Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/23/2017 4:53:16 PM EDT
Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?  Can you get a "real" degree online these days?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Multiple quality engineering masters degrees available online as distance learning from pretty much all of the ranked engineering schools.

Gotta have a undergrad in engineering though.

They may also require specific locations for proctored tests or some number of "in person" events. Defending a dissertation over Skype probably aint gonna fly.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#2]
No.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Is this another thread about Slavery?

Slavery is bad.... M-Kay...
So don't do the slavery.. M-Kay.....

LOL

Link Posted: 2/23/2017 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Nurse practitioner.

Honestly, what does a brick and mortar school provide that is any better?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#6]
A masters in Cunnilingus will always come in handy
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nurse practitioner.

Honestly, what does a brick and mortar school provide that is any better?
View Quote

uh collaboration and the sharing of ideas.

I guess it depends on what type of masters you're getting.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Some of the value (sometimes a lot of the value) of certain degrees are the connections you make in school.  That component is severely diminished by a pure online classroom.

Outside of that, if it is from a reputable school and you actually learn the information, of course it can be worth it.

Just about every school offers online classes. Even Harvard (although they offer no fully online degrees)    It is becoming really popular for engineering. That makes sense, most people getting graduate degrees in engineering are working in their respective industries and online works. (same for many other industries such as education)  The end result is to convey new knowledge and skills.  That can be done online in many subjects.

I think one of the weak spots for fully online degrees are business degrees, specifically MBA's.  If you just need to check off that box, fine, but that is a degree that really values the social aspect of a real classroom.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Ass ton of MBA ranging from AZ state to the University of Florida. If you're hoping for Princeton or Columbia no but decent public universities yes. Close friends of mine opted for private unknowns just to get check box to move up from within but Syracuse has an awesome deal for .Mil https://www.usnews.com/education/online-education/mba/rankings
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 5:18:15 PM EDT
[#10]
all online degrees are equally worthless
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No.
View Quote

I got my Bachelor's of Science in Business Management online with WGU, which was a great program.

My BIL got his MBA from WGU and all kinds of positions opened up to him, to the point that companies are offering him crazy salaries, bonuses, trying to snipe him from current employer.

A lot of this was because of his reputation and work experience, but the MBA opens doors on top of that which were closed before.

It's more of a checkmark people like to see in many cases, as a Masters is considered a prerequisite in some fields.

He was already making stupid money before that, so it's all icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Uh, have you watched the news in the past 8 years? Ideas are allowed to be shared on American University campuses so long as they go with leftist ideas.

Fuck.

That.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:31:27 PM EDT
[#13]
My MIS reads the same as any other diploma from my school

Worth it, but only if your employer is eating the cost
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#14]
My 2 cents, which is worth exactly that, though I do have a masters

No, the only real value is the networking, unless you're planning on interviewing with some company that uses masters as an arbitrary requirement for employment.

If you can't meet people and build relationships, you can pick up a book for free at the library and gain the same knowledge (or far more).
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, of course.  Will it be useful?

Well, what are you trying to accomplish with it?

Even the good Prof is putting out a bit of well intentioned misinformation.  

You have to look at the question from back to front.   What is your Job now?     Are you looking to achieve a higher pay grade?    Internal promotion?  Make yourself more marketable?     Career change?      

The Job you want:  What do they Require?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:41:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Multiple quality engineering masters degrees available online as distance learning from pretty much all of the ranked engineering schools.

Gotta have a undergrad in engineering though.

They may also require specific locations for proctored tests or some number of "in person" events. Defending a dissertation over Skype probably aint gonna fly.
View Quote
I defend my thesis over a Skype competitor in a few months.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:42:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
From real (and accredited) reputable brick-and-mortar universities?  Yeah, they are worth getting - and will be the same degree as the one granted to the full-time face-to-face students.  Legitimate universities are more and more getting into the online space these days.

From places like University of Phoenix and online diploma mills?  No, don't waste your money.
View Quote

See the bolded part.  Online degree from brick and mortar are not distinguished (better ask to make sure).  

BTW, better ask yourself is it worth getting into debt for? Degrees don't mean much like they once did.  Nowadays everyone has a degree and mine is 98.6 .  I have over 75 published articles with one published this month in American Gunsmith.  My second book is coming out this Sept.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I want an online phd in finance.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#19]
My online masters degree has helped further my career.

Master's degree is in teaching.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:47:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just finish up your CFA (assuming you haven't), more valuable anyway
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:48:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Depending on the field, yes.

Some jobs have a minimum degree requirement, and as long as it's an accredited degree, most hiring managers don't give a shit.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I got my Bachelor's of Science in Business Management online with WGU, which was a great program.

My BIL got his MBA from WGU and all kinds of positions opened up to him, to the point that companies are offering him crazy salaries, bonuses, trying to snipe him from current employer.

A lot of this was because of his reputation and work experience, but the MBA opens doors on top of that which were closed before.

It's more of a checkmark people like to see in many cases, as a Masters is considered a prerequisite in some fields.

He was already making stupid money before that, so it's all icing on the cake.
View Quote

Go
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:49:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've interviewed and hired hundreds of employees and I beg to differ.  I could give a flying fuck where they got their degree from.  It still shows motivation and commitment more then the basement dwelling ARF'r
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?  Can you get a "real" degree online these days?
View Quote

In terms of worth to employers, there are essentially three types of degrees, at both the master's and bachelor's levels:

1. Degree from an elite school (Harvard, Yale, Cal Tech, MIT, etc).
2. Degree from every other accredited institution, regardless of whether it was obtained online or otherwise.
3. Degree from non-accredited universities.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:47:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tru dat.

Still deciding between CFA and CFP.

I mostly want a CFA so I can talk trash at meetings.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
From real (and accredited) reputable brick-and-mortar universities?  Yeah, they are worth getting - and will be the same degree as the one granted to the full-time face-to-face students.  Legitimate universities are more and more getting into the online space these days.

From places like University of Phoenix and online diploma mills?  No, don't waste your money.
View Quote

I hate to tell you but the University of Phoenix is considered by many to be the Harvard of the West.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:51:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I hate to tell you but the University of Phoenix is considered by many to be the Harvard of the West.
View Quote
... this
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:01:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

You care to defend that position?

With the exception of employment that demands brand name school recognition, online learning is BOOMING. States are scrambling to get on board. You just have to make sure where you are going is regionally accredited through a valid accrediting body (SACSOC, etc)
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:11:36 PM EDT
[#29]
I am currently getting an online MHA from a well established brick and mortar school.  Same degree as if I was going there I guess.  I know a few people that have done the online version and it doesn't seem to be hampering them at all.  No one will know the difference from online and physically attending the school when I am done.  There is no way I could attend classes with my job and family right now.  I need the flexibility to complete the work when I have time.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:28:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

In terms of worth to employers, there are essentially three types of degrees, at both the master's and bachelor's levels:

1. Degree from an elite school (Harvard, Yale, Cal Tech, MIT, etc).
2. Degree from every other accredited institution, regardless of whether it was obtained online or otherwise.
3. Degree from non-accredited universities.
View Quote

It is far more complicated than that.  For a few obvious examples, the type means something and the here are also regional biases that are very powerful.  There is also the reality that within industries specific schools have reputable programs.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:29:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I went the Harvard of Harvard....and we lusted after those socks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:43:08 AM EDT
[#32]
My agency paid for my MA while I was in Germany.  It's from the American Military University...  Course work was pretty much books and journals I was already reading, why not let Uncle Sam pay for the degree?

Looking at the backgrounds of much of the GS-14s and up in this outfit, I'm fairly certain my MA, even though it's a worthless online degree, can set me ahead for future promotions.

I'm not sure how many professionals, possibly with a family, can drop what they're doing and go back to a brick and mortar school?  As fun as that would be, it sure as hell wasn't in the cards.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:44:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

My BA is from Harvard on the Hocking...  LOL
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#34]
It depends on a number of factors. Most importantly i'd do a cost benefit analysis of cost of school versus potential increased salary. There's a lot of great online programs now. If a degree isn't necessarily a requirement but you are just looking to better yourself there are a lot of great certificate style programs out there that focus on a variety of thing as well.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:16:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Sure UNC, Syracuse, etc all have top flight well recognized online MBA's
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#36]
In my field, a Masters isn't a requirement to move up but in reality good luck doing so without one.

They don't give a shit if it's an online one as long as it's from an accredited university.

I'm looking at AMU's program, which is one of the cheaper options.

Don't necessarily believe the people here who automatically say "no" to online programs.   Many many places, an MBA (or other Masters) is the same - a line on a resume that is checked for - they don't say "oh, it's not from an Ivy League school - fuck this guy".

Of course there ARE places and jobs that prefer these higher end Masters degrees - if you are in that place or industry you already know what's required.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bullshit.  An online degree from an accredited bricks and mortar university is no different from an in-person degree from that same university.

Online degrees from degree mills like Phoenix, Capella, Strayer, etc. are garbage, but so are in-person degrees from those schools.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:18:09 AM EDT
[#38]
I think it depends on the school or if it is even a school.

I'm finishing my Masters at Northeastern University and it's online. I had to get two letters of recommendation, write a letter explaining why I wanted to attend NEU, and get accepted. Also the Project Management degree is accredited by the Project Management Institute which controls PMP certifications.

When I was enlisted and I took undergrad courses at American Military University I basically had to pay them and they let me in. Online doesn't mean what it used to. There are varieties of online schools.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Graduating from WGU in the fall.  Hopefully my degree opens doors 
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:37:34 AM EDT
[#40]
My pay jumped 2 bands just because I have a piece of paper from an accredited institution. It has nothing to do with my current job but keeps my pay cap way ahead of what I make.

MBA and MSc in Engineering are probably the most useful.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Online degrees have that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LoL...

@neshomamench    

Hey since you did in fact go to Harvard can you answer this question for me....Have you ever heard anyone refer to Harvard as Nicholls on the Charles? Supposedly it's an old timer inside joke between some profs that knew each other at each school. They got the joke going since the university I went to nicknamed Harvard on the Bayou.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#43]
How about a Master's Degree in slavery?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Which college do you work for?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

U of P is not. real university.  It is more like the People Magazine of academics.

If you want an on line degree look at real schools that have a significant history of delivering quality instruction and don't have the really high tuition and fees that the U of P kinds of schools have.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

LoL...

@neshomamench    

Hey since you did in fact go to Harvard can you answer this question for me....Have you ever heard anyone refer to Harvard as Nicholls on the Charles? Supposedly it's an old timer inside joke between some profs that knew each other at each school. They got the joke going since the university I went to nicknamed Harvard on the Bayou.
View Quote

I have never heard that one.

As a slight tangent, there were a few casual conversations on the subject of "Harvard of the...."  The most common being "Harvard of the South" which is often used and hotly contested.  The consensus leaned towards the actual answer being Duke.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:39:47 PM EDT
[#47]
I have a coworker who has gone all the way up to a PhD from some online diploma mill.  I did not finish college.  I'm her boss.  As long as she is employed in my department, I'll always be her boss.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

As a slight tangent, there were a few casual conversations on the subject of "Harvard of the...."  The most common being "Harvard of the South" which is often used and hotly contested.  The consensus leaned towards the actual answer being Duke.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LoL...

@neshomamench    

I got ya.....it's more of a funny joke as no one really takes it literally. We have shirts and sweaters that say it in the bookstore on campus.

I think that Duke would fit that role, I do have a friend that got her undergrad from Tulane and then Phd from Duke. I can't speak for her, but she always thought more highly of Tulane.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

U of P is not. real university.  It is more like the People Magazine of academics.

If you want an on line degree look at real schools that have a significant history of delivering quality instruction and don't have the really high tuition and fees that the U of P kinds of schools have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have to disagree...

The University of Phoenix has been regionally accredited since 1978 by The Higher Learning Commission (HLC) as a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA).

I'll put my diploma against any other fancy college diploma

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top