Page / 13
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#2]
She's into Malacca's, Dino.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:10:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Fun is going through there on a large semi-submersible being towed by two ocean going tugs- not!  In addition to all of the normal commercial traffic there are a lot of fishing vessels both large and small; by the time we crested Indonesia we had a couple of nets on our sponsons.  And yeah, there are pirates as well.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just because something happens twelve times a year does not mean it happens once a month.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, but my conspiracy meter is starting to ping.  Just makes me wonder if there is a bounty on US naval ships in the Pacific.  Probably not but I refuse to believe this could happen twice in such a short period of time by chance.  

Occam's razor and all that would say it is pure chance.  Who knows.  I hope our sailors are safe and accounted for.
Just because something happens twelve times a year does not mean it happens once a month.
Sure.  Like I said, probably coincidence.  But, given the high tensions everywhere in the far east and that some of these freighters are piloted by captains from sketchy countries I suspect everything including human error, mechanical failure, and sabotage.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:13:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
LoL at the dude on the bottom left.  He's gonna be playing sea frogger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
LoL at the dude on the bottom left.  He's gonna be playing sea frogger.
He's the only one moving, the rest are anchored. Except for a few little boats.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It was starting to sound like the damage wasn't too serious at first but now I am seeing stuff on Twitter suggesting that crews are fighting flooding in two crew berthing areas in "shaft alley".
View Quote
Are you sure that wasn't two berthing areas "and" shaft alley?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Shit Johnie Wet Start has ship named after him. Caused the death of 154 sailors on the USS Forestall and a traitor to the POW/MIA cause. and a North Vietnamese informant know as the "SONG BIRD"....no wonder this country is screwed with idiots like that in Congress...! Nothing but a POS RHINO who sleeps with Soros and any muslum for a dollar donation to his McCain FOUNDATION slush fund....
View Quote
I'm not certain you could get any more things actually wrong in this idiotic post.

McCain had nothing to do with the Forrestal fire, other than his plane taking debris from the plane next to his that was hit by a rocket fired from the other side of the deck, and this ship isn't named after him, it's named after his grandfather.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There is no "left" on a ship.
View Quote
Your metaphor meter needs adjusting
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They should teach more navigation classes and less social justice warrior bullshit.
View Quote
Naa, more diversity training will fix it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It was starting to sound like the damage wasn't too serious at first but now I am seeing stuff on Twitter suggesting that crews are fighting flooding in two crew berthing areas in "shaft alley".
View Quote
There are no berthing areas in shaft alley.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#11]
What in the eff is going on Navy?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:21:29 PM EDT
[#12]
So have we removed all the electronics off our military vessels or something? Stick somebody up in the "crows nest" with some binos or something.

Havent read whole thread so maybe logical explanation. Hope nobody was hurt or killed.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:22:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ship is leaning to the left then ?
Ship (Sen. John McCain) is leaning to the left (liberal).
Did that help?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:22:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
He has a boat named after him?
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Figures, RINOs are not nimble creatures that can turn on a dime.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What in the eff is going on Navy?
View Quote
Nevermind
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Fuck
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:27:51 PM EDT
[#19]
If this collision is the McCain's fault (and no matter what happened they share in the collision) then I think that all SWO watchstanders must be required to take and pass the same tests that merchant mariners are required to take. I don't know what involved to be a SWO to be honest but what ever it is, it's not working.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:29:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

There are no berthing areas in shaft alley.
View Quote
There are three just aft of it.

And repair locker 3 is on the port side just aft of it too.

CPO berthng on the stbd side.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:30:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Damn
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:30:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Maybe Danica ought to sponsor the Navy.
View Quote
Whoa there buddy. She just had another top 30 finish yesterday!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Damn it, none of us wanted to read that.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm trying to figure out what the headline would be. Nazi transgender pirate brings warship to hate rally?
View Quote
That would be so fuck'in rad....
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ugh.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If this collision is the McCain's fault (and no matter what happened they share in the collision) then I think that all SWO watchstanders must be required to take and pass the same tests that merchant mariners are required to take. I don't know what involved to be a SWO to be honest but what ever it is, it's not working.
View Quote
I am afraid you are correct.  SWOs have a hard enough time learning to drive a ship as it is on their reduced timelines.  

I am not sure how the past 8 years of confusing at best training demands and non-sailing duties have eroded their ship handling skills.

and thats about as nicely as I can put what is really running through my head.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:37:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Purge all the real leaders for politically correct fucksticks, and this is what happens.
View Quote
How many officers did that commie foxtrot sierra purge thousands?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:37:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Damn it all.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
He has a boat named after him?
View Quote
Soon.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Shit Johnie Wet Start has ship named after him. Caused the death of 154 sailors on the USS Forestall and a traitor to the POW/MIA cause. and a North Vietnamese informant know as the "SONG BIRD"....no wonder this country is screwed with idiots like that in Congress...! Nothing but a POS RHINO who sleeps with Soros and any muslum for a dollar donation to his McCain FOUNDATION slush fund....
View Quote
Wow 

you gotta turn turn off the internet for a day or two.

youre in too deep
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:41:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
What the fuck. 

What is going on over there?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:42:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I am afraid you are correct.  SWOs have a hard enough time learning to drive a ship as it is on their reduced timelines.  

I am not sure how the past 8 years of confusing at best training demands and non-sailing duties have eroded their ship handling skills.

and thats about as nicely as I can put what is really running through my head.
View Quote
It's like I said in the Fitz thread: SWOs need to have 3 career paths.

Navigation officers who sail the ship and are experts in navigation, the sailing rules, and ship handling
Engineering officers who actually are engineers and experts in the ship's engines and auxiliaries
And tactical/weapons officers who fight the ship and are experts in its weapons system.

Of course all three would be cross trained to an extent but they would be experts in their specialty.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#35]
At this point I am inclined to believe the possibility of these collisions being intentional and it may be time that the U.S. Navy takes some sort of action to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:44:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Fun is going through there on a large semi-submersible being towed by two ocean going tugs- not!  In addition to all of the normal commercial traffic there are a lot of fishing vessels both large and small; by the time we crested Indonesia we had a couple of nets on our sponsons.  And yeah, there are pirates as well.  
View Quote
Not to sound ignorant or anything, but what the hell is a "semi-submersible"?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:46:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Good grief dude, thats some industrial-grade DERP right there.
Did you eat a lot of paint chips as a kid?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:47:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
At this point I am inclined to believe the possibility of these collisions being intentional and it may be time that the U.S. Navy takes some sort of action to make sure it doesn't happen again.
View Quote
dunno, I suspect we have a lot more ships in the Asian theater then usual
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Apparently they are the USS John McCain and the USS Fitzgerald....

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Thoughts and prayers with the crew.  One would think that with the recent incident that there would be an extra level of vigilance for crews manning the watch in major shipping lanes like this.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:51:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Fuck
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

dunno, I suspect we have a lot more ships in the Asian theater then usual
View Quote
Our ships are too important an asset and obvious targests for possible foul play from China.
The Navy should let everyone know that WE have right of way unless you want to become a submarine.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#43]
We may mock China's aircraft carrier, but their sailors have managed to not run it into a slow merchant ship twice in the last 12 months.

Our skills are slipping, but at least we have a brave veteran leading our communist uprising.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#44]
The Strait of Malacca is VERY busy. I conned USS Waddell (DDG-24) through the Strait at night in 1984.  At one point I had 30+ radar contacts, all with a CPA less than 500 yards.  The Strait is narrow, an there is very little room, or time, to maneuver.
You had super tankers, freighters, fishing boats, and canoes all in the Strait.  Not everyone followed the Rules of the Road. 
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Our ships are too important an asset and obvious targests for possible foul play from China.
The Navy should let everyone know that WE have right of way unless you want to become a submarine.
View Quote
So the incompetence of the watch officers on our warships means we should start blasting merchant ships going about their way?

Furthermore the navigation rules are for everyone to follow, including US Navy ships. They aren't special.

Granted we don't know the detail with this one yet, but I doubt it's some huge conspiracy.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:59:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Wait....what?......wow
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Floating drilling rig
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:03:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Floating platforms, likes an oil rig or dry dock; in operation they can significantly change their draft (how deep they sit in the water), but are generally transported while ballasted up (running shallow).
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:04:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Liberty Mutual should cover it.

ETA: Didn't know about missing sailors.  Hope all is well.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Floating drilling rig
View Quote
Massive floating drilling rig, generally speaking.  I was part of a design team for one.  They don't move easily.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top