Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
    Single cab truck would limit the number of idiots he would haul around. Even a 4dr car would haul as many as an SUV of any type.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In that price range I would look for a Tahoe either a late 90s or early 00s.  Should be able to get a decent one for that price.

I see decent ones in my area listed for $4k all week long and could probably get them down.  

Stupid simple to work on and parts prices are cheap.
A Tahoe? The point of the kids vehicle is to haul himself and not the whole town.

I stand by my original post, Ford Ranger with a manual.
    Single cab truck would limit the number of idiots he would haul around. Even a 4dr car would haul as many as an SUV of any type.
Obviously you think kids will only ride if they have a seatbelt. In my day the Tahoe would have been packed and had a couple screwing in the back.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#2]
FPNI.

Ford Ranger is a damn nice first vehicle and learning to drive a manual will give him a leg up over his peers.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know ow where you heard that. We had two different ones that each went to over 200 with very few problems. 300 HP and over 25 mpg on the highway, too. Excellent used cars.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A 1500-3000 dollar version of any of the cars you listed is just cruel and unusual punishment. I have lost count of the number of cheap pontiacs I have seen people buy just to break down. For escapes that you can get for 3k are older models, lots of problems. Focus for 3k? Gonna be high miles.

My first car was a 1989 Accord Se-i for <2,000.  It never, ever left me stranded with all the miles and years I drove it. Get a Civic, Accord, Camry, Corolla, Rav 4, or CRV and be done with it. First generation CRV are great cars (get awd).

If your budget is 3k and you want a reliable car, stay away from domestic. This is my opinion based on my experiences. YMMV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those of you who have bought a kid their first vehicle in the past 5 years or so, what'd you get for them?

My boy just turned 16 and we are looking to get him his first vehicle. Was thinking $3000 for a spending limit. Not sure if I should go with a $1500 total beater or spend $3000 or so on something a little better. I think he should have to go through the beater/jalopy experience (shouldn't be a problem with only domestic makes as choices, eh?), but the wife wants him to be safe with less risk of breaking down on the side of the road somewhere. Saturn Vue, Chevy Malibu, Ford Focus, Ford Escape, and Pontiac Vibe have been potential candidates so far.

A 1500-3000 dollar version of any of the cars you listed is just cruel and unusual punishment. I have lost count of the number of cheap pontiacs I have seen people buy just to break down. For escapes that you can get for 3k are older models, lots of problems. Focus for 3k? Gonna be high miles.

My first car was a 1989 Accord Se-i for <2,000.  It never, ever left me stranded with all the miles and years I drove it. Get a Civic, Accord, Camry, Corolla, Rav 4, or CRV and be done with it. First generation CRV are great cars (get awd).

If your budget is 3k and you want a reliable car, stay away from domestic. This is my opinion based on my experiences. YMMV.
Words of wisdom.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I bought my own damn car at 16.
View Quote
Me too.  My dad made me go get a loan (he cosigned) for $1500 that I paid off over the summer.  

'83 Chevy Caprice with a 5.0 V-8 two-barreled carb pushing maybe 200 hp if it wasn't a hot day, but 55k miles (not bad at all on a 16 year old vehicle).  Oh, and a white vinyl roof.  

I really wish I still had that thing; it was a fun car.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

id be pissed to get any of those choices why not a small truck?
View Quote
That's a possibility too, we just haven't looked at them very much.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:35:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If they're not the best, why only American brands in your driveway? You make no sense.

He should buy his own car anyway.
View Quote
This is the correct reply. What kind of vehicle does HE want?

AB
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Old Honda Accord or Civic.  They've been assembled in OH for decades.  The only problem with those is they are the most stolen cars in history of cars, but a steering wheel lock should mitigate that risk.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#9]
You know that many "foreign makes" are made right here in the USA?  There is a Kia plant right down the road from me.  There is also a Hyundai plant within a couple hours drive.  On top of that, many American made cars contain many imported parts.  I don't think that the car you seek exists.  You might think it does, but it doesn't.  You need to find the best condition car for the money that you want to spend and not arbitrarily limit your options based on what you perceive as foreign versus domestic.  Also, you were considering a Pontiac?  Seriously?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#10]
A single cab or extended colorado or ranger with a 5 speed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:38:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is the correct reply. What kind of vehicle does HE want?

AB
View Quote
The more important question:  what kind of car can HE afford?   I'd be willing to pitch in a couple thousand for my kid as a loan to be paid off by slave labor, but making the kid pay for the car is great way to make him care about the car.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:39:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

+1. What constitutes a "foreign make" these days? FYI, the Toyota Camry has more American components in it than any other sedan..even "American" makes. Get off the foreign hangup and get the best, most reliable car you can find in that price range. A Civic or Corolla would probably be my two top contenders. Saturn Vues are pos's, so eliminate that from the get go.
View Quote
Let's not forget resale value.

That's the part that makes it a wiser investment. Learning to purchase a depreciating asset so as not to lose all the money you put in it is prudent.

I've lost money on a few but I've made money also. Not anticipated but it can happen.

Example:

Back in 2002 I picked up a 95 Talon TSI AWD that the guy had blown the engine up for $1,500. Had a spare 6-bolt laying around I had already gone through. Added some basic maintenance & performance parts.

One week after getting it all back together a 16yr old girl pulled out in front of me & the insurance company totaled it. Had full coverage including aftermarket parts. Closest comp was $12,000 at the time. I got to keep the car & got a check for $11,000.

Spent about $5,000 getting it fixed including a new 97 front end. Traded that car even up for a 95 Eclipse GST that I sold for $8,500 a year later.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I got mine a job so he could purchase his own.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:41:26 AM EDT
[#14]
The slowest vehicle you can find. Also the the one that wraps him in the most steel.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Ex cops cars always have lots of bang for the buck.
I had a Crown Vic and a Caprice. Both were pretty solid and extremely inexpensive. My brother had a Vic too and drove it around Los Angeles until he moved back to MI.

I understand OPs view. I also work for a big auto company (non-union,  so not brainwashed),  and have always bought domestics.  All my VINs start with 1 except the Vic,  which was Canadian,  but I include my neighbor three miles east in the domestic title.

While true that many "foreign" cars are made in the US,  it's certainly not most.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:46:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ford crown Victoria. Find an old police trade in.
View Quote
State, city auction.
Let's not forget that a Crown Vic has enough room in the back seat for a young man to lay pipe.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:47:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If they're not the best, why only American brands in your driveway? You make no sense.

He should buy his own car anyway.
View Quote
This. At least let him make the decision even if he isn't paying for it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Crown Vic/ Mercury Grand Marquis year 2003 or newer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Those of you who have bought a kid their first vehicle in the past 5 years or so, what'd you get for them?

My boy just turned 16 and we are looking to get him his first vehicle. Was thinking $3000 for a spending limit. Not sure if I should go with a $1500 total beater or spend $3000 or so on something a little better. I think he should have to go through the beater/jalopy experience (shouldn't be a problem with only domestic makes as choices, eh?), but the wife wants him to be safe with less risk of breaking down on the side of the road somewhere. Saturn Vue, Chevy Malibu, Ford Focus, Ford Escape, and Pontiac Vibe have been potential candidates so far.
View Quote

No reason to put your kid in a deathtrap. You can learn how to work on cars just fine without being stranded somewhere. Just bought a 2013 corolla with 60k miles and a 5 speed for our son. $12k and piece of mind. And he will know how to do everything on it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:53:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A little personal responsibility goes a long ways. Beats the old man cheaping out on the car for the same outcome. 
View Quote
The right thing to do here would be to have the kid contribute some cash, along with the OP
Then they buy it together with more money
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:57:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For those saying to make him buy his own, he just turned 16 and that's how old a kid has to be to get hired even at fast food joints nowadays. I have ways to make him earn this vehicle, but you can't really expect a 16 year old kid to have made enough money through traditional employment to buy a vehicle at age 16.
View Quote
I did
Had my first tax paying job at 14. Had to get school to sign papers or something like that. Worked at a local garden center on the weekends/weeknights. This was in early 2000's
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Take a look at the 4.0 jeep Cherokee and grand Cherokee. They can be found for the 1.5 to 3k budget you have. Can take a beating. And after your son tears it up you can use it as a winter beater.
View Quote
Came here to post this.

4.0 will run forever and doesn't mind lack of maintenance or abuse. It was my first car and it lived to be my brothers.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#23]
I was in the same sitjation a hlyear ago.  Bought my daughter a 2008 saturn vue with 136k for $4k.  It is all wheel drive and has stabilitrak and side curtain airbags.  4 wheel disk brakes.  It now has 159k on it and all I have done is put tires on it before winter and just replaced a wheel bearing.  Bearing cost $129 and took about an hour to put on.  Really easy to do.  I did change all fluids and filters but transmission has been fine.  Just took it on a 1,200 mile road trip and got 23mpg driving 75 mph.  I have another kid about to start driving and lasr month bought an Equinox with all wheel drive.  I like the vue better.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Honda Ridgeline

Get a used f150, for 3000 it's guaranteed to be a beater pos.
View Quote
It will also put some metal around him. He'll need it, they always do !

My son was easier than my daughter, she totaled an Expedition. Son drove the wheels off of our old Explorer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Old Honda Accord or Civic.  They've been assembled in OH for decades.  The only problem with those is they are the most stolen cars in history of cars, but a steering wheel lock should mitigate that risk.
View Quote
1989 Honda accord for 1750 here. Pristine condition, 125I miles. Zero issues. Got that sweet exhaust and short ram intake. We used to race on the back roads all the time. Beat the hell out of the car, autocrosssed it, neutral drops, etc. Not.one.issue.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I love how this gets under people's skin.
View Quote
He's making fun of you, bruh.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No reason to put your kid in a deathtrap. You can learn how to work on cars just fine without being stranded somewhere. Just bought a 2013 corolla with 60k miles and a 5 speed for our son. $12k and piece of mind. And he will know how to do everything on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The hit to his man card will last forever
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#28]
When my first son got his Lic. I told him I was getting him a Dump Truck.

We bought him a Toyota Solara or whatever it was called he destroyed pretty quick.
I gave him my Jeep Grand Cherokee that had 200,000 miles on it. He destroyed it.

We took him to the car dealer when he turned 20 and he bought a car with his money and
has USAA insurance through me. He works for Amazon and is in Collage part time.

The Jeep was a great vehicle in my opinion safety wise and lasted, just not as big as a Dump Truck.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#29]
I had to buy the Blazer my dad let me drive.

I would suggest a complete shit can like an old mazda or toyota corolla. Make the kid fix it when it goes down.

Unless making it a teaching moment isn't your thing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#30]
My son is spending his own money.  We found an AWD 2003 Pontiac Aztek, one owner, 70,000 miles.  Needed brakes, fuel filter, outer tie rods, sway bar pins.  All in to it for about $2200.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Why not give him the Saturn and buy something nicer for yourself?
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
In OP's price range if he wants something reliable the only options should be Civic, Accord, Camry or Corolla.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
In OP's price range if he wants something reliable the only options should be Civic, Accord, Camry or Corolla.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He said it was for his son, not his daughter
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:37:57 PM EDT
[#34]
80s Chevy half ton truck or a Volvo wagon.  

Nothing new.

If your kid has no personal investment in the vehicle, he will never respect it.  Make it personal, Dad. 
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#35]
The idea of 'no foreign makes', but not actually caring when a specific model is made, is comical.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:40:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ford Ranger, manual
View Quote
I got a 2004 manual for 8 grand. Was a nice little truck.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Ford Focus would fit the bill.
When I was looking for a car for my kid last year, I test drove one and thought it was great.  Only reason I didn't buy it was the AC needed work, and I wanted a turnkey vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Honda or Toyota are the only cars in that price range worth owning.
View Quote
Yup, Corolla or Camry is what you want.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Why no foreign cars? Anyway, when I was a teenager my dad gave me his hand me down used Toyota Corolla. It was a good, reliable, used car. I made the stupid mistake (inexperienced youth) of trading "up" to an old, used Dodge Dart (American car). That POS was constantly breaking down. Once on the freeway on the opposite side of the city at night. I had to call my dad and wait 40 minutes for him to get there. Another time I broke down on the freeway (again at night and no nearby phones) and walked the 7 miles to get home. Came back with my dad the next morning to find the car with a broken out window. Thieves broke the window, but, there was nothing inside to steal.

Now, we're in the era of cellphones, but, I still got my daughter a new car (Toyota Corolla) as I don't want her to be stuck in a broken down car at night by herself like I was back in the day. With the scum that travel the highways looking for broken down cars I think back on how lucky I was that I was never victimized. Don't want to have that worry for my daughter.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:47:12 PM EDT
[#40]
At that $1500 price you'll get something with high mileage and needing work, esp a domestic. My first two cars were a 93 grand am w 120k miles and an 89 sunbird with 89k. Make sure you have the fluids, gaskets, and hoses replaced if they haven't recently or the owner doesn't know when they were. Personally I'll never get a domestic again with the exception of something cool like a wrangler or sports car.

For a cheap daily driver you really can't go wrong w a jap car, I love my 14 civic, cheap and reliable. That hasn't been the case w my pontiacs which became a huge turn off because of the problems I had. I highly suggest reconsidering an import esp a Honda, Hyundai, or Toyota.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
My mistake. Pick any GM, Ford or Chrysler and enjoy picking your son up from the side of the road.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Why does the car have to be a hunk of crap to teach responsibility?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#43]
how about this
geo prizim
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Safe, slow as fuck, easy to work on, and well maintained. Hipster cool points too.

Volvo 240
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:01:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Ford Ranger, manual
View Quote
This was my first car
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Buick LeSabre 

Was my first car, things run forever and are dirt cheap. Pretty good mpg too for a land yacht! Can't tell you how many two track Forest roads this thing drove down at 60+ mph and never broke...

Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My mistake. Pick any GM, Ford or Chrysler and enjoy picking your son up from the side of the road.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, the only reason those cars seem to do better is because the metros that drive them actually take them in to have all the maintenance done. I've seen Chevys run 200,000 miles and never get an oil change in their life just a top off every now and then.

I've had several Fords that only needed brake pads and tires in 200k. Change the oil every 3k and and do regular maintenance and they will all last.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:15:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think you need to step away from the crack pipe.

Partly because of attitudes like this:

Quoted:

Lol, the only reason those cars seem to do better is because the metros that drive them actually take them in to have all the maintenance done.
View Quote
Don't buy models that are typically driven by people that don't maintain them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Corolla or camry as both are easy to work on.

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top