Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Did it steam over its own tow line ?
Or were they looking for the missing key ?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Straits of Malacca is a nightmare. We went though there at a high rate of speed after 9/11. I have sailed those straits 4 times when I was forward deployed...nightmare 
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:30:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh crap, not again! Straights of Malacca though – that's very dicey water.

Hoping and praying that there's no casualties, and that damage is minimal 
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Again, which one?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
He has a boat named after him?
Probably for Admiral McCain.
Again, which one?
Bof dem.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
AGAIN?
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:34:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You know ... the ocean is pretty damn big. So big that you can go days and days without seeing another ship save way out on the horizon.

There's two different state-of-the-art surface search radars active at all times and a watch team on the bridge tracking anything remotely close.

When warships enter the shipping lanes it's not unusual to plus up the bridge watch with another couple of lookouts but still it's not like rush hour traffic with hundreds of large ships passing to-n-fro.

View Quote
I really hate Monday morning quarterbacking something like this since I was never in the Navy and never was part of a crew for a large ship... but God damn this is fucking unacceptable. You would think since we JUST had the entire command staff of another destroyer relieved for a fatal collision that crews would be extra cautious but I guess not.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Did it run into a brain tumor?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ship is leaning to the left then ?
View Quote
In navy parlance it's referred to as a port list
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I really hate Monday morning quarterbacking something like this since I was never in the Navy and never was part of a crew for a large ship... but God damn this is fucking unacceptable. You would think since we JUST had the entire command staff of another destroyer relieved for a fatal collision that crews would be extra cautious but I guess not.
View Quote
How do you know the crew didn't do everything reasonably expected of them to avoid this collision?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Hope our sailors are o.k. but there is soooooo many jokes to be made
with the name of that ship.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like ships that don't crash.
View Quote
Are you alluding to hero's that are not pow's? I like it
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn, it's always the ship you don't see that it's you
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Agreed, but my conspiracy meter is starting to ping.  Just makes me wonder if there is a bounty on US naval ships in the Pacific.  Probably not but I refuse to believe this could happen twice in such a short period of time by chance.  

Occam's razor and all that would say it is pure chance.  Who knows.  I hope our sailors are safe and accounted for.
View Quote
Interesting theory.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe Danica ought to sponsor the Navy.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:42:14 PM EDT
[#16]
so between this and the other ship recently hit, how badly does this degrade our naval capabilities in that part of the world?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How do you know the crew didn't do everything reasonably expected of them to avoid this collision?
View Quote
Listen, I hear ya. Shit happens.  I would say that I'm partly basing that statement on the numerous career navy people on this board who have stated repeatedly that a navy warship of this size having a collision while under way is completely unacceptable no matter what. No excuse if the protocol is being followed correctly.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Fucking again? Damn.

One Summer. Two destroyers. Fuck. I hope the casualties are few in number and that anyone that may have gone overboard are recovered.

Damn, this shit is getting old. Can we please weed out incompetence?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:45:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Probably everyone doing NKO or SAPR, you know, the administration shit the Navy annually promises will go away yet never does.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Listen, I hear ya. Shit happens.  I would say that I'm partly basing that statement on the numerous career navy people on this board who have stated repeatedly that a navy warship of this size having a collision while under way is completely unacceptable no matter what. No excuse if the protocol is being followed correctly.
View Quote
True, but you just don't know. Malfunction, weather, any sort of variable could go into this.

And I am holding off on making brain tumor/Navy jokes until the crew is all accounted for safely.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:46:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Fucking again? Damn.

One Summer. Two destroyers. Fuck. I hope the casualties are few in number and that anyone that may have gone overboard are recovered.

Damn, this shit is getting old. Can we please weed out incompetence?
View Quote
If we could, John McCain would be unemployed.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:46:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ok, I understand that perhaps this a brutal shipping channel, but when you are the Skipper of what I'm sure is at least a billion dollar warship how the fuck do you let this happen? Unfuckingbelieveable.
View Quote
Skippy was probbly getting a massage from a Flip cabin/Ladyboy
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:46:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Shit Johnie Wet Start has ship named after him. Caused the death of 154 sailors on the USS Forestall and a traitor to the POW/MIA cause. and a North Vietnamese informant know as the "SONG BIRD"....no wonder this country is screwed with idiots like that in Congress...! Nothing but a POS RHINO who sleeps with Soros and any muslum for a dollar donation to his McCain FOUNDATION slush fund....
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, we better keep it away from Vietnam. We do no want another gulf incident.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

vs.

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#27]
we need more severe punishment for ignorance
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:50:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Purge all the real leaders for politically correct fucksticks, and this is what happens.
View Quote
This is my suspicion too. 
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Rear ended the USS Graham?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:50:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ship is leaning to the left then ?
View Quote
There is no "left" on a ship.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:50:39 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote
Traffic map is always fun to watch
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:52:22 PM EDT
[#32]
What's the guy on the bottom left doing?  Hoping for a stop sign? 
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Agreed, but my conspiracy meter is starting to ping.  Just makes me wonder if there is a bounty on US naval ships in the Pacific.  Probably not but I refuse to believe this could happen twice in such a short period of time by chance.  

Occam's razor and all that would say it is pure chance.  Who knows.  I hope our sailors are safe and accounted for.
View Quote
Just because something happens twelve times a year does not mean it happens once a month.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#34]
It was starting to sound like the damage wasn't too serious at first but now I am seeing stuff on Twitter suggesting that crews are fighting flooding in two crew berthing areas in "shaft alley".
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Well, perhaps if the skippers spent more time driving the boat and less time at diversity training these things wouldn't happen.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Maybe Danica ought to sponsor the Navy.
View Quote
Was she on board?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I looked at that area on a map and yeah it's freaking nuts.
View Quote
It was scary as fuck in a ten knot vessel when everyone else is doing twenty. 
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:56:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It was starting to sound like the damage wasn't too serious at first but now I am seeing stuff on Twitter suggesting that crews are fighting flooding in two crew berthing areas in "shaft alley".
View Quote
That may be the gayest sounding thing I have ever read.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:57:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Shit Johnie Wet Start has ship named after him. Caused the death of 154 sailors on the USS Forestall and a traitor to the POW/MIA cause. and a North Vietnamese informant know as the "SONG BIRD"....no wonder this country is screwed with idiots like that in Congress...! Nothing but a POS RHINO who sleeps with Soros and any muslum for a dollar donation to his McCain FOUNDATION slush fund....
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:57:42 PM EDT
[#41]
From the ship Facebook page it looks like they had a nice fishing and cigars event recently.

That’s a busy area.  The Chinese would certainly be happy for us to reduce our presence there.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Got it. This shouldn't happen. And the crew probably screwed up. But the fact is, everyone is speculating, and we don't know anything.

Sailors could be dead, missing, injured, or fighting to keep their ship afloat.

Give the speculation and crew bashing a rest until we at least know if everyone is alive and accounted for.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What is up with all these US Navy ships hitting shit?
View Quote
... none of them hit shit.
Where are you getting this misinformation?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#45]
UPDATE: USS John S. McCain (DDG 56) – seen here in a file photo – is currently sailing under its own power and heading to port.
Search and rescue efforts are underway in coordination with local authorities. In addition to tug boats out of Singapore, the Republic of Singapore Navy ship RSS Gallant (97), RSN helicopters and Police Coast Guard vessel Basking Shark (55) are currently in the area to render assistance.
MV-22s and SH-60s from USS America are also responding.
Initial reports indicate John S. McCain sustained damage to her port side aft. The extent of damage and personnel injuries is being determined. The incident will be investigated.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#46]

The location where the Alnic MC merchant vessel came to a halt after a collision with the guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain east of
Singapore.

A news release from the Navy said: 'Initial reports indicate John S. McCain sustained damage to her port side aft.'Search and rescue efforts are underway in coordination with local authorities.'In addition to tug boats out of Singapore, the Republic of Singapore Navy
ship RSS Gallant (97), RSN helicopters and Police Coast Guard vessel
Basking Shark (55) are currently in the area to render assistance.'MV-22s and SH-60s from USS America are also responding.'The damage and personnel injuries are being determined. The incident will be investigated, the Navy said.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:01:40 PM EDT
[#47]
I know a former skipper of that ship. A super guy.
Prayers for the crew.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#48]
So how often do collisions occur in that area?   Every other ship there look like a Tijuana delivery truck?  

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:02:28 PM EDT
[#49]
They should teach more navigation classes and less social justice warrior bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Who are these sorry motherfuckers in command of our destroyers!!!
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top