[#2]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Dead mice.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 4:44:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A for effort, don't know why I would pick one up. Are you going to make a hat out of it?
View Quote

Their guard hairs are worth $70+ an ounce, quills are worth 10-15 an Oz and skulls are $20.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I always hate when we have to go hands on with someone who is bleeding and no time to glove up.

Last time was a trip to the hospital and they gave me the round of cocktails
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, but I have to use a crowbar to get them out of their BMWs, so I just leave my gloves with the crowbar.

On a serious note, yes, but I'll have a set of gloves within 10-20 seconds of me if not on me. Available: deerskin leather work gloves, deerskin insulated leather gloves, leather mechanic gloves, m-pact mechanics gloves, uniform gloves, nitrile gloves. All in the car.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 4:50:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wat? Who buys this stuff and what in heaven's name do they do with that stuff?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their guard hairs are worth $70+ an ounce, quills are worth 10-15 an Oz and skulls are $20.
Wat? Who buys this stuff and what in heaven's name do they do with that stuff?

Fly Tying I would bet.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 4:51:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a basket ball size snapping turtle in my basement window well.   I tried every idea to get it out.  I finally lassoed the top shell with a piece of rope and pulled it straight up.  That was one angry snapping turtle.   I took it back to the river where I let it go.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

How do you sell them? Fur Auctions, Etsy, etc.?

FIL is a huge trapper up North, but only messes with pelts. Seems there is a secondary market for animal teeth & claws on Etsy type sites.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#12]
C'mon OP....a dead porkie? You look like you have been around the woods a bit.....hind paw, no problem. Have skinned many....they roast pretty good
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 4:55:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How do you sell them? Fur Auctions, Etsy, etc.?

FIL is a huge trapper up North, but only messes with pelts. Seems there is a secondary market for animal teeth & claws on Etsy type sites.
View Quote

I give em to my taxidermist in exchange for tanning coyote pelts.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had a basket ball size snapping turtle in my basement window well.   I tried every idea to get it out.  I finally lassoed the top shell with a piece of rope and pulled it straight up.  That was one angry snapping turtle.   I took it back to the river where I let it go.
View Quote

My dad recalled hauling the biggest one he ever saw on a fork handle between him and brother.  Turtle bit middle of handle and they picked it up over their shoulders and carried it home.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

To say nothing of the urine.........
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks cold as hell in Mexico
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well I grab my penis every day
View Quote
" With JUMPER CABLES ? "

Fuuuuuck dude.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Fly Tying I would bet.
View Quote

The quills make nice hatbands, jewelry, and Native American style bead-work.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:01:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
C'mon OP....a dead porkie? You look like you have been around the woods a bit.....hind paw, no problem. Have skinned many....they roast pretty good
View Quote

Fatty critters, but you'd have to be hungry to get past the musky stench.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#21]
  I have eaten the greasy fuckers, cooked over coals,  open fire.
   Strong gamey  flavor, greasy like  pork belly, Just  how you  would imagine a  really big RAT would taste.
  The HEART was best part, tasted  just exactly like a Turkey heart.
 Porcupine is damn sure not any delicacy, but will keep you alive.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:33:50 PM EDT
[#22]
TLDR I once shot a porcupine in the middle of the night while naked.

About twenty years ago I was awoken by some noise. As I listened I made out the unmistakable sound of something chewing on the house. I jumped out of bed and flipped on the front spots to have a look. Well the lights must have startled the culprit, it was a good sized porc and he was waddling off down the road as fast as he could. So I throw on my flip flops and grabbed the Marlin 22Mag bolt action tubular fed as well as a flashlight and went out to give chase. I caught up to him about 40 yards down the road and lit him up with the light. He was dispatched with a 22mag to the brain bucket. I then looked up back toward the house at the lights and then I slowly looked down, I was naked.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Looks cold as hell in Mexico
View Quote

We slept out in it Friday night. -28 Celsius.

I was getting frostbite holding the spotlight out the window while we drove.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:00:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
...and slowly looked down, I was naked.
View Quote

We do not need video proof of this adventure.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:16:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...and slowly looked down, I was naked.

Plus eleventybillion
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:19:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

About twenty years ago I was awoken by some noise. As I listened I made out the unmistakable sound of something chewing on the house. I jumped out of bed and flipped on the front spots to have a look. Well the lights must have startled the culprit, it was a good sized porc and he was waddling off down the road as fast as he could. So I throw on my flip flops and grabbed the Marlin 22Mag bolt action tubular fed as well as a flashlight and went out to give chase. I caught up to him about 40 yards down the road and lit him up with the light. He was dispatched with a 22mag to the brain bucket. I then looked up back toward the house at the lights and then I slowly looked down, I was naked.
View Quote

No you weren't you had flip flops on.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There's no restrictions on killing porcupines in NY. I've never actually gone out and tried to kill one though.
View Quote

Wut?
No restrictions on something in NY? You've got to be mistaken.

Nice pic, OP.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:31:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Would it be less dangerous with gloves?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:34:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I used to break chunks of the shingles on the side of the house I grew up in in NH back in the early '70's to throw..shingles were all asbestos
still here..only wish is I were younger .....so far
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#30]
My dad had a cabin on the Allegheny River.  One night going out to the outhouse a porcupine ran in front of me and up a tree.

Got  a flashlight, a 45 and an extension ladder.  Leaned it on the tree and climbed up so I was just under the limb it was on and then shot it.  When it feel off the limb it missed me by an inch.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:53:25 PM EDT
[#31]
It snows in Mexico ...
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:01:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Pretty much always have gloves, shoves and pliers with me for picking up stuff. I did learn a lesson about keeping boots nearby after breaking a rifle on a charging wounded raccoon. Seemed like a better idea than kicking him with a pair of crocs on.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:02:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My dad had a cabin on the Allegheny River.  One night going out to the outhouse a porcupine ran in front of me and up a tree.

Got  a flashlight, a 45 and an extension ladder.  Leaned it on the tree and climbed up so I was just under the limb it was on and then shot it.  When it feel off the limb it missed me by an inch.
View Quote

Bullshit.....everyone knows a porky doesn't run.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:16:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Does using dry leaves to pull grass out of my dogs ass count?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:17:45 PM EDT
[#35]
I've only ever seen one of those here. where did you shoot that? Only time I ever saw one was dead on the side of hwy 410 west of Cliffdell.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:18:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Pretty damn ingenious OP.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:22:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
And this is why I keep coming back to read posts on GD. That's some, uh, serious mental focus you've got there.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:26:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:31:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Biggest porcupine I ever saw was in Kunar province back in Marawara Valley. Was walking in at night to check out roads for some follow on stuff we wanted to do and all the sudden two massive porcupines rolled out in the middle of the road fighting or screwing and made the weirdest noises then ran off into the wheat. Captain wanted to go check out the house they came out of. Nah man, I don't need dick high porcupine problems in my life, you go check it out.

Good times
Blake
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:47:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I've only ever seen one of those here. where did you shoot that? Only time I ever saw one was dead on the side of hwy 410 west of Cliffdell.
View Quote

St john.

Shot 2 this weekend within 20 miles of each other.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:49:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The porcupine thinks it's running.
Why you gotta be that way bro?  
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:54:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My dad recalled hauling the biggest one he ever saw on a fork handle between him and brother.  Turtle bit middle of handle and they picked it up over their shoulders and carried it home.
View Quote

That was the first thing I tried. I tried 2 different size handles.  That turtle would hit the handle hard but not bite it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:16:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

St john.

Shot 2 this weekend within 20 miles of each other.
View Quote

And here I always thought you were over here on the wet side. I haven't been over in the Palouse in many years. I really miss that area. Growing up at the base of the Blue mountains hunting in the wheat fields and scab land along the Snake river was good times. When I retire, we're moving over near Lewiston.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:19:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And here I always thought you were over here on the wet side. I haven't been over in the Palouse in many years. I really miss that area. Growing up at the base of the Blue mountains hunting in the wheat fields and scab land along the Snake river was good times. When I retire, we're moving over near Lewiston.
View Quote

I can hop on a dirt bike and ride from my front porch up around on Lewis peak.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 7:47:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
There's no restrictions on killing porcupines in NY. I've never actually gone out and tried to kill one though.
View Quote

None here in Michigan either. Two reasons....they are pretty destructive; they will live in a single white pine all winter, girdle the tree and ruin it. They will also winter in your cabin or camp and chew hell out of everything. The second reason always intrigued me as a kid.....they are the only animal easily killed with a club. It was always said they were handy if a trapper was lost and hungry, and needed meat.

An old timer I hunt with kills every one he see's. The quills on a large one make awesomely sensitive ice fishing bobbers. He also skins them out, removes the glends, and roasts them in a cast iron roaster. They aren't bad at all.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#46]
I had to tell my FIL to keep his bare hands off of the rabid skunk I had shot.
it took 3 times to get him to understand that he needed to leave it the fuck alone.

I was using a shovel to get it into a trash bag, and thought he should "help".
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:11:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Well I grab my penis every day
View Quote

You can't give yourself herpes.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:38:06 AM EDT
[#48]
I shoot these bastards at my cabin every year - I didn't know they were worth anything.

Attachment Attached File

This one I just stuck in front of my game camera and let freedom eat it

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:48:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You can't give yourself herpes.
View Quote

I think he was referring to the open sores.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top