Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I finally could afford a life membership last year.

I just got my latest Amer. Rifleman today let's go thru a few articles.

Lapieree's colum is about fighting the .50 cal. ban.

Kayne Robinson article is about death by a thousand cut's, a warning from Europes gun owners.

Next is a big article about S.397 Protection of lawful commerce act.

After that, an article titled, "Only a .50 caliber ban?DON'T BELIEVE IT!"

We have an article's on Enfield serial numbers, rifling types,Tactical folding Knives,The Springfield Armory .45 GAP,and Para-Ordnance PXT LTC pistol.

So, I guess it's true, all the NRA cares about is hunting.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They backed the banning of newly manufactured machine guns being available to the regular citizen.
almost 20 yrs ago if true.  You need to get over it

Resepctfully,  having a fellow gun owner tell me "I need to get over it"  because the NRA saw fit to compromise my right as a lawful NFA owner is far more insulting than a liberal tellling me that no one needs an "assault" rifle.

And what are you doing about it?

A little thought.
Without the NRA, the Clinton Gun Ban would have been permanent.
FACT.
Chew on that while you bitch about the NRA not doing enough.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#3]
member for life baby
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Not. Wayne La Fagot is the reason . . .
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#5]
well since i havent been able to afford a membership to this site yet.......I havent become an NRA member yet either.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:37:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I am not yet...but I fully intend on becoming a life member very soon.  I just want to make sure I get some of this debt paid off first.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#7]
The NRA does do important stuff, but until they start getting rights back that were taken away under their watch I won't join.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The NRA does do important stuff, but until they start getting rights back that were taken away under their watch I won't join.

you mean like the assault weapon ban?
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#10]
+1
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I will be the first to admit that the NRA is not perfect.  In fact, I despise a lot of what LaPierre and crew have done lately.  Their constant pandering to Bill Ruger (hey, give the NRA a million bucks and they'll love you too, even if you supported the AWB!) and quick forgiveness of S&W are just two examples of how the NRA has gone down the tubes as of late.  Other valid criticisms have also been mentioned in this thread (e.g. the NFA).

That said, I am a life member (since 1997) and I believe the best way to steer the NRA back to the proper course is to work to change the organization from within.  For example, I rarely vote in lockstep with the nominations committee's "recommended" board candidates.  

I can see why some people wouldn't want to belong the NRA, based on the constant mailings and items listed above.  I think the best solution is to do like we do every November and VOTE THE BUMS OUT.    Can't vote if you're not a life or 3+ year member!

I'm also a life member of the GOA.  

Any excuse to blast Bill Ruger when NO ONE yet has presented any documented proof of what they say he did.

I guess it fits, as this appears to be a "bash the NRA" thread anyway, let's just bash everything that we don't know anything about.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#12]
FloridaConfederate,

I read the article that refers to what you speak of. I believe it was posted by  a South Carolina attorney. I understand your sentiment. In the scope of all legislation its just not that important right now. Lawsuit preemption and ccw are "that" important. I have no doubt that ILA will eventually get around to fixing ATF abuses. But, considering the potential impact of based on the political capital spent on legislation, Lawsuit preemption wins every time.

For example, NRA has been the driving force behind the majority of CCW laws passed in the last ten years. I personaly did a legal review on the Ohio CCW legislation. It wasn't perfect but eventualy it will be. How many people has that helped compared to potentially fixing erronous ATF NFA prosecutions. If everyone was a NRA member we wouldn't have this discussion because we could get everything passed at once.

Politics is all about "strategery," and currently we have some political capital to spend, what are we going to do with it? I hope that everyone took note of the NRA key note speakers during the last two conventions and their impact on firearms legislation over the last four years.

Link Posted: 4/22/2005 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Not. Wayne La Fagot is the reason . . .

Well, that really explains a lot........................
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Not since '94. I only support gun rights organizations that support my gun rights, not compromise them.

How about the JPFO? They seem pretty adamant about protecting our rights... though they don't get quite the publicity as the NRA.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I am a Life Member and proud of it.
They are the best thing going for all gun owners at the present time.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#17]
+1 here, sorry guys.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 6:14:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Member for 27 years. Money well spent.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#19]
This is the 3rd year of being a firearm owner( it took me 6yrs to de-brainwash myself because of all the anti-gun propoganda Britain pumps into your head), my 2nd year of being a member of the NRA and my 2nd year of being a member of the Ohio Gun Collectors Assc
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Why do some only equate the NRA with legislative issues? The NRA spends a shit load of money on all kinds of pro-gun activities. The Friends of the NRA is one hell of a program. There safety programs are also great. It's well worth the $35 or $25 with a coupon to join. If you feel the NRA isn't living up to your idea of the RKBA issues, then join and tell yourself the money is going to one of their many other programs.

As others have said, if you're a gun owner, then you should be an NRA member. If you're not a member, then you're just part of the problem.

Exactly!

2 life members here in this house.  Also members of GOA, JPFO, 2nd Amendments Sisters, NVCDL.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Yup, NRA member because some competitions require it. Also a member of USA Shooting and Utah Precision Marksmanship Society!
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I contend that most gun owners who are not members of the NRA or GOA are simply cheap.  As much as I like GOA, their effect on the national gun debate is about the same as a June Bug slowing my Miata when I am 70 mph on I20.  Good messasge; no weight to back it up.

Yup.  There is NO legitimate reason to not belong.  None.  The others are gnat spit in the ocean, due to their small size.  The NRA is the 1000 lb. gorilla in all legislative circles.  Any "compromise" is due to political realities--made necessary by only having 4 million concerned/paying gun owners and about 76 million slackers who are too cheap to do their part--$35 frigging dollars a year!  

TOTAL BULLSHIT.

The nra endorses anti-gun politicions.

Just how the hell do you expect to win like that?

If they are so mighty, how come mike dewine from Ohio voted to renew the AWB, and now has co-sponsered a new one with fienstien AFTER the nra endorsed him.

Yeah,,he`s REAL scared of the nra.

You believers are dilusional.

Link Posted: 4/22/2005 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Enemy,

Thank you for posting your comments in a respectful manner without flame.  You are spot on with your view of the political process.  

However ,perhaps if you owned NFA items you might be concerned about the ATF having NO ACCOUNTABILITY for a) their sworn obligation to properly administer a tax collection/registration program b) the very registration which prevents you from becoming a felon because gov.org will/can not keep thier affairs in order

Is there not value in demanding the agency charged with upholding the very laws the NRA folks are so proud to have wrangled are enforced with competency and consistency ?

It is not because of financial reasons that the NRA turned(s) its back on the NFA community..it is because they will not associate themselves with machine guns, "silencers" and sawed off shotguns .  That is why they sold us out in 1986. They then spun the outrageous reason (that has been regurgitaed in this very thread) that the legislation they agreed to was changed in the dead of night, made into law and they knew nothing of it,  come on NRA.

If the NRA did not either willfully compromise the MG ban to gain other provisions or at their explanation been asleep at the wheel,  you realize you would be able to file a Form 1, get the required drilling fixtures and turn your non sear blocked AR to select fire in your own workshop ?  

Shall not be infringed ?

If that doesnt piss you off just keep dining on what the NRA sees fit to feed you and for you to own.

If you are a NRA member and you're not pushing the organization to, at a minimum, push for oversight into registry abuses, then you are part of the problem.  But as long as you have your collapsible stock, bayo lug and flash supp everything is hunky dory.

Link Posted: 4/22/2005 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I agree that the NRA usn't perfect but they are the only major voice that we have against organizations that want to take all of our guns away. I joined the NRA because I truly believe that  they are the only reason we still have second amendment rights. It sucks that we have to fight to keep our rights, but look at other countries that didn't, and don't have the NRA. where are their guns?

You may not agree with everything the say, but seriously, if your not a member, I hope that you are fighting for our rights in other ways.

Also, just joining the NRA doesn't do anything for our rights by itself. If you are a memebr you should be writing your politicians every chance you get. Everyone on here can write a couple of letters a week on a variety of issues.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#26]
lifer here

I know the have their flaws and are more "hunter" oriented but they are out only viable defense. they wont change their ways untill you join the fight and tell them what to fight for.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#27]
If the AWB had become permanent would it change your feelings about the org ?
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 7:51:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I contend that most gun owners who are not members of the NRA or GOA are simply cheap.  As much as I like GOA, their effect on the national gun debate is about the same as a June Bug slowing my Miata when I am 70 mph on I20.  Good messasge; no weight to back it up.

Yup.  There is NO legitimate reason to not belong.  None.  The others are gnat spit in the ocean, due to their small size.  The NRA is the 1000 lb. gorilla in all legislative circles.  Any "compromise" is due to political realities--made necessary by only having 4 million concerned/paying gun owners and about 76 million slackers who are too cheap to do their part--$35 frigging dollars a year!  

You know what. You just made me want to join.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#30]
All of you who put down the NRA for not supporting EBR's should check out the new NRA.

They support our right to own EBR's

They have a no compromise attitude.  

Join for a year and see for yourself.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TOTAL BULLSHIT.

The nra endorses anti-gun politicions.

Just how the hell do you expect to win like that?

If they are so mighty, how come mike dewine from Ohio voted to renew the AWB, and now has co-sponsered a new one with fienstien AFTER the nra endorsed him.

Yeah,,he`s REAL scared of the nra.

You believers are dilusional.

Name them and show their anti-gun records.
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 2:31:46 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I finally could afford a life membership last year.

I just got my latest Amer. Rifleman today let's go thru a few articles.

Lapieree's colum is about fighting the .50 cal. ban.

Kayne Robinson article is about death by a thousand cut's, a warning from Europes gun owners.

Next is a big article about S.397 Protection of lawful commerce act.

After that, an article titled, "Only a .50 caliber ban?DON'T BELIEVE IT!"

We have an article's on Enfield serial numbers, rifling types,Tactical folding Knives,The Springfield Armory .45 GAP,and Para-Ordnance PXT LTC pistol.

So, I guess it's true, all the NRA cares about is hunting.

Well look at the meadium you are holding. Easy to preach there.
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 2:49:18 AM EDT
[#33]
NRA life here...

They are the reason we still have our guns...

oh and yes, they are very supportive of EBR's....
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 2:54:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 5:22:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Yeah your right. It is about the $35. (Actually its $25 now in the mail I get from the NRA)

Never mind the fact that the NRA compromised your rights away to OWN TRUE ASSAULT WEAPONS. then lied about it to cover their tracks.  Thier support of "EBR's" is good enough.  

Never mind that the NRA refuses to lead or involve themselves with demanding oversight into the very agency charged with the Federal laws governing your precious EBRS. They will not even use thier legislative network to pave the way with individual Congressmen. WTF ?

Yes it is about me me me and $35. Even though the very community affected by the NRA misdeeds, including myself...HAVE APPRECIATED IN MANY CASES OVER %700 INCREASE IN THE VALUE OF OUR REGISTERED ITEMS we still fight to remove the laws which would devalue our investment overnight so others and future generations can enjoy these freedoms.

The Eagle, Women and LE programs, as great as they are, mean nothing until to your Constitutionally afforded rights are restored.

And since we  sing the praises of the new "no compromise" NRA.  Please tell me about thier involvement on :

BATF's "administrative interpretation" to prohibit the importation of firearm recievers ?

How bout parts kits ?

Barrels ?

Any idea what the NRA is doing now that BATF is dicking around with legality of pistol manufacture from rifle recievers  ?

The answers would be NOTHING.  You are still be being disarmed right under your nose, piece by piece, ADMINISTRATIVELY.  

Until the NRA will address these administrative abuses your rights are in a constant state of uncertaintity.  THE NRA HAS NO INTEREST IN TAKING TO TASK THE ADMINISTRATIVE ACTIONS OF BATF.

If there is a bonafide representative of the organization here who would like to stab at the answers we are seeking I would be happy to post or forward specifc questions with appropriate cites.

Link Posted: 4/23/2005 5:47:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 6:01:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Lifer since 1980.
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 6:10:13 AM EDT
[#38]
NRA Life Member since 1986  
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 6:17:48 AM EDT
[#39]
The BATF only has the regulatory authority to stop importation, etc. becasue of GCA 68 and some of the statutuory enactments of Clintons Executive orders. We can fight the BATF all we want but wihtout going after the enabling legislation nothing will happen. FOPA, while flawed, did correct a lot of the abuses of GCA 68. The threat right now isn't another assault weapons ban or importation. Its preventing the whole industry from being bankrupted by reckless lawsuits.
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 6:45:50 AM EDT
[#40]
How about all 60,000+ arfcom members join the NRA in a voting member status.

Do you think that would form a big enough voting bloc to get what we wanted?
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#41]
You guys who say the we are just cheap who don't subscribe to the NRA are way wrong in your assumptions. There are many reasons why one wouldn't belong to the NRA.

I happen to disagree with many things they do and I WILL NOT SUPPORT an advocacy group who will repeatedly compromise on their sole reason for being, on a constant basis. It's just wrong.

They sold me out when they rubber stamped the 1986 FOPA, they sold me out when they rubber stamped the 1994 ban. They sold me out when they forgave Smith and Wesson. I am really sorry, but I don't compromise on my beliefs - EVER. I expect the same by those who proport to represent me. If you sell me out, screw you and you can kiss my behind! I am not cheap, I have principles. Learn the difference.

I told the NRA this exact thing when they called me yesterday. I refuse to support a group that will not support me.

For the record, I have joined them from 1990-94, didn't renew after the ban. 1998-2000, got fed up with the S&W/Ruger fiasco. I also got way tired of all the BS mailing haunting me to give more and more money. Seems they could save several million in postage if they would just curtail the begging scheme.

If you call me cheap, you are dead wrong. I did a monumental petition drive pre 1994 and wrote tons of letters to deaf/dumb lib/democrat reps who ruled NV at the time. The NRA also supported a known gun grabber dimwit (Harry Reid) for re-election over a lifetime NRA member who was running opposed to Reid, Jim Gibbons. Jim was a down to earth, gun rights supporter, the Commander of the Reno area NVANG and a hell of a nice guy. I worked on his election commitee. The NRA flat refused to support him over Harry Reid. It's just plain wrong.

The NRA can screw off until they support all gun rights, not just the duck hunters and deer hunters.

Maybe you guys who blindly follow the NRA should learn a little more about which you speak.

Flame away! I played the game before.
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 8:17:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Good post.
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 8:39:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Rtech do not challenge the reality of the flock.

Elmer Fudd gets his reality from American Rifleman Magazine and by attending NRA pep rallies.

You are part of the unwashed NFA crowd.  We sold you out in 1986.  Nobody needs MG they are only used for killing. Please be happy you do not have to sign for .22 ammo and STFU. Please go away your issues are not important to us.  Keychain bullets,  challenge coins and scrambled egg bedecked hats are our focus.

Now raise your M16, er em muzzeloader above your head and shout to the masses "Out of my cold dead hands".

Link Posted: 4/23/2005 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Me, I can't take the constant begging & fear of loosing my rights on a daily basis mail storm generated by my sending my membership money. Seams to me the could fight the anti's with the money for memberships if they didn't squander it on junk mail requesting more money.

Yep.  I would be a lot better at renewing on time if it weren't for the fact that I know that a large chunk of the dues I send will simply be used to spam me.

Because of this, I have been far more likely these past few years to send my dues to GOA instead.
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Used to be in, now I'm out.

2 Big Reasons:

1)  They give in constantly for what they call "the greater good".
2)  They spent so much of my damn money soliciting me for more of my money, that I felt I was just paying to be contacted for more money.  A vicious circle of donate, donate, donate, we need more money so we can ask you to donate some more.

non-productive...

MournSword
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Lot of people here seem to have forgotten how to read....
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#47]
I see some people say that the NRA wastes money on magazines and other "things" that they send us. Have you ever read any of the NRA publications. They have many advertisers in there which pay for those magazines as well as generating money for the NRA. The reason they advertise is becasuse the NRA has so many members.

Here are a few things I would like to see happen though...
1) pass laws that repeal the AWB in the rest of the states that have them
2) pass laws that allow for the private ownership of military small arms

Link Posted: 4/23/2005 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#49]
OK, I belong to all three  NRA, GOA, JPFO. My wife belong to SAS.
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Well, at least some of you will be able to say that you didn't give into the NRA when you don't have any gun rights to worry about. hr

Well, at least some of you are statisfied with whatever you can suckle from the teat of the NRA and see no need  far stricter Consitituional protection.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top