Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Modding it has also been a fun part of it for me, can't really do that with an ADV
View Quote

Not sure if serious.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:47:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Uh oh, you one of those "it doesn't have any soul" riders? 

Just be aware, one of the few complaints of the A/T is it's not a powerhouse...it makes respectable power, and if you really use it for what it was intended, that's a good thing. 150hp is tits on a bull offroad, so having 90+ at the rear wheel will be perfect.

I'm much more of a "ride" than "bike" guy, so I don't get the whole spark thing....if it works, I like it, they all have their issues.
View Quote

The way I would describe the Strom is that it was 90% of what I wanted at 60% of the price. That made it a logical decision. Maybe it's just too ugly?No really, it could be as simple as me liking the looks of the AT better.

And I get what you're saying about the ride vs the bike. I got that feeling of enjoying the ride with the strom. But I'm greedy. I want both.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:53:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I bought an 05 VStrom 650 a couple years ago, after taking the advice from arfcommers.  

It has been a wonderful bike for me.   I haven't ridden it on an interstate, but it gets me down the road at 75mph with ease.  I've never felt underpowered, but I'm not a speed junky.    The gas milage and range is great.

I haven taken it off road as much as I thought I would, but I ride it so much more than the cruiser I used to have.  I'd love a new one someday.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I bought an 05 VStrom 650 a couple years ago, after taking the advice from arfcommers.  

It has been a wonderful bike for me.   I haven't ridden it on an interstate, but it gets me down the road at 75mph with ease.  I've never felt underpowered, but I'm not a speed junky.    The gas milage and range is great.

I haven taken it off road as much as I thought I would, but I ride it so much more than the cruiser I used to have.  I'd love a new one someday.

Including me. And I stand by every good thing and recommendation I've made regarding the DL650. As for speed, 75mph wasn't a problem. 75mph at hour 4 was a problem. Just had to keep it under 70 for longer term comfort. Small niggle I know.

Quoted:

Not sure if serious.

He can't be. My property damage insurance payout exceeded the purchase price of the bike given everything that was on it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:54:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey OP, I about forgot to ask.  What dealers do you have closest to you?  I would have loved to have bought a Triumph Tiger 800XC, but the nearest Triumph dealer from where I live is like 6 hours away so that will never happen.  Something you should consider is at least buying a brand that has a local dealer if there are any problems / warranty work or you need to order specific parts.  I'd steer clear of any brand that doesn't have a dealer within 60-70 miles.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:56:48 PM EDT
[#5]
the kawasaki versys 640 and 1000 should be at the top of the list. I've owned both a vstrom and a versys and the versys is a better bike by every possible measure. as for trying to decide between a sport tourer vs and adv bike. sit down and objectively look at the riding you do, not the riding you envision yourself doing. if that riding happens to be mostly on the pavement. then skip the adv bike. also as I'm sure you're aware people have done plenty of offroad riding on the the vstrom and the versys. honestly I kind of don't get the africa twin, it's incredibly heavy and top heavy at that for a bike deigned ostensibly to live most of it's life away from pavement.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:59:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hey OP, I about forgot to ask.  What dealers do you have closest to you?  I would have loved to have bought a Triumph Tiger 800XC, but the nearest Triumph dealer from where I live is like 6 hours away so that will never happen.  Something you should consider is at least buying a brand that has a local dealer if there are any problems / warranty work or you need to order specific parts.  I'd steer clear of any brand that doesn't have a dealer within 60-70 miles.
View Quote

Triumph is 130mi away. That is an issue if I were to want something from them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:00:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
the kawasaki versys 640 and 1000 should be at the top of the list. I've owned both a vstrom and a versys and the versys is a better bike by every possible measure. as for trying to decide between a sport tourer vs and adv bike. sit down and objectively look at the riding you do, not the riding you envision yourself doing. if that riding happens to be mostly on the pavement. then skip the adv bike. also as I'm sure you're aware people have done plenty of offroad riding on the the vstrom and the versys. honestly I kind of don't get the africa twin, it's incredibly heavy and top heavy at that for a bike deigned ostensibly to live most of it's life away from pavement.
View Quote

AT top heavy? I've only sat on one so far, but it was the same or lower felt CG than my strom.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:05:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not sure if serious.
View Quote

I am talking about transforming the whole bike basically.  What am I going to do with an ADV, add some crash bars and panniers, etc?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:08:37 PM EDT
[#9]
You're in Vermont now?  Lots of nice dirt roads in Vermont.

I have a DR650 and a Road King, if I could only have one it would be the DR.

The GS 800 and 1200 are the sexiest bikes IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:15:52 PM EDT
[#11]
The Sport Tourer is going to be more comfortable on long rides.

The ADV bike is going to allow you to go more places, but if you don't really see yourself going those "other places" in any reality......then what benefit are you achieving with that sacrifice of comfort, power, and handling?  

I'm with you on the ADV bike love, but the better it is on the dirt, the suckier it is going to be on long road trips.  

Personally, when I think of an ADV bike that I'd want, I'd be in the super tenere/gs1200r/V-strom1000 category.  I don't want to go ride technical trails, I just want to be able to ride down fire roads/forest roads/etc.  The bigger bikes will be more comfortable to ride where they'd be the most (pavement) for distances, but they won't be thrown off so bad by semi-maintained dirt roads.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:23:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Yea, there is nothing touring about that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:24:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I'm at over 80k on my Vstrom 650, if I got another bike, I'd probably go with the new Vstrom 1000. Simply because I've used the Current one for canyon carving, fire trails, and touring (with different tires of course). Adventure bikes are great depending on which model. I would love an Africa Twin, but the BMWs above the 800 are far too bloated IMO. For sport touring, I've always wanted a CBR1100xx with Corbin beetle bags, or a VFR800, though some of the new ones are pretty nice. A coworker of mine has a BMW k1200s with hard bags for is commuter, and it's a pretty sweet setup.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:24:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I am talking about transforming the whole bike basically.  What am I going to do with an ADV, add some crash bars and panniers, etc?
View Quote
All that shit you would do to a road bike, think the same thing to a ADV + a whole bunch of stuff you never considered. ADV bikes are extreme farkle platforms. Lights, clutches, custom suspensions, bash plates, bark busters, heated seats, tubeless spoked wheels, windshields, reserve tanks, raised fenders, etc...etc...etc...
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:28:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
All that shit you would do to a road bike, think the same thing to a ADV + a whole bunch of stuff you never considered. ADV bikes are extreme farkle platforms. Lights, clutches, custom suspensions, bash plates, bark busters, heated seats, tubeless spoked wheels, windshields, reserve tanks, raised fenders, etc...etc...etc...
View Quote

Yea I get that, but it is still an ADV bike when all done.  I was talking about making a bike into something else basically, which I surely wouldn't want to do with an ADV, would defeat the purpose. I think y'all are missing my motive when I said that.  I am well aware one can spend tons on ADV accessories.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:36:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here's what someone did in the first 15 days of ownership:

Africa Twin with farkles
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:40:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yea I get that, but it is still an ADV bike when all done.  I was talking about making a bike into something else basically, which I surely wouldn't want to do with an ADV, would defeat the purpose. I think y'all are missing my motive when I said that.  I am well aware one can spend tons on ADV accessories.
View Quote
Ah ok, like making a bobber out of a goldwing.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:43:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're talking about builds, not mods. And, yeah, why transform a hammer into a jigsaw? I get that....but you don't buy an ADV bike wanting to make a cafe or a bagger out of it....it's a multi-tool, anything you do to radically transform it makes it a single-tool.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:45:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You're talking about builds, not mods. And, yeah, why transform a hammer into a jigsaw? I get that....but you don't buy an ADV bike wanting to make a cafe or a bagger out of it.
View Quote

Gee, ya know, I need a dump truck.  So I think I'll go buy a new Mustang convertible and 'transform' it!  
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:48:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
the kawasaki versys 640 and 1000 should be at the top of the list. I've owned both a vstrom and a versys and the versys is a better bike by every possible measure.
View Quote

I like the Versys, but I'd argue that statement having owned both myself (at least 650 version of the Versys, I've owned 650/1000 Stroms). As a quasi-adventure bike/standard/light tourer, Versys a great bike but as an adventure bike it's got bigger limitations...engine isn't condusive to it (needs to be revved a lot, makes it impractical offroad). 17" front wheel hobbles it for anything other than street or light gravel, and the cockpit is more cramped/less comfy for bigger guys. It comes down to what you want to do with the bike....I'm more adventure than tour, so the Strom is a better bike than the Versys, but I like the Strom better in almost every way...I think it's more comfortable, I like the power delivery better/torque, it's better offroad and the aftermarket is awesome for it. Reliability is a wash, both are great.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:48:59 PM EDT
[#21]
It's all about getting something you just can't stay off of for many years.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:53:45 PM EDT
[#22]
You deserve nothing less than the Vz.58 of ADV bikes, the Moto Guzzi Stelio NTX.

Best deals are here: Hot Deals Specials

The roller-tappet 1200 8V motors are bulletproof.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:56:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You deserve nothing less than the Vz.58 of ADV bikes, the Moto Guzzi Stelio NTX.https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.omnimoto.it%2FmwpImages%2Fphotogallery%2F2009%2F1337%2Fphotos1280%2Fmoto-guzzi-stelvio-ntx_3.jpg&f=1

View Quote

OP stated he is worried about being 100 miles from a dealership.  His sense of adventure isn't that adventurous.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:59:46 PM EDT
[#24]

I like to think of myself as fairly durable, but OH MY GOD, I CAN FEEL THE PAIN NOW!

I've done a few 1000+ mile trips. I don't think I could pull it off on that without morphine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:01:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

OP stated he is worried about being 100 miles from a dealership.  His sense of adventure isn't that adventurous.  
View Quote

Guzzi owners don't fret the small stuff like being caught out of the dealer network...that's what overnight delivery from the Amex Black Card is for!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:03:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why not get the adventure bike?  If you like BMW 800's then look at the F800GSA.  If you get a sport touring bike, you will ONLY be on the highway.  Why not at least leave the option open for offroading / dirt road cruising if you want to?  It's not like the GSA would be that much worse on the pavement compared to the one you listed.  The pavement is boring in my personal opinion.
https://i0.wp.com/canadamotoguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/GS_wood.jpg?resize=720%2C472&ssl=1
View Quote

Adv, all the way and for the love of god don't get a BMW, especially an f800gs, cheap crimped cartridge forks with no compression or rebound damp adjustment i could go on and on.

It's hard to beat a KLR 650, for a bit extra in mods, you could really have a nice around the world capable machine that won't leave you stranded.  And the simple engine/carb can be worked on and fixed by just about any mechanic in any country.

If you want to spend a bit more money for a lighter more offroad capable machine, get a KTM, they have a few models, the 500exc, 690 enduro R, and 1190 adventure.

You can go anywhere on an adv bike that you can go on a sport tourer but not vice versa.
single and two track to abandoned mining ghost towns out in the mountains of colorado.. big bend, terlingua, the river road and roads to nowhere...

I've had so many motorcycles in my life and if I had to pick just one, it'd be a KLR 650, simple, reliable, capable.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:03:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You deserve nothing less than the Vz.58 of ADV bikes, the Moto Guzzi Stelio NTX.https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.omnimoto.it%2FmwpImages%2Fphotogallery%2F2009%2F1337%2Fphotos1280%2Fmoto-guzzi-stelvio-ntx_3.jpg&f=1

View Quote

You really know how to get to me.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:04:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Guzzi owners don't fret the small stuff like being caught out of the dealer network...that's what overnight delivery from the Amex Black Card is for!
View Quote

I would love to have a Griso!!!

Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:05:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I like to think of myself as fairly durable, but OH MY GOD, I CAN FEEL THE PAIN NOW!

I've done a few 1000+ mile trips. I don't think I could pull it off on that without morphine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OP's sense of adventure involves being able to ride the bike.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:07:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've considered getting an ADV for years, but when you get into curvaceous areas, one simply cannot resist the urge to drag knee. I would get a sport touring bike.
View Quote

You can drag a knee on many of the adventure bikes, and yes with hybrid offroad/road tires like a tkc80 on front and k60 scout rear.
One thing you won't do on a sport bike or sport tourer is reverse lock roosting on a nice flat beach getting sideways in the dirt, it's a completely different kind of fun.

I like sport bikes in the twisties but I've had some bad experience and close calls riding that fast on the street, a treebranch lying in a shadow, cow shit in my line on left handed sweeper near a cliff edge...

Get an ADV bike and don't look back.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:13:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Serious question - have you had a bike that you needed the dealer for something?  If so, what bike and what for?  I've taken cars to the dealer but never a bike.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:14:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Honestly they're about the same.You can do fire roads on both, and tour on both.

I tried the vstrom, felt sorta dead so I got it's Italian twin sister, the aprilia capinord, it feels special.

I would get the Africa twin, just cause that's a super cool bike.

I'd also look hard at the Yamaha super tenere. Amazing bike.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:17:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Serious question - have you had a bike that you needed the dealer for something?  If so, what bike and what for?  I've taken cars to the dealer but never a bike.
View Quote

Less a dealer proximity thing and more a country support thing. I don't want to wait a month for x part to get here. Last dealer thing was a recall though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:21:28 AM EDT
[#34]
The KLR certainly has a deserved reputation and it'd be the bike to ride around the world with no support. But I always looked for the lever to drop the blade when I've rode one. They vibrate like a lawnmower.
I ride with friends who have KTM 990's, BMW f800GS and 1200 GS. The KTM is certainly the better off road bike but it vibrates a bit. The 800GS is pretty good off road but vibrates even more. The 1200GS is huge.
I have a Triumph Tiger that I've taken to Alaska (Hyder counts!) all over the western US and down the Baja a little ways. It'll do Jeep trails and rides pretty good on the pavement. And the motor is smooth!
The correct answer is get both!

Lot's of long dirt roads around here
l

And this one is going to get sold this Spring. That's what I've told myself the past few years. But I love it too much!

But really, you had a wee-strom. You should have a pretty good idea of what you want. But I guess you succeeded in getting us to talk about bikes!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:27:31 AM EDT
[#35]
I work for a company that makes aftermarket and OEM motorcycle equipment.

One of the benefits is that we buy one of each of every new model each year for development purposes (and then later sell them, unless it's a real standout motorcycle).

Most of our "permanent collection" are BMWs, and I've put a lot of miles on all of them. My favorite bike for years has been the R1200GS, and the new liquid-cooled version has a monster of a motor.

It's not as off-road agile as the R80 G/S Paris-Dakar I used to own, but it makes up for it in a million ways.

The GS was everyone's favorite until the CRF1000L Africa Twin came in. Everybody who's ridden it says it's the best bike they've ever been on (I haven't had a chance to ride it yet).

We also just got a KTM 1190 Adventure, but we haven't tested it yet.

I didn't like the F800GS that much -- too peaky for my style of riding. Plus, it wouldn't be that much of an upgrade from your V-Strom.

Based on my coworker's opinions, get the Africa Twin. My recommendation is the R1200GS. Either will be a big improvement over your V-Strom. Neither will leave you wanting for more.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:31:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got a stable of Guzzis. Most are extraordinarily reliable. There have been a few problem engines but the roller-tappet 8V 1200s are amazing. Keep the oil changed and just ride.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:41:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Less a dealer proximity thing and more a country support thing. I don't want to wait a month for x part to get here. Last dealer thing was a recall though.
View Quote

Fair enough.  Scratch my MV Agusta recommendation then.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:49:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I've got a stable of Guzzis. Most are extraordinarily reliable. There have been a few problem engines but the roller-tappet 8V 1200s are amazing. Keep the oil changed and just ride.
View Quote

They've gotten better, but they remind me of 90's BMW's....either rock solid or a pile of putrid shit. All the Guzzi owners I've talked to have either had one or the other....in equal measures. Electrical gremlins galore, my buddy's Norge had electrical gremlins that drove him nuts, and it would vapor lock and not run right hot. He replaced it with a Caponord, and it was even worse. lol He traded for a newer Caponord and it's been solid. Eh, Italians.

I love the idea of them, but I couldn't gamble on something with so sparse a dealer network comfortably.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:52:13 AM EDT
[#39]
A motorcycle or a car for that matter is a complicated thing and to get one to last takes an incredible amount of thought and. teamwork.  Lots of turds among the shining beauties.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:05:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Fair enough.  Scratch my MV Agusta recommendation then.  
View Quote

Noted.

It's a hobby, but I will use this bike. I did almost everything on my bike when the weather was conducive, easily put more miles on the bike than the car. Commuting, errands, groceries. I could put a cart of groceries on my bike and did so regularly. So a month out of service is a non starter
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:16:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Riding a motorcycle is pretty scary sometimes.  You have to be prepared to meet your maker everytime you swing your leg over that mother and fire it up.   If you listen to people trying to scare you.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:34:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Riding a motorcycle is pretty scary sometimes.  You have to be prepared to meet your maker everytime you swing your leg over that mother and fire it up.   If you listen to people trying to scare you.
View Quote

Kind of an odd thing to say given the thread context. But I appreciate your concern.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:39:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Kind of an odd thing to say given the thread context. But I appreciate your concern.
View Quote

If you're not scaring yourself and scaring yourself even more then it's no longer fun.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:40:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If you're not scaring yourself and scaring yourself even more then it's no longer fun.
View Quote

To a degree I suppose. I am intimately familiar with possible negative outcomes of motorcycling though, and I still want to ride.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:44:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

To a degree I suppose. I am intimately familiar with possible negative outcomes of motorcycling though, and I still want to ride.
View Quote

I love riding.  I understand completely.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:10:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

You have just described about 99% of Honda products...

I will give up a lot of soul for boring reliability.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You have just described about 99% of Honda products...

I will give up a lot of soul for boring reliability.
View Quote

I'm in the same boat. I had some fickle bikes and given that I adventure or offroad ride, that really put the damper on their fun. It's one thing when your bike won't start in the Panera parking lot. It's altogether different when you're 18 miles from the nearest road in the middle of the woods on  hills so steep you can't push the bike up to get out. BTDT, walked the whole way to civilization in fucking MX boots.

I'm getting ready to do a ride out west and up the CDT into Canada on my Strom. One of my riding buddies has a GS800 which has been a reliability issue since he bought it, he wants to go but when we sat down and talked about it I asked him how confident he felt about his bike making all 6,000 miles without issue. He kind of made the "yeah,  not very" face and said he'd probably trade the bike before summer when we left. I don't even give mine a second thought...I'm confident it'll get me there without issue.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Well even the BMW dealer echoed sentiments about the F800GT. Said the seating postion was too sporty for long term and the engine didn't measure up to the seating pretentions.

They have a couple R1200 RS models for cheaper than the F800GT. Im not sure I want to go that big, but maybe ill ride it and see whats there.

But I keep coming back to the AT though. Took a drive around today and saw promising dirt roads. Did some more reading on its road manners and it seems they are acceptably improved over the Vstrom in the category Im concerned about (350cc makes a difference? Who could have seen that?!). But Ill have to ride it to see for myself.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:32:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Highs have been in the 60s here for the past couple days and I'm without a motorcycle for the first time in 12 years.  This thread is starting to give me the itch again.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:36:45 AM EDT
[#50]
I really like my FJ 09
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top