Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:10:25 PM EDT
[#1]
My dept forced all SGTs and K9 units to the Tahoe a couple yrs ago. They were told like it or leave. So our fleet consisted of tahoes and chargers. Love the charger but they too will be phased out in favor of the new Ford Utility.

It's really a damn shame the Carbon Motors E7 didn't catch on. My understanding  is they went down the tubes due to no Federal funding. Carbon motors E7
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I fuckin' love the Explorer.  Small, fast and manueverable.  Sit higher up and much quicker to exit in a pinch.  I hope they keep it...
View Quote
I did a ride along with a buddy LEO in one.

Not only is it fast for a V6, but he had it going around corners where I was rather certain I was going to die in a rollover.
Nope...clung to the ground like a drunk guy hanging onto the grass.

Color me impressed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

How is the new Caprice selling? gm fleet only.
View Quote

Terribly. Nobody has really adopted them in any volume and the ones out there have been mechanical nightmares. Rumor is they're done after 2018.

I wouldn't get too excited about the Crown Vic coming back either. Even if it does it will just be a name plate on an existing platform and not a body on frame RWD.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I worked on mine this weekend. Touched up some of that peeling paint.

View Quote

Local PD still has a few CVs they stick part timers in. To say they look rough would be an understatement. They are starting to look like something from a Mad Max film.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
With turbo 4 and 6cyl SUV's that have plenty of power, are roomier, get better economy and sit HIGHER up giving Police better visibility I couldn't imagine many departments going back to cars after having been in a SUV such as the explorer.  I could see use for highway patrol but that's about it.
View Quote

We have quite a few that are picking AWD chargers over the explorers. A lot of departments won't adopt or pay for the ecoboost option in the explorers. Believe it or not, the AWD chargers have been cheaper for maintenance and repairs than the fords, plus the chargers don't try to give the occupants carbon monoxide poisoning.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The 500 was their attempt at renaming the Taurus, it failed.
View Quote
I thought it was bigger than a Taurus.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My dept forced all SGTs and K9 units to the Tahoe a couple yrs ago. They were told like it or leave. So our fleet consisted of tahoes and chargers. Love the charger but they too will be phased out in favor of the new Ford Utility.

It's really a damn shame the Carbon Motors E7 didn't catch on. My understanding  is they went down the tubes due to no Federal funding. Carbon motors E7
View Quote

It was a terrible business model and a waste of tax money.

Good riddance.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I didn't know about the exhaust manifold problem with Explorers.
The fact that Ford has done nothing about... sadly predictable
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Taurus:
Snow performance is superior when taking off or getting through unplowed snow.
Braking on snow with all seasons sucks.
There's about an inch less ground clearance.
Accelerator sometimes gets "lost" for a second when you are getting on it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:33:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Most of the officers I know much prefer a body on frame vehicle vs uni-body for police work. No surprise the Taurus/Explorer isn't catching on.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I didn't know about the exhaust manifold problem with Explorers.
The fact that Ford has done nothing about... sadly predictable
View Quote

It's not a made up problem. It made one of our guys start to black out while driving. He thought he was having a medical of some sort and pulled over. An ER trip revealed CO in his body and an internet search revealed the exhaust leak issue.  We have a ton of explorers but our admin isn't concerned.

Please spread the word if you know guys with non-ecoboost explorers.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#13]
The department I worked in didn't let you go on a pursuit in an SUV, so K-9 officers and higher-ups wouldn't be allowed to. To prevent high-speed, roll-over accidents. The faster you are going, the harder it is to recover from a small steering mistake. 
There seems to be a big investment into the Taurus popo-version, so that is going to be around for awhile, like it or not. I guess they could modify a Lincoln, since they seem to be the only other full-size sedan out there.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Why would they bring back the Crown Vic?

They might get some police sales but civilian sales are unlikely, besides they have the Taurus for the full size car category.

They would have to invest a fortune in tooling and they are already selling Taurus to the police market.

It doesn't sound likely.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Let's look at this logically...

Ford announced the Bronco is coming back for model year 2020. So 2 plus years on, and were are talking about a vehicle that will be made with existing parts, tooling and on current manufacturing lines.

The Panther platform(Crown Vic) was discontinued back in 2011 due to its aging platform was at the end of it's lifespan. It could not be made to effectively and efficiently meet new government CAFE and safety standards.(Never-mind the slumping sales in the years prior and for it's last model year it was sold in the Middle-East only.)

The St. Thomas Assembly where these cars were produced was shuttered, and all of it's tooling was sold off. If a new Crown Vic was to be made, it would only share the model name, a new car would have to designed from the ground up, on new production lines. And with Ford stating they have a goal of integrating Ford's and Ford Europe's model lines, I cannot see them building a brand new car that would really only have a desire to fleet buyers.

I love Crown Vic's, I've owned 5 Panthers, but they ain't coming back.
View Quote

Isn't the continental a new chassis? maybe they will base it off of that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:55:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Love, love, love, the Crown Vics. Was in many low and high speed wrecks in those. (back in the day when you ended pursuits by bending some sheet metal) My DUI Task Force car in the late 80's had every piece of sheet metal except for the roof replaced at least once. Great cars, always felt safe. (the fire thing was a little scary)
The guys I know still on the job hated the Caprice, say they were disposable cars. They love the Explorers, are OK with the Taurus. Many love the Chargers and Tahoe's. But almost all of them would love to have the Old CVP package back. I know several guys that passed up taking a new car to get a take home CVP.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:59:33 PM EDT
[#17]
From my understanding the exhaust issue has been addressed, although I don't know if a official recall has been issued? I've got a fe LEO friends here, and they hands down prefer the 2016 and newer Explorers, they handle the snow, dry dirt roads, and pavement all far and above anything else they have been issued, non complain about entry or exit, and they all say their very comfortable, a couple even bought them for their personal cars. On the CV coming back like said above, it would be name only, the old car is gone, the money and resources it would take to bring it back or a new platform just is not going to happen for the limited sales it would get. What I find amusing about every model change is you will find segments that hate the new but want the old back, hell some are still complaining about the Explorer not being body on frame anymore, they don't get the amount of research that goes into each model, model changes and updates. I for one could see a for LEO car or SUV only, but for that to happen the big 3 would have to walk away from Leo sales entirely, and then who would have the money and resources to do it, only to most likely fail from goverment intervention on being a monopoly.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#18]
We've gone Charger and Utility.  PI Sedan is being phased out for us.

The CV was an absolute work-horse.  And extremely durable.

Would buy again tomorrow if they start making them (or similar) RWD V8 sedan with a frame...
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Most of the officers I know much prefer a body on frame vehicle vs unibody for police work. No surprise the Taurus/Explorer isn't catching on.
View Quote

I find that funny as most wouldn't know if they were not told, I bet their personal vehicles unless their a full size SUV are not body on frame. Then their only that way because they share a truck platform to keep costs down. A unibody car can be made just as stiff or stiffer than a on frame platform, as well as being far superior to transferring energy around the vehicle. The one place the body on frame is trucks, and that's obvious why. The Charger is a unibody, it seems liked. The unibody is actually a better setup as the car is the frame, not just hanging panels on a unsupported body, like I said above their better at transmitting energy, they will handle better, survive a crash better, and their not as heavy. To get a full frame car to do what a unibody does requires allot more weight, which decreases power to weight, and braking ability unless compensated for.  The unibody hate really comes from lack of knowledge, and carry overs of crash results from cars from the late 60's through the 80's.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:19:35 PM EDT
[#20]
What's cheaper?  You all would be patrolling in a Chevy Cruz if it were up to me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#21]
St.Thomas is long gone, so they'd have to build a new plant from scratch for them. Seems unlikely.

The current Taurus is due for a change from the current Volvo S80-derived chassis to a stretched Fusion chassis, which actually gives more interior room. And the new Expedition will be a better Tahoe competitor.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What's cheaper?  You all would be patrolling in a Chevy Cruz if it were up to me.
View Quote

They'd last about a month before you had to get another one.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:00:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

So, the 36k + we spent on Tahoes isn't up to your standards?

Thankfully you're not in charge.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:07:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Our CVPIs are getting long in the tooth, and in the next few years will all wind up retired due to age or crash damage. Currently the replacement schedule has been Caprices, with a few Tahoes for special purposes. Who knows what comes next after the Caprice is no longer available...all Tahoes? Chargers?

Our fleet mechanics would far rather stick with the CVPI and Tahoe from what I hear. Lots of guys love the Caprice, but a large part of that is the excitement of trading a 100k+ car in for a brand new shiny thing with electronics all over. I'm rather lazy though, and absolutely hate having to turn my car in for maintenance - if it can't be done in an hour or two I probably don't need it. CVPI has been easy to keep running without much beyond typical maintenance-I think I blew the alternator around 90k, and just had it swapped out while I hung out for a bit.

In contrast, the ~20% or so of units with Caprices seem to go in for repair on a monthly basis. Cars with 10-20k on them that have had to go to the shop 3 or 4 times for days or weeks at a time. Power steering issues, electronics issues, A/C issues, brakes not lasting for shit (installing mid to low grade components rather than performance, and then costing more money in the long run). The CVPI had the advantage of many more years evolutionary advancement over the Caprice to work out the bugs and figure out how to keep things working, plus the advantage of a considerably less complex system with fewer things to go wrong.

I quite frankly don't want a Caprice because I don't want to have to strip everything out and put it all back in on a bi-weekly basis for a fleet repair trip. They are fast, yes. Their handling and performance are always going to beat the CVPI. But there's zero storage room, and god help the officers who aren't small. Watching a 6'3" 250lb officer with the build of a football player trying to unfold out of one is just painful.

The CVPI isn't going to come back though...and we may never see a single platform have the same utter ubiquitous standard for LE that the Ford enjoyed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

How is the new Caprice selling? gm fleet only.
View Quote

Chevy SS.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#29]
I've never understood why nobody ever designed a "from the ground up" cruiser. They always start with a regular consumer sedan or SUV, then start cramming lights, computers, radios, guns, a cage, etc into it, and run out of room fast. They do get some little upgrades over the consumer stuff, like altered governors, stuff like that.

Seems to me if you had a normal sedan, lengthened the wheelbase by about 2 feet so there was room for all the shit you need to add, and still have room for an officer, and you still have parts commonality with whatever it's based off of. As long as it was comparably priced, they'd probably sell like fucking hotcakes.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:20:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've never understood why nobody ever designed a "from the ground up" cruiser. They always start with a regular consumer sedan or SUV, then start cramming lights, computers, radios, guns, a cage, etc into it, and run out of room fast. They do get some little upgrades over the consumer stuff, like altered governors, stuff like that.

Seems to me if you had a normal sedan, lengthened the wheelbase by about 2 feet so there was room for all the shit you need to add, and still have room for an officer, and you still have parts commonality with whatever it's based off of. As long as it was comparably priced, they'd probably sell like fucking hotcakes.
View Quote

There was this...

and it was vaporware.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol, you mean the Impala?

Ah yes, brilliant bean counting: save money on the front end, lose your ass on the backend with repairs and maintenance.

How often do you get audited?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cost.

Cost of engineers, cost of stamping molds, cost of production line changes, cost of testing, cost of part inventory systems, cost of low volume production, etc.  

Cop cars costs are kept down by using a standard production chassis and bodies, using engines and transmissions that they already make millions of, etc. The few cop car specific parts are in lieu of parts or easy bolt on parts.

Most Departments already don't want to spend anymore than they have to. A model that costs $10,000+ the going rate that has rarer special order parts would never sell in any significant volume.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#33]
our local dep. has about 4 vics that are getting old and 1 vic i see around that looks brand spanking new.

was never a cop but i always loved crown vics. i think the chance of them coming back is slim.

a buddy of mine at the pd had me sit in a taurus once. im 5'6" 150 lbs and it seemed cramped for me. i couldn't imagine being a bigger guy in one of those things.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Most of the officers I know much prefer a body on frame vehicle vs uni-body for police work. No surprise the Taurus/Explorer isn't catching on.
View Quote

The Taurus/Explorer OWNS the police market in Iowa.  They're catching on just fine.  

Only major exception is the state patrol which has a lot of Chargers but even they have some Fords in the fleet.  The Crown Vics are just about all gone.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I worked on mine this weekend. Touched up some of that peeling paint.

View Quote

You are a reserve or part time deputy if I remember, right? Do you have to supply your own patrol car or do you drive a county owned one?

Also I hope they bring them back. Old people, cops, and taxi companies should keep the line busy enough. If I were to get a car a CV would be my top pick.

I'm salivating at the Bronco's return. I hope Ford doesn't fuck it up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:47:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

If it were up to me you would not get any police dept at all.  I'd let PA go all "Lord of the Flies" along with every other blue state.  .
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Eco Boost Coyote Crown Vic
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Seeing things on social media that the Crown Vic is coming back in 2018.

Chevy had a huge price increase in the Tahoes. The stretch Taurus is not catching on officers are not liking the Explorers.

Any insiders have information?
View Quote

I can hardly walk after all those years of jumping out of those damned Crown Vic low riders. My left hip is shot and my back is even worse. Luckily I'll never have to drive one of those POS again.

The Tahoe's, shit that they were, at least didnt leave you crippled after driving them. And since nobody chases anymore they do fine. We dont have 4WD ones "brilliant eh"? and after a huge snow storm I had to drive around in my personal 4 X 4 to pick guys up and bring them to work.

We still had some 440 Chryslers around when I first came on. They were kinda beat up but they were fun.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#39]
I have been told the AWD Explorers handle extremely well in rain and snow. Officers in my AO like them
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It's not a made up problem. It made one of our guys start to black out while driving. He thought he was having a medical of some sort and pulled over. An ER trip revealed CO in his body and an internet search revealed the exhaust leak issue.  We have a ton of explorers but our admin isn't concerned.

Please spread the word if you know guys with non-ecoboost explorers.
View Quote

So, is it only the non ecoboost models with an exaust problem?
I was just looking at 2017 Explorers with the 3.5L V6 TT Sport model.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#42]
If it comes with a column shifter and can be retrofitted with bench seats, I'd love to buy one.

At 200"+ the Crown Victoria was one of the last vestiges of the economy land yachts that cruised the American highways of yesteryear.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I can hardly walk after all those years of jumping out of those damned Crown Vic low riders. My left hip is shot and my back is even worse. Luckily I'll never have to drive one of those POS again.

The Tahoe's, shit that they were, at least didnt leave you crippled after driving them. And since nobody chases anymore they do fine. We dont have 4WD ones "brilliant eh"? and after a huge snow storm I had to drive around in my personal 4 X 4 to pick guys up and bring them to work.

We still had some 440 Chryslers around when I first came on. They were kinda beat up but they were fun.
View Quote
She's the last of the 440's, Max.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#44]
I love my first two CVPI's then I was issued a Tahoe while i was in another division. Came back to Enforcement and was issued another CVPI and I hate it. I feel like I am folded into a little ball in the drivers seat. It fucking sucks but I should be getting a Hemi Charger any day now...
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Nope.  Taurus and Exploder are here to stay.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#46]
How's the maintenance on the AWD Ecoboost Taurus Interceptors?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

We don't have the ecoboost, but its had its issues.

I think the tranny needs to be replaced, and it doesn't even have 50k on it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#48]
My department has or had them all and I think we still have a Tahoe and a Caprice being used. There are hemi chargers, Ford SUVs and sedans. I love the SUV. Much better than the Crown Vic. I am 6'1, 240ish and I can set the seat back far enough to almost not be able to touch the pedals if I have them moved forward. As far as cargo, there is enough room to carry a shield, breaching tools, beanbag shotgun and other stuff in the back cargo area. The back seat is usually relegated to an officer's personal bag. We have wagons to haul prisoners but in the event of self transport, there is the passenger front seat. I hate the sedan. I like the charger because it moves on out. Overall, the SUV is where it is at for me. The only one I haven't driven is the Tahoe. I only test drove a Caprice and it ran well but I have no patrol experience in it.

I have not heard one single officer complain about the SUV. There are also not many complaints from the officers about the chargers. The sedans are love or hate. The trunks on them were to small to carry all the aforementioned supervisor gear so all supervisors get SUVs. As well as our TAC guys.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I fuckin' love the Explorer.  Small, fast and manueverable.  Sit higher up and much quicker to exit in a pinch.  I hope they keep it...
View Quote

This.  I've had two Vics, a 2wd Tahoe and an Explorer.  The Explorer is by far the best I've been in.  The only complaint is from the two man cars.  Computer cramps the passenger.  Vics sit way too low and are a bitch to get in and out of dozens of times a shift.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I was thinking that might be a good auction pick up, but I was also thinking that it has a lot to go wrong for a cop car.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top