Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#1]
An Adventure Tourer is more versatile, and IMHO more fun.

But, it depends on your style of riding...if you're not going to get near dirt, then that narrows the argument.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:29:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Bikes inspire us, one bike never seems to inspire us long, lol.

The honda, it didn't inspire me, although I'd bet it's a solid runner for years(I'm lucky to keep a bike longer than 2 years).

For road miles, buy comfort, Your DL got the job done and was great bang for the buck a GREAT bike.  I tend to like like an abundance of power in a road bike, and have grown past the 800cc bikes there, I'd rather a GS1200 vs an 800.

FZ09, I don't own, but have 10 minutes of seat time on, so I know nothing, but it was a fun bike!!!!

Someone mentioned FJR 1300, oh man, nice.  KTM 990, inspiring!!

The Honda and yammy your looking at, they don't suck, I'd lean Yammy.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I test rode the F800GT.  It was a fast bike but could not get past the amount of heat that it put out on my legs.  

I currently ride a '14 V-Strom 650, but I think that my next bike will have a shaft drive.  The VFR1200X looks like an interesting option for the future.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I test rode the F800GT.  It was a fast bike but could not get past the amount of heat that it put out on my legs.
View Quote

I love the look/idea of the F800GT but I've read a lot of issues from owners, and the belt set up turns me off too....ever priced one? Holy shit...could buy two sets of chain/sprockets for what one costs.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:45:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My personal longest day is 11 hrs. So long distance capable is an absolute must. A major downside of the Vstrom is that it started getting a bit uncomfortable above 70mph for long periods. Which I am imagining a Africa Twin would rectify.
View Quote

You'd be wrong about that, more than likely. The A/T is more dirt oriented than the Vstrom, taller and narrower, more like a dirt bike. It's not an all-day touring machine like a GSA.

If you want road comfort, long distance legs and pavement accumen, the Africa Twin the LEAST likely of the liter adventure bikes. That said, I TOTALLY want one because it's more dirt oriented. I ride mine offroad, as much as I can.

Remember, it's got 18/21" tubed tires...it was built to be more dual sport than road machine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm a little bias in favor of Ducati....

My vote is Multistrada. I have been thinking about picking one up myself.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:58:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My personal longest day is 11 hrs. So long distance capable is an absolute must. A major downside of the Vstrom is that it started getting a bit uncomfortable above 70mph for long periods. Which I am imagining a Africa Twin would rectify.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The ADV bikes are more comfortable for long days, not just off road capability.

How long do you see yourself riding at a time?

my tiger 800 does tgat. Seatconcepts seat and 2"rox risers make it a joy to spend all day on
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:11:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Used to have an ADV bike (KLR650),  I didnt ride it much.

Sold it, bought a Suzuki Bandit 1250SA which is a ST bike.  I use it a ton.

ST bikes are easier and more comfortable to ride.  I do realize I can't ride in dirt but oh well. There's more pavement than dirt where I live.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:12:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I've had a KLR for the past 8 years I use for commuting and occasional off-road (dirt/gravel wide track) camping and messing around. I bought a 2014 Versys 650 after selling a 2014 Bolt and liked the riding style of the bike. Still have the KLR but also purchased a 2016 Versys 1000 with bags. Love the ride and have been touring Oregon and Washington in the better weather months. Off to Idaho in a few months.

Photobucket is being bitchy on my work PC so pics up later.

my set up for touring

camp site was off road so there is that

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wouldn't want to do 11hrs on the AT.

My buddy did 40hrs straight on an FJR this fall while doing an Iron Butt 50cc.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Between a ADV type or ST, the riding position can be quite a bit different, which is more comfortable to you?

I can't do much time on my brothers BMW sport tourers till everything from my shoulders down get numb(and he has aftermarket risers on them). He can do it all day long.
The ADV bikes are more upright of course but they can sure be tall.
It's a personal comfort choice as I see it, based on your low dirt use. A lot of people tour on the ADV rides.
And of course the big factor of "what grabs you".
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I appreciate your input. If I came across as adversarial, that's just me eliciting points and counterpoints. I hope you don't think I'm trying to dismiss what your saying. I'll be reading it over a few times. Argument for the sake of thoroughness and all that. And a KLR 650 is an awesome machine in my opinion. But I will be a one bike guy for a while and it doesn't tick enough boxes. Similarly, there is a reason I'm not really interested in pure sport bikes or faster bikes than what I've named. I unreservedly undertstand that 100mph on a highway is just boring. I'm more interested in twists and turns, so lightness takes precedence. No particular interest in something like an RC51. And hitting a corner just right is a big thrill to me. It's something that can always be done better.
View Quote

Sounds like you are about where I'm at....  I have an R1M,  a GSX-R1000,  a KLR650 and an NSR80.  The Klr is a little too basic and doesn't tic off the right boxes....

I'm looking for a sporting standard-Yamaha fucked me over so the FZ and FJ09 are out as is the Super Tenerre. Honda for it almost right with their new Adventures but I hear it's pretty slow.....

.....  But Triumph redid the street triple as a 765 this year and it looks like exactly the bike I want-you might want to check into it...  Ultra light weight,  600 Supersport handling,  monster motor,  full electronic rider aids,  just a badass little bike that does everything very well.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've been researching ADV bikes for quite a while and decided my next bike is going to be the Triumph Tiger 800. It's better for on road use but is capable of doing some off-roading. Too heavy for serious off roading though. My current bike is considered a sport touring bike, although i'm not sure if i'd take it on long distance trips yet. That's kind of why im leaning towards the triumph, which is also capable of hitting the back roads with ease.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x76/DDSilverado/15002413_10211176445704780_2844745945326345737_o.jpg
Aprilia Shiver

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x76/DDSilverado/triumph-expands-tiger-800-line-up-with-xrt-and-xca-models_2.jpg
Triumph Tiger

First attempt at posting pictures, i failed...
View Quote

I wanted to like the tiger 800 really badly,  the demo did taught me that it wasn't practically different enough from my $1400 paid for Klr to pay the big nut for it.  The motor especially was bad-it was just Limp after riding the 675 Street Triple two years ago.  Handling wasn't a standout,  didn't feel at home on moderately day freeway ramps.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:35:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sounds like you are about where I'm at....  I have an R1M,  a GSX-R1000,  a KLR650 and an NSR80.  The Klr is a little too basic and doesn't tic off the right boxes....

I'm looking for a sporting standard-Yamaha fucked me over so the FZ and FJ09 are out as is the Super Tenerre. Honda for it almost right with their new Adventures but I hear it's pretty slow.....

.....  But Triumph redid the street triple as a 765 this year and it looks like exactly the bike I want-you might want to check into it...  Ultra light weight,  600 Supersport handling,  monster motor,  full electronic rider aids,  just a badass little bike that does everything very well.
View Quote

What ended with Yamaha?

They were my preferred brand for economy in dirt (WR450F currently at the farm) and I would be on one for street (FZ10) of I hadn't recently gone with a Euro ST
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Don't they?

But while I think it was a slight mistake to go so logical with the vstrom, I'm not sure I'm ready to go so far the other direction to end up with something Italian.
View Quote

Aprilia make great bikes....  But they have few dealers in the USA and they tend to come and go.  Speaking from personal experience,  Italian bike ownership isn't as convenient as buying Japanese or pretty much anyone else-and Aprilia is notorious for long waits on parts.  I broke a throttle cable once and was lucky it only took a month or of my riding season.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Get both!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Based on where I live the ADV bike would suit best.
If I have to escape something, I want to be able to get on the dirt if needed.

Probably the smaller Tiger or one of the larger dual sport bikes.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#18]
It really depends on what you want out of your motorcycle. What kind of riding do you want to do.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a 2006 BMW GS1200 with 42k miles. It was my main source of transportation for 7 years in Kommiefornia. The only good thing about Kalifornia is lane splitting.

I rode that bike in all weather conditions and went to Canada several times. My longest day was 800 miles, but I don't recommend that to anyone.

I have a Motoport kevlar two piece mesh suit that I wear from the blazing desert to freezing temps by employing heated gear and layer configuration changes.

I would never buy a bike that did not support heated gear! Custom heated Corbin seat is a true luxury.

I rode that bike on some logging roads, but it is too damn heavy for me to truly take off road.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What ended with Yamaha?

They were my preferred brand for economy in dirt (WR450F currently at the farm) and I would be on one for street (FZ10) of I hadn't recently gone with a Euro ST
View Quote

Nothing,  I'm waiting for one more thing to go wrong before my lawyer will drop the hammer.  

3 recalls,  4 months in the shop in the first year,  goes in for a transmission replacement  recall and comes out with a slipping clutch.  Yamaha was dishonest with me at every turn,  I ended up having to take it on the chin and pay for the replacement myself - on a $26k bike with 1000 miles on it .... I was lied to delayed,  denied,  bullshited,  truly flat out lied to by a Yamaha CS rep and his supervisor.  Never again, which sucks because the make bikes I really like and want to buy even right now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#21]
You should be honest with what your needs are.  I’ve seen it many times, someone will they need a fancy, big ADV bike.   Thinking of themselves as Euen McGregor doing the trans-Siberian.  They go out buy a deck out BMW, ride it a few times, then get scared, or bored.    Bike seen more of a fashion statement.  Similar to the Harley guys.
For myself, have had everything from a DRZ400 up to my present Ducati Mulitstrada.  The one bike I recommend for somebody like yourself is the Suzuki V-Strom.  Not pretty, but can pretty do everything it will ask you to do.  They can be pick-up pretty cheap used.  I really miss my V-storm.  Probably one of the most dependable bike made.  Never heard of catastrophic failure.  

My DRZ in Mongolia in 2005

My new ride (and final bike)  Ducati Multistada

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I love the GS and GSA for long distance touring while camping.  It can carry way more crap than I need while solo and just enough crap to keep my wife happy while doing it two-up.  It also handles the crappy AK and Yukon road sections with ease.  As you mention, my one truly off road attempt taught me to break out the 4 wheeler when trying to go through swamps.  

2016 GSA in front of the Tetons

2007 GS on the Top of the World Highway with full camping gear for a two-up two week trip.

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You should be honest with what your needs are.  I’ve seen it many times, someone well they need a fancy, big ADV bike.   Thinking of themselves as Euen McGregor doing the trans-Siberian.  They go out buy a deck out BMW, ride it a few times, then get scared, or bored.    Bike seen more of a fashion statement.  Similar to the Harley guys.
View Quote

Nothing wrong with that. Like I said in my earlier post, bikes in the US are for fun. If your bike makes you dream you are an adventurer then so what? It doesn't affect anyone else. And most sought after adventures start with a dream before becoming reality. I haven't done Mongolia...yet. But I have ridden all through Central America and it started with me buying a KLR and dreaming about adventure like Ewan and Charlie had. That wasn't the KLR I took on my trip but it was the starting point.

And being realistic it doesn't sound like the OP is planning on doing much off road riding but many long trips. Sooo...pretty much what the big ADV bikes are built for. Though I agree with you that the VStrom is always a solid choice. Hell for globetrotting that DRZ is probably damn near perfect though I am a KLR guy. But for commuting daily and for riding even off pavement I am truly loving my GSA. But it is an expensive bike and there are lots of other great choices.

The real answer is test ride, test ride, test ride. And for me at least a bike should make you smile and be inspiring.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Relatively cheap, fun and reliable,  sport touring - ZZR1200 (silver)

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:37:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I have four bikes.

Three of them are "ADV" bikes.

DL650
DR650
Cagiva Gran Canyon 900
GS550 Cafe

To me, and where I live, if a bike can't do a little dirt, I wont even look at it.  When riding if I see a trail heading off into the mountains, I like to be able to get off the asphalt and follow that trail if I like.  There are TONS of Forrest Service trails and 4x4 trails here in the mountains and a purely road bike would be very limiting.

I also take my ADV bikes on multi day 2,000+ mile road trips.  A sport tourer may be a little more comfortable, but I don't do slab riding and prefer the smaller country roads for cross continent travel, so the ADV bikes work great there.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#26]
African twin for flexibility. On road and off road use.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have a Motoport kevlar two piece mesh suit that I wear from the blazing desert to freezing temps by employing heated gear and layer configuration changes.
View Quote

My revit two piece is pretty much wore out at 70k miles on it.  I just put a deposit down on a motoport two piece in order to get a spot in line.  Are there any options that you especially like or wish that you'd added on?  Is this gear as kick-ass as it seems like it should be?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Because everyone says they want to have the option, but so many people don't exercise it. Worried about damaging the bike or whatnot. And if I were to get the ADV, I would want to make sure I wasn't just kidding myself. Because otherwise, a sport tourer will be more bang for the buck.
View Quote
First thing you do is put the crash cage on it and tip it over.  Mine had 300 miles on it when I tried riding it in the snow.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#29]
How far are you going to ride, and how do you want to do it? If long distances, with decent performance and maybe some unimproved roads get the ADV bike. Its more upright so it wont wear you out over the long hauls, and generally has enough suspension to handle a serious pothole or curb, and dirt roads. It is heavy enough to not get blown around on the freeway and light enough to pick it up when you drop it.
If you plan on never taking it off pavement and want more performance in corners, etc get the sport bike.
If you want to really go off road the ADV bike is going to be too heavy IMO.

I had an F800GS, it was a great all-around bike but it was too heavy to do the single track offroad i wanted to do and it didnt have the torque or geometry or position I wanted for fun mountain roads. It was a compromise; it was a damn fun bike but I wanted to have my extremes. I sold it and bought an R1200RS sport tourer and I'm in the process of getting a light enduro like a yamaha WR250R for my dirt needs.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:02:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Why not get the adventure bike?  If you like BMW 800's then look at the F800GSA.  If you get a sport touring bike, you will ONLY be on the highway.  Why not at least leave the option open for offroading / dirt road cruising if you want to?  It's not like the GSA would be that much worse on the pavement compared to the one you listed.  The pavement is boring in my personal opinion.
https://i0.wp.com/canadamotoguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/GS_wood.jpg?resize=720%2C472&ssl=1
View Quote

I agree. I just took my BMW R1100R out this weekend and beat the fuck out of it on gravel roads riding with a bunch of ADV guys. Wish I had bought an adventure bike now. Mine just doesn't have the suspension for roads like that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I went from KLR to FJR.  When I can afford it, I'm most likely going Africa twin.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I agree. I just took my BMW R1100R out this weekend and beat the fuck out of it on gravel roads riding with a bunch of ADV guys. Wish I had bought an adventure bike now. Mine just doesn't have the suspension for roads like that.
View Quote

You should trade your brother for that Strom. :D
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I traded my dl650 in for an fz09. I'm ready to go back to an ADV right meow! I'm liking the Africa Twin as well
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

DAMNIT now your going to cost me money, those aprilias  look sweet.
View Quote

I love me some aprilia.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm a little bias in favor of Ducati....

My vote is Multistrada. I have been thinking about picking one up myself.
View Quote
Yep.  Me, too
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
First thing you do is put the crash cage on it and tip it over.  Mine had 300 miles on it when I tried riding it in the snow.
View Quote

When I say damage, I dint mean scratches and dents. I mean puntcturing transmission cover, cracking.a wheel. The sort of thing that can leave you stranded.

I would feel bad if I had an ADV bike that didn't have any wear.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
First attempt at posting pictures, i failed...
View Quote

I gave your pictures the thumbs up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

When I say damage, I dint mean scratches and dents. I mean puntcturing transmission cover, cracking.a wheel. The sort of thing that can leave you stranded.

I would feel bad if I had an ADV bike that didn't have any wear.
View Quote

Those are pretty rare events, unless you're riding rocks and gnarly single track like an imbecile and above your skill level. I've ridden both my Stroms, a KLR, numerous dual sports for a combined 200,000 miles+ in the last 10 years in every sort of condition, and I've never cracked a wheel or busted a case. I've scratched some stuff, broke a foot lever, wrecked a few engine guards, that's it.

The only catastrophic damage I did to a bike was on the pavement. I'd rather tip over go ass-over-tea kettle in the dirt, any day, no matter the bike. Likely not to fuck yourself up there, either, by comparison.

Even the most purpose-built single track machine can be broken in its intended use, but in my experience 99% of the adventure riding doesn't even get close to the bike's potential or really stress them...and even if you really bounce it? You replace a side cover or a wheel. Pretty low cost of repair for the years of good times, IMHO.

But, this conversation gets different when people go fucking crazy and end up on a $30,000 Multistrata Enduro, because I wouldn't feel great subjecting something with $1000 side panels to the kind of shit I do to my Vstrom. I've organized a ton of big-bike adventure rides, and the people who show up range wildly in terms of "willing to actually offroad this thing". Some guys blanch at a rutted up gravel road I could get a mini-van down without issue. Some guys will ride them over anything, no matter what, and there are people in every condition in between.

It's all what you're into, but I think riding adventure bikes offroad is great fun....they're like Jeeps but more challenging. It's usually a group of us anyway and with 3-4 guys there's nothing you can't get bikes over or around if you're determined. I can't imagine just riding pavement anymore, that would be limiting where I want and what I see too much.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Write down the following:

How much money do you have to spend or are willing to spend (include financing).

Where are you actually going to ride (how far away is the dirt).

Are you going long distance.

Do you plan to camp?

Do you have friends to ride with?

Do you like the bike?

Will it do what you want it to do?

Now take this advice: Fuck the labels.

For the bikes you picked:
The Honda- I don't know enough about them. Nice looking bike.
The BMW - Refined. Gutless.
The Yamaha - Needs suspension.

Of those three bikes I would take the Triumph Tiger 800 XCA.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:51:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You'd be wrong about that, more than likely. The A/T is more dirt oriented than the Vstrom, taller and narrower, more like a dirt bike. It's not an all-day touring machine like a GSA.

If you want road comfort, long distance legs and pavement accumen, the Africa Twin the LEAST likely of the liter adventure bikes. That said, I TOTALLY want one because it's more dirt oriented. I ride mine offroad, as much as I can.

Remember, it's got 18/21" tubed tires...it was built to be more dual sport than road machine.
View Quote

I'm not looking for much more out of the AT. My problem with the Vstrom was it started lagging at about 70mph, it could do more than that, but it was more comfortable at 70 or below. I just want 10 more mph and don't need any improvements beyond that as far as long days go. The literature, for what it's worth seems to say the AT is ok up to 80mph.

I definitely get that the big ADV bikes would spank an AT on the road, but are they really ADV bikes anymore? If I'm going to get an ADV I want it to be dirt capable. And I don't want to make it any harder on myself than is really necessary. So yeah the 1200GS and 1290s can do trail, but is that the bike I would enjoy a trail on especially as someone less experienced? Anyways, I'm not willing to spend the $16-20k they want for those machines.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Write down the following:

How much money do you have to spend or are willing to spend (include financing).
14k upper limit, cash
Where are you actually going to ride (how far away is the dirt).
lots of dirt roads in this state, imagine there are logging trails and such too
Are you going long distance.
Yep, have in the past. Enjoy it a lot
Do you plan to camp?
Yep again. Have done so and enjoyed it.
Do you have friends to ride with?
None anywhere near me
Do you like the bike?
That is the point this time around. It has to do something for me, can't just be the "best choice" like choosing a good value family sedan
Will it do what you want it to do?
That's what I'm wrestling with
Now take this advice: Fuck the labels.
Only reason I would care about brands is maintenance costs and availability.
For the bikes you picked:
The Honda- I don't know enough about them. Nice looking bike.
The BMW - Refined. Gutless.
The Yamaha - Needs suspension.

Of those three bikes I would take the Triumph Tiger 800 XCA.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Adventure riders in their packs of silver BMWs and orange KTMs with matchy-matchy Klim gear are giant dorks.

I say this as someone with an airhead GS that has ~130k miles on it.  Dorks.
View Quote

I must say I am a bit over this ADV craze, but I would still like to have one....but not as my only bike, no way.  For the OP, so many ADV bikes can also be decent tourers, so really you just have to decide on other factors.  Bikes are emotional purchases after all.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:09:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'm not looking for much more out of the AT. My problem with the Vstrom was it started lagging at about 70mph, it could do more than that, but it was more comfortable at 70 or below. I just want 10 more mph and don't need any improvements beyond that as far as long days go. The literature, for what it's worth seems to say the AT is ok up to 80mph.

I definitely get that the big ADV bikes would spank an AT on the road, but are they really ADV bikes anymore? If I'm going to get an ADV I want it to be dirt capable. And I don't want to make it any harder on myself than is really necessary. So yeah the 1200GS and 1290s can do trail, but is that the bike I would enjoy a trail on especially as someone less experienced? Anyways, I'm not willing to spend the $16-20k they want for those machines.
View Quote

Just realize that you're kind of asking everything of a bike...you want all day comfort, stability and grunt @70+mph and trail manners? That's a tall order. The Strom & the A/T are about as good as you'll ever find in balancing all of those things, tho, at a decent price.

The A/T is probably going to be preferable to the Strom in a lot of ways, but it well should be, it's a more modern design and several thousand more $$.

The dirt worthiness of the A/T is impressive for it's size, everyone I know who has rode one loved it offroad for a big tourer, but some of that comes at a cost to its highway manners. 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:13:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Just realize that you're kind of asking everything of a bike...you want all day comfort, stability and grunt @70+mph and trail manners? That's a tall order. The Strom & the A/T are about as good as you'll ever find in balancing all of those things, tho, at a decent price.

The A/T is probably going to be preferable to the Strom in a lot of ways, but it well should be, it's a more modern design and several thousand more $.

The dirt worthiness of the A/T is impressive for it's size, everyone I know who has rode one loved it offroad for a big tourer, but some of that comes at a cost to its highway manners. 
View Quote

Edit
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Edit
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

All day comfort is a relative term. I'm confident that the AT would meet my needs in comfort, stability, and trail. The unknown is whether or not it has the spark for me. I know I'll have to try riding one.
View Quote

Uh oh, you one of those "it doesn't have any soul" riders? 

Just be aware, one of the few complaints of the A/T is it's not a powerhouse...it makes respectable power, and if you really use it for what it was intended, that's a good thing. 150hp is tits on a bull offroad, so having 90+ at the rear wheel will be perfect.

I'm much more of a "ride" than "bike" guy, so I don't get the whole spark thing....if it works, I like it, they all have their issues.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:18:23 PM EDT
[#47]
I bought an 05 VStrom 650 a couple years ago, after taking the advice from arfcommers.  

It has been a wonderful bike for me.   I haven't ridden it on an interstate, but it gets me down the road at 75mph with ease.  I've never felt underpowered, but I'm not a speed junky.    The gas milage and range is great.

I haven taken it off road as much as I thought I would, but I ride it so much more than the cruiser I used to have.  I'd love a new one someday.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:23:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I must say I am a bit over this ADV craze, but I would still like to have one....but not as my only bike, no way.  For the OP, so many ADV bikes can also be decent tourers, so really you just have to decide on other factors.  Bikes are emotional purchases after all.
View Quote

I don't know about a craze as I am the only one around in my area. But I am just the opposite of you. If I could only have one bike it would be an adv bike. Versatile, comfortable, and fun. Super practical for a commuter or a trip around the world.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I don't know about a craze as I am the only one around in my area. But I am just the opposite of you. If I could only have one bike it would be an adv bike. Versatile, comfortable, and fun. Super practical for a commuter or a trip around the world.
View Quote

Sure I could see that for many people.  Bikes are just wknd toys for me, I like to go up to the mountains and push them hard for a day, so I don't really care about comfort, commuting, and versatility but I get that for sure.  I have always owned sport bikes (Ducatis mostly) but current bike is a Triumph I did the whole cafe thing to.  Modding it and playing 'dress up' has also been a fun part of it for me, can't really do that with an ADV, but yea I would like to get one but just can't justify two bikes right now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sure I could see that for many people.  Bikes are just wknd toys for me, I like to go up to the mountains and push them hard for a day, so I don't really care about comfort, commuting, and versatility but I get that for sure.  I have always owned sport bikes (Ducatis mostly) but current bike is a Triumph I did the whole cafe thing to.  Modding it has also been a fun part of it for me, can't really do that with an ADV, but yea I would like to get one but just can't justify two bikes right now.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top