Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 110
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:29:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have to wonder why they left Kimi out there so long on those red tires! He was losing seconds per lap but they kept him out there for 4-5-6 (can't remember) laps longer than Seb. Had they pitted Kimi the same lap - or one later - than Seb I think he could have caught BOT for third. He was over nine seconds back of BOT after he finally pitted and finished just over two seconds behind.
View Quote
Hmmm... I hadn't considered that. So that's two races they've done that if true. WHY??? I've got no problem with Kimi being fast and pushing Seb to push harder... because he's not a little douche like max.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:43:57 AM EDT
[#2]

"It was a strange race for me missing so much pace - it's not so easy for me to explain."

LOL. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:25:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Interestingly enough Ferrari admits having set up the car for the race and not the qual.. explaining the disappointing results on Saturday !

That is a sign of confidence
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:40:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Interestingly enough Ferrari admits having set up the car for the race and not the qual.. explaining the disappointing results on Saturday !

That is a sign of confidence
View Quote
Makes sense, Vettel has always been gentle on tires to begin with ,and their car yesterday was by far the easiest on tires and brakes.

Some of their strategies are still questionable, but Ferrari has upped their game across the board this year.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:30:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Anybody else seeing no results yet at GPPredictor? I keep seeing "in progress"
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Do you see Alonso staying at Mclaren another year? Because I don't and where would he go for only one year before moving to Renault?
View Quote
If he podiums at the Indy 500, I expect him to stay in Indy Car the remainder of the season.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:26:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If he podiums at the Indy 500, I expect him to stay in Indy Car the remainder of the season.
View Quote
You only go to Indy to win.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:41:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have to wonder why they left Kimi out there so long on those red tires! He was losing seconds per lap but they kept him out there for 4-5-6 (can't remember) laps longer than Seb. Had they pitted Kimi the same lap - or one later - than Seb I think he could have caught BOT for third. He was over nine seconds back of BOT after he finally pitted and finished just over two seconds behind.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point. Hope so!

Dang Kimi... if he could have made an extra 3 seconds, he would have stood on the podium as well.
I'm not a fan of Ferrari strategy at all. Luckily Vettel has made it work twice so far but it could easily fall apart from what I've seen. At least they have a fair bit of tire knowledge ahead of Merc or so it appears right now.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm not a fan of Ferrari strategy at all. Luckily Vettel has made it work twice so far but it could easily fall apart from what I've seen. At least they have a fair bit of tire knowledge ahead of Merc or so it appears right now.
View Quote
Agreed. Their strategy has been suspect for years. Seb is the caliber of driver who can overcome SOME strategy miscalculations... but not enough to overcome all of them... as evidenced in China. Hopefully they keep upping their game.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That race was badass for the second week in a row!

Kimi is so damn slow. Mercedes will win the constructor's championship without a doubt. I would love Vettel to win the driver's championship but I expect it to be Hamilton. As long as Kimi is in the second seat, Ferrari doesn't stand a chance against Mercedes.

I see Alonso, Ricciardo, or Verstappen at Ferrari when Kimi leaves. All three of them are die-hard racing drivers, not the 'content to finish where I finish' fatalistic attitude Kimi brings. Ferrari needs someone that's hungry.
View Quote
I don't think Kimi's slow. The man can drive a car, I just don't think he wants to race. remember he got 'counseled' after last race because he wasnt aggressive enough.

I thought it would make a difference in this race and actually had him 3rd on the podium behind Vettel and Hamilton. maybe third time will be the charm and he'll start racing again in Russia. I don't think I'll trust him enough to waste a slot again though...
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't think Kimi's slow. The man can drive a car, I just don't think he wants to race. remember he got 'counseled' after last race because he wasnt aggressive enough.

I thought it would make a difference in this race and actually had him 3rd on the podium behind Vettel and Hamilton. maybe third time will be the charm and he'll start racing again in Russia. I don't think I'll trust him enough to waste a slot again though...
View Quote
Couldn't agree more, the ice man has currently lost his edge. In fact he lost it when he went to Ferrari. His last couple of years with Lotus he had the edge. Now he just doesn't seem to want to attempt to over take unless its an absolute cake walk.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I know... must be marriage or something. Because many times in practice he outdrives Seb. Once in a while he even outqalifies him IIRC. So Kimi has short term pace... but he just seems like filler out there during races. Definitely no hunger. Though Max is obviously fast, I don't want to see him at Ferrari while Seb is there. I want Seb to be #1 without battling his own teammate. Yeah, that can spur a driver to be faster and can make for exciting battles. But I just don't wanna see it and at least Seb and Kimi get along. He and Max have no love for each other.
View Quote
I know. I wish he'd just make up his mind to give it one good last season and go out on his feet instead of his knees. this seems more like a job to him now...

and yeah, Vettel will have blood spurting out of his eyes if Ferrari picks up Maxi Fish-lips but even though the kid is cheap now, he won't be after this year and I don't know who else has the pockets besides Merc and Ferrari to attract him...
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#13]
The points being made about Kimi seem logical.

I remember an article talking about a certain feeling Kimi needs from the front of his car before he has faith to "hustle" the car on turn entry, and how the newest style geometry being run feels more numb to him in that aspect. Kind of like how driving the blown diffuser felt so awkward to Webber and Seb had no problem with it, I'd suspect the same thing is happening here. Some drivers have that extra ability to adapt, (most) others don't.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The points being made about Kimi seem logical.

I remember an article talking about a certain feeling Kimi needs from the front of his car before he has faith to "hustle" the car on turn entry, and how the newest style geometry being run feels more numb to him in that aspect. Kind of like how driving the blown diffuser felt so awkward to Webber and Seb had no problem with it, I'd suspect the same thing is happening here. Some drivers have that extra ability to adapt, (most) others don't.
View Quote
And I think that is also a huge part of it. In the last 4 years since he returned to Ferrari, he has had 1 (2015) decent car, and this year from all appearances, this year, a really damn good car. However I think the changes in the technology and aero just don't fit his driving style, and he has suffered because of it.

Also part of it is on Ferrari. When he doesn't get a good start, they seem more than willing to just leave him out there lapping on a single compound, essentially taking some of his teeth away. Its an odd relationship.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Seemed like Kimi was driving pretty hard when his contract was up for renewal. I think he's still one of the best drivers there but he just doesn't have the motivation.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:33:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I honestly believe there is a correlation to getting married and becoming a father, to losing their edge.

Grosjean went through it. Heck it messed him up so bad he consulted a sports psych.

Sebs bad year with RB was during the birth of his first daughter.

Massa slumped at the birth of his boy.

Etc etc.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I honestly believe there is a correlation to getting married and becoming a father, to losing their edge.

Grosjean went through it. Heck it messed him up so bad he consulted a sports psych.

Sebs bad year with RB was during the birth of his first daughter.

Mass slumped at the birth of his boy.

Etc etc.
View Quote
Didn't even know he had a kid.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Didn't even know he had a kid.
View Quote
Married with 2 daughters

He lives a very private life, I respect him for that. Apparently he has a huge collection old motorcycles and tractors.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Married with 2 daughters

He lives a very private life, I respect him for that. Apparently he has a huge collection old motorcycles and tractors.
View Quote
From what I know he is not married, just a very long time girlfriend. Hanna Prater is her name. They have been together since they were kids. Daughters Emilie, and Matilda.

I agree, I love that he keeps his life very private. My 7 year old son idolizes him, I honestly cant think of a better role model for him to look up to.

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

From what I know he is not married, just a very long time girlfriend. Hanna Prater is her name. They have been together since they were kids. Daughters Emilie, and Matilda.

I agree, I love that he keeps his life very private. My 7 year old son idolizes him, I honestly cant think of a better role model for him to look up to.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-babhPD98hag/UYyaMYISvyI/AAAAAAAAKU8/IhaRC7sSkrQ/s1600/Sebastian+Vettel+Girlfriend+Hanna+Prater+2013_1.jpg
View Quote
Totally agree. Seb's all about the sport and just a motorhead. Lewis is certainly a real competitor... but the celebrity is his schtick. I really like Seb's genuineness and sincerity. No glitter or hollywood bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Married with 2 daughters

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#22]
2017 Bahrain Grand Prix: Best of Team Radio
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Totally agree. Seb's all about the sport and just a motorhead. Lewis is certainly a real competitor... but the celebrity is his schtick. I really like Seb's genuineness and sincerity. No glitter or hollywood bullshit.
View Quote
He really does strike me as one of a handful of F1 drivers that would do it for 100 grand a year.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#24]

2 stroke three cylinder. Jay Leno has one, it's a pretty rare bike.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

He really does strike me as one of a handful of F1 drivers that would do it for 100 grand a year.
View Quote
Totally agree!

Ham would be DJ'ing, rapping, or "acting" in Fast and Furious XX or something.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Very cool. Surprised he's not on an old Ducati cafe racer or a Moto Guzzi.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:42:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hmmm... I hadn't considered that. So that's two races they've done that if true. WHY??? I've got no problem with Kimi being fast and pushing Seb to push harder... because he's not a little douche like max.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I looked it up: Seb pitted on lap 33 and they didn't bring Kimi in until 37. I recall Kimi being over nine seconds back of Bottas when he rejoined. At that point I figured he didn't have a chance and I was more concerned about Ric catching Kimi (though  RIC pitted again and nixed that concern).

I kind of forgot about Kimi at that point as we were all watching Lewis and Seb, but saw that Kimi was only 2.078 seconds back at the finish. Anyway, I think had Ferrari pitted Kimi two laps sooner he'd have been in DRS range with a couple laps left, and would've passed a struggling Bottas.

I am a Kimi fan and am trying like mad to hold out hope. I think being on the podium would really boost his confidence and silence the critics. But, I digress.

References:

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2017/races/961/bahrain/pit-stop-summary.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Bahrain_Grand_Prix
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-babhPD98hag/UYyaMYISvyI/AAAAAAAAKU8/IhaRC7sSkrQ/s1600/Sebastian+Vettel+Girlfriend+Hanna+Prater+2013_1.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Married with 2 daughters

I had no idea Seb had kids! With his highschool sweetheart to boot. It'd be really easy for a guy like Seb to let his fame/money get to his head, but looks like he's a guy that sticks to his roots. Good for him; very commendable.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Before he was a famous F1 driver, a young Fernando Alonso was a world class accordion player.

https://youtu.be/Gxs2acuU8Sc

..just kidding, but they could be brothers. Seems if you want to be taken seriously as an accordion player, you have to know how to play that piece of music. It's pretty incredible to hear live.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I had no idea Seb had kids! With his highschool sweetheart to boot. It'd be really easy for a guy like Seb to let his fame/money get to his head, but looks like he's a guy that sticks to his roots. Good for him; very commendable.
View Quote
I met him post 2011 season, and even after completely dominating that year, he was still humble as hell, and grateful to the engineers for the amazing effort the put in to give him one of the best cars in F1 history.   Lewis on the other hand, is not humble... even after his complete turd of a season that year, he still felt that his shit didn't stink, he was congenial and outgoing, but you could feel the aura of superiority that he exudes.  I've not liked him since that meet and greet, and I was one of his biggest supporters in the years before.

Seb reminds me so much of Schumacher that it's not funny, the privacy, the humility, the absolute thirst for blood on track.  They are a lot alike.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:48:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I met him post 2011 season, and even after completely dominating that year, he was still humble as hell, and grateful to the engineers for the amazing effort the put in to give him one of the best cars in F1 history.   Lewis on the other hand, is not humble... even after his complete turd of a season that year, he still felt that his shit didn't stink, he was congenial and outgoing, but you could feel the aura of superiority that he exudes.  I've not liked him since that meet and greet, and I was one of his biggest supporters in the years before.

Seb reminds me so much of Schumacher that it's not funny, the privacy, the humility, the absolute thirst for blood on track.  They are a lot alike.  
View Quote
I don't know, I see a completely different Hamilton. I just see him as a person his age having fun. for a guy who performs at his level, makes that kind of money and receive the kind of accolades he does, I wonder how he manages to stay as humble as he does...
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:29:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Vijay Mallya has (finally?) been arrested in London for his $1.45 billion in outstanding debts in India.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:54:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Vijay Mallya has (finally?) been arrested in London for his $1.45 billion in outstanding debts in India.
View Quote
I hope his BS doesn't hurt the team  really enjoy watching them do well, especially Perez.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:55:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dude has been stuck in the UK for years.

Bahrain testing: Honda issues, Hamilton breaks down and Ricardo fastest.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I hope his BS doesn't hurt the team  really enjoy watching them do well, especially Perez.
View Quote
They will be fine, Vijays involvement has been very low over the last two years.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

They will be fine, Vijays involvement has been very low over the last two years.
View Quote
He still owns 43% of the team, he may be forced to sell it. Who knows.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

He still owns 43% of the team, he may be forced to sell it. Who knows.
View Quote
That could be problematic then. Overall managing of the team and such has been out of his direct hands for a bit. He brought in people for that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:18:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
still?..
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know, I see a completely different Hamilton. I just see him as a person his age having fun. for a guy who performs at his level, makes that kind of money and receive the kind of accolades he does, I wonder how he manages to stay as humble as he does...
http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/911fan/ARFCOM/Humor/you_are_serious_zpsmf53qmzr.gif
lol. yeah, I am serious. I think he's respectful of other drivers and I don't hear him complaining like some others. so what if he leads a rock star life style? he is one...
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:19:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
still?..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
still?..
Yep still.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:22:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yeap still.
  I tallied my pts manually.  I'm changing my team name to Manor Honda
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
still?..
Yep still.
Yeap still.
  I tallied my pts manually.  I'm changing my team name to Manor Honda
Same hear.."still in progress"
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#44]
I forgot to make my predictions two races in a row...
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Predictor results finally up.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#46]
I finally changed my team name to XD_Fan and jumped to second.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Scuderia Pooby dropping like a stone.

I gotta stop trying to be a smartie and go with my gut. It cost me big time in the last two races.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:40:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

https://hasmclarenbrokendown.com/

Yes they broke down in testing today.
View Quote
I wondered what the www.haspastorcrashedyet.com guy was going to do once the Red Menace left F1.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

https://hasmclarenbrokendown.com/

Yes they broke down in testing today.
View Quote
I would find it funny if Mclaren didn't have such a great racing history.

Honda may end up being the end of it
Page / 110
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top