Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I am currently in an online program @ Harvard.  It will be my second Master's degree, my first degree was from a reputable brick and mortar school.     I think just as challenging and has the same value in the workplace.  

That said, I would not invest in a for profit program.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:05:46 PM EDT
[#2]
No. 
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I was an Engineering Manager/Director/VP for three decades and hired hundreds of engineers and other professionals.  I worked for a large aerospace company.

I retired in 2003.

During the 1990s when on line degrees became popular we would not even recognize them.  Neither Bachelor or post graduate.

However, nowadays it has become much more acceptable.  My understanding from my networking nowadays is that most companies will accept an on line degree from a real university.  

It really depends upon what you need the degree for.  In my opinion (unless you are doing strict cutting edge design work) a Masters in Engineering comes close to being worthless as far as learning your trade better.  Experience greatly trumps more class work.  However, for somebody with a BS in Engineering a MS in Engineering (or MBA) opens the door for management positions.  If you are looking for a door opener then an on line degree from an accredited university would probably serve its purpose.  

I got my Masters degree from an accredited brick and mortar university and really didn't learn anything that ever helped me in my career.    However, without it I never would never have been considered for a Director's position.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.

Basically, there's a community college nearby that is always looking for adjunct professors in all sorts of subjects.  It pays decent enough, and I know a couple of folks that are doing it and they say it's actually really enjoyable.

It requires a Master's (to teach to the Associate's level ). I'm looking at various options to get one.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:32:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys.

Basically, there's a community college nearby that is always looking for adjunct professors in all sorts of subjects.  It pays decent enough, and I know a couple of folks that are doing it and they say it's actually really enjoyable.

It requires a Master's (to teach to the Associate's level ). I'm looking at various options to get one.
View Quote

Having a master's to teach a non industrial art course is the norm around here.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:37:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
all online degrees are equally worthless
View Quote

As are blanket statements

Will you use school as a networking opportunity to 'know people' or is your degree just for checking the block?

I need a masters to check the block towards future promotions within the same company. I'll be getting it online through Colorado State Univ.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am currently in an online program @ Harvard.  It will be my second Master's degree, my first degree was from a reputable brick and mortar school.     I think just as challenging and has the same value in the workplace.  

View Quote

There are no online degrees at Harvard. None, zero, nada. Not a single one.

What there is, offered through Harvard Extension School, which is indeed Harvard, are programs that have varying degrees of an online component. Every single degree has a residency requirement (a specific number of full classes) that must be completed at the Harvard campus.  The graduation rate is in the single digits.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:50:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What there is, offered through Harvard Extension School, which is indeed Harvard, are programs that have varying degrees of an online component. Every single degree has a residency requirement (a specific number of full classes) that must be completed at the Harvard campus.  The graduation rate is in the single digits.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went to Yale (Art Museum) and Stanford (shopping mall).
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:16:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Bullshit.  An online degree from an accredited bricks and mortar university is no different from an in-person degree from that same university.

Online degrees from degree mills like Phoenix, Capella, Strayer, etc. are garbage, but so are in-person degrees from those schools.
View Quote

Obviously you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Having gone to a state university for most my undergrad work I found that Capella was a better school for my field of study (in technology) to complete my degree. Unless your comment is based on personal experience, it doesn't hold much credibility.

You might be surprised to learn that many so-called "diploma mills" are regionally accredited.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:33:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
From real (and accredited) reputable brick-and-mortar universities?  Yeah, they are worth getting - and will be the same degree as the one granted to the full-time face-to-face students.  Legitimate universities are more and more getting into the online space these days.

From places like University of Phoenix and online diploma mills?  No, don't waste your money.
View Quote

This, caveat to the latter being that if you just need the piece of paper for advancement in your current job AND your job will pay for it AND you can't get the degree you need from the online division of a real school, you might as well go for it

I'm currently doing an online MBA through a top 25 program, it's working out well for keeping so far, OP feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:45:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Obviously you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Having gone to a state university for most my undergrad work I found that Capella was a better school for my field of study (in technology) to complete my degree. Unless your comment is based on personal experience, it doesn't hold much credibility.

You might be surprised to learn that many so-called "diploma mills" are regionally accredited.
View Quote

The problem with that, even if true, is many resume/CV filters, be they computer or human, screen for schools like Capella.  Those applicants never even get a chance at some places

Going to the UofP type places can limit opportunities in ways bricks and mortar schools probably wont.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:03:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The problem with that, even if true, is many resume/CV filters, be they computer or human, screen for schools like Capella.  Those applicants never even get a chance at some places

Going to the UofP type places can limit opportunities in ways bricks and mortar schools probably wont.
View Quote

I'm actually a hiring manager and I get applicants all at the time with degrees from online schools. The HR/Recruiting teams often look for other things like matching experience to the job description before I review them. In my view, where the degree is from (provided it is from an accredited school) does not matter as much as work history and demonstrated competencies.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:06:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm actually a hiring manager and I get applicants all at the time with degrees from online schools. The HR/Recruiting teams often look for other things like matching experience to the job description before I review them. In my view, where the degree is from (provided it is from an accredited school) does not matter as much as work history and demonstrated competencies.
View Quote

Again, it does not change the fact that it is not an uncommon practice for places to specifically screen out such schools.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:13:47 AM EDT
[#14]
In some job markets HR/recruiting teams can be selective, but what purpose would that serve of they overlook qualified applicants?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:15:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In some job markets HR/recruiting teams can be selective, but what purpose would that serve of they overlook qualified applicants?
View Quote

It does not matter. The reality is it is done.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:17:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd avoid a private school for online. The point of a private school, undergrad, grad, or post grad, is to get you connections - not just the socially constructed prestige. The school will literally (or they should if they're going to call themselves 'worth the extra $30k a year') hook you up with many professional networking opportunities, connections, and so on. Online though? What that means is you aren't developing any face to face relationships with any of your instructors. You're a nobody after you graduate. It defeats the entire purpose of spending all that extra cash.

Go public if you must do online. Hope it's accredited and looked highly upon in your specific field. Avoid papermill schools I.e. you will never in a million years get hired as a state licensed therapist in my state with a DeVry masters degree, all the practices and schools here will think you're a fucking moron and equate you to another undergrad.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:25:51 AM EDT
[#17]
There's nothing wrong with online coursework, especially if you're old enough to have a full time job. But I would caution anyone against enrolling in one of the online bullshit degree mills. If you get a Master's online, get it from an established (real) university. If you have a course or two that you have to take in person, so be it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top