you this. The NRA leadership does support gun owners. However, the NRA can only protect our rights if they play the political game correctly. That is to compromise on the small issues until you have enough members in office to push through what you really want. Not only that, but the NRA rarely compromises on anything. Every member that joins the NRA makes democrats that less likely to vote for gun control on the percieved notion that they wi be defeated in re-election. Its much easier to defeat a bill that has never been introduced than one on the senate or house floor.

Link Posted: 4/22/2005 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Me, I can't take the constant begging & fear of loosing my rights on a daily basis mail storm generated by my sending my membership money. Seams to me the could fight the anti's with the money for memberships if they didn't squander it on junk mail requesting more money.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 2:22:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Holy SHit!!!

As someone who has a good relationship with some top people at the NRA, I can tell you this. The NRA leadership does support gun owners.  

Please ask your friends at the top of NRA why they refuse to get involved with the efforts and Congressional oversight into correcting the National Firearms Registraion Transfer Record (NFRTR).

Here we have a federal program to register certain firearms/items, (penalty for unregistered is 10 years) which is serverly in need of audit and overhaul to sort through YEARS of mismangement by the Treasury Department and your NRA wants nothing to do with it.

While folks have been prosecuted for "unregistered, illegal machine guns"  which HAD been tax paid but the NFA Branch had no record of, the NRA and all the clout they are supposed to have will not exert any effort to seek Congressional resolution.

Link Posted: 4/22/2005 2:44:40 PM EDT
[#45]
I won't support an organization that can't get me everything I want and I want it right now.  Also  can save a few bucks while I ride on the backs of all the suckers that do support the most effective pro-gun organization in the world while I can maintain my superior, self serving posture.

Besides, with three million members, they will probably continue protecting my rights anyway, and it won't cost me any money or bother.

No Regards,
Mild Bill
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 4:08:56 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
No, because I don't like to spend money, except for guns.

That's pretty obvious by the lack of "Team Member" status under your name.

Some of you guys need to pony up to help protect our rights.  The NRA is the most influential RKBA organization around and it'll only cost you $35/year to make a difference.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#47]
I normally don't join organizations. I was a member of the NRA for four years. During that time I feel they spent roughly half of my dues trying to get me to send them more money. Until they show me they are better at spending money I will support gun rights by being a member of this site, supporting it's sponsors, and voting for people who are willing to preserve my rights.

yakrat101
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Life member since 2003.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:07:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Not me.

I am a member of the NRA where I have achieve the honors of Sustaining Member and Legion of Honor. I even own an honorary share of Stock in NRA TV.

I'm also a life member of the GOA. One of these days I'll break down and join the TSRA as well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
To be honest, the NRA to me does nothing more than preach to the choir. I have never seen $1.00 spent outside of the gun community.

How will we ever win? They say they are going after politicians, but in order to do so they need more $$$, or so that's what is in my Mail Box all the time...I dont know why they need more $$$, I don't see any of it being spent.

Pray tell how you would "see" money used to influence politicians.  I'm sure the NRA had nothing to do with the expiration of the AWB last Sept.  

Frankly, the less you "see" the better.  

IIRC, the bill was signed in with a 'sunset' date when it went into effect. The election had everything to do with it not being an issue.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top