Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:37:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've only met about 5-7 dobermans in my life(I'm 25) and every single one was mean. Would growl as you walked by and bark as if they wanted to kill you. They all did this.

Obviously they are not all like that and I really want to meet a friendly one. They seem like cool and smart dogs.
View Quote
1- They are naturally protective so usually you get "woofed" then watched closely while the dog takes cues from its owner. Yeah, he might growl a little just to make sure you know he's watching you.

2- You probably fear them or at least are uneasy around them and they will know this. Step 1 above set this tone. It was done purposely by the dog and they will fuck with you because they can. They are setting the tone for this encounter and they take this job seriously.

3- As soon as the owner feels at ease with you, the dog will most likely go lay down somewhere just keeping you in view and you won't hear from him again unless you get up for something.

4- While being watched, you're more than likely perfectly safe. Just don't do anything stupid.

5- IF HE COMES TO YOU, ease your hand down gently and let him come to you. You don't even need to look his way while doing this, just absent mindedly let it hang down where he can get to the back side if he wants to. DON'T move it if he walks up. If he seems at ease with you just gently reach down and rub behind his ears and scratch right above his tale till he's had enough.

6- The next time he sees you, he'll most likely remember you so you'll get the "woof" but then he'll be cool as soon as he recognizes you.

This has always worked for me.

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:39:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm on girl number 3. The first was a 9 month old rescue and was the best and smartest damn dog I've ever been around. But her kidneys failed after a couple of years. No idea why. The only thing I can think is that the old codger that we bought our last house from had buried a ton of random junk in the backyard behind a shed. We didn't know until we started digging it up to landscape it. I wouldn't be surprised if he dumped antifreeze or who knows what.

The second one was a rescue that was at least 10 years old and had been abandoned out in the country. She was a sweetheart but super nervous around men. I'm  pretty sure she'd  been abused.

The one we have now we got as a puppy about the time my daughter was born. So she's going on 13. I didn't do a very good job training her and she's super neurotic around thunder and fireworks. But she loves our kids and other pets.

I'd really like a male when she passes, but I think the wife is done with big dogs for awhile.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:39:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Super gentle with kids and protective, friendly but cautious with strangers, gauges my reaction. Best dog I've ever owned.

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:01:29 AM EDT
[#4]
What you get is all in the genetics/breeding. The Dobermann is supposed to be a working dog, however, today you are hard pressed to find a good working specimen. There are a ton of pet quality Dobermann's and some mediocre dogs available if you look around. On the other hand, if you want a Dobermann with a correct working dog temperament, they are hard to find.

There are two predominant "types" of Dobermanns- American and European.

American types are primarily show dogs/pets. Working ability has been mostly bred out of the American show/pet lines. Of course there are always exceptions, but you are not likely to find anything resembling real working dog temperament in the American lines.

European types can be broken into Working lines and Show lines. The European show lines are not like American show/pet dogs. European Show lines will typically have some working ability. It can vary from barely acceptable to "just as good" as an actual working line dog, it all depends on the genetics, how knowledgeable the breeder is and what the breeder considers important. European Working line Dobermann's are where you're most likely to find correct working temperaments. Even within the Working lines though you will have good dogs and blah ones, again it depends on the breeders skill combined with good (or bad) luck.

Dobermann's are very similar to German Shepherd Dogs in the way they have evolved into American vs European and Working vs Show lines.

So..... whenever you ask for opinions about Dobermann's or hear someone talk about their own Dobermann or a Dobermann they know/knew; it's VERY important to know what type and line of Dobermann is being talked about. A backyard breeder producing off of American Show/Pet lines will produce an extremely different dog compared to a serious European Working line breeder, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:32:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Here are two websites with some decent information-

American vs the Euro type

"Character/Temperament- This is one of the most defining characteristics between the European Dobermann and the American Doberman Pinscher. This is also the primary reason the Europeans never consider American dogs in their breeding programs. Most of the European countries require that the dogs pass a ZTP or some kind of rigorous temperament test prior to the being bred....................................... If the dog cannot pass the test they cannot be bred, period..................."

European vs American Dobermann's
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:32:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thank God for Pitt Bulls or they would still be the baby eating man killers they were in the 70s........
View Quote
I would try to steer people away when they'd ask me about getting one if they looked like they would be a bad owner. They probably got a pit bull instead.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:12:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Every Doberman I've ever actually met/known have been great dogs. My late dogs King and Molly's mom was a Lab and Doberman mix and King was definitely built on the Doberman chassis:

He sure was an "evil genius", always amusing.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:59:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd also recommend a Great Dane. We have two of them, one is 8 and the other is 2. They are great with kids and are all around great dogs.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:12:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Had several when I was growing up. All wonderful dogs. I'd have one now if they weren't so damn expensive. 
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:19:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd also recommend a Great Dane. We have two of them, one is 8 and the other is 2. They are great with kids and are all around great dogs.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/61968/IMG-0330-173446.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/61968/IMG-0272-173448.JPG
View Quote
Man...

As a fedex guy I have to say that I've never been freaked out as much as by a Great Dane.

Walking down a private road with about 12 houses on it to deliver a package and I heard, "click click click click..." behind me.

Turned around and the hugest Great Dane I've ever seen was right there in my face... LOL

I said, "Hey puppy, what are you doing?"

He stood up and put his paws on my shoulders, and was taller than me. And just wanted to play.  

He was a sweetie and every time I had to stop on that street he wanted to play.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:23:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I rarely see them. Saw one in the back of a truck the other day. Neither ears, nor tail were fucked with. It's nice too see people not mutilate their pets.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:25:46 AM EDT
[#12]
wasnt there an arfcommer who wanted a doberman but his wife refused, so he came to the hive mind, and it was suggested that he get one, and not crop the ears or tail, and to tell his wife that it was another type of dog ? so he did that and his wife never figured out that their new dog was a doberman ?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:36:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I bet you could teach them to rob a bank. They are pretty smart dogs.
View Quote
lol, I'm old enough to get that
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:54:10 AM EDT
[#14]
The ones I've known have ranged from the gentlest, shyest, creatures, to the stuff of nightmares. They're very intelligent too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:59:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was looking at min pins but their disproportionate size turned me off. You can't beat the sexy slick look of a Doberman.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The old school Breed of Peace. Get full size if you are going to get one. The mini pincers are total dicks and will attack everything cause they are little dogs yet have the big dog attitude. The Mini's are worse than Chihuahua's. Will attack instead of the high pitched bard.
I was looking at min pins but their disproportionate size turned me off. You can't beat the sexy slick look of a Doberman.
Take it from me, Dobermans are great dogs, however, they do have their health issues.

Min Pins are just plain butt-wads. I only see about 2-3 that I like. All of the Dobermans I have dealt with were great! Min Pins are not even related to Dobes so I don't see why this is even a question.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:43:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm biased, of course.  But if you live in Washington State, I have the name of an awesome breeder (not cheap, though I believe you get what you pay for and if you do good research).  Our boy is pushing 13 years old and showing it, but due to good living he's out lived all his littermates.  He's been on a raw diet for 6 years.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:57:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm up in the Midwest, where it gets really cold. I've been told the cold is an issue for them.
View Quote
Yeh. They have a thin coat. We put sweaters on ours. He looks retarded but he's warm. Lol
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Grandparents always had them. 3 that I was around for. Every one of them was unerringly sweet and patient. Crowded house, kids being rough and loud, people coming and going. They loved it all. I miss those dogs.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:22:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I rarely see them. Saw one in the back of a truck the other day. Neither ears, nor tail were fucked with. It's nice too see people not mutilate their pets.
View Quote
I guess you don't believe in having pets spayed or neutered either?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:32:34 AM EDT
[#20]
I made this decision last year and now have a male that is 11 months.

He is a very smart dog.   The funny part is that he knows how to tease-  humans, dogs, cats, it doesn't matter.  

Very active.  They definitely need a lot of exercise.

He is good around kids and adults.  A little cautious at first but after he gets to know you then you are his buddy.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:55:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Friends down the street had one growing up in the early 80s.  It was a sweet, well tempered dog--FiFi.  I don't remember the details, but it tore up their 4y.o. daughters face one day.  The kid stitched up ok; dog was destroyed.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:59:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:44:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
How do you feel about spay/neutering? Human circumcision is cool though right?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:53:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Doberman is the best breed IMO.....I know there will be those who disagree, such is life. I grew up with dobies, I now have schnauzers mainly due to a radiologist friend who's male and female got frisky.

Dobies: The males are hard headed and will test you on whether you are actually the Alpha in the pack, but a trained male is one of the best companions you'll ever have.
The females are home-bodies.  Easier to train but will absolutely defend your territory with a vengeance.  
Both I would caution around small children....sometimes they (the Dobes) forget their place.  

The Doberman is a force protection dog. They fulfill that role in spades....they are not tracker dogs, get a bloodhound for that.

They require an owner who will spend time with them to teach right from wrong.....they are exceptionally fast and can be on a target before you can call them back.  DO NOT get a dobe and neglect it.

Tail docking: A proper breeder would have already had this done at 3 days.

Ear Trims: done at 10 weeks ....make sure to question your Vet on how many he/she has done.  This is not taught in vet school, it is learned by passing down from old vet to new vet.

http://www.puplookup.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/plu/dog-breeder/1357283945-5322.jpg
View Quote
That is without a doubt, the most beautiful Dobbie I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#25]
had a female dobie growing up from age zero to age 18. sweet dog, often had horrible gas. very smart.

1) one time, dad took dobie pheasant hunting. he shot one, fell about 100 yards away. dobie runs out, almost catches the falling bird in mouth, and eats it all immediately including feet and beak. no more hunting.

2) one time, a fuckin cable guy walks into our back door without knocking, unannounced. dog wakes up at front of house and accelerates down hallway, tearing 5" long slivers of waxed linoleum up from every claw of every paw. she hit the dryer door so hard she dented it, then made the turn and slammed the back door on the fleeing cable guys arm.

3) sister had a hamster in a cage on a desk. dobie would go in there and just drool and look at the hamster running in the wheel while gnawing on the 2" thick desk top edge. still have the desk.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
One bit me in the junk when I was a kid, I have never trusted them since
View Quote
That happened to me as well, actually bit completely around my junk.  I was playing with my neighbor in his backyard and think the dog was jealous.  Neighbor's mom wanted to see but I went home and showed my mom instead.  Only dog that actually ever bit me but funny thing is I really want one now because they are so protective of their people.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The old school Breed of Peace. Get full size if you are going to get one. The mini pincers are total dicks and will attack everything cause they are little dogs yet have the big dog attitude. The Mini's are worse than Chihuahua's. Will attack instead of the high pitched bard.
View Quote
Miniature pinschers are not miniature dobermans.  Their name means small biters in german and they are 200 years older than dobermans.  Their heritage is italian greyhounds and dauchund.  I have a miniature pincher and they are great dogs but they have nothing to do with dobermans so it is not a full size and a mini.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:21:25 PM EDT
[#28]
4 pound shit piles
skin issues
short life span

That's the top 3 reasons not to.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Mobile razor blades with fur.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:42:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

4 pound shit piles
skin issues
short life span

That's the top 3 reasons not to.
View Quote
They can control Thier body easily for 8 hours or more.

I've only known Harley's to have skin issues

No more so than any dog over 65 pounds. Plus, the amount of joy they give far outweighs the "short" lifespan
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I had a couple rescues before I had kids, they're great dogs. It's really important they're raised right though.

My lifetime dog was a dobie/dane mix, she was the best dog that ever lived. Cued off of me for everything. I could bring her into a strange house, pick a spot on the floor, look at it, and she'd go lay down in that spot and just watch. Didn't matter if there were kids, cats, other dogs... She would stay in the bed of the truck while I went shopping if I told her to, just an amazing animal. Only got aggressive once and wouldn't let a stranger near me, just planted herself between him and me and growled, turned out she was right about that dude, he meant me harm. She loved kids and baby animals, we got her a new kitten or puppy every year once she got older, poor things were never dry.

One of the most trainable breeds, highly recommend.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

They can control Thier body easily for 8 hours or more.

I've only known Harley's to have skin issues

No more so than any dog over 65 pounds. Plus, the amount of joy they give far outweighs the "short" lifespan
View Quote
These greyhounds of mine play with both dobies and danes, 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:23:51 PM EDT
[#33]
My girlfriend's mom had one that was a great dog. She had some weird quirky stuff she did, but was really friendly. She was the only dog I've ever seen cuddle up with a cat in her bed. Whenever she would walk into the kitchen she turned around at the doorway and backed in, then turned around again in the kitchen. She would take the kids small toys and hide them under the couch cushions.

We all miss her.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Dobies were not bred as fighting dogs,pit dogs,killers of humans for sport....

I like them they are fun dogs...coats aren't up to Wi winters and living outside...imo
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Super smart and intuitive
Very loving and friendly
Strong as Hell, and fast as fuck

Old neighbor (professional trainer) who was mentored by the guy who trained the dogs in "The Doberman Gang," was integral in teaching my daughter to train our "Gemma."

This is my forever breed. Daddy's little girl owns me and my heart.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:47:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm biased, of course.  But if you live in Washington State, I have the name of an awesome breeder (not cheap, though I believe you get what you pay for and if you do good research).  Our boy is pushing 13 years old and showing it, but due to good living he's out lived all his littermates.  He's been on a raw diet for 6 years.
View Quote
I'd like the WA state breeder referral if you don't mind. We lost our male Doberman to cancer last month and want to get on a waiting list for a good local breeder. Thanks! Attachment Attached File
Rest in peace Duke.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:56:05 PM EDT
[#37]
They are excellent family dogs if you get one from decent lines and train it and socialize it and raise it right. They form very close attachments to their people, and as such do not make good outside/kennel dogs. They look to you for firm, decisive leadership, and if you fail to provide that, they will step into that role (and you may not like the consequences). And mine hates the cold.

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a rott that I love, but used to have a dobbie. Best damn dog I ever had.

Got him as a rescue at 3 months, seems some idiot tied him to tree down by the Elizabeth river. I stumbled on him while fishing. Starving and dehydrated. Took him home and he was with us for 11 years. Totally loyal and protective. Have enough fenced in land for exercise and they do need early training. But they are great dogs.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:41:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Thank God for Pitt Bulls or they would still be the baby eating man killers they were in the 70s........
View Quote
No, Rottweilers were between Dobies and Pitts. Or at least around here they were. In the late 80s, early 90s every redneck around here had a Rottweiler in the bed of their truck.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Not then sharpest tools in the shed , but will do
View Quote
In the top 5 of most intelligent breeds according to the AKC.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
They were the dog to have in the 70's.
View Quote
edit, never insult anothers dog.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Meet Red, got him for the kiddos for Christmas as we lost both dobies last year to age.

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'd like the WA state breeder referral if you don't mind. We lost our male Doberman to cancer last month and want to get on a waiting list for a good local breeder. Thanks! https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/40360/20170115-190644-173609.JPGRest in peace Duke.
View Quote
Duke looks like an awesome dog, good face :-)

The place is called DeeRun Doberman Pinschers DeeRun .  Dee Robison is the breeder.  She runs a small scale place in Puyallup with a couple of females and a male.  Her uniqueness is that she ensures there are no crosses anywhere in her lineage.  She picks males and females that have no links (other than that they are Dobermans).  She is very proud (not sure that's the right word, but is her claim to fame) of that fact.  Her dogs have no genetic health issues.  She breeds for disposition.  She is not inexpensive....

Our boy, Murphy, will be 13 this year.  His only issue is arthritis in his rear legs from years of running like a mad dog (plays with any dog who doesn't want to fight), but he does think squirrels are on Earth to torture him.  He cracked his ankle when he stepped through a drain grate in heavy grass while running, that's the source of his arthritis.  He's the best thing I've ever paid for (or had) and will do so again.  Somebody asked in a poll earlier this year if an Arfcommer would give up all their guns if their dog would live healthily for as long as they did:  I would, and I have lots of guns :-)
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
They are excellent family dogs if you get one from decent lines and train it and socialize it and raise it right. They form very close attachments to their people, and as such do not make good outside/kennel dogs. They look to you for firm, decisive leadership, and if you fail to provide that, they will step into that role (and you may not like the consequences). And mine hates the cold.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/339551/IMG-1768-171497.jpg  

https://www.AmR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/339551/IMG-0808-173612.jpg
View Quote
wow.     beautiful beast.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#45]
no one else has commented on the horrible dobie farts. was my dog an outlier?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#46]
we've had 2, a male and a female.

both were great dogs, very smart, very trainable.

the female was the smartest dog we've ever had; I used to have dreams about having conversations with her.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/339551/IMG-1768-171497.jpg  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/339551/IMG-0808-173612.jpg
View Quote
Beautiful dog.

Having said that, those guys look like living Vampires to me.

Teeth and Speed and Determination.
The Autonomous Mobile Sword.

As a pit bull owner, those guys scare me, not pits
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:26:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
LoL... My Greyhounds were the actual leading cause of global warming until we changed to a grain-free chow. What were you feeding your dog?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
our female used to fart in our bedroom at night and wake us up with the stank.
if she farted and made noise she would spin around and look at her own ass.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
lol

They do have some rank farts and think nothing of cropdusting you on their way to lay down RIGHT IN FRONT of the tv but only after circling 6 or 7 times and then looking at you innocently like "what"? while you're gagging.      
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top