Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't think "amurica cars are best cars", but I just don't like foreign brands in my driveway. Well, I did own a 1983 Toyota 4x4 pickup once, and it was okay, but very small and couldn't break 55mph unless on a downhill.
View Quote
I used to think that way until I actually drove a Toyota and had experience in them, now I'm a believer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:03:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought my own damn car at 16.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ford Ranger, manual
View Quote
FPNI.

Get him a 2.3L, he won't be able to break it, I tried.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
how old are you?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Have you thought about giving him 3k and loaning him another 7k?  He should be able to get a reliable car for 10k and will learn some lessons from having his first loan
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

how old are you?
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Get him a Focus or Cobalt and let him rice it up a little!  Everyone has to do it once in their life at least.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#8]
After watching wrecks all day and cutting up a BUNCH of cars, I just couldn't buy a car that old for my kid. You KNOW it will get wrecked, modern airbags and engineering are worth spending a bit more on. Get something domestic that is newer but high mileage...you get more safety with that same lack of reliability you seem to want.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Why not give him the Saturn and buy something nicer for yourself?
View Quote
That's my car and I'm driving it 'til she dies!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:08:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Take a look at the 4.0 jeep Cherokee and grand Cherokee. They can be found for the 1.5 to 3k budget you have. Can take a beating. And after your son tears it up you can use it as a winter beater.
View Quote
Good choice if it's well maintained. I put 150k on a late '90s 2-door and it was a tank. It was good in the snow, too.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I got my son a 1997 4 banger ranger last christmas for $200 + a case of beer to have it dropped off. I have the trans rebuilt so it will move under its own power again but he gets to do all the other labor over the next year or so to get it street ready.
View Quote
It'll get you where you need to go, but it's gutless. The 2.3L Lima will run forever though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Late 90's GM cars with the 3800 V6. Cheap and relatively easy to work on. Found a couple of one owners that I used for daily drivers and put 200k on the first with only normal maintenance. I'm 135k into the second one, only a couple of front wheel bearings and replaced the shitty plastic upper intake so far.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:09:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't think "amurica cars are best cars", but I just don't like foreign brands in my driveway. Well, I did own a 1983 Toyota 4x4 pickup once, and it was okay, but very small and couldn't break 55mph unless on a downhill.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But seriously why no imports?

French that price all you're gonna get are the Bubba specials that need $5k In work and parts just to get moving.

Do you hate him?

Or are you one of the herp derp amurica cars are best cars, muh uncle cleatus saids so.
Fords are built in Canada and Mexico. Toyota in Texas and TN I believe...
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:09:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
I literally agreed to indenture servitude for my first car. Bankers weren't shit compared to that. A buy here pay here place seemed like a stand-up business in comparison. 
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I went through this last summer with my oldest daughter.  Had a $5000 budget.  It was a very frustrating experience.  Everything we looked at in that range ended up being beat to hell, had evidence of body work, or a combination.  Ended up finding a very clean but high mileage '02 Nissan Pathfinder for $3750 that she loves.  Still had to put a couple of grand into it afterwards for new tires and fixing the oil leaks.  Now it's in decent shape and should last a while assuming she doesn't wreck it.  I could've saved myself some hassle if I had just bumped my original budget up to $7-8k instead.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like he'd be better off without your "help".
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#17]
My rule is whatever it is, you have to work on it.

Find a cheep car that needs a little work. Teach him to work on it & fix things. It's one of the most valuable & self-sustaining skill you can acquire in life. Almost everyone owns a car but how many can actually fix them?

My first car I built an engine for & did a low budget resto. Second car, same thing. Third car, same thing.

I've bought more nice cars with blown motors or trannys than I can shake a stick at.

Had one I went & picked up that the kid couldn't get the car started. He had it to several repair places & no-one could figure it out. I paid the kid, put in a spare FIC relay I had laying around & drove it on the trailer. Drove it for a year after that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Honda or Toyota are the only cars in that price range worth owning.
View Quote
(ETA: QFT)

Buying a car because it's going to be a piece of shit, when you can buy a car that will be reliable in the same price range is being stubborn for no reason.

Learning to maintain a car doesn't require a piece of shit car.

In the end your house/money your rules.

But working on a Civic/Accord/Camry/Corolla is just as educational as working on Focus, except one is actually a useful car.

My wife was driving a an 03 Focus Wagon when I met her and it cost 200 bucks a month in repairs to stay running.  When the A/C died I stepped in and said enough (we were still just dating) and had her lease a Civic for the cost of repairs each month.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:12:58 AM EDT
[#19]
For those saying to make him buy his own, he just turned 16 and that's how old a kid has to be to get hired even at fast food joints nowadays. I have ways to make him earn this vehicle, but you can't really expect a 16 year old kid to have made enough money through traditional employment to buy a vehicle at age 16.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Where do you think those "foreign" cars are made. I worked in a toyota plant called TTMA when I was 18 (way too long ago) building frames and pieces for their cars. This was in Kentucky and it had been running for a while when I came on board. More of those foreign cars are made here than half of the "domestics".
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:13:21 AM EDT
[#21]
A used truck of some kind, the bigger the better, with modern safety equipment

Being in a large vehicle with modern safety devices saved my ass; you can always buy a new truck, but you can't buy a new kid.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:13:28 AM EDT
[#22]
A lot of those makes you listed are notorious piles of junk.

People recommending a northstar is have never owned a used one. Used jeeps... Yeah the 4.0 motors run forever but what you need to consider is the  tranny, differentials and transfer case, which don't run forever.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:14:20 AM EDT
[#23]
The kid will appreciate/value/take care of it better if he buys it himself.

Of course, you can kick in a little if necessary, but he needs to have some equity of his own in the vehicle.

Bought my first car completely without help from parents, at age 16.

Of course, it was a beater/POS, and it only cost $125, but at that time it was several months worth of my wages.

Ended up being a pretty good purchase, drove it for 2 years and sold it for $100
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#24]
In that price range I would look for a Tahoe either a late 90s or early 00s.  Should be able to get a decent one for that price.

I see decent ones in my area listed for $4k all week long and could probably get them down.  

Stupid simple to work on and parts prices are cheap.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
For those saying to make him buy his own, he just turned 16 and that's how old a kid has to be to get hired even at fast food joints nowadays. I have ways to make him earn this vehicle, but you can't really expect a 16 year old kid to have made enough money through traditional employment to buy a vehicle at age 16.
View Quote
Not with that attitude you can't. 
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Pfft. Make the kid earn and buy his own ride. Getting a free shitty ride isn't going to be nearly as a valuable lesson as spending your last dime on one. Parents these days. 
View Quote
Exactly right! That way the kid can cheap out his car, and die in fiery wreck.  
Problem solved
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Why don't you make him get a job, and tell him you'll match every dollar he earns towards a vehicle. Your $3k budget may turn into $6k, and he'll actually get something decent. Plus the work ethic experience, and he'll have a vested interest in caring for his car.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#28]
A Buick Regal is a good dependable car. They can be fairly sporty looking too. Good gas mileage and not a little bean can like smaller options. Parts are fairly inexpensive, plentiful/common, and not bad to work on yourself. The 3.8L will go a long time with simple maintenance.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Of your options, the Escape.  Cause you know, fold down seats and all
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
This needs a Trump "wrong" gif.

My oldest is 13 & has almost $2,000 saved up already.

He's getting something he can work on & learn to fix.

It's so easy now with OBD & a smart phone to at least get an idea of what is wrong.

I bought my first car at 15 & worked on it for a year until I was 16 & could drive it myself. I paid $600 for a 66 Nova. Never should have sold that car.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
If he can't afford it, why buy it for him? Not trying to bust your balls or anything, but this kind of thinking is what got our country in its current debt mess. I started working at 14 on a work permit. If he has to wait until 16 because fast food is the only job he can get, why not wait until 17 or 18 to buy the car?

If you're set on buying a car now, I'd get a 2-3 year loan for him and make him pay it back, then you can bump up the budget a little bit and get something a little nicer that's more reliable.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Where do you think those "foreign" cars are made. I worked in a toyota plant called TTMA when I was 18 (way too long ago) building frames and pieces for their cars. This was in Kentucky and it had been running for a while when I came on board. More of those foreign cars are made here than half of the "domestics".
View Quote
I get what you're saying dude, and agree. But I have employment ties to the domestic auto industry and I'll just leave it at that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Exactly right! That way the kid can cheap out his car, and die in fiery wreck.  
Problem solved
View Quote
A little personal responsibility goes a long ways. Beats the old man cheaping out on the car for the same outcome. 
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Seen in OP's driveway..  
Attachment Attached File

Says no foreign makes and asks about the Pontiac Vibe.  Doesn't know the Vibe is Toyota Matrix in Pontiac clothes.
Honda for the win. Chances are it was made in a US factory employing US workers.  Lots of GM and Ford vehicles are made in Canada or Mexico not employing US workers.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#35]
I bought my first truck when I was 16 for $350, and looking back, I'm 100% sure I got ripped off.   Was a 75 F250. While it was a disaster of a money pit, I learned a ton rebuilding everything on it. Some things lots of times, because I often took it out fourwheeling.... Luckily my parents had a spare vehicle they let me use.

I fully support your idea of getting him a reliable first vehicle. If he has the go fast bug, or the play in the dirt bug... Buy a project vehicle you two can build up together. That way he can still get back and forth to work and still have a toy as time and money allow.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#36]
I put one of mine in a 92 Toyota 4wd, 4cyl, automatic. 10 years later, he is still driving the same truck. Starting to look for something newer only now that he has a real job in his career field. Truck has 180k on it now. The second one I put in an identical 93 truck. 4 years into that one and it has 280k on it. KISS. The first has had a couple accidents and we put it back together and went on. Replaced a timing chain. He let it run out of oil one time and we replaced the rod bearings. It just keeps going. The second so far, so good, has only needed a little maintenance. Good luck. Try not to get something that constantly needs work, that's no fun for anyone.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Honda or Toyota are the only cars in that price range worth owning.
View Quote
+1. What constitutes a "foreign make" these days? FYI, the Toyota Camry has more American components in it than any other sedan..even "American" makes. Get off the foreign hangup and get the best, most reliable car you can find in that price range. A Civic or Corolla would probably be my two top contenders. Saturn Vues are pos's, so eliminate that from the get go.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:22:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Lol, no foriegn makes?  I found a 1990 Honda Civic with 80k miles and in mint condition. The guy was asking $2700, I offered him $1600 and we shook on it. That's my 16 yr olds first car and she loves it. Look on the road and notice what older cars are still out there. Yup, Toyota, Honda, Mercedes. Unless you buy brand new, domestic vehicles are crap.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Whatever it is it ought to be a manual.

He's going to be driving his whole life and ought to learn how to drive anything that is handed to him.

Start with the basics.
View Quote
Makes a ton of sense since almost no manual cars are produced anymore and in the not to distance future all cars will be autonomous... I guess you'll be eating crow soon.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
In that price range I would look for a Tahoe either a late 90s or early 00s.  Should be able to get a decent one for that price.

I see decent ones in my area listed for $4k all week long and could probably get them down.  

View Quote
A Tahoe? The point of the kids vehicle is to haul himself and not the whole town.

I stand by my original post, Ford Ranger with a manual.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:25:59 AM EDT
[#41]
It's only a six cylinder. what could go wrong.

HO $3000.00    not   $321,770.00  Decimal points how do they work ?

Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#42]
First car and your money?

4dr Taurus, Malibu, Impala. Something a little bigger that can take a hit if God forbid it happens.

Another option, around a 2000 model year full size truck. Ford F150 or Silverado. Very easy to work on, cool for a kid and big enough to protect him.

3K money, good luck with that. 5k will get you something you can trust and you will still have to do a little work to it.

My money would be on a truck. Protection, easy to work on, your kid would look cooler in a truck than a granny 4dr whip.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It'll get you where you need to go, but it's gutless. The 2.3L Lima will run forever though.
View Quote
Pretty much exactly what a brand new driver needs. It just needs to to get him from home to school and work so I no longer have to chauffer. I am not sure it would go highway speeds short of being dropped out of a plane or JATO assist for the on ramp.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ding ding ding.

My dad's pick up truck was made in Mexico(Silverado.)  Sister's Sonata was made in Alabama.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Seen in OP's driveway..  
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/108324/20170423-101608-193541.JPG
Says no foreign makes and asks about the Pontiac Vibe.  Doesn't know the Vibe is Toyota Matrix in Pontiac clothes.
Honda for the win. Chances are it was made in a US factory employing US workers.  Lots of GM and Ford vehicles are made in Canada or Mexico not employing US workers.
View Quote
I love how this gets under people's skin.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:28:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
A Tahoe? The point of the kids vehicle is to haul himself and not the whole town.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Single cab truck would limit the number of idiots he would haul around. Even a 4dr car would haul as many as an SUV of any type.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Something safe, all other considerations are secondary.   Odds of him piling it up are high so get sometsomething that keeps you from attending a funeral.  I know more than a couple parents who put their kids in the cheapest piece of shot moiney could buy and paid dearly for it.  

Doesn't have to be expensive, just needs modern safety features and design.  The ever declining road fatality rates aren't because we humans are becoming better drivers.

Done preaching, carry on.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Those of you who have bought a kid their first vehicle in the past 5 years or so, what'd you get for them?

My boy just turned 16 and we are looking to get him his first vehicle. Was thinking $3000 for a spending limit. Not sure if I should go with a $1500 total beater or spend $3000 or so on something a little better. I think he should have to go through the beater/jalopy experience (shouldn't be a problem with only domestic makes as choices, eh?), but the wife wants him to be safe with less risk of breaking down on the side of the road somewhere. Saturn Vue, Chevy Malibu, Ford Focus, Ford Escape, and Pontiac Vibe have been potential candidates so far.
View Quote

id be pissed to get any of those choices why not a small truck?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
1980's ford truck.

He's gonna wreck it anyway, they all do.
View Quote
He's going to be inside it when he wrecks it...
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Ford crown Victoria. Find an old police trade in.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top