BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:16:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All three of the Explorers I've driven over the last four years have had the exhaust leak problem. Ford has a technical service bulletin out but nothing the dealerships did fixed the problem.

It's not a made up problem. It made one of our guys start to black out while driving. He thought he was having a medical of some sort and pulled over. An ER trip revealed CO in his body and an internet search revealed the exhaust leak issue.  We have a ton of explorers but our admin isn't concerned.

Please spread the word if you know guys with non-ecoboost explorers.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

What about the Charger wagons/Magnums?
View Quote

Those are used as LEO vehicles?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#3]
We have been getting Chargers pretty cheap. Rumor is around 22k, with no lights radio's, etc.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Gone after 2017.

General Motors will cease production of its Chevrolet Caprice police sedan after building the rear-wheel drive patrol car for six model years in Australia.

Law enforcement agenices can submit orders for 2017 Caprice PPV (Police Patrol Vehicle) sedans through the end of February, said Rita Kass-Shamoun, a GM Fleet spokesperson.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seeing things on social media that the Crown Vic is coming back in 2018.

Chevy had a huge price increase in the Tahoes. The stretch Taurus is not catching on officers are not liking the Explorers.

Any insiders have information?

How is the new Caprice selling? gm fleet only.

Gone after 2017.

General Motors will cease production of its Chevrolet Caprice police sedan after building the rear-wheel drive patrol car for six model years in Australia.

Law enforcement agenices can submit orders for 2017 Caprice PPV (Police Patrol Vehicle) sedans through the end of February, said Rita Kass-Shamoun, a GM Fleet spokesperson.

I have never been a fan of retired police cars but I would love a retired Caprice PPV. A local department uses them, everybody else has Explorers and a few aged CVPIs.
The Caprice PPV has to be about the most unassuming looking cars ever. With LS power. Can you say sleeper.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Bringem back. Miss the good old days when I could recognize the headlights.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:38:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Chevy had a huge price increase in the Tahoes. The stretch Taurus is not catching on officers are not liking the Explorers.

View Quote

Local SD is buying new Taurii, and Explorers.  They are both popular but have had some transmission issues with the Explorers.  They supposedly dont hold up to abuse.  

New CVPI would be great.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why would they bring back the Crown Vic?

They might get some police sales but civilian sales are unlikely, besides they have the Taurus for the full size car category.

They would have to invest a fortune in tooling and they are already selling Taurus to the police market.

It doesn't sound likely.
View Quote

I agree, the CVPI ain't coming back. They were made at the ST. Thomas Assembly Plant which was closed in 2011.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#8]
We went from the CV to the Explorer, and everyone fucking hates it. Ford had to come out and replace the front brake lines on all of ours on the QT...didn't want to issue a straight up re-call so we told them to come pick up their shit, or fix it. The thing is nothing but blind spots for placement parking and you're riding with a partner, good luck fitting everything in the trunk. If you're the passenger the MDT is completely useless. We're getting smoked in pursuits like never before..I know everyone raves about the drivability of the AWD platform, but anyone who spends a lot of time in the car will tell you, it's safety AWD, not performance AWD, there is a difference. For those that are legit drivers, the SUV will hold you back. You could drive the CV, (and get in trouble) in a way that the SUV electronics simply won't let you. We got guys hiding the CV's with 100K on the clock before they'll drive a 0 mile SUV.    We sold management on the Caprice, they didn't like the additional tariff from Australia or the lack of column shifter (at the time) so we got the SUV's. We tacked our order on with CHP, but their ditching theirs also so....
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Noooo! I want cops to keep driving Chargers!

As the driver of a black 2014 SRT8, having other drivers behave around me and not pass me on the highway at night because TX DPS drives Chargers is hilarious.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Haven't heard any complaints about the Explorer although we like our Tahoes.  Our Sheriff Dept has a bunch of new U/C Dodge Durrangos. Have to see how they do. 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Personally, I love the Ford Taurus patrol car but I am built like Daniel Day Lewis.  Not as tall, but just as thin.  

Many of the guys dont like the Taurus because they dont fit into it easily or comfortably.    

The Ford Crown Victoria to me is still superior in terms of handling and acceleration.   It seems to be wider and has a lower center of gravity plus with the V8 engine, it feels awesome when accelerating.  Feels much lighter than the Taurus, too.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#12]
About the Ford Explorers, I was set on buying a 2016 but decided not to after reading complaints from owners who say they can smell exhaust inside of the vehicle while driving.   These are not the older ones, either.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
About the Ford Explorers, I was set on buying a 2016 but decided not to after reading complaints from owners who say they can smell exhaust inside of the vehicle while driving.   These are not the older ones, either.
View Quote

There is a fix. Had it in my 14 ecoboost, Ford fixed in in a day.  If you have it, you'll know it, and it's fixable.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:19:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There is a fix. Had it in my 14 ecoboost, Ford fixed in in a day.  If you have it, you'll know it, and it's fixable.
View Quote

What is the fix?  Exhaust manifold leak? Bad seal?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:48:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I fuckin' love the Explorer.  Small, fast and manueverable.  Sit higher up and much quicker to exit in a pinch.  I hope they keep it...
View Quote

just keep the windows cracked so he carbon monoxide don't get ya.

cough cough

J-
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:51:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Those are used as LEO vehicles?
View Quote

we had one and it was worse than the chargers. shittiest police car I've driven. we shit canned it with about 25k miles on it.

J-
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:51:41 AM EDT
[#17]
police need hellcats

hellcat lives matter
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:53:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Give me my AWD Charger any day of the week.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:58:24 AM EDT
[#19]
We're in the middle of the transition to the Caprice. Then they canceled the Caprice. Then they said we'd go to Tahoes. Then there was the Tahoe price increase. What a shitshow.

I'm still driving an '11 CVPI with 89,000 miles on it. It was a motor officer's car, and he was always on his motor. I will be dragged kicking and screaming from it, and likely at gunpoint.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:02:48 AM EDT
[#20]
The only thing I miss about the CV was the sound on the radio when someone keyed up and you could hear the motor in the back ground.

Other than than, it's outclassed by even the slow ass Tahoes. Our ecoboost explorers are perfect for around here, and are quick as shit going from street to street in a pursuit and seem to have held up pretty well even as fleet cars for the first year we've issued them.

The only complaint I've heard from the guys that drive them have been the distance from the steering wheel to the A-pillar makes it a pain in the ass to use the spot light.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:05:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I fuckin' love the Explorer.  Small, fast and manueverable.  Sit higher up and much quicker to exit in a pinch.  I hope they keep it...
View Quote
I own one, Every cop I ask say they love it, faster than you would think also.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:10:16 AM EDT
[#22]
I fought trading in my Vic for months.  Got a new Explorer.  You couldn't force me back into a sedan now.  The Explorer with AWD and eco boost is the best police vehicle out there today.  Lots of room,sit higher, handle better, and will SMOKE a Crown Victoria.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:13:36 AM EDT
[#23]
It's all bullshit.  Those lines are gone, the factories converted to other stuff
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:15:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Out here in rural USA it has transitioned from CVPI's to crew cab pickups and full size SUV's (not exploders). The state decided on caprices but I don't think chevy could build them fast enough so they are running chargers now. The cops who know anything about cars want the caprice, nobody seems to give a shit.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:19:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Good because those current incepters are garbage. Unless of course you are 5' 7" to about 5'11" and skinny as fucking rail. Its another reason many departments use the SUVs the average or above average officer can actually fit and not have to be a contortionist to get in and out of the damn thing.
View Quote

I love the shit out of my '13 interceptor. Quick, maneuverable, plenty of room for me. I'm 5-11, 165.

I'll be really sad when it dies. We aren't buying the twin turbo models anymore.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:21:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Myself, I like the AWD Explorer.  Shaved almost minute off my track time once I became used to it. You simply CANNOT throw that thing off a serpentine track.  That said, I have a soft spot for the CV.

Tahoes are great for the L&W guys etc,  but for patrol they need MUCH better brakes and something needs to be done about the blind spots.
View Quote
any track videos?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:32:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:39:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The exhaust leaks into the cabin, and for an AWD vehicle they are absolute shit in the snow.  Leg room is lacking if your over 6', and frequent transmission issues.  

The high points are the handling, cargo room, and the higher stance makes the dismount much faster and easier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It seemed foolish that Ford quit making it in the first place, considering the LE market.

What is it about the Explorers that y'all do NOT like?
Conversely, what makes the Crown Vic your first choice?

The exhaust leaks into the cabin, and for an AWD vehicle they are absolute shit in the snow.  Leg room is lacking if your over 6', and frequent transmission issues.  

The high points are the handling, cargo room, and the higher stance makes the dismount much faster and easier.
first vehicle I've had in 27 years here that I can drive all winter on hwy tires sucks on snow? Every other car and pickup I have had to buy studs to get home or to work. The traction control is fucking impressive as hell, if I had Blizzaks with studs it would be unreal. Every cop car here has studs.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:40:07 AM EDT
[#29]
The Ford Expedition with the twin turbo V6 engine is the cat's ass for a patrol vehicle.

As far as Crown Vic goes...  Rolling up on a call would be embarrassing.

Go be employed by a poor agency somewhere else.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:40:51 AM EDT
[#30]
My city has around 220-230 officers and are patrolling with Chargers and Tahoes. The last order was 7 Chargers and 14 Tahoes even with the Tahoes costing $10k more each.

They had one Caprice a few years ago and recently got a PI SUV (I assume both were/test cars).

The only Crown Vics I generally see out are parked at various businesses as a visual deterrent. Some of those have been replaced by the older Chargers though.

Outside of my city, my side of DFW is mostly Chargers Tahoes and Crown Vics. Some police interceptor SUVs, a few police interceptor sedans and very few Caprices.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:43:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Currently assigned a 07 Vic with 98,XXX miles.

I really like the new Explorers over the new Tahoe.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:23:07 AM EDT
[#32]
My department is talking about going to all Tahoes, but I think I would prefer a car. The Tahoes are slower than the Chargers we have now, but the maintenance on the Chargers is ridiculous. I had heard rumors that Ford might bring back the Falcon, and that it would share a chassis with the Mustang. That could potentially make a good cruiser, but it may not even happen.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:58:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Reality is we will never have another crown Vic again in terms of simplicity and reliability. The Vic's had their mechanical problems too but the problems were predictable, relatively minor, and relatively affordable to fix. It was an excellent fleet car.

I don't miss driving vics everyday. They weren't that glamous as we'd like to think. Low points were uncomfortable seat backs, horrible headlights, terrible snow traction, peeling paint, squeaking suspension, fm radios that would randomly crank up the volume to max, etc. Power was respectable 20 years ago but was weak by the time production ended with no major engine updates.

The only guys that want to keep the old Vic's are the bean counters, those that haven't drove anything else long term, or are forced to drive an impala or Taurus.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:11:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

You mean you don't get to patrol the streets in your avatar?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:42:43 AM EDT
[#35]
All our guys like the Ford SUVs, and we didn't even buy ecoboost package yet. Most of us are in Tahoes and a splash of Charger here and there. Chargers are the pursuit rides, we keep them near the highways.

It's a little nostalgic hopping in one of the old CVPIs anymore that have been assigned to volunteers or general fleet duty. They have a unique sound and and feel. Handle like a bathtub on roller skates though, and modern 4 banger econoboxes easily give them a run for their money.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:47:05 AM EDT
[#36]
I hope they do something.  My department absolutely will not spend the money for a bunch of Explorers, and all of the other options are built for fucking midgets.  With all of the new designs, I have to ball up like a fucking turtle to get in and out without smacking my head, and the visibility is just retarded.  Also, there is no leg room in those things.  I willingly take the CVs with 180000 miles over the new cars.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:55:49 AM EDT
[#37]
I want a Marauder with the 6.2 from the Raptor.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:12:15 AM EDT
[#38]
It would be cool if Ford had something that could use the current F-150 drivetrains in a package with a lower center of mass and a shorter wheelbase.

The result would be something that's probably got better longevity than the current options, and 3 of the 4 available engines can really haul some ass.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:14:33 AM EDT
[#39]
I have a 2014 non-ecoboost Explorer as my issued ride. I got out of a CVPI, and this smokes the shit out of my old CV. Takes corners at speeds that would have made the CV slide right out. Handles like it's on rails. Much higher up, better visibility, easier in and out. It's not a matter of IF a cop's left knee will go out, it's a matter of when. I'm 6'4" tall, and getting out of a CVPI involves climbing. A shift in one of our old spares leaves me with a limp anymore. The Explorers aren't as tough as my old CVPI, my old car could take a beating. I have bent control arms, and destroyed steering components in a moderate speed impact on a curb, and destroyed steering components on a pothole hit at 50. They are the shit when it comes to ice and snow, we have had 7 snow events this year, and my ride has gone from breaking through fresh powder 12" deep, to zipping around on glare ice. Not a problem either way. The Interceptor SUV is the best all around police car I've ever driven, hands down. Now, to make it "better', make sure you order it with Bluetooth, and the premium sound system. The base sound system sucks. Get the seat upgrade. They feel better than the regular seats. Beyond that, I can't complain too much about ours.

The Interceptor sedans are made for short guys. We got two, and I can't get in and out of them. When I do sit in the thing, I look hard left, and I'm looking at the B-pillar. The visibility SUCKS out of those things. They go ok, and handle well, but they're not for tall folks. The Explorer Interceptor is the only squad car I've ever had with lots of room above my head. Enough room to haul all my crap too. 2-3x the space of a CVPI trunk and right seat. Typing this is making me depressed, I'm going to have to loan my Explorer out to guys doing EVOC refreshers, and spend a shift in a shitbox CVPI. God help me.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:17:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MRAPs are crap.

They're cool for rolling around Baghdad at 15 MPH while you're in a convoy with other MRAPs and there's a QRF and recovery team standing by at a nearby FOB, but fuck using them on US roads as a standalone vehicle in emergency situations.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:17:47 AM EDT
[#41]
My biggest comlaint about the current Ford Sedan PPV is how low and back I need to have the seat in order to fit (6', 200lb). With the seat set right my legs are still uncomfortable and the B pillar blocks my FOV. I find myself leaning forward to look all the time. The Explorer PPV is much better. I hope we get more.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:21:44 AM EDT
[#42]
They all run Dodge Chargers around here.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:27:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I want a Marauder with the EcoBoost 3.5 from the Raptor.
View Quote

Fixed
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:01:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:17:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My biggest comlaint about the current Ford Sedan PPV is how low and back I need to have the seat in order to fit (6', 200lb). With the seat set right my legs are still uncomfortable and the B pillar blocks my FOV. I find myself leaning forward to look all the time. The Explorer PPV is much better. I hope we get more.
View Quote
I sat in one from another Dept.  As a lefty I noticed that I couldn't get in the car easily because my pistol caught on the B pillar.  Never had that problem in a CVPI.

Also, had to scoot over so I could get the damn door closed.

Was not impressed.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:36:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Step your game up! I'm just over 215,000. Supposed to get decommed soon
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:25:53 AM EDT
[#47]
So in 10 years we will see pot heads working at Taco Bell driving these old police cruisers with the stripes painted over?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:31:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So in 10 years we will see pot heads working at Taco Bell driving these old police cruisers with the stripes painted over?
View Quote
I've never, ever seen a squad that had painted on stripes.

You can just see where the stripes were after the vinyl is peeled off because the rest of the paint has faded.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:41:14 AM EDT
[#49]
I've had a 2013 Explorer (Non-Eco) for two and half years now....

I hate the upright uncomfortable seats, it causes my duty belt to dig into me. No leg room, I miss my 2008 Charger because I could stretch my legs out (6'2"). It gets horrible gas mileage and has a small gas tank. Crappy headlight/high beam pattern. If you brake hard it'll kick it down a gear and rev the shit out of the engine. I blew a motor last year.

And lately, I've been getting very intense dull headaches, feeling dizzy, having blurred vision. I just heard about this exhaust leak problem last week. Funny enough I brought up my symptoms two days before seeing the article and expressed I think exhaust is leaking into the vehicle. I'm going to start carrying a CO detector with me on duty.

We just got a hemi AWD Charger in, I hope it's mine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:49:50 AM EDT
[#50]
I drive a 2006 CVPI at work. Still going strong.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top